The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 August 2011, 05:45 AM   #31
hitower2
"TRF" Member

congrats chris, great pictures . nice watch . i bought the same six weeks ago. worn once . for me the best ever.
hitower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2011, 05:57 AM   #32
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hello CMT!
Congrats on your wedding, and thank you so much for sharing this beautiful presentation and pictures. It was enjoyable reading, and viewing of photos.

By coincidence, I´m wearing today my own 16613, which I bought at beginning of 2010, brand new in the box at a local AD, when I learned that it was discontinued and replaced by the new "Smurf" Ceramic model.
I like the blue dial of the "old" TT model we own, better than the new blue.
I feel this blue dial of 16613 is amazing, with its changing deep cobalt blue playing with the light, and the contrast with the gold bezel rim.
That´s a wonderful watch, and I´m glad you enjoy wearing it too.
Thank you again, and enjoy your watch in good health, for many many years to come.
Best cordial regards, Abel.

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2011, 12:32 AM   #33
CMT
"TRF" Member

Thank you gentlemen. I'm glad this thread has been so well received. I keep trying to get more photos, but everything else I've taken has either not come out to my liking or is ultimately redundant to what's already been posted.

Subexplorer, thank you for your benediction and the sentiment is returned to everyone who has responded to this thread. It has been an amazing past few months leading up to the wedding, the event itself, acquiring the 16613, and basking in its glow of blue and gold during a wonderful honeymoon.

I have not seen the 116613 in person so I cannot comment on the hue of the new model, but it doesn't seem to get great press from those who have reported back so far. Which is fine with me as its $9500 price tag puts it outside of the realm of desirability once into Daytona territory. I do look forward to seeing one in person though, as I have yet to even see the newest iteration of the Submariner and I'm curious about the new maxi case. It seems very substantial and handsome in photos. In the end I am sure I will grow to love it regardless of initial impression as I ultimately do with most new Rolexes introduced.

Thanks again guys!
CMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2011, 07:17 AM   #34
Dr.Velasco
"TRF" Member

Chris, I couldn't agree more with you, the blue 16613 is one of the best (if not the most) great looking watch. It's also been my grail since I was 16....

Probably most of us know the feeling of peecking at our watches while we are driving, shaving, brushing our teeth, etc. It's great.
Dr.Velasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 11:08 PM   #35
SWIMPRUF
"TRF" Member

Great pics.
Old 19 October 2011, 01:02 AM   #36
CMT
"TRF" Member

I finally had the chance to inspect and try on a 116613 at Tourneau in NYC, and given some of the negative reviews of the piece I wasn't anywhere nearly as disgusted with the new ceramic model as I'd expected. In the end I do prefer my 16613 to the new model, which is good because I cannot afford the switch regardless, but the new Submariner has a substance and a presence that, while retaining the classic aesthetic of the Sub, is still larger than that of its predecessor. I did not get a chance to see the piece in natural daylight where I could get a better idea of the nuance of its new blue hue, but I did think that it's a very sharp piece in its own right. Personally I'd still choose the 16613 on the merits of its classic royal blue bezel and dial. I'm just too in love with the color. It may not have the maxi everything of the new Sub, but in two tone I definitely prefer the more elegant aspects of the 16613 case, hands, etc.

New pictures below, I just bought a new lens and wanted to try it out. It's a 14mm "super-wide" so it's hardly optimal for watch shots, but I needed something to shoot and the 16613 is always on hand. Or perhaps "on wrist" is more appropriate.

Old 19 October 2011, 08:07 AM   #37
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Great review, wonderful pictures and a stunner of a watch. I personally love the tone of your dial as some tend to be more blue purpleish. The 'deep royal blue' is what I personally call this dial.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 09:04 AM   #38
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Great pics and of course a great watch man!!! Fantastico!!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 03:32 AM   #39
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I prefer yours to the new one Chris. I too dont think the new blue looks the best on YG or TT. However, the WG Sub is an absolute stunner.
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 07:08 PM   #40
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Chris (CMT) that Sub is an absolute stunner enjoy it good sir! Chris (Zed Homme) what can I say? You truly are the master of enablement! I have been taking notes on how to properly bring in a new timepiece
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2011, 02:32 AM   #41
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I'm still waiting to see what it is Sam. CMT is an old friend of mine (I was the best man at his wedding) and actually enabled me into my first watch, so it is payback time....
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2011, 10:14 AM   #42
CMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
Great review, wonderful pictures and a stunner of a watch. I personally love the tone of your dial as some tend to be more blue purpleish. The 'deep royal blue' is what I personally call this dial.
Thanks Submarino! I honestly couldn't be more happy with its hue. I had no idea that the coloration varied so much between examples and while I haven't researched it, I wonder if it has anything to do with either fading over time or maybe the sun impacting the color? Do you know if the purplish ones come from the factory in that color? I ask only because the more purplish ones I've seen pictured always seem to be the older pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis7777 View Post
Great pics and of course a great watch man!!! Fantastico!!
Thanks Yannis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
I prefer yours to the new one Chris. I too dont think the new blue looks the best on YG or TT. However, the WG Sub is an absolute stunner.
I didn't get a chance to see the WG bad boy in person, just admire it in pics. I was always of the camp that a blue-dialed stainless version would have been a great option, so the silver/blue aesthetic was a shoo-in for awesomeness for me since it was announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
Chris (CMT) that Sub is an absolute stunner enjoy it good sir! Chris (Zed Homme) what can I say? You truly are the master of enablement! I have been taking notes on how to properly bring in a new timepiece
Heh. I've trangressed against him exponentially more than he's been able to revisit upon me. See his watch list? I beam with glowing pride every time another reference is added:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
I'm still waiting to see what it is Sam. CMT is an old friend of mine (I was the best man at his wedding) and actually enabled me into my first watch, so it is payback time....
I still chuckle at the concept of a "spite Rolex."

Thanks for the good press guys!
Old 17 October 2015, 01:28 AM   #43
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
She is a Real Beauty! The pictures are amazing. Anyone would be lucky, No, in a select group to own this piece, of Rolex horlogical history.

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 09:58 PM   #44
Ste_J
"TRF" Member

Great story and great watch. Your amazing pics have bumped this watch into top position for my next purchase!
Ste_J is offline   Reply With Quote