The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2019, 12:17 AM   #31
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
This is correct, in that the bracelet is polished at the factory with the screws in place. A replacement pin/screw will not sit flush with the bracelet on the threaded side. I noticed this when resizing a bracelet and not keeping track of the screw locations.

If it were me, I would demand a new bracelet. Any Rolex AD should be capable of resizing a bracelet without damage. It’s simply unacceptable- like picking up your new car and the sales manager giving it a scratch or two with his key for not falling for the extended warranty and undercoating...or even worse the pin stripe!

I resize my own bracelets, and agree 100% this is the way to go, but any “civilian” should be able to walk away from an AD with an undamaged watch. I’ve read too many of these posts...
I re-size myself several times the bracelet in my bracelet and do not keep track of the exact screw for the exact link and never notice any problem. I think are all the same.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:54 AM   #32
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
This is correct, in that the bracelet is polished at the factory with the screws in place. A replacement pin/screw will not sit flush with the bracelet on the threaded side. I noticed this when resizing a bracelet and not keeping track of the screw locations.

If it were me, I would demand a new bracelet. Any Rolex AD should be capable of resizing a bracelet without damage. It’s simply unacceptable- like picking up your new car and the sales manager giving it a scratch or two with his key for not falling for the extended warranty and undercoating...or even worse the pin stripe!

I resize my own bracelets, and agree 100% this is the way to go, but any “civilian” should be able to walk away from an AD with an undamaged watch. I’ve read too many of these posts...
In the real world we are talking about a damaged screw which should be replaced by the person that damaged it, screw cost around £1 or less.Yes it should not happen but it often does but its not the end of the world, most link screw are the same size on most all bracelets.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 01:28 AM   #33
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
Most likely the " watchmaker " did not heat up the screw- they are loc-tite from factory
It's a rough go without the heat [ know from experience ]

screws are no problem to replace - dealer should be more than willing to replace screw [not bracelet ]
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 02:35 AM   #34
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
The last thing I would do is hand my watch back to the person who damaged it. Who knows what he will do next.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 02:49 AM   #35
pholtvja
"TRF" Member

OP follow up

I send the AD an email on sunday evening and the issue was resolved on Monday. The watchmaker (who did not do the mistake) told me to ask for him by name and he was very helpful.

Thank you for all the replies and feedback!

pholtvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 04:40 AM   #36
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Just read your thread, Philip, and happy to see you had the damaged screw replaced. Totally reasonable to expect that the AD stand behind their work.

Also, welcome to the forum! I’m afraid that your maiden voyage into this forum began in somewhat treacherous waters! There are certain subjects around here that are surprisingly “hot button” topics.

And by the way, your watch looks fantastic on you! Great photo!

Michael
Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 04:49 AM   #37
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
A screw is just a screw nothing more and if you can undue a screw just cannot understand why you did not DIY its very simple to do.
It’s his first post.
It’s his first Rolex.
It’s a completely legitimate concern and post.

How does your post help his situation? You’re just, in effect, putting the boot in.

Do you honestly think that anyone outside of this forum, or for that matter, the majority of Rolex buyers, have the tool and knowledge/inclination to do this, regardless of how simple you feel it is?
Amen.

If it’s “very simple to do,” the task shouldn’t be a problem for any Rolex employee to accomplish.

Michael
Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 05:33 AM   #38
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
A screw is just a screw nothing more and if you can undue a screw just cannot understand why you did not DIY its very simple to do.
What are the odds a complete newbie has a hollow-ground screwdriver in the proper size, and knows to heat up the Loctite? A garden variety "jeweler" screwdriver by Stanley in the hands of the inexperienced could do just as much damage. It's perfectly reasonable - indeed, sensible - to leave it to the professionals to work on big-ticket items if a person knows he doesn't have the skills himself. This screw-up is completely on the AD and its staff, not on the OP. Hopefully it's a simple fix.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 06:15 AM   #39
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeli Paulo View Post
Amen.

If it’s “very simple to do,” the task shouldn’t be a problem for any Rolex employee to accomplish.

Michael
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 06:27 AM   #40
Buzzlite
"TRF" Member

I had a similar problem and I demanded a new screw, new screw is not 100% flush now on other side, I found out that when the link is made the screw is milled to fit that link. Replacement screws wont sit flush against link.

But I dont really care it's only a screw
Buzzlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:46 AM   #41
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
So it is correct that a Rolex has Loctite on the threads from factory, even when they know people will almost certainly resize at the point of purchase?
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:55 AM   #42
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
So it is correct that a Rolex has Loctite on the threads from factory, even when they know people will almost certainly resize at the point of purchase?
Correct. The official Rolex procedure is outlined here:

https://www.minus4plus6.com/images/R...ng_Booklet.pdf

The above link is why I’m always left scratching my head when folks boast about never adding Loctite to their bracelet screws.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:56 AM   #43
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzlite View Post
I had a similar problem and I demanded a new screw, new screw is not 100% flush now on other side, I found out that when the link is made the screw is milled to fit that link. Replacement screws wont sit flush against link.

But I dont really care it's only a screw
As I stated above, this was also my experience with a 114060 bracelet, which does taper. Some bracelets may allow for swapping of screw locations, but mine certainly doesn’t.

Ducking for cover, but a screw isn’t just a screw in this case. They can’t be over-torqued, which is why the Loctite is needed. If an average Joe isn’t aware of this, even with a decent driver, most will over-torque the screw and chew up the head.
Old 19 November 2019, 09:16 AM   #44
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Correct. The official Rolex procedure is outlined here:

https://www.minus4plus6.com/images/R...ng_Booklet.pdf

The above link is why I’m always left scratching my head when folks boast about never adding Loctite to their bracelet screws.
I really appreciate that link. This puts to bed the LocTite argument, I would say. I, myself, thought that it was strange people were applying it to their watches, but now I see where I was wrong.
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:30 AM   #45
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
I really appreciate that link. This puts to bed the LocTite argument, I would say. I, myself, thought that it was strange people were applying it to their watches, but now I see where I was wrong.
No problem! All in all, if I’m spending $7,500 (or more) on a watch, I will follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to the letter. The proper Loctite is simply cheap insurance- no reason not to use it given the design of these screws.
Old 19 November 2019, 11:00 AM   #46
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I discussed this in another thread recently. I don't "boast" about not using Loctite, but I have opted not to use it, and have had no problems with screws loosening in the three years I've had my Sub. I simply check them periodically, and they're fine. They don't even appear to need tightening. Basically, the check confirms they haven't loosened at all. As I see it, Loctite provides extra assurance, but isn't strictly necessary. As such, I don't feel the need to go through the extra hassle of using it, and I share my experience in situations where I see others saying it is necessary. Take it for what it's worth.

That was a helpful link, by the way. Thanks.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:17 PM   #47
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Thats why I do it myself .. so easy why not.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:37 PM   #48
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I discussed this in another thread recently. I don't "boast" about not using Loctite, but I have opted not to use it, and have had no problems with screws loosening in the three years I've had my Sub. I simply check them periodically, and they're fine. They don't even appear to need tightening. Basically, the check confirms they haven't loosened at all. As I see it, Loctite provides extra assurance, but isn't strictly necessary. As such, I don't feel the need to go through the extra hassle of using it, and I share my experience in situations where I see others saying it is necessary. Take it for what it's worth.

That was a helpful link, by the way. Thanks.
No worries! I’m just glad the OP started the thread so we can all decide based on the information provided from Rolex along with real world experience like yours.