The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2019, 08:52 AM   #121
darthgman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
If you don't want to scream Rolex, go with the Explorer. Personally, I was in the same boat but went with the DJ jubilee with black dial because I liked it more.

Someday, you will want it to scream "Rolex" though...
darthgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:12 AM   #122
lucid
Banned

I think the explorer gets in the mix of sporty and dress watch, put if you want to go for something really classy and gently manly go for the DJ on my opinion.
i would go for the DJ
lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:51 AM   #123
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthgman View Post
Someday, you will want it to scream "Rolex" though...
When does that day come?
aggierolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:06 AM   #124
RKTINC1
"TRF" Member

Explorer

As a first watch I vote 39mm explorer. The 36 you are looking at always seemed too small and had a flimsy old style clasp. The new 39mm Exp 1 is a timeless stunner that fits in situation.

I would add a nice used DateJust in the future to provide a dressy option. Only exception is if your wrist is too small to wear a 39mm exp 1. Then go for a vintage 16200 all brushed datejust for a classic look and timeless style.

Remember, this will probably NOT be your only Rolex. Take your time and add as you feel you are ready.

Also consider your work attire. My first Rolex was a white dial 16234. I was wearing a suit everyday and thought the white roman worked well with that daily. Subs were everywhere so I chose to go dressy. Still my most common wear over my Daytona, Speedy, new DJ and vintage tiffany DJ.

One thought, instead of one new DJ with and expensive white gold bezel. Buy two used watches. DateJust 16234 and an Explorer 1. Those two together will be a bit more but you will have a dress/sport set that gives you instant contrast in any situation. I bet if you call a good national seller and offer to buy two mint condition watches they will help you out. I would vote: 16234 silver/white dial and 114270 late production model
RKTINC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:12 PM   #125
blacklisted917
"TRF" Member

Given this same scenario, I went with the Explorer and would not hesitate to make the same decision again. I have been wearing a friend's blue dial DJ41 (plain bezel, jubilee) and I really like it but find it just doesn't work as well in every situation like the Explorer does, but, it easily outshines the Explorer in some instances.

Take that with a grain of salt as I'm in a suit 4-5 days week and equally as likely to be wearing athletic apparel or business casual (sports coat) during the weekend. I haven't found a single situation where I'm reaching for a different watch instead of the Explorer. I can't say the same for the Datejust, especially if it had the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet.
blacklisted917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:12 PM   #126
blacklisted917
"TRF" Member

Given this same scenario, I went with the Explorer and would not hesitate to make the same decision again. I have been wearing a friend's blue dial DJ41 (plain bezel, jubilee) and I really like it but find it just doesn't work as well in every situation like the Explorer does, but, it easily outshines the Explorer in some instances.

Take that with a grain of salt as I'm in a suit 4-5 days week and equally as likely to be wearing athletic apparel or business casual (sports coat) during the weekend. I haven't found a single situation where I'm reaching for a different watch instead of the Explorer. I can't say the same for the Datejust, especially if it had the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet.
blacklisted917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:27 PM   #127
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Another vote for the explorer!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:41 PM   #128
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierolex View Post
I'll have to try on a 41 next time I have the chance. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the 41 wasn't actually 41mm. I don't have particularly small wrists (7in) but I feel like the 36mm is more in my style. I feel like it makes the watches fly more under the radar. The goal of this watch isn't to show off, they're just great watches. I feel like there is a stigma that goes along with Rolex that is tough to overcome. Can't worry about what other people think though (as I ask for strangers opinions online lol).
DJ41 is actually 39.9 mm. There are so many options on how to choose one, from sporty to dressy it can easily be a collection of one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 01:00 PM   #129
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
One Watch Collection: Explorer or Datejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
DJ41 is actually 39.9 mm. There are so many options on how to choose one, from sporty to dressy it can easily be a collection of one.

Right and to be honest any Rolex with a gold fluted bezel is going to be shout out be it the 36mm or 41 (39.5) the DJ41 is more versatile imo. Can wear it casual or dressed up. It’s actually very thin. Under 12mm. Lastly I hate the lug shape of my 36mm. I don’t understand when people say the 36 has the perfect proportions. It looks like a mini maxi case to me. The DJ41 lugs taper in perfectly imo. The 41 will hold its resale better (I know you said you won’t sell it but you’re young. You never know. I said I would never sell my first Rolex and I sold it about 12 years ago. Peoples styles and wants change.) at least in the short term as Rolex made them all allocated watches now so if you want the 41 id start looking now. They are not easy to find at all if buying at a AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 01:14 PM   #130
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKTINC1 View Post
As a first watch I vote 39mm explorer. The 36 you are looking at always seemed too small and had a flimsy old style clasp. The new 39mm Exp 1 is a timeless stunner that fits in situation.

I would add a nice used DateJust in the future to provide a dressy option. Only exception is if your wrist is too small to wear a 39mm exp 1. Then go for a vintage 16200 all brushed datejust for a classic look and timeless style.

Remember, this will probably NOT be your only Rolex. Take your time and add as you feel you are ready.

Also consider your work attire. My first Rolex was a white dial 16234. I was wearing a suit everyday and thought the white roman worked well with that daily. Subs were everywhere so I chose to go dressy. Still my most common wear over my Daytona, Speedy, new DJ and vintage tiffany DJ.

One thought, instead of one new DJ with and expensive white gold bezel. Buy two used watches. DateJust 16234 and an Explorer 1. Those two together will be a bit more but you will have a dress/sport set that gives you instant contrast in any situation. I bet if you call a good national seller and offer to buy two mint condition watches they will help you out. I would vote: 16234 silver/white dial and 114270 late production model
The bracelet is why I started looking at the datejust. That and it being new for the occasion.

You're right, this won't be my only Rolex. I could see myself getting a GMT down the line. For now I have a Stowa flieger (no date, no logo), Big Pilot 5002 and a Grande Reverso in white gold in my sights for down the road. You're right, subs are all over the place.

I'm an engineer so work is pretty casual. Jeans, boots and a button down and I'm on the dressier side.

I like the idea of buying 2 instead of one if I was buying them for myself. This will come from my wife as a wedding present and it would be more special as only 1. Plus I'd look ridiculous wearing two watches during the wedding, but that would also be pretty sweet.
Old 19 November 2019, 01:16 PM   #131
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the replies

Seriously, thanks to everyone for keeping this going. I've been pleasantly surprised at how long this thread has stayed alive and really appreciate it. It's been fun.
Old 19 November 2019, 10:53 PM   #132
Nimzowitsch
"TRF" Member

I was in the same boat as you ...

I just recently sold my DateJust Ref. 16234 with platinum bezel, silver dial.

I absolutely loved that watch. I loved how comfortable the barely worn jubilee bracelet was wearing it, loved the cyclop over date as it screamed Rolex and felt I was part of the club so to say.

I loved how light bounced off the fluted bezel during meetings. But most of all, I really loved the aesthetic of the watch.

However, I always wanted a Rolex Explorer. As soon as I got the DateJust I found myself lusting over an Explorer and regretting my decision. I only kept the Datejust for 9 months before flipping it and am now about to get my Rolex Explorer 114270.

I personally prefer the rugged, yet elegant look of the Explorer. Since the fluted bezel is made of platinum (at least it was on my model) and as we know its property is that it's significantly softer than steel, I found it awkward wearing it while helping a friend assemble his furniture. The watch is just too delicate for my taste and felt uneasy wearing when I was performing a physical activity.

Summa Summarum: both are excellent choices and I'll probably end up getting a DJ at a later stage, but my vote goes for Explorer 114270 at the present time.
Nimzowitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:57 PM   #133
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Tough call but if we are only comparing current references I would go with the DJ

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:02 AM   #134
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is what I would go for, but I'd get the fluted bezel. I think it looks off with the smooth bezel. A disco ball is pretty funny though.
I tend to agree- DJ36 oyster/fluted is an underrated combo.

Also, it’s worth noting the DJ41 fluted bezel will be flashier than the DJ36 fluted bezel.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:20 AM   #135
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzowitsch View Post
I found it awkward wearing it while helping a friend assemble his furniture. The watch is just too delicate for my taste and felt uneasy wearing when I was performing a physical activity.
Thanks for your advice, definitely similar situations. This is why I'm hesitant on the DJ. I know it is an oyster case and just as tough as the Explorer, but I have always seen it as an office watch. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be mowing the yard or working on my car with it on. I know it could take a beating no problem but it feels like it is too nice of a watch for that. I think I'd baby it more than an Explorer. I guess that's what beaters are for...
Old 20 November 2019, 01:22 AM   #136
MSchu
Banned

delicate... rolex?
you're, kidding right?
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:25 AM   #137
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
delicate... rolex?
you're, kidding right?
I understand what both of y'all are saying. You're absolutly right (I even made a post about this). It's a steel oyster Rolex. It is tough as nails. At the same time though, it is a nice watch. Like a really nice watch. Something about abusing a DJ feels wrong.
Old 20 November 2019, 02:07 AM   #138
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
This is easy, if you passed out for plus/minus 70hr or less only one watch would tell you how many days you were out.

On a serious note, i think the clasp on the datejust feels nicer and more substantial than the tuna can clasp, you have a better power reserve, the date even if you don't care now you might later since this is a life time watch, more variety in combo's to choose from. I love the explorer but in my opinion the 36mm falls slightly short on a few fronts when compared to newer models.
jbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 02:09 AM   #139
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand what both of y'all are saying. You're absolutly right (I even made a post about this). It's a steel oyster Rolex. It is tough as nails. At the same time though, it is a nice watch. Like a really nice watch. Something about abusing a DJ feels wrong.
haha, i said it on the last thread, i will say it again

Multi link stainless steel bracelet with 100m water resistance, three hand configuration with a date.
Royal Oak=sports watch
Nautilus=sports watch
datejust=dress watch?

3135 movement(granted your looking at newer movement)
Sub=tough watch
yatchmaster=tough watch
deepsea=tough watch
datejust=delicate?
Old 20 November 2019, 02:25 AM   #140
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeden View Post

Multi link stainless steel bracelet with 100m water resistance, three hand configuration with a date.

Royal Oak=sports watch

Nautilus=sports watch

datejust=dress watch?

Sub=tough watch

yatchmaster=tough watch

deepsea=tough watch

datejust=delicate?

The new DJ41 is also more shock resistant then a submariner. Other then the fact that its “only” 100 meters water resistant its actually more or at least equal of a sports watch in the real day to day activities then the SS sports models by Rolex and other brands.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 02:37 AM   #141
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Royal Oak=sports watch
Nautilus=sports watch
datejust=dress watch?

Sub=tough watch
yatchmaster=tough watch
deepsea=tough watch
datejust=delicate?

This was an afterthought on the last thread. I'm not sure about the Nautilus, but I don't think a Royal Oak (regular, not offshore) is a true sports watch due to the non screw down crown. I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but that's my opinion and I feel strongly about it and tbh, it kind of pisses me off it doesn't screw down.
Old 20 November 2019, 02:48 AM   #142
Santiago79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner a
Hands down get the Datejust. They both are nice designs but the DJ is has a more conservative look.
Santiago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 03:34 AM   #143
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was an afterthought on the last thread. I'm not sure about the Nautilus, but I don't think a Royal Oak (regular, not offshore) is a true sports watch due to the non screw down crown. I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but that's my opinion and I feel strongly about it and tbh, it kind of pisses me off it doesn't screw down.
That is sort of the point with the post, obviously meant tongue and cheek, some can get so caught up in a category. Most "sports watches" or "tough watches" were deemed so and earned their reputation when there were no G-shocks, or solar powered, titanium, shatter proof citizen, seiko, victorinox, ect. I still vote datejust because it is more useful, better power reserve, and cannot be proven to be any "weaker" than an explorer that is 10years(guess) older.
Old 20 November 2019, 03:38 AM   #144
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is sort of the point with the post, obviously meant tongue and cheek, some can get so caught up in a category. Most "sports watches" or "tough watches" were deemed so and earned their reputation when there were no G-shocks, or solar powered, titanium, shatter proof citizen, seiko, victorinox, ect. I still vote datejust because it is more useful, better power reserve, and cannot be proven to be any "weaker" than an explorer that is 10years(guess) older.
Went over my head lol. I was just so shocked about the RO crown and as you can tell, it still gets me going.
Old 20 November 2019, 03:39 AM   #145
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I like the 41 with the oyster bracelet and smooth bezel. It hits all the right buttons for me.

Wow man i hate DJ's but this is a amazing photo or watch
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 03:59 AM   #146
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Went over my head lol. I was just so shocked about the RO crown and as you can tell, it still gets me going.
Well best of luck in your choosing. The good news is, likes Lays potato chips, you cant just have one, so if you are not totally satisfied you can get another one later. haha
Old 20 November 2019, 04:08 AM   #147
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well best of luck in your choosing. The good news is, likes Lays potato chips, you cant just have one, so if you are not totally satisfied you can get another one later. haha
It's looking more and more like that is what will happen.
Old 20 November 2019, 05:25 AM   #148
Jim_K
"TRF" Member

Timely thread as I am going through the same decision process right now.

I currently have 2 Rolexes.....a Datejust I received from my wife on my 30th birthday (first Rolex) and a 14060M I received on my 40th birthday from her as well.

I love them both. I recently started to wear the DJ after many years sitting in the drawer (needs a service) and I forgot how much I love the 36mm size.

I have recently been itching for another watch and I am seriously considering the DJ36 and the 39mm Explorer. Gotta tell you i am leaning towards the DJ36 with a jubilee and silver dial. Love the modern look and changes. I can't find a Explorer 39mm to try on, very frustrating.

Good luck in your search.
Jim_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 02:28 AM   #149
Boney3147
"TRF" Member

DJ for me

Boney3147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 06:34 AM   #150
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K View Post
I have recently been itching for another watch and I am seriously considering the DJ36 and the 39mm Explorer. Gotta tell you i am leaning towards the DJ36 with a jubilee and silver dial. Love the modern look and changes. I can't find a Explorer 39mm to try on, very frustrating.

Good luck in your search.
I haven't been able to find a 39mm MK2. It's pretty frustrating.