The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2019, 05:19 AM   #1
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Speedy Pro-A Year on the Wrist

Ok, I purchased my Classic Speedy Pro-Hesilite new via a trusted seller here and wanted to share my observations in the event they may be helpful for some. My rotation consisted of a 16610, 116520 (white dial) Hamilton Khaki Field, Breitling Navitimer (a23322) since sold.

I have always had my eye on the speedy pro, but had many chronos in the stable, but after watching Apollo 13 for the hundredth time or so, just could not resist. Its interesting, because about a year after buying my navi, while it is great and very intricate but I lost interest and sold it. Its hard to understand my loss of interest in this piece as I had the AOPA 75th anniversary model and really did like it at one point, but really ceased getting wrist time after my Speedy purchase. Perhaps it is something about the stoic and retrained speedy that won out. Nevertheless I think there are several reasons why this piece is now my number 1 most worn piece in the last year.

1) Vintage appearance. In an era of almost dizzying change i mean this in terms of real life and also the number of new watches that come and go, the speedy pro just sits, frozen in time while others come out with the ceramic, polished parts, new movements, bigger cases, etc... The hesilite as others have pointed out, is domed and creates a warm vintage look to the dial.W hen I look at this piece, it looks vintage, but somehow not dated as many watches from the era do. I know that what ever comes out in Basel in the next few days, and not matter what changes the classic speedy pro will not (not counting the LE's of course).

2) Classic Design/Versatility: The watch while plain to some, is absolutely memorizing to me as it is the most balanced dial I have ever seen. The dial while black, almost appears a charcoal gray in some light and matches anything, and I mean anything I wear. The placement of the subdials in relation to the overall dial is stellar and incredibly visible.

I purchased the gray/black nato and it came with the all black nato and bracelet. I am one of the few that the bracelet fits perfectly. I have held the old flat bracelets, and find this thing heavy and well made. Yes more fine adjustments would be useful though. I like the ever so subtle polished aspects of the links, which compared to my daytona are far, far more restrained. I know the watch and appreciate every detail, but it disappears when its not needed. Because of the color of the dial, braclet, and strap options it is extreamily versatile in nature. I have worn the watch on nato on weekends with the kids at the park, and on the braclet with a sport-jacket and can say it never looks out of place.

3) Functionality: I actually need a timepiece for my job in healthcare and use the chrono to time various things daily, and accuracy and legibility are absolutely essential. This is where it unequivocally blows away my daytona. The long while baton hands are easily visible with a slight flick of the wrist, as is the chrono. When I am with patients, the last thing I need is to take time trying to read the watch or fiddle with screw down pushers to engage the chrono. It does not sound like much, but in healthcare you want to be engaged with patients.

The functionality is what made me choose the classic speedy over the FIOS. It was a close horse race, but after looking at both the hands on the FIOS can disappear in certain light and legibility becomes a concern.

General Notes: The winding has not been an issue and I believe it brings man and machine closer. What has been helpful is to place my index finger facing up underneath the crown pulling toward me, while using the side of my thumb to push. This allows me to get a solid grip on the thing.

My wrist is small, but I am 6 feet even so the 42 mm works on me. I thought this may be a problem, but has not been. Perhaps as the watch is closer to 39mm with the extra coming from the crown guards. My only real issue, is that it has a reputation of not being particularly water resistant, but I guess I am glad for that, as there would be no need for my other pieces.

The lack of date. I thought this would be a real, big deal. I need the date for my job and do find it very useful on a watch and was a big reason I purchased my Navi (chrono and date on 1 watch). However, folks were right, when I made a mental point of looking at the calendar in the morning, I was able to remember it! Really was a shocker, as I thought no way this would happen and the speedy would be a weekend watch at best. Last year it went from just being a weekend watch to a daily driver a couple month back as I was able to get past this.

Anyway, I hope others enjoy their speedy as much as I am enjoying mine.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:21 AM   #2
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Excellent review. I love my speedys

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:30 AM   #3
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Truly an excellent review!
That Speedmaster is the best in the market IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 07:31 AM   #4
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Thanks for the write up. Speedy is on the short list for my next watch.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 08:02 AM   #5
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
Outstanding review! I can only echo my praise for my Speedmaster. I am super happy I got it and it is quite fun and versatile with strap, NATO, and bracelet options. I haven’t had any issue with the hesalite and I love the vintage look it gives.

Thanks again for your review, very well done!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 08:05 AM   #6
Daryl

We need some photos

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 10:43 AM   #7
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
To many more years to come! Great watch.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:21 PM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Love the watch and complication. Glad to see others enjoy theirs also.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 10:45 PM   #9
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Glad you are enjoying your speedy. I love mine as well for all the same reasons.
Old 23 March 2019, 02:50 PM   #10
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Excellent to read a review of one who has owned a watch for a while. I agree with all of your points. I especially appreciate the symmetry of the dial. And not one single element interferes with another. The hesalite and domed crystal is a big highlight as well.

Here's hoping that you continue to enjoy it for a long, long time!

Cheers
Carl
Old 24 March 2019, 04:24 AM   #11
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: Yes
Great to hear you're getting the most out of it.

Enjoy it for many more years to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post

General Notes: The winding has not been an issue and I believe it brings man and machine closer. What has been helpful is to place my index finger facing up underneath the crown pulling toward me, while using the side of my thumb to push. This allows me to get a solid grip on the thing.
Indeed. I have an itch for a Speedy, and without a doubt, it must be manual wind.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:47 AM   #12
KBM

Nice review. Would love to see some pics of that speedy in action!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 09:34 PM   #13
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610

Thought I would post a pic one year on. Only visible sign of wear being a scuff in the top right lug after my second day of wearing lol. The second nick on the top left lug, caused by my AD with an alteration to my bracelet (was not happy).

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote