The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2019, 06:55 AM   #1
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Ode to the Classic Rolex Submariner

The Rolex Submariner.

It’s much more than “just a watch” to me, so if you’re in the “it’s just a watch” camp, with all due respect, you’ll probably be happier avoiding the rest of this thread.

Like many others, I grew up watching James Bond and Steve McQueen wearing a Submariner which contributed to making the watch so cool and iconic to me.

When I turned 18, I joined the Navy and upon reporting to boot camp, was delighted to find myself assigned to “Company 007.”

When the Company Commanders discovered that I was drawing portraits of my fellow recruits, (so they could send them home to their sweethearts,) I was assigned to illustrate the company flag.

After graduating from boot camp, I was sent to Submarine School where I began my four year tour in the Submarine Service.

Though I wasn’t anything close to being a Submarine Commander like the above gentleman, I did earn my “Dolphins” and experienced the unique and mysterious underwater life of a Submariner.

After my stint in the Submarine Service, I moved on to a career working for the government and have since retired. However, the longing for a Rolex Submariner has never passed. But I always figured that these watches were for the “wealthy” so I never seriously considered owning one myself.

Then, around a month ago, I stumbled upon The Rolex Forum. I began researching and soon realized that my lifelong dream could actually become a reality.

I showed a picture of the Submariner to my lovely wife and told her all about it. She surprised me by saying how much she loved the watch, how every “gentleman” should wear a nice watch and that she completely supported my desire...she even insisted that she help pay for it!

Soon “the other shoe dropped” and I learned of the current difficulties in obtaining a new Submariner. Remaining positive, my wife and I visited three of our local Authorized Dealers, briefly sharing my story and giving each of them a typed half sheet of information about me and the 114060 reference which I hoped to obtain.

The following week, I “made a day of it” and made similar visits to nine Authorized Dealers in my neighboring cities.

Though I figured I’d be in for a long wait, I was willing, after having waited nearly a lifetime already.

When initially researching the Submariner, I was set upon buying an 114060 from an AD, because I had convinced myself that for an investment like this, I should go with the “new one” from an Authorized Dealer with a full warranty.

But I was continually drawn back to the look and feel of the classic Submariners prior to the changes made with the advent of the 114060.

Then, less than a week ago, I began seriously looking into the possibility of attaining an 14060m as opposed to the 114060.

I realized that with a late model 14060M, I could get a Submariner which had many of the recent “upgrades” while retaining the classic look.

(Note: Before this thread devolves into a “2 liner vs. 4 liner” or a “14060M vs. 114060” discussion, let me say that this thread is in honor of the Rolex Submariner in all of it’s renditions over the years. They are all fantastic!!!)

A Trusted Seller here (speedy_master1 aka Nima) was offering a 14060M reference from 2011 with the complete package, in mint condition, only one owner, and a “safe queen.”

After putting Nima “through the wringer” with tons of questions over a 24 hour period, I bought my dream watch!

My Rolex Submariner (I enjoy saying that!) arrived in pristine condition! I immediately took it to my (new) watchmaker and he authenticated it and put it on his machine to check it’s functions. He said everything looked great and helped fit the bracelet on me.

I am so blessed; I have a classic Rolex Submariner in “like new” condition! I couldn’t be any happier with it!

Ironically, if it wasn’t for the “SS shortage” at the AD’s, I never would have researched and found the 14060m. Instead, I would have walked out with a brand new 114060, a month ago. (Which in all actuality would have been great, as well!)

Another interesting point is that (though I plan on wearing the heck out of this watch,) I totally appreciate those collectors who are guarding their “safe queens.” Those collectors are doing us a great service; preserving watches in pristine condition so that someone else will benefit later; someone like me, buying an eight year old watch in essentially “new” condition.

Aesthetically, just gazing at the watch, it is simply “perfect” to me visually. The Rolex Submariner is simply “the” watch for me.

(Found the hidden Crown!) :)

Some folks might respond to my excitement and enthusiasm with statements like, “It’s just a watch!”

Well, one could also say that Michelangelo’s Pieta is “just a statue“ or that Cologne Cathedral is “just a building.”

Not every man-made creation is a thing of beauty or excellence, but when they are, there’s nothing wrong with appreciating these qualities.

And if Rolex Submariners were inexpensive, (like a Timex or Casio,) and if Submariners were commonplace, I would still want one for all the above reasons.

As for it’s high price, that has never made the Submariner more desirable to me; it has only served as a reason why I’ve never owned one.

Speaking of price, this ad from 1964 is intriguing; I was 5 years old at the time.

Apparently $195.00 was a lot of money for a watch back then, but even adjusting for inflation, that would only equate to around $1,600 today. I’m sure other factors have driven the price up, like technical improvements, name recognition, desirability and status.

Regardless, now that I actually own one of these treasures, it is “the one” for me and no others.

Her maiden voyage...

Thank you, TRF members for educating me and thank you Nima, for helping make my dream a reality!

The iconic Rolex Submariner.

I can’t believe it’s on my wrist and I actually own one!!!

Thank you for taking the time to share in my joy!

God bless you and yours!

Michael

P.S. Photographing the watch has already proven much more challenging than I had anticipated! And “wrist shots” even more so!

Over time I will try to add more pictures to this thread, particularly “vintage still lifes” and “classic wrist shots.”
Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:10 AM   #2
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Thanks for your service Michael and for sharing your history with the Submariner. Your passion is well acknowledged and appreciated on the Rolex forum I'm sure. You scored a great example of the best tool watch ever made. I had a 14060m and now enjoying my 114060. Their all great, any Sub is a good Sub. Enjoy....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:12 AM   #3
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Great thread. Thank you for posting and for your service.
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:17 AM   #4
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270

Great post and story.... I enjoyed reading it. It makes your watch special it's not "just a watch". lol.

124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:22 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations

Fantastic story, and glad you finally obtained your Submariner.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:25 AM   #6
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Welcome to friends
thanks for sharing
nice to read so much enthusiasm and passion
Great story and wonderful Sub nice pic and enjoy
we want to see more pic
Old 15 July 2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Bryant Park
Banned

Outstanding and thank you for your patriotism and setvice.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:27 AM   #8
LeftCoastBias
"TRF" Member

Watch: I AM BATMAN
We need more posts like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...it just gets more random and obscure from there...
LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:29 AM   #9
Juantxo
Banned

The best post I’ve read here so far. Thank you.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:31 AM   #10
Oldfellow
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you Michael for one of the most enjoyable stories I have read on this forum.
Your journey is most interesting, and the photos are great.
Congratulations on selecting the 14060M, you will enjoy it every day you wear it.
I consider myself lucky to also have one, a Z Series, which I purchased in excellent condition.
Look forward to future interesting articles from you.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:33 AM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Thank you for your service Mr. Submariner. Clearly this watch was destined to find the right owner! Wear in good health!

AOW
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:41 AM   #12
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
Outstanding post sir!!!
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:43 AM   #13
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Thank you, Nikrnic, Marcjvr, Brich436, brandrea, Gerry62, Bryant Park, LeftCoastBias, Juantxo, Oldfellow, and Kieselguhr!!!

Very warm words and a kind welcome!!!

I’m very touched by your replies!!!

God bless you all,

Michael
Old 15 July 2019, 07:44 AM   #14
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Thank you, chazadams!!!
Old 15 July 2019, 07:46 AM   #15
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Bravo Zulu Sailor!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:49 AM   #16
Sydny2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, GMT
Yes sir. That’s why I love my Sub, truly classic! Thanks for sharing.
Sydny2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:51 AM   #17
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Well done, Michaeli!

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:52 AM   #18
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
I'll never get tired of reading these threads!
Old 15 July 2019, 07:56 AM   #19
TimelessQuality
"TRF" Member

Beautiful post, thank you for sharing.
TimelessQuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:57 AM   #20
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

Great story.

Enjoy your Submariner with good health and your partner for many years!
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 07:58 AM   #21
Brew
"TRF" Member

Congrats, I'm glad you got your watch!
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 08:00 AM   #22
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Fantastic post. Really enjoyed reading it, and learning of your journey. FWIW, I don’t think you could have picked a more perfect watch. Enjoy it and thanks for your service!
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 08:08 AM   #23
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Great post. Congrats.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 08:13 AM   #24
aksd
"TRF" Member

Fantastic post, one of the reasons why I love visiting this forum is for threads like this.
aksd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 08:17 AM   #25
Indy11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
One of the best threads I’ve read in sometime here! Thanks for sharing and YES thank you for your service! Wishing you many years of wearing and enjoying one the best!
Indy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 08:23 AM   #26
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

I really appreciate all of your kindness and support, Swaye, sydny2, El Cascarrabias, august1410, Timeless Quality, GarbanzoNegro, Brew, and chester01!!!

Never did I expect such praise and I’m truly honored and humbled.

The Rolex Submariner is such an iconic classic, it really deserves to be recognized.

This is certainly an active forum!!!

Michael
Old 15 July 2019, 08:24 AM   #27
tatery
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 polar
Awesome post and great story. Very happy you got this watch and made this a reality! If subs were $195 again, I'd have a problem - running out of storage space
Old 15 July 2019, 08:28 AM   #28
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Great post ! Congrats !
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 08:32 AM   #29
1911 Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub date
There is no bad reason for wanting a Rolex. True, it isn't "Just a watch." I loved reading your story. Most on here have their own personal Journey to owning a Rolex story, and I love reading all of them. Enjoy your treasure, congrats on finally obtaining it, welcome to the forum, and Thank you for your service.
1911 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 08:34 AM   #30
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Fantastic read. One of the best posts I’ve read in a while. Amazing pics and great story. Congrats!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote