The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 July 2019, 05:51 AM   #31
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I wear my BLRO most of the time but my Speedy gets at least a day or two of wear each week. I'm wearing it today because of course it's Tuesday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EF3E47A1-A579-46CB-8B29-1A3069B2F83D.jpeg (200.4 KB, 381 views)
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 06:22 AM   #32
kevlar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erne75 View Post
The Moonwatch, specifically the hesalite one, combines the right amount of coolness, horological significance and bargain pricing that it should be a staple in any watch aficionado's collection. Along with the Zenith's El Primeros, they are both great bargains currently available in the gray market. I paid $3399 for mine last year, brand new with box, papers, full set.
Besides, when was the last time you got a watch in honor of the biggest hoax perpetrated on humankind...
I did feel very conflicted buying the 'moon watch' i do feel it was a hoax, i just didnt buy the watch because it was 'that' watch i just love it regardless!
kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 03:16 PM   #33
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I have around a dozen watches, including a Speedy sapphire sandwich, a Submariner 114060, and an Explorer 214270 Mk2, so I don't really have a daily wearer. To me, my Speedy is the equal of my Rolexes in terms of quality, although the Rolexes have slightly better quality bracelets. To me, the Speedy is the least expensive "real watch" one can own and I think it stands up to any Rolex for daily wear except for the waterproof aspect. The Speedy is high quality, legible, and an icon, just like the Submariner and the GMT II.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 05:11 PM   #34
aproo
"TRF" Member

Interesting that majority here wear their Rolex more often. I am opposite and my Omegas tend to have more wrist time compared to my other collection. Like folks say, every collection needs at least 1 moonwatch.
aproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 11:03 AM   #35
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Rolex and Speedy really do play well together. Just a completely different feel and watch. I wear my Speedies 30-40% of the times.

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 01:55 PM   #36
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Have Rolex, Panerai, AP and this

♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:16 PM   #37
Echidnas Arf
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I have a 2018 submariner and an Ultraman speedy. Love em both��������
Echidnas Arf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:50 PM   #38
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I have 8 speedmasters and one submariner and one GMT master II.

But right now, it’s the sky dweller that gets wrist time.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 03:58 PM   #39
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
The Speedy is thicker and larger, so for someone with small wrists the difference is very noticeable.
+1. I loved the Speedy Pro Hesalite alongside my 16610 and 16570, but sold it due to size. My wrist size is 6.5" and the weight/size on bracelet bugged me at the end of the day.

That said, it's beautiful, iconic, and a compliments magnet. Good luck!
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:56 PM   #40
capital
"TRF" Member

I love the speedmaster for sure, but to me it's a level below a sub or gmt.
To be honnest, if I had to keep either my gmt LN or my moonwatch 50th anniversary, I'd keep the GMT without any doubt.
capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 05:57 PM   #41
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

The speedy is my favorite of any Watch I have ever owned. It's fit, usefulness, weight and how it's distributed have not been matched with any watch I have had. I don't daily but get in moods I wear watches anywhere from a day or two to a month or more. When I look down more times than not it is the speedy. The perfect watch sans the water resistance which I choose not to worry about in the pool anymore.
MP5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 05:59 PM   #42
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
i did feel very conflicted buying the 'moon watch' i do feel it was a hoax, i just didnt buy the watch because it was 'that' watch i just love it regardless!
omg
MP5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 06:46 AM   #43
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
My speedy gets probably double the wrist time my gmt does. Not sure why, I do enjoy the gmt but just love the speedy its such a beautiful watch.
I am also of the opinion the moon landing was a hoax. Please no one take offence just my opinion and got my speedy because its a stunning looking watch.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 02:06 PM   #44
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
My Speedies and my GMT compete most often for wrist time. I'm in the heavy construction business and utilize the chrono function a lot, so the nod goes to the Omega. The GMT-C has tremendous presence without being oversized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 watch rotation.jpg (276.4 KB, 821 views)
Old 5 September 2019, 06:54 AM   #45
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
What are your thoughts when comparing the Speedmaster vs. a Rolex Sub /GMT? Do you gravitate more towards one or the other? Do they hold equal status in your collection, or if you HAD to ditch one, which would it be?

If you do answer, please take away the historical context of the moonwatch; I'm more looking at your thoughts on the piece itself, not the history associated with the watch.

I currently have a 16710 and a Hulk, along with a DD40, and I'm looking at possibly adding the Speedmaster, either FOIS or the moonwatch (after all these years of hate!). I just want to make sure that I'm not buying something that will just sit in the case when compared to the Rolexes.
I bought my wife a silver snoopy speedmaster that she loves. When I compare it to my rolexes (subC & SS SkyD), I don’t think any less of the speedmaster. I guess maybe because it’s the snoopy so it’s got some great detailing and that beautiful white dial.

I’ve worn the watch when she lets me and it’s got great wrist presence and is comfortable. I wouldn’t hesitate to add one in your collection.

Something you might want to consider is one of the ceramic speedmasters. I tried on a grey side of the moon with the meteorite dial. It’s spectacular and unique with the meteorite dial, gold bezel, and full ceramic body and deployment. Here’s a photo but the image is a little blown out. It was darker at the store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7A56BD22-0643-4C0B-ACB8-10E97626E55A.jpeg (75.2 KB, 185 views)
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 05:59 AM   #46
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
If I needed to keep just two watches, my GMT and Speedy would be it. The perfect complement to one another.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 08:23 AM   #47
jnewell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
If I needed to keep just two watches, my GMT and Speedy would be it. The perfect complement to one another.
I agree with this. But if it were just one, it would probably be the GMT Master, even though I feel like I have to get an engineering degree to set it every time I let it stop.

Having said that, I think the Sub/GMT is a very different watch than Speedy. It’s frankly less accurate by a noticeable margin. But it’s also a lot tougher. I’ve twice had serious service needed for relatively short drops with the Rolexes, which I’ve come to regard as relatively fragile. I think you could use the real Moonwatch as a hockey puck.

I also think it’s really hard to separate the NASA history from the Speedmaster Moonwatch, at least for me. I grew up in the 60s and that’s a huge part of its appeal to me. Apart from that, it’s just another chrono, manual wind at that, and not an exceptional timekeeper. For me, the Moonwatch *is* it’s history.
Old 9 September 2019, 12:43 PM   #48
crashpad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
I bought my wife a silver snoopy speedmaster that she loves. When I compare it to my rolexes (subC & SS SkyD), I don’t think any less of the speedmaster. I guess maybe because it’s the snoopy so it’s got some great detailing and that beautiful white dial.

I’ve worn the watch when she lets me and it’s got great wrist presence and is comfortable. I wouldn’t hesitate to add one in your collection.

Something you might want to consider is one of the ceramic speedmasters. I tried on a grey side of the moon with the meteorite dial. It’s spectacular and unique with the meteorite dial, gold bezel, and full ceramic body and deployment. Here’s a photo but the image is a little blown out. It was darker at the store.

I was very close to getting that meteorite grey side. Ended up going with the Apollo 8 and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crashpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 02:19 PM   #49
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Have a speed pro, BLNR, and a subC. They wear very similar in terms of wide. Great watches to have
Old 13 September 2019, 04:57 AM   #50
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
Well let’s see... Keep in mind I love my Speedy (and have money down on a 50th Anniversary two tone Speedy) but...

1). Rolex fit and finish is impeccable. Now in fairness, Omega is also really good - I have a Planet Ocean as well and the fit and finish is excellent. But to my eye the Rolexes are a cut above the PO - and the PO is a cut above the Speedy

2). Rolexes are indestructible. Speedys are not. Play tennis or golf, go through airport security 10 times and then swim in the ocean all day. The GMT Master II and the Sub are still keeping perfect time. My Speedy wouldn’t be.

3). Rolex has much more badge value. You can decide if you like that or not but they do. It’s not even close.

4). Rolex (especially Steel) has dramatically better resale. The damn things are almost like putting money in the bank as long as you keep care of them. Not so with Speedys.

5). My Rolexes keep better time. Speedy isn’t bad but the Rolexes are ridiculous. Only my Grand Seiko Snowflake (Spring Drive) beats them on accuracy.

It sounds like I’m hating on the Speedy - I’m not. I wear mine and love it mostly because of the iconic nature of the dial, and the fact that it works in so many different situations.

But I do consider my Rolexes to be a cut above - just as I consider my AP Royal Oak 15400 to be a cut above the Rolexes. There’s a tiering to these things that (to me) is pretty obvious when you have them side by side.
+1

In same exact position, have a vintage Speedy and waiting for my 50th Apollo to come in.
Love my Speedy but it doesn't beat out my BLNR. So if one had to go it would be the Speedy. But make no mistake Speedies are great watches with great historical value. If you get a nice vintage one you will be very happy with it.
The new Speedies aren't bad either but I love the vintage versions better.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 05:03 AM   #51
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Couldn’t agree with you more, love wearing my 1991 3592 just as much as the others.

Old 13 September 2019, 04:07 PM   #52
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpad View Post
I was very close to getting that meteorite grey side. Ended up going with the Apollo 8 and love it.

Very nice watch!
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 05:51 PM   #53
capital P
"TRF" Member

Great question....if I had to choose one it'd be the sub but only because I prefer the brand. I just picked my speedy up this week and I alternate between that and my air king and a Montblanc as dailies. The Speedmaster is beautiful...I don't quite get on with the strap so I wear mine on the nato but will be looking for a rubber strap at some point. Here's mine....IMG_20190910_142128.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
capital P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 05:52 PM   #54
capital P
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice watch!
I was very close to getting this too. But decided to go with the 'standard' pro as it's my first omega

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
capital P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:27 PM   #55
NyCSnEaK
"TRF" Member

I have a 16710 and 60th Speedy. Love both equally, I’m just more careful with the Omega around water. Mine has the straight lugs, which is better for the smaller wrists. The bracelet on this specific model is terrific. The 60th is strap monster in comparison to the GMT. The GMT is just plain dope and a icon as well, especially in Pepsi. If your a watch aficionado and own a DD imo. You know you have the best Rolex available.

The Speedy Pro will wear similar to the Hulk, in how much wrist space it occupies.. Speedy is timeless just like my DD. It will suit your collection well, unless your in the Rolex > anything camp.
NyCSnEaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:20 PM   #56
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice watch!

Agreed, I've been eyeing this one.
Good choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote