The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 February 2018, 12:53 PM   #1
the_natural
"TRF" Member

How does a (new) Speedmaster Professional wear compared to an Explorer?

For whatever reason there's a Rolex AD less than two miles from my house, but the nearest Omega AD is an hour away. So I haven't yet had the chance to go and put on a Speedmaster Professional.

I've been wanting a new Hesalite Moonwatch for awhile. Maybe Rolex has my senses skewed, but the Speedy Pro seems like a great value, killer looks, storied history, etc. I wonder though how it'll wear...

I know it's easy to find negative comments online, but I've read that the bracelet isn't awesome because there isn't enough adjustability, it's heavy, the links are thick and big, etc. I know it comes with a NATO as well, but I really think I'm 99% a bracelet guy (though I agree it looks great on a NATO).

So I'm curious if anyone on here has had extended wrist time with both, particularly the current Speedmaster iteration, and can give me your thoughts.

the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 01:50 PM   #2
jsuarez
"TRF" Member

You’re gonna love the Speedmaster. I have the 16570 EXP II and my speedy wears just as well. The bracelet is a bit heavier but it fits well around my 7.25” wrist with no issues. Some days I find I even prefer it to the EXP bracelet because of its fit and finish.
jsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 02:23 PM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

They wear completely differently IMO for my smallish wrist (6.75). Explorer 39 fits like a glove , perfect size for my wrist, extreme comfortable. Speedy on bracelet is terrible IMO. Heavy, no half-links and minimally adjustable clasp made sizing it less than ideal and it wears big- well, like a 42. Put it on a NATO or a leather strap, however, and it fits GREAT, feels smaller than a 42 mm, is very comfortable. It looks great on any strap. Excellent compliment to an explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:19 AM   #4
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_natural View Post

So I'm curious if anyone on here has had extended wrist time with both, particularly the current Speedmaster iteration, and can give me your thoughts.

I have both, the Speedmaster Pro sapphire and the Explorer 1 Mk2. I wear them in one or two week rotation. Here’s my take on them:

The Speedy is, and feels, a little bit heavier on the wrist, but not by much. It also sits slightly taller.

It doesn’t have an easylink clasp like the Explorer, but here’s the thing. When I wear the Explorer (my wrist is 6.3” btw), I always use the easylink extension. If it’s too loose I tightened it and vice versa. Otherwise it will be uncomfortable.

On the other hand, when I wear the Speedy, I never need to adjust it. If it becomes a bit too loose or a bit too tight, it’s fine and still comfortable.

So my opinion is that the Explorer has to be sized/adjusted right, otherwise if it’s slightly too loose or a slightly too tight it’s uncomfortable. The Speedy is much more forgiving here. Too tight or too loose, it’s still comfortable.

I sized both bracelets the same way, fit my wrist..snug fit I guess.

I tried my Speedy on a NATO that came with it, but I find it makes the watch too tall and uncomfortable. After trying it for two days I removed it and put the watch back on the bracelet.

In the end, both are comfortable. I love them both.
geebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 12:10 PM   #5
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebob View Post
I have both, the Speedmaster Pro sapphire and the Explorer 1 Mk2. I wear them in one or two week rotation. Here’s my take on them:

The Speedy is, and feels, a little bit heavier on the wrist, but not by much. It also sits slightly taller.

It doesn’t have an easylink clasp like the Explorer, but here’s the thing. When I wear the Explorer (my wrist is 6.3” btw), I always use the easylink extension. If it’s too loose I tightened it and vice versa. Otherwise it will be uncomfortable.

On the other hand, when I wear the Speedy, I never need to adjust it. If it becomes a bit too loose or a bit too tight, it’s fine and still comfortable.

So my opinion is that the Explorer has to be sized/adjusted right, otherwise if it’s slightly too loose or a slightly too tight it’s uncomfortable. The Speedy is much more forgiving here. Too tight or too loose, it’s still comfortable.

I sized both bracelets the same way, fit my wrist..snug fit I guess.

I tried my Speedy on a NATO that came with it, but I find it makes the watch too tall and uncomfortable. After trying it for two days I removed it and put the watch back on the bracelet.

In the end, both are comfortable. I love them both.
Thanks for this comprehensive info, it's exactly the kind of feedback I need.

I've never worn a NATO, but I've often wondered if I'd like it because of (a) the added height (as you said), and (b) the way it would feel to not have have the case back against the wrist. So while I wouldn't go so far as to assume I wouldn't like it, I think it's more likely that I'm a bracelet guy.

That's interesting what you said about the EasyLink. I keep mine ... in? I don't use it, and the watch fits me perfectly (I too wear it a big snug, and in my case above the bone). My wrist is about 6.7", and flat, so I'm not terribly worried that the 42mm of the Speedmaster will be too much, but if I could choose I would prefer it to be 39mm like the Explorer. As JR16 said above, it looks smaller on a strap, which I've heard a few times now, so that's a nice option, but I really want to wear it on the bracelet.

I have a Seiko SLA017, which I think is about the same height as the Speedy. I've struggled to like that watch, in part due to the bulky rubber strap (which is great in the summer), so I'm thinking of axing it for the Speedy. All that is to say, while I prefer slimmer watches, I don't think the height of the Speedy would be a problem. And I'm glad to hear that the Explorer and Speedy are about as near as makes no difference (I'm guessing your sapphire has a little more heft than the Hesalite version, too).

Thanks again. I've really gone back and forth about what to do, what I want, etc. While I like being (effectively since I never wear the SLA) a one-watch guy, the Moonwatch has been calling my name for a few months now...
Old 11 February 2018, 01:17 PM   #6
WJGESQ
Banned

Explorer is not even in the same league. Not even close. It's generic and impossibly bland next to a Speedy.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 10:46 PM   #7
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I had a 3570.50 and sold after one year. No matter what I tried I could never adjust the bracelet. I'm thinking about this new one because I love the Speedmaster but I'd have to add the adjustable clasp. The seamonster in the caseback was annoying as well. I don't understand decorated casebacks. Makes no sense.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 10:50 PM   #8
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
It's true that some owners have been unlucky getting the Speedmaster's current bracelet absolutely perfect. I actually have two bracelets for mine: the current reference 1958 with screw caps securing the pins, and also the previous reference 1998 with friction-fit pins. My experience with the two proves that, while they might appear nearly identical, the reference 1998 (previous) is slightly more adaptable because each of its individual links is actually slightly shorter than those in the the 1958 (current). Full length is ~equal for both bracelets, however the 1998 uses more links to achieve it (I don't recall whether it's one more or two more, but I can check my notes if needed).

After trying both bracelets for a while, my conclusion is the 1998 can be adjusted "perfecter" (I invented a word!) than the 1958, but I prefer to wear the 1958 because I can get it "perfect enough" for me, and I prefer the slightly different appearance of its slightly longer links. During the brutally cold winters where I live in The Great Lakes, I wear it one link shorter and with the micro-adjustment on its longer setting. In the warmer months, I go one link longer and move the micro-adjustment to its shorter setting, and the watch is loose enough to allow for swelling from rigorous activity or too much salt on my Margarita.

If it came to it, I believe you would find an owner out there with a 1998 bracelet who wants your 1958 bracelet (or, you could sell one and buy the other pretty easily).

I have lots of experience wearing the Explorer 214270 and the Speedmaster Pro. The Speedmaster will wear slightly longer from lug to lug, a little taller, and a little heavier. The taller height is a good thing because the shapes and finishes on the Speedmaster Pro are fascinating, and its taller architecture is part of this trait. I like the weighty feel of it on my wrist.

Comparative photos of the two on my wrist:

Also, I recommend having a strap or two that you can enjoy your Speedmaster Pro on. I have a couple of favorites, including the one Omega specifies for its current offering. It's black alligator and uses the Omega deployant clasp, and it tapers from 20mm at the lugs to 16mm at the clasp.

I'm a huge proponent of the Speedmaster Pro, so I'll be glad to assist with more encouragement any time :-)
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 02:31 AM   #9
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
It's true that some owners have been unlucky getting the Speedmaster's current bracelet absolutely perfect. I actually have two bracelets for mine: the current reference 1958 with screw caps securing the pins, and also the previous reference 1998 with friction-fit pins.
So the current (1958) bracelet doesn't have screws (like a Rolex), it has pins with screw caps/covers? I was hoping it had screws like my Oyster bracelet, I don't have a tool for the pins.

Quote:
My experience with the two proves that, while they might appear nearly identical, the reference 1998 (previous) is slightly more adaptable because each of its individual links is actually slightly shorter than those in the the 1958 (current). Full length is ~equal for both bracelets, however the 1998 uses more links to achieve it (I don't recall whether it's one more or two more, but I can check my notes if needed).

After trying both bracelets for a while, my conclusion is the 1998 can be adjusted "perfecter" (I invented a word!) than the 1958, but I prefer to wear the 1958 because I can get it "perfect enough" for me, and I prefer the slightly different appearance of its slightly longer links. During the brutally cold winters where I live in The Great Lakes, I wear it one link shorter and with the micro-adjustment on its longer setting. In the warmer months, I go one link longer and move the micro-adjustment to its shorter setting, and the watch is loose enough to allow for swelling from rigorous activity or too much salt on my Margarita.
Very interesting. That seems to jive with what I've heard elsewhere, that the current (1958) has longer links (and not enough micro adjustment) and thus makes getting a perfect fit more challenging that it did before with the 1998.

Quote:
I have lots of experience wearing the Explorer 214270 and the Speedmaster Pro. The Speedmaster will wear slightly longer from lug to lug, a little taller, and a little heavier. The taller height is a good thing because the shapes and finishes on the Speedmaster Pro are fascinating, and its taller architecture is part of this trait. I like the weighty feel of it on my wrist.
Great info. I pretty much assumed all of the above, but it's great to get confirmation, and I'm doubly glad that you've had extended wrist time with both watches.

Quote:
I'm a huge proponent of the Speedmaster Pro, so I'll be glad to assist with more encouragement any time :-)
Thank you! This was a lot of help. I need to just make the drive and go see one in the flesh, try it on (however marginally helpful that is), etc. I really want to like it, and while I bought my Explorer sight unseen, I don't think I could (should?) do that with the Speedmaster. We'll see...
Old 14 February 2018, 02:33 AM   #10
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Also how's the lume on the Speedmaster Pro?
Old 14 February 2018, 05:43 AM   #11
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_natural View Post
Also how's the lume on the Speedmaster Pro?
The lume is very good on the Speedmaster Pro. I'm wearing a brand new Submariner lately, and I'm finding that the Sub's newly revised material is a bit quicker to pick up a sufficient charge, and it glows a bit more evenly and longer than the Speedmaster does, but the Speedmaster's legibility in the dark ranks near the top of the class.

As for the pins in the reference 1958 bracelet: you don't need special tools to remove/reinstall the pins. Once the screw cap on one side of the link is removed, the pin will simply drop right out (you may have to tap on the links to dislodge the pin). Reinstalling is just as easy: with one screw cap off, the pin simply drops right into the hole, and the screw cap goes over it to complete the job.

If you suspect you're going to enjoy the Speedmaster Pro, then you're probably right. It's a lot of fun to own and wear.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 12:57 PM   #12
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As for the pins in the reference 1958 bracelet: you don't need special tools to remove/reinstall the pins. Once the screw cap on one side of the link is removed, the pin will simply drop right out (you may have to tap on the links to dislodge the pin). Reinstalling is just as easy: with one screw cap off, the pin simply drops right into the hole, and the screw cap goes over it to complete the job.
Interesting, thanks for the details. I imagine this is something to keep an eye on with use.