The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 December 2010, 09:23 PM   #1
hunz

Watch: Rolex, SINN
How long before your Rolex perpetual stops?

My vintage datejust 'falls asleep' after about 2 days without wearing. Does this sound about right?

Also when one puts their watch on do they have to 1. wind the crown, or 2. just shake the watch? or 2. both?

If 1. how many turns are required to do the job?

Thanks in advance
hunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2010, 10:35 PM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
That sounds right--not bad for a vintage at all. As for what I do--I put it on the wrist and wear it for a few minutes and let it get going on it's own--then set the time. I do not shake it-as I don't want to shake 30-50 year old watches--rather let them get going on their own!! Just my take.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
MonBK
Banned

You need to manually wind the watch for about 40 turns before putting in on.
By simply strapping it on and get it going you won't have enough power reserve and it won't run long after putting it down.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2010, 10:53 PM   #4
hunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
That sounds right--not bad for a vintage at all. As for what I do--I put it on the wrist and wear it for a few minutes and let it get going on it's own--then set the time. I do not shake it-as I don't want to shake 30-50 year old watches--rather let them get going on their own!! Just my take.
You don't wind the crown? -- i was told to wind 10-20 times to give it some momentum

This particular datejust 1603 is from my dad who bought it in new in the late 60's early 70's, and passed down to me so has a lot of sentimental value. all papers, original box etc. never been serviced & all original crystal, dial etc. and yeah i guess still ticks on alright, so not too bad for a 30+ year old watch!

sometimes I swiftly shake the watch left to right and then place on wrist, but what you say make me think i shouldn't shake it :-/
Old 6 December 2010, 10:54 PM   #5
hunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
You need to manually wind the watch for about 40 turns before putting in on.
By simply strapping it on and get it going you won't have enough power reserve and it won't run long after putting it down.
yep ok
Old 6 December 2010, 10:56 PM   #6
HL65

No I don't wind them and they get going just fine. Mine range from 1961-1974--my Daytona -82 being manual wind. To each his own though. This method works just fine for me--unless you are in critical need of setting the time and getting out the door. I simply wear mine for 5 minutes or so--then set time and it works perfectly fine--I never manually wind them nor shake them.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 6 December 2010, 11:07 PM   #7
MonBK
Banned

That would be similar to constantly driving a car with 1/8 of a tank full.
Not good for the car and not good for the watch.
Old 6 December 2010, 11:26 PM   #8
HL65

Quote:
That would be similar to constantly driving a car with 1/8 of a tank full.
Not good for the car and not good for the watch.
Thanks for the advice--it works just fine for me and my family of vintages!! Also--it was what many of my seasoned vintage friends have been doing as well for years. It was the very advice Mark Lerman gave me-who is the best vintage dealer I know--check out his articles. I will stick with his advice as I have more respect and trust for him than most. Whatever works for you --you stick with. By the way--clearly they are wound enough by wearing as they keep going for several days after I take them off and switch to another.
PS-Here is a great article on Red Subs written by Mark-(see below 69' Tropical I got from him-out of his private collection): Enjoy-it is a good read:
http://www.timekeeperforum.com/showt...e-1680-Red-Sub

Attachment 177075
Tropical Sub 001.jpg

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 6 December 2010, 11:48 PM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Thanks for the link. I have read it before and it's a great article.
My compliments on your watches (only wrist wounded) running for several days after putting down.
Have you installed turbo boosted mainsprings?
Old 6 December 2010, 11:56 PM   #10
HL65

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I have read it before and it's a great article.
My compliments on your watches (only wrist wounded) running for several days after putting down.
Have you installed turbo boosted mainsprings?
No---I just take good care of them and enjoy them. I have been doing the same thing on all of my watches for years and it works just fine for me. The good thing about watches and collections are - they are subjective to the individual that owns them. I also wear them for a few days at a time and my guess is that is why they keep on going. Again--if it is good enough for Mark-it is good enough for me-I trust him and his advice over most. What do you have in your vintage collection?? I don't recall seeing a post on one?? It sounds like you have quite a lot of vintage experience so I imagine your collection is quite nice. Would love to see some shots!! Thanks for your advice and input and have a great day as well.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 7 December 2010, 12:18 AM   #11
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
No---I just take good care of them and enjoy them. I have been doing the same thing on all of my watches for years and it works just fine for me. The good thing about watches and collections are - they are subjective to the individual that owns them. I also wear them for a few days at a time and my guess is that is why they keep on going. Again--if it is good enough for Mark-it is good enough for me-I trust him and his advice over most. What do you have in your vintage collection?? I don't recall seeing a post on one?? It sounds like you have quite a lot of vintage experience so I imagine your collection is quite nice. Would love to see some shots!! Thanks for your advice and input and have a great day as well.
Mark is a good man and I don't blame you for trusting him, I would too.
Nothing special in my collection.
Old 7 December 2010, 12:38 AM   #12
hunz

Not doubting Mark's advice either, but why then does Rolex make their watches with the winding option (at the first pull out of the crown, in clockwise rotation. anti-clockwise presumably doesn't do anything as its a different or produces a 'non winding' sound.)
Old 7 December 2010, 12:44 AM   #13
HL65

I can wind all of my new ones too as they all have winding options. Everyone has their own habits--whatever works for you go with. Personally--I wouldn't shake it though-that is just my take. Some people want to set their time in a hurry--I don't mind wearing it for 5 minutes before I set time--it has always worked for me just fine. When I wear them for a few days at a time-which I do in most cases--they keep running without a problem. Again--whatever works for you--go with and I will stick with what works for me.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 7 December 2010, 12:57 AM   #14
Damage Inc.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mechanical!!
I do a combo of the previously advised options.
Put on a stopped watch and wear it for a bit (often about 45min in my case...the time it takes me to drive to work).
Stop the movement (all of my present watches have a hack)
Wind it 10 or so turns
Set the time
Start things going again (& screw down the crown!)
Go about my day

I do however agree about the 'shaking' technique...seems like a bad idea to me.

Rotating the crown towards the 6 o'clock position doesn't do anything (when in the 'winding' position)- simply disengages from the winding gears and slips the clutch gear.

Lastly- Steeler...that's a beauty of a Red meters first!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/watches/club/gmtoc.jpg
Z-serial GMT IIc
2.92M serial 1675 Pepsi
V-serial 16610LV
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2010, 01:14 PM   #15
hunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc. View Post
I do a combo of the previously advised options.
Put on a stopped watch and wear it for a bit (often about 45min in my case...the time it takes me to drive to work).
Stop the movement (all of my present watches have a hack)
Wind it 10 or so turns
Lost me about here. For me to stop the movement (mine has hack as well) I have to pull out the crown to the second position. but to wind it (the crown) has to be on the first position where the seconds hand moves freely. Only in the 2nd position does it stop the second hand, and when rotating the crown clockwise or counter-clockwise it moves the minute and hour hands. Unless you watch has a different setup?
Old 7 December 2010, 01:24 PM   #16
HL65

Hunz--wind it however you want--To each his own. Just don't be shaking it too hard!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 7 December 2010, 01:47 PM   #17
hunz

thanks Steeler fan, yes got the No shaking advice.

just got a bit confused about what Damage described in his 3rd and 4th sentences in his post.
Old 7 December 2010, 01:51 PM   #18
HL65

No worries--enjoy it!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 7 December 2010, 02:53 PM   #19
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PS-Here is a great article on Red Subs written by Mark-(see below 69' Tropical I got from him-out of his private collection): Enjoy-it is a good read:
http://www.timekeeperforum.com/showt...e-1680-Red-Sub

Attachment 177075
Attachment 177077
That's one sweet red! Cool that you got it from Mark.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2010, 11:01 PM   #20
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
That's one sweet red! Cool that you got it from Mark.
Thanks!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 8 December 2010, 12:31 AM   #21
Damage Inc.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mechanical!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunz View Post
Lost me about here. For me to stop the movement (mine has hack as well) I have to pull out the crown to the second position. but to wind it (the crown) has to be on the first position where the seconds hand moves freely. Only in the 2nd position does it stop the second hand, and when rotating the crown clockwise or counter-clockwise it moves the minute and hour hands. Unless you watch has a different setup?

Sorry about that...got the sequence a little out of whack.
Should have been:
Wear it for a bit
Wind it a bit
Stop the movement
Set the time
Start things going again (& screw down the crown!)
Carry on

But, as the Highlander said, do what ever seems best to you- this is how I do it.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/watches/club/gmtoc.jpg
Z-serial GMT IIc
2.92M serial 1675 Pepsi
V-serial 16610LV
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2010, 02:04 AM   #22
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hello friends Coonor and Hunds!
I appologize for entering in the conversation between you, but I couldnīt help not to liesten what you were talking about, and then my desire to throw my grain of sand.

It seems that everybody has his own method to put a watch to run, and everybody has his own right to do so in the way they wish or was taught to do.
The only thing I wouldnīt ever advice, is to shake an automatic watch to begin running.
This is a bad habit in my modest point of view, which could put undesirable stress in the works of a good watch.

Now, I own a little collection of Rolex watches, both brand new and vintage, and have observed every one has its own "personality" to start.
In brand new models, almost without exception, it requires to wind at least 30 to 40 turns to the crown, to wind it and start the seconds hand working. Then I set the correct time (and date if required), and ready to go.

Then I got some vintage ones, like a 5508 Sub no guards, and a TT GMT that as soon as I get them from the watch box I keep them, the slight movement of taking it from the box, and handling (without shaking) make the second hand begin moving.
This is something which makes me wonder sometimes, but it is the way it works for these two watches.
Then I wind it about 30 to 40 times manually, and set the correct time, and strap to my wrist.
It is true, that if the watch starts as soon as I handle it, it will only require to strap it and it will keep running IF, I move myself a little, because if I do not move my hands, and I do not wind it a little, it will stop in about half a minute.

So, I personally recommend:
1) Never shake a watch to start.
2) wind it at least 30 times if you are going to use it.
3) Donīt expect to keep running for long if it starts with only a gentle movement of your hand, if you do not move yourself a little, and if you do not wind it manually at least 30 to 40 turns.

Well thatīs only a personal point of view and experience, of course!!
Just wished to share!
Enjoy your watches friends! Kind regards, Abel.

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2010, 02:04 AM   #23
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hello friends Coonor and Hunds!
I appologize for entering in the conversation between you, but I couldnīt help not to liesten what you were talking about, and then my desire to throw my grain of sand.

It seems that everybody has his own method to put a watch to run, and everybody has his own right to do so in the way they wish or was taught to do.
The only thing I wouldnīt ever advice, is to shake an automatic watch to begin running.
This is a bad habit in my modest point of view, which could put undesirable stress in the works of a good watch.

Now, I own a little collection of Rolex watches, both brand new and vintage, and have observed every one has its own "personality" to start.
In brand new models, almost without exception, it requires to wind at least 30 to 40 turns to the crown, to wind it and start the seconds hand working. Then I set the correct time (and date if required), and ready to go.

Then I got some vintage ones, like a 5508 Sub no guards, and a TT GMT that as soon as I get them from the watch box I keep them, the slight movement of taking it from the box, and handling (without shaking) make the second hand begin moving.
This is something which makes me wonder sometimes, but it is the way it works for these two watches.
Then I wind it about 30 to 40 times manually, and set the correct time, and strap to my wrist.
It is true, that if the watch starts as soon as I handle it, it will only require to strap it and it will keep running IF, I move myself a little, because if I do not move my hands, and I do not wind it a little, it will stop in about half a minute.

So, I personally recommend:
1) Never shake a watch to start.
2) wind it at least 30 times if you are going to use it.
3) Donīt expect to keep running for long if it starts with only a gentle movement of your hand, if you do not move yourself a little, and if you do not wind it manually at least 30 to 40 turns.

Well thatīs only a personal point of view and experience, of course!!
Just wished to share!
Enjoy your watches friends! Kind regards, Abel.

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2010, 02:18 AM   #24
HL65

Well we all have different approaches--one thing we can all agree on is don't shake it. All of my watches are up and running after 5 minutes or so--newer or vintage and I never wind them. The only one I do wind is my 1982 6263 Big Red--for some reason it never works like the others--LOL--of course it is a manual!! to all TRF friends!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 December 2010, 12:30 AM   #25
hunz

Thanks Abel + Steeler
Old 9 December 2010, 04:58 AM   #26
gmtking
"TRF" Member

3175 movement, gmt I, I need to wind it for a while to make it start back
gmtking is offline   Reply With Quote