The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 November 2017, 10:57 AM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
2.3 seconds is child's play

https://www.yahoo.com/news/watch-tes...145710004.html

boom. not a tesla fan but this is nasty.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 11:00 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Holy crap... 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds. Wow!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 11:11 AM   #3
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Impressive for sure. But very uneventful. Not a milestone by any means in automotive history. I know, this comment might rub a few of my TRF friends the wrong way, but I believe automotive is exactly that, pistons, combustion, valves etc. not an electronic, battery operated gizmo....don’t worry, I will watch for the stones tossed at me, I am a big boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 11:14 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Impressive for sure. But very uneventful. Not a milestone by any means in automotive history. I know, this comment might rub a few of my TRF friends the wrong way, but I believe automotive is exactly that, pistons, combustion, valves etc. not an electronic, battery operated gizmo....don’t worry, I will watch for the stones tossed at me, I am a big boy!

No stones coming from this direction I know exactly what you mean and it brings up an interesting discussion. The engineering excellence required to get a vehicle (powered by an internal combustion engine) to specs anywhere near that is totally mind-blowing.

I'm still impressed they're able to get that thing to put the power down and achieve such a time. Totally see where you're coming from though
Old 18 November 2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:

well like i said im not a tesla fan.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 18 November 2017, 11:44 AM   #6
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:

Spot on. Probably should get an electric daily driver since I already have solar but my fun car needs the soul of a combustion engine
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:

Nic, no stone here just a differing point of view. Merriam-Webster defines the word "automotive" as simply "self-propelled". While I understand your emotional connection to piston, valves etc. They are not what defines an automobile. A Piper and a Gulfstream are both aircraft. They just have differing methods of propulsion. I would suspect that most would say the introduction of the jet engine to be a milestone in aviation history. So it is with a Tesla compared to any vehicle using internal combustion engine.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 12:21 PM   #8
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

Not tossing stones, but 8.8 second 1/4 mile is still probably not "uneventful" even in an electric car. lol.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 12:45 PM   #9
SG56
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
I'm a fan of pistons, valves, sparks, and compression, but also a fan of an acceleration.

I'd take the tesla any time of night or day, as a second car.

Recently test rode in one of the crazy fast ones. Out-of-this-world!!!! Amazing!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:37 PM   #10
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
Recently test rode in one of the crazy fast ones. Out-of-this-world!!!! Amazing!
It's one of those things that causes an involuntary smile. You don't believe it until you've felt it. I'd buy a Tesla tomorrow if they didn't have such frightening buid quality.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 02:43 PM   #11
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
No stones coming from this direction I know exactly what you mean and it brings up an interesting discussion. The engineering excellence required to get a vehicle (powered by an internal combustion engine) to specs anywhere near that is totally mind-blowing.

I'm still impressed they're able to get that thing to put the power down and achieve such a time. Totally see where you're coming from though
It’s quite simple really. The Tesla has an electric motor driving each wheel so it is AWD plus electric motors make maximum torque from idle so there is no gradual buildup of power, it is all available whenever you stab the throttle.

It’s definitely a cool car but I do love the sound of a V8 engine. Twin turbos help too.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 03:06 PM   #12
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

Might as well strap on the JATO and get it under 1 second.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:18 PM   #13
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Call me old fashioned, but I am not a big fan of the new Tesla roadster. I like the design and the stat numbers but where is the sound and soul?

Tesla = Apple Watch
Ferrari (or for that matter Lamborghini or Porsche)= Rolex or AP

I would take the mechanical watch over Apple Watch any day
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 04:24 PM   #14
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
It’s quite simple really. The Tesla has an electric motor driving each wheel so it is AWD plus electric motors make maximum torque from idle so there is no gradual buildup of power, it is all available whenever you stab the throttle.

It’s definitely a cool car but I do love the sound of a V8 engine. Twin turbos help too.
Pretty impressive Yep, the sound a good engine is no doubt equally as important for my enjoyment
Old 18 November 2017, 06:21 PM   #15
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Have to forward until nearly the end but a POV on a 0-70 run

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lose-lunc...195440307.html
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 06:43 PM   #16
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree. It's like driving a iPad; completely soulless. I have a 160bhp Abarth with an automated manual box. 3 times longer to 60 but so much more fun
Old 18 November 2017, 08:05 PM   #17
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Maybe Musk should focus on pitching out more than 300 model 3's a quarter and providing spare fenders for the model S before running off and conquering the super car world?

Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 08:18 PM   #18
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I agree. It's like driving a iPad; completely soulless. I have a 160bhp Abarth with an automated manual box. 3 times longer to 60 but so much more fun
I rented a Lotus Elise for a few days a number of years ago. That car has 190hp but it only weighs 1800 pounds so it is quick and it has no power steering to dull the feedback through the steering wheel so it handles like a go kart.

That car was, by far, the most visceral car I’ve ever driven. It makes you feel like a super hero, you can push it hard and it just rewards you with seemingly endless amounts of grip and confidence. It is completely impractical to live with on a daily basis but oh man is it good. It is tiny, it is difficult to get in and out of, it is noisy, the suspension is stiff, the seats aren’t very comfortable and it is almost impossible to see what is behind you in the rear view mirrors but all those compromises disappear when you slide the shift lever into first gear and release the clutch. It is a true drivers car. It’s about as close to the experience of riding a motorcycle as there is.

Look at me, still going on about a car i last drove 12 years ago. Yeah, it’s that good.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 10:07 PM   #19
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I rented a Lotus Elise for a few days a number of years ago. That car has 190hp but it only weighs 1800 pounds so it is quick and it has no power steering to dull the feedback through the steering wheel so it handles like a go kart.

That car was, by far, the most visceral car I’ve ever driven. It makes you feel like a super hero, you can push it hard and it just rewards you with seemingly endless amounts of grip and confidence. It is completely impractical to live with on a daily basis but oh man is it good. It is tiny, it is difficult to get in and out of, it is noisy, the suspension is stiff, the seats aren’t very comfortable and it is almost impossible to see what is behind you in the rear view mirrors but all those compromises disappear when you slide the shift lever into first gear and release the clutch. It is a true drivers car. It’s about as close to the experience of riding a motorcycle as there is.

Look at me, still going on about a car i last drove 12 years ago. Yeah, it’s that good.
an elise is a fantastic track car.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 18 November 2017, 10:11 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

I'm with you too Nick, and I own an PHEV BMW. It's got no soul
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 02:53 AM   #21
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Speaking of which...

Has anyone here driven a top fuel dragster? 0-60 in .6 seconds and 4 or 5 g's off the line propelled by 8-10K horsepower. I suppose anything else combustion, electric, or not-powered by a large rocket would seem gutless and slow after experiencing that.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 08:19 AM   #22
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
For that money I’d just get a 488. Plenty fast and with a soul.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:08 AM   #23
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
For that money I’d just get a 488. Plenty fast and with a soul.
Exactly.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:27 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Speaking of which...

Has anyone here driven a top fuel dragster? 0-60 in .6 seconds and 4 or 5 g's off the line propelled by 8-10K horsepower. I suppose anything else combustion, electric, or not-powered by a large rocket would seem gutless and slow after experiencing that.
Can’t say I have lol I’d prolly black out
Old 20 November 2017, 02:57 AM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
If I had tons of loot and a lot t of garage space, I’d be into this. But as a novelty. Not as my driver.

I respect this thing a ton, and of course the designers that created it. But it doesn’t get into my imagination like the sound of a throaty exhaust does

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 03:05 AM   #26
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I love a good ol fashioned engine like any other people, but a 8 sec car out the box is worthwhile taking a note of. Would put my old 800hp GTR to shame...

That said, there are a heck of a lot of other cars I'd spend a quarter on.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 01:53 PM   #27
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Speaking of which...

I couldn’t imagine. I’ve driven a F3000 car from the 90’s and I didn’t have the nuts to drive it fast enough to keep enough heat in the brakes and tires for about 30 minutes until the instructors kept telling me the harder you push the better off you are. Crazy thinking that car was around 15 years old at the time too. I consider myself a good driver not great but I’ve spent a lot of track time in a lot of fast cars but open wheel is something totally different. My corvette had around 750 hp at the wheels with the boost turned up and that open wheel 2.0 liter with around 300 HP is the craziest thing I’ve ever been in. That includes some drag cars and a 1400 HP Supra. Linear acceleration is one thing but pulling 2.5-3g’s laterally is the scariest thing ever especially the first time. I couldn’t imagine the almost 6g’s the F1 cars can do. I have all the respect in the world for a car that goes fast in a straight line but when you can make a 60 degree turn and never lift off the throttle is a completely different experience.

gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 02:52 PM   #28
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Not many everyday drivers have been in a car or an motorcycle that can do 0 - 100kph in even 2.5 seconds.

It is a very uncomfortable experience for most.

1.9 seconds would be best before lunch.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:31 PM   #29
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
I love a good ol fashioned engine like any other people, but a 8 sec car out the box is worthwhile taking a note of. Would put my old 800hp GTR to shame...

That said, there are a heck of a lot of other cars I'd spend a quarter on.
My Dad had 3 GTOs (Pontiacs, not Ferraris) that were were all 0-60 under 7 seconds. He paid less than $4k for each. Of course, you didn't want to turn, try to stop, or put gas in those things.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 01:08 AM   #30
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
If I had tons of loot and a lot t of garage space, I’d be into this. But as a novelty. Not as my driver.

I respect this thing a ton, and of course the designers that created it. But it doesn’t get into my imagination like the sound of a throaty exhaust does
I think that is the best synopses of this car yet.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote