The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 November 2019, 06:45 AM   #91
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Without, I suspect, the class, the style or the talent.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 07:39 AM   #92
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleeboy View Post
Prices peak BEFORE recessions, people.

If you think you are buying at a discount thereafter, you are second to those who bought at the peak in intelligence.

I don't post much anymore, but when I do it's to say I lost interest in Rolex because of how they "managed" their distribution. No one needs to point fingers, but Rolex can be given a thumbs down about this.

Also, Rolex is even more widely worn now that I don't even consider it exclusive anymore.

Luckily I started almost 20 years ago and exited before the madness.

Buyers, keep holding out and maybe spend your money on something else.

Flippers, good luck.

Not sure what your issue is - you criticise Rolex and complain too many people own Rolex. Do you think Rolex should increase or decrease production?
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 07:41 AM   #93
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
Prices are definitely coming down on the main site that I monitor.
Agree with this!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 10:22 AM   #94
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
And he has the audacity to enjoin TRFers to buy watches other than Rolex, as we are likely to follow his orders. Moreover, to your point he claims Rolex is no longer exclusive yet, paradoxically, he derides Rolex for restricting supply, and the watches for being hard to get. Color me confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Not sure what your issue is - you criticise Rolex and complain too many people own Rolex. Do you think Rolex should increase or decrease production?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 10:24 AM   #95
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Another sign. IMO the bubble deflate slowly as greys try to recoup their investments in a saturated market. Things will be normal again a year from now (ie. you'll be able to buy any SS model directly from your AD. But don't expect a discount.)
caveat... the daytona will still not be available, same as it has been for the last 25 years..
Old 17 November 2019, 12:21 PM   #96
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Without, I suspect, the class, the style or the talent.
Lol. Yes quite possibly but I never had the fortune to know either of them

But he does seem to have done rather well for himself and so, good luck to him, and his baggy trousers
Old 17 November 2019, 12:41 PM   #97
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
Lol. Yes quite possibly but I never had the fortune to know either of them

But he does seem to have done rather well for himself and so, good luck to him, and his baggy trousers
One need not know/have known either personally to be able to appreciate their respective merits, either in terms of music or fashion. I'm still scratching my head over your comparison.
Old 17 November 2019, 02:35 PM   #98
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
If you were patient and waited two years for the stock market to recover and post very strong gains since you wouldn't have lost your shirt and in fact could afford lots of new ones. No one knows what the markets are going to do in the future.

But I agree when the non-predictable recession comes, that's a good time to buy valuable articles.

Patience is a true virtue.
Truth be told, I didn't sell my stocks, rode out the storm, and recovered; it would've been nice to have had some foresight to move out of them before the market crashed. Patience IS a virtue, but decisiveness and reason are no less beautiful.
On topic - the local b&m Rolex GD wasn't offering any discounts when I was just there. I think the upcoming Christmas season us to blame..
J.P.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 03:09 PM   #99
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

It's great news to see prices falling, long may it continue.

I hope the day comes when AD's start being nice to everyone again and not acting like they are superior beings, and that you should be soooooo grateful that YOU are the chosen one allowed to buy a mass produced, over hyped watch.

Dont blame the greys, the good ones were there before the hype and will be there afterwards.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 03:20 PM   #100
zewill
"TRF" Member

Good. Went to a montréal AD and they had loads of stock, pretty all DJ41 configurations. That was not the case a month ago. With enough patience maybe regular SUBs will be seen, and one day BLNR!
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 05:27 PM   #101
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I had the ND BNIB a few years ago and not more than six months later was lucky to get $5500 from a reseller. You guys gotta remember the MSRP on these things. They’re not precious.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 08:30 PM   #102
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
One need not know/have known either personally to be able to appreciate their respective merits, either in terms of music or fashion. I'm still scratching my head over your comparison.
lol.

Both teen idols of their respective generation

Both bad boys of their generation

Both popular singers of their time

Both fashion icons from their respective era

Both effected desire in the young female contingent

If you stop to consider it, there are a lot of similarities, even if you wouldn’t want to beliebe it

Sorry to digress
Old 17 November 2019, 11:09 PM   #103
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 November 2019, 11:34 PM   #104
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
lol.

If you stop to consider it, there are a lot of similarities, even if you wouldn’t want to beliebe it

Sorry to digress
I feel like Frank had adult fans unlike Bieber that was more of a one-hit wonder/trend in the music video era. Women loved Frank too not just the kids.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 01:45 AM   #105
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I feel like Frank had adult fans unlike Bieber that was more of a one-hit wonder/trend in the music video era. Women loved Frank too not just the kids.
For sure frank had loads of adult fans, but look at his early career when he started out, I guess around 29 or 30 years old. He was most certainly a teen idol of his time and appealed across generations

Bieber has loads of adult fans, not just kids. He has grown up in the media spot light, remember he was (I think) only 13 when he started out under scooter and usher and has been going for over 10 yrs now. He is a full grown adult, as are many of his fans. I know 6 and 60 years olds who both adore him

And, perhaps unfortunately, bieber is no one hit wonder. He is one of the highest grossing/best selling artists alive today. A sign o’ the times
Old 18 November 2019, 05:01 AM   #106
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
lol.

Sorry to digress
Based on these criteria, you could make the same comparison using any number of other well-known people in the current pop culture scene - although I really do question your use of the term "fashion icon" as it applies to Bieber. Let's see if Bieber's core catalog remains* lauded as a cornerstone of its genre six decades after its creation, or if he is regarded as a singular musical icon more than 20 years after his death, and resume the discussion then.

* I'm taking significant liberties in presupposing Bieber's music was ever lauded in the first place.
Old 18 November 2019, 12:48 PM   #107
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Based on these criteria, you could make the same comparison using any number of other well-known people in the current pop culture scene - although I really do question your use of the term "fashion icon" as it applies to Bieber. Let's see if Bieber's core catalog remains* lauded as a cornerstone of its genre six decades after its creation, or if he is regarded as a singular musical icon more than 20 years after his death, and resume the discussion then.

* I'm taking significant liberties in presupposing Bieber's music was ever lauded in the first place.
The standards {I know there's a pun there} have fallen to such depths, that I'm gravely worried for our civilization. We may not even last another sixty years as a humankind. And someone in another thread was frowning upon anther guy wearing his GMT on a hunt. Speck in the wind...
J.P.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 12:58 PM   #108
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lol

Sure thing Jackson, look forward to it!!
Old 18 November 2019, 01:15 PM   #109
the_natural
"TRF" Member

The equation is simple: unavailability = desirable = high prices.

A successful friend of mine admitted as much to me one day, saying he's a "competitive guy" and "wasn't really into watches, but because [he] can't have [insert Rolex model], now [he] wants them all." (I was simultaneously sickened, infuriated, and totally empathetic.)

Once models become more available, they're going to be less desirable in-turn, at least for a select group of users (the non-WIS who are driving up the prices). That's when the music stops for this current Rolex market, which it will for all but maybe the Daytona (which is the only one I'm personally interested in of course, but I digress).
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 01:50 PM   #110
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
That’s damn funny right there.
Old 19 November 2019, 09:14 AM   #111
mactruck
"TRF" Member

I had 3 grays tell me demand is slowing. I hope so.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:51 AM   #112
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
I had 3 grays tell me demand is slowing. I hope so.
I typically watch DavidSW's pricing. The top price on his black SubC Date hasn't dropped, but it also hasn't gone up in some time. It peaked six months ago and hasn't moved since, following a period of steady increases. That suggests sales are slowing, even if it hasn't resulted in falling prices yet. On the other hand, one of his unworn SS DJ41s just sold, which was listed at around $700 over retail. It will be interesting to see if another one comes up at a higher asking price.
Old 19 November 2019, 10:57 AM   #113
akordz
Banned

I think the sellers are more concerned about the selling price. Probably the price you gave was way above budget
akordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 01:19 PM   #114
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by akordz View Post
I think the sellers are more concerned about the selling price. Probably the price you gave was way above budget
Never even got to price.
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 01:25 PM   #115
SBR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Another sign. IMO the bubble deflate slowly as greys try to recoup their investments in a saturated market. Things will be normal again a year from now (ie. you'll be able to buy any SS model directly from your AD. But don't expect a discount.)
I hope that your prediction comes true. I would gladly buy a new SS Daytona at list price.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 03:01 PM   #116
Coolex
Banned

Makes sense. I don't even go into AD's anymore. It has just lost it's appeal
Coolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 03:29 PM   #117
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I have a simple motto:

Buy only what you like as low as you can without going over MSRP and don't sell--ever.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 03:30 PM   #118
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Preowned shops in Hong Kong sales are slowing down with their prices going down. Chalk it up to the protest there or a glut and non-moving inventory, bottom line is the buyers can capitalise on this.

I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 03:50 PM   #119
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkolopez View Post
Preowned shops in Hong Kong sales are slowing down with their prices going down. Chalk it up to the protest there or a glut and non-moving inventory, bottom line is the buyers can capitalise on this.

I noticed that HK have recently announced they’re in recession. The economy shrank a whopping 3.2% in the last quarter. It’s hard to imagine that this has solely been caused by protests.

I actually think we’re on the verge of something global here.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:52 PM   #120
~dadam02~
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Watchfinder mass Rolex sale today, buckle your seat belts the crash is coming....
~dadam02~ is offline   Reply With Quote