The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Dwix1
"TRF" Member

AP and Rolex And the Grey Market

I’m looking for a watch for my 50th birthday. Something nice. There’s not a Rolex Professional Series watch at any ADs unless you want to spring for a gold one (I don’t and can’t). So I check out the AP website as an alternative and I start looking for a stainless steel Royal Oak. I call a boutique...And then something strange (to me) happened. I called for a stainless steel Royal Oak and was told they don’t have one and won’t sell one to me unless I’m interested in several watches and mainly gold watches. Basically, in order to buy one in stainless steel I have to “prove myself” to them because they’re having such a problem with the grey market...but who buys several gold watches at a time from AP? Wouldn’t that be the grey market vendors?!

And isn’t the lack of these watches growing the grey market that they claim to dread?
Dwix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 04:28 PM   #2
subboi
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the world of hot watches ...
subboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist

Buying gold AP watches at MSRP will definitely disqualify you as a grey.
On the pre-owned market these pm’s are valued a lot less.
Batmannr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 05:30 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

you want a watch that everyone else also wants... how do customers get separated?

The brand has leverage and how much you spend is how to separate who gets it and who doesn't.

Go to home depot and buy 100k worth of lawnmowers and you will probably get the next hot model before anyone else next year.... and rightly so

im confused though, a SS AP is pretty close in price to a PM Rolex if you can get a discount. So if you can buy AP you can buy PM Rolex. PM Rolex isn't as flippable though
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 06:39 PM   #5
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
PM APs aren’t going to be easy to move. Unless you’re willing to take a hit.

I say go gray.
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 06:42 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppalasthira View Post
PM APs aren’t going to be easy to move. Unless you’re willing to take a hit.

I say go gray.
for a one watch purchase its the most sensible and cost effective option for sure.

Pay a premium vs paying more to build up a collection you may not want. If you want to build up that collection anyway, stay at the AD
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 25 March 2019, 07:15 PM   #7
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwix1 View Post
they’re having such a problem with the grey market...
So much of a problem, they sell their inventory to gray dealers ........

Many AD’s couldn’t survive without gray dealers !
Old 25 March 2019, 07:17 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
So much of a problem, they sell their inventory to gray dealers ........

Many AD’s couldn’t survive without gray dealers !
someone is buying those full PM pieces. Whoever gets them gets the hot stuff too. Them or you, doesnt matter... at least the grey dealer only sells one watch at time

its a package deal and its just unbundled further down the supply chain. Kind of like when i bought toothbrush heads on amazon recently. I ordered 3 and someone sent me part of the contents of a multipack of 10, didn't send the sealed blister packaging of 3 like i ordered but i got 3 individual wrapped heads like you get after you open a larger package. Buy in bulk and sell them on in smaller quantities.
Old 25 March 2019, 07:23 PM   #9
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
I know it sounds strange but here is what you are doing.

You: "Hello Ticket Office, I would like 4 tickets for this years Super Bowl."

Them: "Sorry those go to season ticket holders on the basis of proven previous interest."

You: "Oh so I can't get Super Bowl tickets, then I would like Wolrd Series tickets instead."

Them: "Sorry that will be difficult as well, your best bet is traveling back in time and getting season tickets for the past 10 seasons, or you could try a serious of ticketing trade or resale websites that may have the ticket you would like. Alternatively you could buy a complete package of flight, hotel, transfers from us."

You: "I live next to the stadium so I only really want the tickets."
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:24 PM   #10
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
We should all just stop buying watches for a year. Would bring sanity back.
Old 25 March 2019, 09:17 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Use the search function here on TRF and find our Trusted Sellers. Read the reviews and search the products they offer. Several have independant web sites so you can research what you are interested in. When you decide what you want, give them a call and discuss availablity and price. Most are willing to adjust the prices ever so slightly. Pay and have the watch you want by 1030 the next morning. Simple. Skip the AD's as you are not an established customer and will not get an average Rolex or AP much less something considered hot. Ask questions here and off you go.

Last edited by 1William; 25 March 2019 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 09:19 PM   #12
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
If this is just a one off purchase, just folk out the premium and buy from grey market. Time is money too.
Old 25 March 2019, 09:27 PM   #13
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Simpel. Just go to an omega/JC/breitling/ etc AD, they will be happy to sell you any model you want. Maybe its a good idee to put in a sticky that explains you cannot buy hot ROLEX/PATEK/AP models from AD's without history/etc
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 09:42 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
No the greys don't get the hot SS pieces only, they get the PMs too all bundled in. And they are applying the same principle to all new buyers, to make sure they don't benefit to the AD and their grey relationship's cost.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:11 PM   #15
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I also got into this SS sports line a tad too late.. said my AD.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:23 PM   #16
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
All markets continue to evolve
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:46 PM   #17
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Use the search function here on TRF and find our Trusted Sellers. Read the reviews and search the products they offer. Several have independant web sites so you can research what you are interested in. When you decide what you want, give them a call and discuss availablity and price. Most are willing to adjust the prices ever so slightly. Pay and have the watch you want by 1030 the next morning. Simple. Skip the AD's as you are not an established customer and will not get an average Rolex or AP much less something considered hot. Ask questions here and off you go.
Sorry but that advice is basically fueling the grey market. “Don’t like paying grey market dealers? Just pay a grey market dealer because it’s easier”

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:49 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
Sorry but that advice is basically fueling the grey market. “Don’t like paying grey market dealers? Just pay a grey market dealer because it’s easier”
its either do that or move on. You cannot get a hot watch without a huge wait if ever. The other option is to be a high spending client.

It's reality. dont have to do it. Dont have to have the watch either.

There are exceptions, but its basically the rule these days
Old 26 March 2019, 12:01 AM   #19
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

This whole need to be a VIP to buy a hot watch is bullshit! I'm sick of this shit. Lol.

I acquired my first Breitling last week. No hassles, readily available and the AD gave me a nice discount as well. The watch looks good and the finishing is easily the same quality as Rolex at half the price.

FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:02 AM   #20
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

this is why i never understood when people say they will leave rolex and instead take their business to AP or patek. it's even worse with those brands. your only option is to "downgrade" or pay the premiums and i feel if someone really wants a rolex getting something like an omega will just be settling and everyone knows when you're spending this much money you should never settle
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:16 AM   #21
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
This whole need to be a VIP to buy a hot watch is bullshit! I'm sick of this shit. Lol.

I acquired my first Breitling last week. No hassles, readily available and the AD gave me a nice discount as well. The watch looks good and the finishing is easily the same quality as Rolex at half the price.

You make a valid point. Things have gotten out of control with Rolex and SS professionals. Lots of unnecessary stress.

PS Enjoy that beauty, bought my first Breitling (Chronomat) in the late 80s. Excellent quality watches!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:18 AM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
this is why i never understood when people say they will leave rolex and instead take their business to AP or patek. it's even worse with those brands. your only option is to "downgrade" or pay the premiums and i feel if someone really wants a rolex getting something like an omega will just be settling and everyone knows when you're spending this much money you should never settle
the flip side is you wait so long that if you continued saving the entire time you can move to a different metal. Makes it less of an abstract price when you already have the SS funds ready to go and continue on saving for a year or two.

A lot of time the price is the turnoff not the metal. So it makes it an easier thing to do if you are not constantly chasing SS you cant buy anyway.