The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 October 2009, 06:03 AM   #1
MikeJaye

18k GMTIIC

Well I've now had my GMT for about a month and I'd thought I would put finger to keyboard and do a quick review to let you know how we're getting on together (and help persuade anyone that is unsure of getting one!)

I've been looking for a gold watch for a while now and was not very certain that it was my kind of thing...but after a bit of research and basically getting persuaded to get it on various forums I took the plunge...and I'm glad I did. To get it I had to move on my Milgauss GV & Sub LV. My GMTC isn't brand new but a cherished one that is just a tad under 3 years old...so probably one of the very first one made. I got it from a very reputable dealer in the UK and bought it without evern trying it on. I had though tried gold Subs on and previously I have owned a TT & SS GMTIIC's so I knew what I was getting into. When it arrived I was blown away by it...comparing it to the old style subs that i tried on it was a lot better (maxi dial, clasp, AR coating on cyclops, etc) and I was very pleased.

Fast forward a month and it has been my daily wearer...to work, out and about on the weekend during the day and night. I only take it off when I'm in the kitchen at home and cooking up a feast! Once dinner is out the way it's back on the wrist again.

It has got some weight to it...about 209 grams with a few links taken out. When being worn it never becomes uncomfortable though as the weight is nicely distributed due to the solid gold bracelet. The bracelet does have PCL which quite pron to scratching. In the past PCL models I've had are the daytona and SS GMTIIC...both of which I hated having PCL. I was always super worried about getting the bracelet scratched and it would annoy me. Not so on the 18k GMT though...as the gold is quite bright I don't think the micro scratches are that visible though...this macro pic shows that they have picked up quite a few...

And on the clasp...

For some reason it doesn't seem to bother me...probably because I know that I'm not going to sell this one down the line (like I have with all my others)

As we know the 3186 movement is very robust and has amazing accuracy...I'm getting about 2+ish a day. Movement is a joy to wind, feels very smooth. The hour hand jumps into place very nicely too and without any movement from the other hands (unlike my older SS GMT).

The gloss and shine of the cermanic bezel compliments the flashiness of the gold. In my eye it is a massive improvement over the older style metal bezel inserts. The bezel also rotates very smoothly too...it just feels nice to give a turn once in a while for no other reason that it just feels so precise! the Gold coated numbers on the bezel insert also suit the overall style on the watch. On the TT version for me it seemed a bit over the top...on the 18k GMT just prefect.

I'm trying to think if there is anything I don't like about the 18kGMTC...but am struggling. To me it is my perfect watch and can only recommend it!

MikeJaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 06:04 AM   #2
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Well Done!!! I love the GMTIIC! but I prefer the stainless steel one. A bit more discreet!
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust1 View Post
Well Done!!! I love the GMTIIC! but I prefer the stainless steel one. A bit more discreet!
I thought that and it was my intention to get the SS one to replace the Ingot.

I kept the SS version for just a week. It just couldn't stand up to the competition.

Old 13 October 2009, 06:39 AM   #4
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

A nice review Mike and a beautiful watch as well!!!
The GMT IIC is my fav as well....Enjoy it and heres to many years on your wrist!!!
Rob.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 06:44 AM   #5
MikeJaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
I thought that and it was my intention to get the SS one to replace the Ingot.

I kept the SS version for just a week. It just couldn't stand up to the competition.

Great comparison photos there! The SS looks so cold and clinical next to the gold version...that's why I sold mine after a few weeks too.
Old 14 October 2009, 01:29 AM   #6
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Nice review of a fantastic watch.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 01:53 AM   #7
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
HMMMN - sometimes you're in the mood for the gold sometimes the SS - apples vs oranges...you know the score. Have both. Both are beautiful. by the way why hasn't the YG GMT got the green date???? ..or has it??

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 02:58 AM   #8
MikeJaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
HMMMN - sometimes you're in the mood for the gold sometimes the SS - apples vs oranges...you know the score. Have both. Both are beautiful. by the way why hasn't the YG GMT got the green date???? ..or has it??
I've still got my SS GMTII 16710 (which I prefer over the 116710), so when I'm not in the mood for gold i pop that on. 99% of the time the I'm wearing the gold one...

Yep, 18k GMTC does have the green date wheel...just doesn't come out well in my dodgy pics.
Old 14 October 2009, 04:48 AM   #9
Rolesor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Great review and great pictures of a BEAUTIFUL watch. Congrats!!
Rolesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 08:21 AM   #10
golfball123
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD & GMT,TT SUB
and i was thinking whether to buy the gmt2c SS to be worn for sporting days....
YG Date-Date,
YG GMT IIc (Black dial). SS GMT IIc
golfball123 is offline   Reply With Quote