The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 November 2019, 02:34 PM   #541
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

How do you fund your Rolex

I used to work construction. The money was great but I was miserable. Prioritized happiness and turned my hobby of barbering into a profession. It’s a modest income. I also have a few real estate investments that are long term and more of a nest egg than an immediate source or cashflow.

My rule is to not purchase anything that immediately depreciates in value for more than $400. Aside for my car, which I paid outright and have no payments

But that prioritizes my play money toward watches instead of fancy cars, motorcycles, shoes, clothes or other more common toys or materials you see most men buy.

The wife has no problem with this because on Rolex you typically won’t lose.

If I want something quick. I’ll sacrifice eating takeout / going to restaurants for a bit. I’ll look at my average food / booze spending in a month and put it into a pot instead of into my stomach for a few months lol. Sometimes my restaurant / Uber eats expenses add up to close to $600-$700 a month. By buying groceries packing a lunch and laying off the beer I usually put around $400 a month away.

I always make sure to prioritize and consistently contribute to an emergency savings / retirement savings plan every month no exceptions. I learn how to tweak and experiment with different spending habits with the influx.

Little changes make a big difference

I also don’t have kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 03:10 PM   #542
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Nope. Watches are the primary goal for me. Everything else is just noise.
Post of the year for me Sir
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 04:25 PM   #543
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpeace View Post
Hello all, i am not sure if this topic has yet been discussed.

Let's be real, an average rolex (brand new or used) starts at $5,000, and some newer and more popular models cost $10k+. I am curious how an average person buy a rolex because with mortgage, car payment, family and kids, how do you manage to save up to buy a rolex and what do you do for living?

Thanks
The average person does not buy a Rolex.

How do you save? Don't have a mortgage and don't have a car loan. Only buy things you can afford with the money in your pocket. Limit luxury travel to a few times a year. It is not rocket science.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 04:33 PM   #544
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Whilst this perhaps should be the case, reality is a long way from this I’m afraid. With cheap debt and credit never before being as readily available as it is now, I think we’re seeing a huge rise in the number of ‘average’ earners treating themselves to a very expensive watch.

We are in very different times now where consumerism rules and people will not wait to save up for something.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 09:38 PM   #545
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Purchased from savings. I suggest not purchasing things that are non essential, and shouldn’t be viewed as investments (watches are not in my view), until later when the savings and investments make pleasure items easier to justify.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 06:16 AM   #546
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Thanks, Tim . . . . .
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 06:22 AM   #547
Saltzy
"TRF" Member

-Single
-Make > $125k/year
-Given 2 Retention Bonuses in the last 2 years, plus annual bonus and raises
-Zero debt, 800 credit rating
-Pay $1,200/rent in the NYC area (roommates in ideal adult living situation. Huge apt, everyone has own living space, etc)....monthly nut in general is around $2k all in
-No car, no mortgage, no wife, no kids, no commuting costs in general (walk to work)

=

114060 ND Sub as a 43rd birthday gift to myself.

Happy Birthday to me!
Saltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 07:07 AM   #548
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Worked for 35 years and retired. Got my lump sum and had a little cash put away. I have no mortgage, kids are grown, no wife (18 years) a couple payments to pay off car and I get a pension check monthly. Took me a long time to get my Rolex but I did it without putting myself in debt. Life is good...
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 07:11 AM   #549
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
My consulting job at Barone Sanitation pays my bills, my strip club provides me with my Rolex money
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 07:38 AM   #550
SydR
"TRF" Member

I fund my watch purchases from what surplus cash I have after paying household bills.

I have two grown up kids and a very manageable mortgage so thankfully left over money each month isn’t insignificant.
SydR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 07:50 AM   #551
Phoenixdawg
"TRF" Member

Cash.
Phoenixdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 07:58 AM   #552
jensonslee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Whilst this perhaps should be the case, reality is a long way from this I’m afraid. With cheap debt and credit never before being as readily available as it is now, I think we’re seeing a huge rise in the number of ‘average’ earners treating themselves to a very expensive watch.

We are in very different times now where consumerism rules and people will not wait to save up for something.
I noticed a vintage watch dealer started accepting Affirm which basically allows you to pay on credit! I would laugh so hard if this turned into another 2008 credit crisis.
jensonslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:02 AM   #553
huggie49
"TRF" Member

No car, house, or children to fund. All paid for. My spending is for great shoes, travel, and watches. Sometimes a fountain pen. All cash purchases. I don’t buy it if I can’t pay for it immediately. Looking for my seventh Rolex. Last one was the new Explorer. Splendid watch.
And, I do realize how lucky I am. It wasn’t always this way!
huggie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:09 AM   #554
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
I just assumed everyone pays for their Rolex with equity built on their previous Rolex investments?
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:33 AM   #555
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Side projects and supplementary income, which range from tutoring mathematics to flipping guitar amplifiers to arranging shipping logistics for my friends to avoid Rolex sales tax. All that adds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryFlashman View Post
I just assumed everyone pays for their Rolex with equity built on their previous Rolex investments?
Partially. I scored an amazing deal on a 16710 GMT, full-set, that no one here would believe. Sold it to a dealer for cheap, but that $$$ really helped.
Old 19 November 2019, 08:48 AM   #556
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:37 AM   #557
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Got my first Rolex when my uncle left me a $100K inheritance -- and even then I bought a used one because I couldn't bring myself to pay $8K for a watch. Then the bug bit me, and I got the second watch when my stock vested at my company -- got it new at an AD because I really wanted to see my name on the warranty card, lol.

Now I'm about to buy a more expensive Rolex for my wife from my AD, and I'm able to do it because fortunately the company I work for has done well and stock price is way up.

But 5 or 10 years ago -- no way would I even have considered a Rolex. I had to grit my teeth to just buy a $200 Citizen watch, my most expensive watch ever (at that point)!!!

There are seasons in life -- your Rolex season will come one day, don't rush it if it's not your time yet! And not even a Rolex is worth going over one's head in debt.

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:54 AM   #558
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Work hard I have NEVER financed a watch. Trade up with cash yes it is an expensive hobby.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:08 PM   #559
rod727
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
Worked hard.....raised kids....paid for college...weddings etc. all done so I decided it was time for me. I have friends who think nothing of dropping $$$ on boats or sports cars. Me I always lusted for a Rolex. Now I’m in my 50’s and glad I waited to purchase my 116610 Sub. It means a lot to me.
rod727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:09 PM   #560
makatiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2020 sky dweller
I work on Porsche for a living. I average 11 hour days. Work hard play hard
makatiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:19 PM   #561
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
food stamps
NachoNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:26 PM   #562
LSA916
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega
Like some of you, my job is boring and would literally end some conversations within moments of disclosure. But, it does pay well enough to afford some of the nicer things in life every now and then, so I won't complain.

I find that budgeting and making prudent financial decisions are just as important, if not more, than a stable and rising income alone. Having little to no debt, (lack of) children, and cheap rent or mortgage will certainly determine how much you get to play with at the end of each month. As long as I don't let too many vices lead me off the better path, I should be able to comfortably afford a new Rolex every two or three years. But actually getting the ones I want at an AD? That's a completely different issue!
LSA916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:37 PM   #563
kinjal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post

How do you save? Don't have a mortgage and don't have a car loan. Only buy things you can afford with the money in your pocket. Limit luxury travel to a few times a year. It is not rocket science.
Or you can have a car loan and mortgage, while investing your money in things that generate a higher rate of return than the interest rate you are paying. I finance cars and home, even though I could pay cash for the vehicles and real state I have. I pay for Rolex watches because they cost the less than vehicles and they don’t depreciate that much.

We all save in our own ways. I wouldn’t have more than one watch if I did not have independent wealth while also having the home and vehicles I want with financial stability.
kinjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 02:28 PM   #564
Theoffice
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chnr, hulk, sub d
Wow there’s a lot of hardworking average single people on here with no kids and no properties, not what I expected !
Good stuff !
Theoffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 02:40 AM   #565
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpeace View Post
Hello all, i am not sure if this topic has yet been discussed.

Let's be real, an average rolex (brand new or used) starts at $5,000, and some newer and more popular models cost $10k+. I am curious how an average person buy a rolex because with mortgage, car payment, family and kids, how do you manage to save up to buy a rolex and what do you do for living?

Thanks
Personally I wouldn't buy such things unless it was extra disposable income or play money. What you would take to Vegas for entertainment or gambling, etc. If that is not possible for you then start saving, work harder or work smarter. Put yourself in position to succeed and prosper.
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 04:11 AM   #566
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
I'm a gigolo. Part-time though, it's a demanding job.
Old 20 November 2019, 04:44 AM   #567
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Couldn't afford expensive watches when I was younger as mortgage, car loan, kids, putting food on the table, etc. etc., all came before any luxury purchases.

How semi retired, mortgage paid off kids out earning and not needing my funding, there is some cash available to fund my enthusiasm for watches, so all purchases come from savings.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 07:22 AM   #568
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Exotic dancing. Haven’t bought a new watch in awhile haha
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 07:24 AM   #569
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX