The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 January 2010, 11:06 AM   #61
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18k RedThunderBird
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Well said. I have seen a few watchmakers that provide price just for the cleaning and say parts extra. That can also help understand the cost. A good point on the aftermarket parts on the inside of the watch. I read so much about aftermarket or fake parts seen from the outside of the watch, but hardly anyone talking about the aftermarket parts in the movement. I would think that would affect the value of a vintage watch??

It is true, not enough is mentioned about aftermarket parts on inside.....It may or may not effect value.... one may not know it has such parts until cleaning and if it is a flip and dip cleaning service for cheap. How could anyone tell...when the watch do not come apart...

Great Points being made...

Michael The watchmaker
Horologier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 11:33 AM   #62
Horologier
"TRF" Member

I just wanted to see if my signature is coming i am new to all this and has been very informative about what watch wearer really know....

Michael The watchmaker
Old 15 January 2010, 02:35 AM   #63
YewchD

Watch: Subs 5513 & 16613
After reading through all these posts, the posts to my QualityTyme for Vintage service thread and a little google research of my own (very interesting results to my searches on watchmakers names), I have shipped my vintage sub to Bob Ridley for what I hope is just routine service which will be expensive and I am shipping an antique Omega to Mark Sirianni (watchdoctor.biz) for restoration which is very inexpensive. I will be interested to see the results and see if Mark earns my future Rolex servicing business as I too don't believe we should have to pay a ton of money to keep our Rolexes running.

Last edited by YewchD; 15 January 2010 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
YewchD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 02:56 AM   #64
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
I Spoke with my AD... would any of you trust your AD to do the service rather than sending it to Rolex if they have that capability? It would save a lot of time without the watch.... plus a savings for the service itself.

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 03:05 AM   #65
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YewchD View Post
After reading through all these posts, the posts to my QualityTyme for Vintage service thread and a little google research of my own (very interesting results to my searches on watchmakers names), I have shipped my vintage sub to Bob Ridley for what I hope is just routine service which will be expensive and I am shipping an antique Omega to Mark Sirianni (watchdoctor.biz) for restoration which is very inexpensive. I will be interested to see the results and see if Mark earns my future Rolex servicing business as I too don't believe we should have to pay a ton of money to keep our Rolexes running.

Wow, Mark's prices are a lot lower. Are you using your Omega a test case? What are you going to look for as it seems a lot of the concerns are under the case back?
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 06:16 AM   #66
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
Quote:
I am sure you will be more than happy with Mark Sirriani's services as I was. Please let us all know your experience.

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 06:41 AM   #67
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapture1 View Post
I Spoke with my AD... would any of you trust your AD to do the service rather than sending it to Rolex if they have that capability? It would save a lot of time without the watch.... plus a savings for the service itself.
Anybody?

Old 15 January 2010, 08:04 AM   #68
YewchD

Quote:
I have had my Sub serviced by my local AD in the past and the service was very good but not as good as I have experienced with the RSC's. The AD has since changed watchmakers and I decided to use other service providers instead. Treat them as any other service provider and research the person who will be working on the watch and compare pricing.
Old 15 January 2010, 10:24 AM   #69
timmovitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horologier View Post
If any one needs there repair questions answered or need a second opionion. I will do my best to help.... email me any time. I do not get on here every day like recently but My goal is to make sure professionals are working on these watches a parts of my voulnteer work is with professional watchmakerstraining organizations like AWCI & FWCA I want nothing to do with taking any of my fellow watchmakers work from them just that we are being held accountable for the wrok we present.... no corner cutting

Thanks
Miccahel the watchmaker

I agree that if you have vintage you should care for it with best service. If you can afford a Rolex you should be able to pay the services
timmovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 01:13 PM   #70
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This would be a great option and support local watchmakers as well as the AD services Also known as Official Rolex Jeweler. Many are required to have training and get certified also to up hold certain industry standards. Although I have not always seen this, now Rolex is getting on top of the watchmakers that aren’t doing quality work. The AD or ORJs do not always charge as much as factory service center. But will do a very nice job at local level.

Michael The watchmaker
Old 15 January 2010, 01:21 PM   #71
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have had my Sub serviced by my local AD in the past and the service was very good but not as good as I have experienced with the RSC's. The AD has since changed watchmakers and I decided to use other service providers instead. Treat them as any other service provider and research the person who will be working on the watch and compare pricing.
One way to research is a call into AWCI about the watchmaker you are thinking about and/or search web site for certified watchmakers at www.AWCI.com
Some like myself are still waiting for certification to updated site. This can take up to six months for them to process exam once taking and if your watchmaker is not a member of AWCI or just didn’t sign up for web info, you may not find him or her. Either that’s way you can call...

Michael The watchmaker
Old 15 January 2010, 01:27 PM   #72
pz93c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
RSC's in the US do not work on vintage watches.

'em. I'll have my services done elsewhere.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 01:29 PM   #73
Horologier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmovitz View Post
I agree that if you have vintage you should care for it with best service. If you can afford a Rolex you should be able to pay the services
Very well put. I have to be careful about how I say things because of accountability as education chairmen for Florida state watchmaker’s assoc. Meaning I am a very nice guy and just don’t want to offend anyone I just want educate, it is really not the uneducated fault. It is so true if you have to ask about price you can’t afford it. Me I cannot afford it. So I joined and learned how to service. and spent more on my education then some spend on collage career.

Michael The watchmaker
Old 15 January 2010, 02:00 PM   #74
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

How can watchdoctor make any profit charging 150 dollars to service and that includes return express shipping? I assume that include insurance as well. Maybe 100 dollars to clean, oil and replace rear gasket, mainspring and Case tube. My understanding is that acrylic crystals should be replace at service which appear to be optional here. I saw that he charges 30 dollars for crystal and installation. He only uses Rolex parts. If it takes 5-8 hours, that is around 100 -130 dollars a day if 100% of his time in on service. Rent, taxes, SS, insurance and utilities. Wow. Maybe his watch service is low volume and he main business is sales??
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 10:33 PM   #75
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
How can watchdoctor make any profit charging 150 dollars to service and that includes return express shipping? I assume that include insurance as well. Maybe 100 dollars to clean, oil and replace rear gasket, mainspring and Case tube. My understanding is that acrylic crystals should be replace at service which appear to be optional here. I saw that he charges 30 dollars for crystal and installation. He only uses Rolex parts. If it takes 5-8 hours, that is around 100 -130 dollars a day if 100% of his time in on service. Rent, taxes, SS, insurance and utilities. Wow. Maybe his watch service is low volume and he main business is sales??
Go to www.watchdoctor.biz and he explains why his prices are what they are.

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 12:30 AM   #76
pz93c
"TRF" Member

Nice. I'll give him a shot on my next vintage. Hopefully soon.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 12:54 AM   #77
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horologier View Post
This would be a great option and support local watchmakers as well as the AD services Also known as Official Rolex Jeweler. Many are required to have training and get certified also to up hold certain industry standards. Although I have not always seen this, now Rolex is getting on top of the watchmakers that aren’t doing quality work. The AD or ORJs do not always charge as much as factory service center. But will do a very nice job at local level.
Thanks for your input

Old 16 January 2010, 12:58 AM   #78
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Things can add up quickly, as we can see with my mom's TT Lady OP which we got her in 2000 and is now in for its first service I'd call this an average service, the crystal is not broken but chipped along the edges - my family WEAR their watches!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom's RSC Estimate.jpg (73.1 KB, 378 views)
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 03:10 AM   #79
YewchD

OK, comments like "If you can afford a Rolex you should be able to pay the services" and "It is so true if you have to ask about price you can’t afford it." reminds me of the saying "A fool and his money are soon parted"! It is that mindset that allows us to be gouged. I have two Rolex watches and can certainly afford to pay to service them but that doesn't mean I am a fool and will pay anything because it is a Rolex and I should be able to afford what anybody wants to charge me! I don't wear Rolex out of vanity...
Old 16 January 2010, 11:40 AM   #80
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The original post concerned service costs not restoration prices, which are two separate topics. A restoration will usually cost substantially more than a service.

A typical service on a GMT, Sub, Datejust etc should be in the $250 $350 range - some watchmakers even charge less based on their location and overhead. Rolex charges twice that price and you are paying the extra, not because it does a better job, but because the RSC can - and have a name and reputation that everyone knows - Rolex. They do not do anything more special than any competent watchmaker does when servicing a watch. This can be applied to any service you are looking at. The more prestigious you are, the more you can charge.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 10:04 AM   #81
ciclisto

would you service a non used 5 year old watch
ciclisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 07:08 PM   #82
Fran7
"TRF" Member

Hello Rolex lovers,

I had a standard service done this month by Rolex in Germany to my Oyster and my wife middle size Oyster at the cost of 650Eur each+ 100Eur for my wife that has the glass broken. The German Rolex centre is in Cologne. I have found this quite expensive considering that I have paid £250 5 years ago in London.

I found amazing that is not possible online to find service prices from Rolex, they keep this information secret, well done to Rolex! I also would be curious to know what is the margin for the Rolex retailer on this work. My local shop said about nothing....but I hardly believe them! Of course they are not making 100% margin like they do on selling jewellery but at the end of the day they just ship the watch to Rolex!

Does anyone of you have any idea on this?

Fran
Fran7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 02:02 AM   #83
PACEVIPER
"TRF" Member

Rikki Dietel in Seminole Florida did my 16610. Plus you can actually talk to him and tell him what you want too leave as is. Work was suberb and timely (2wks) Do a search on the forum for references......Jimmy
PACEVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 09:18 PM   #84
steptoe
"TRF" Member

What's the average timespan on a thread ?.
Old 31 August 2016, 09:41 PM   #85
thenewguyguys
"TRF" Member

$260 to replace all gaskets on a 5513?, the AD says its gonna take 2-3weeks seems like a long time?
thenewguyguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 11:22 PM   #86
Too Old
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
What's the average timespan on a thread ?.
Nearly seven years if this one's anything to go by!!
Too Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2016, 01:49 AM   #87
2JHead
"TRF" Member

Norway: standard RSC service of typical 5 digit model w/o polish $660
2JHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 05:46 PM   #88
Red Boy
"TRF" Member

My 16600 SD 2007 stoped working after 15years of constant wear not abused just daily wear
Through our local AD it went back to Rolex
With a hefty invoice of £900 on return
Red Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 11:28 PM   #89
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
About $850 w/o polishing for an overhaul by CW21 watchmaker Phillip Ridley in Arizona. Just about the same cost at RSC in Dallas except RSC includes polishing if requested.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 07:52 PM   #90
Singhalager
Banned

At Singapore service centre near Orchard Rd 116610LN cost me $1200SGD for service
Singhalager is offline   Reply With Quote