The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 November 2019, 08:54 AM   #31
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
Fine with me, Enjoy your watch. I assume you bought to enjoy, not flip.
100%...have had it several years. Looking to sell to fund another purchase
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 08:55 AM   #32
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
I have had 3 trusted sellers decline a purchase of my 114060 stating they already had several for sale at the current moment. There is nothing otherwise “wrong” with the watch. This leads me to believe inventory might not be moving as quickly. Just something interesting I wanted to share
I’m not surprised. I guess it depends on which grey’s you contacted. There’s not a lot of markup or room to make much on that watch. They may not want to mess with it.

New from AD = 8K with tax
Grey sells it new/unworn = 9 to 9.5K
If your watch is used/worn = market price 7.5K to 8K grey might pay 6K ??

If you bought from an AD You can probably sell it yourself and not lose much money.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 09:19 AM   #33
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

UK greys are offering significantly less to buy than they were 6 months ago but they aren't offering their watches for sale at a lower price but the watches are hanging around a lot longer.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 09:20 AM   #34
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
I have had 3 trusted sellers decline a purchase of my 114060 stating they already had several for sale at the current moment. There is nothing otherwise “wrong” with the watch. This leads me to believe inventory might not be moving as quickly. Just something interesting I wanted to share
I’d say your probably on to something
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 09:55 AM   #35
J-rob
"TRF" Member

Oh a grey will definitely buy your watch, but you almost certainly will not get the amount you are looking for. They have overhead and they make their money when they buy the watches.

Unless you’re just looking for quick cash, you should sell it yourself.
J-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 09:58 AM   #36
cdubg21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-rob View Post
Oh a grey will definitely buy your watch, but you almost certainly will not get the amount you are looking for. They have overhead and they make their money when they buy the watches.

Unless you’re just looking for quick cash, you should sell it yourself.
we never even got to a purchase price. It was a simple “I have a lot of those at the moment, so I’m not looking to buy a right now” which is why I found it particularly interesting
Old 15 November 2019, 12:07 PM   #37
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Another sign. IMO the bubble deflate slowly as greys try to recoup their investments in a saturated market. Things will be normal again a year from now (ie. you'll be able to buy any SS model directly from your AD. But don't expect a discount.)
When things are normal again, expect a discount.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2019, 07:04 PM   #38
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTOSUB View Post
Why do you want to sell your 114060? And what price?

Trust me - one of the trusted sellers would buy it depending on the price. It all comes down to price.
Exactly.

This post means nothing without hearing the conversation, and knowing OP's, expectations as to price, tone and attitude during the conversation.

I have a hard time believing that any trusted seller would pass up a sub with nothing wrong with it, if the price was right. And the right price to a dealer is wholesale. Which has nothing to do with the price the watch is resold for.
Old 15 November 2019, 10:45 PM   #39
cdubg21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Exactly.

This post means nothing without hearing the conversation, and knowing OP's, expectations as to price, tone and attitude during the conversation.

I have a hard time believing that any trusted seller would pass up a sub with nothing wrong with it, if the price was right. And the right price to a dealer is wholesale. Which has nothing to do with the price the watch is resold for.
Better believe it. Conversations were as simple as “Hope all is well. Looking to sell my 114060 full set dated xx/xx. Please let me know what other information you need.”

All three declined to make any sort of offer citing too many in inventory ATM
Old 15 November 2019, 10:56 PM   #40
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

At this instant there are exactly 350 114060 Submariners No Date with box and papers on Chrono24.
J.P.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 11:06 PM   #41
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Just go to crown and caliber’s website and see how many GMT’s they have, especially the 116710 BLNR.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 11:13 PM   #42
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
This is typical of these guys. Anytime you want to sell them something they find the slightest defect to knock your price down even if they need a 60 power loupe to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm no fan of dealers but I also don't think some people can have it both ways.

There are people who post on here about how their watch may have a tiny, tiny scratch on it and people reply how the watch is ruined and how their life couldn't go on if their watch was like that!

If these people look at a watch with a loupe and see a scratch and think it is ruined, they then surely can't expect a dealer to pay top money if they sell the same.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 11:15 PM   #43
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Here’s the thing. The thriving economy and release of all of these new models (Pepsi, Daytona, Etc) has taken place years ago at this point. Most everyone who has the means and desire to own one of these watches and is willing to pay a premium, has purchased one! I have been saying for years this is not sustainable and the watches will come back to reality, but people keep buying and putting them in the safe thinking they will just keep climbing.
Every grey dealer has enough inventory and the demand is falling in line.
Old 15 November 2019, 11:47 PM   #44
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
I wouldn't mind a slight correction at this point. It could scare away a lot of the people who got into watches for the wrong reasons ($$$) and leave some of the more unsavory resellers burned and forced to move stuff quick at better prices.

I don't think we'll ever get back to below MSRP sales, but I can see some people getting fatigued by all this nonsense or just getting bored and moving on to the next hyped thing.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 11:53 PM   #45
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Rolex market is starting to crash …. just wait all you flippers! Glad all mine are for ME only and true watch enthusiast! Think I will sit back and watch all the crying.
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 11:55 PM   #46
cdubg21
Banned

As long as grays can sell at a big premium over MSRP, the market conditions enable MSRP buyers to make a quick buck, and thus there us immense demand at the AD level. If the movement of gray inventory slows, prices drop, the margins for grays erode, which means they need to buy lower (or not al all) and the margins for MSRP buyers erode. If this downward momentum continues to the point that margins for flippers are “no longer worth the time and effort” I believe we will see demand limited back to people buying from AD’s for personal use. This WILL happen, perhaps it is already starting, but who knows how long the cycle will take to complete.
Old 15 November 2019, 11:57 PM   #47
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I just sold my 114060. A trusted grey offered me 7k plus his label. I politely declined and sold it for what I paid for it at msrp and didn’t lose any money on it. I’m not a very big fan of grey dealers in general, never bought anything from them and probably never will given their asking prices.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 11:59 PM   #48
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Maybe its not worth it for them to only make $300 on it. Take some nice pics sell it on Trf for 7-8K and watch how fast it sells.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 12:53 AM   #49
1665fan
"TRF" Member

There’s millions of subs out there.....bottom of the sportsline....tell them u have a daytona or Pepsi and see what they say
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 02:14 AM   #50
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
There’s millions of subs out there.....bottom of the sportsline....tell them u have a daytona or Pepsi and see what they say
Not true at all imo they are just some of the older 6 digit references that are still in production. So most that want one in current form have already purchased, unlike the D500 and BLRO that have only been offered for a few years now. When the 116610s launched in 2010 they helped reinvigorate demand for Rolex watches after the horrible recession. Tons of GMT Masters and Daytonas are out on the market as well. Only 5 digit Daytonas were somewhat rare.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 02:46 AM   #51
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
A grey offered me £6.8k for my 116500 a few months back!! I laughed at them and then sold it for more than twice that.

I don’t know how the industry works, but given the amount of capital they have tied up, they probably have to work on very high margins to make it work.

I’m not convinced the market is slowing up as radically as people think. But I’m no expert and it’s just an opinion.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 03:01 AM   #52
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
I feel that the market is slowing and is softening. Many of these sellers can not lower their price because if one does it and others follow, it will confirm a market in decline.

They have to be like Alec Baldwin..."You know what it takes to sell Real Estate...?"

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 03:02 AM   #53
BBBlue
Banned

Watch: Tag Heuer Monaco
Quote:

Lots of Subs out there
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 03:16 AM   #54
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
I feel that the market is slowing and is softening. Many of these sellers can not lower their price because if one does it and others follow, it will confirm a market in decline.

They have to be like Alec Baldwin..."You know what it takes to sell Real Estate...?"
They will cave eventually as bills pile up etc....it will be gradually by it will happen. DavidSW broke sub 15,000 on the 126710 BLNR; baby steps but they will start to fall (my opinion).
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 03:17 AM   #55
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans14 View Post
My point is, if someone is trying to make money through you take everything they say with a grain of salt.
Wise words.[/QUOTE]

completely agree.
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 03:21 AM   #56
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I just sold my 114060. A trusted grey offered me 7k plus his label. I politely declined and sold it for what I paid for it at msrp and didn’t lose any money on it. I’m not a very big fan of grey dealers in general, never bought anything from them and probably never will given their asking prices.
exactly, remember they have to make big margins , I was offered 3 months ago by my Sub C date 9.5k by a grey and was able to sell it myself at almost 11k, try selling it directly and u should 7.5 to 8 k without much problem.
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 03:22 AM   #57
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
White 116500 is about $3k off the peak from 2 months ago

Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 04:33 AM   #58
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have been looking for that one new from an AD. Hopefully, will happen soon. Market is clearly cooling off and the buyers who buy just to resell at a profit have lessened.
Not concerned as I think a new model will appear in the spring which may explain the smart money no longer wants this model except at the right "lower" price.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 04:47 AM   #59
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Time of the year gents

Let’s see what next year holds

It sure ain’t gonna be sudden availability of all models at your local friendly AD (or will it.......)
Old 16 November 2019, 04:49 AM   #60
T.Stanley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As long as grays can sell at a big premium over MSRP, the market conditions enable MSRP buyers to make a quick buck, and thus there us immense demand at the AD level. If the movement of gray inventory slows, prices drop, the margins for grays erode, which means they need to buy lower (or not al all) and the margins for MSRP buyers erode. If this downward momentum continues to the point that margins for flippers are “no longer worth the time and effort” I believe we will see demand limited back to people buying from AD’s for personal use. This WILL happen, perhaps it is already starting, but who knows how long the cycle will take to complete.
This. 100% agreed.
T.Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote