The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 13 September 2018, 07:27 PM   #481
Waddy1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub date.
No news is good news?
Waddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 11:33 PM   #482
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddy1 View Post
No news is good news?
. ..perhaps, but doesn't look/sound too good, since 07/20...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 11:51 PM   #483
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Seller William21 hasn't been seen since 7/4. Odd we haven't heard from either party.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 02:46 PM   #484
Donjo
"TRF" Member

Count me among those who will never ship UPS if I can avoid it. About three years ago I bought some fairly expensive speakers from a Canadian seller (I'm in TX). He arranged and paid for shipping via a UPS retail strip mall store. Had them insured. They arrived very damaged. The process of getting reimbursed by UPS was exceptionally long and painful, made worse since I had to rely on the seller (who paid for the shipping) to act on my behalf. Lessons learned included if you think you may need to make an insurance claim, you ought to be the one paying for the shipping and insurance. The fact that the two parties involved remained involved after the sale speaks favorably of them both. I'm more concerned someone at UPS is responsible. And it wouldn't surprise me for this to take another few weeks to be resolved, but I do think insurance is purchased to pay out for this very situation, and I believe they will ultimately reimburse the shipper.
Donjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 03:55 AM   #485
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjo View Post
I'm more concerned someone at UPS is responsible. .
Investigation is still ongoing. And I think an internal issue is whats prolonging the process. The staff at the UPS Store were well aware of the boxes contents and they would have ample time to swipe the contents before UPS collected. It would be interesting to know if there is CC footage that would support this possibility.
Old 16 September 2018, 04:12 AM   #486
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Investigation is still ongoing. And I think an internal issue is whats prolonging the process. The staff at the UPS Store were well aware of the boxes contents and they would have ample time to swipe the contents before UPS collected. It would be interesting to know if there is CC footage that would support this possibility.

Are you saying you know that the investigation is still ongoing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:27 AM   #487
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Are you saying you know that the investigation is still ongoing?

Yes. The seller brought me up to date. Investigation is probably a better descriptor than issue.
Old 16 September 2018, 05:56 AM   #488
77T

Thanks
It would have been better for him to post that himself IMHO. Not criticizing your post - just better for him to say it.

As for UPS taking this long - I have some disbelief.

Old 16 September 2018, 06:04 AM   #489
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Possibly, but I approached him for an update. He was kind enough to respond which he didn't have to do.

I'm sure we'll get a conclusion at some point.
Old 20 September 2018, 06:54 AM   #490
william21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO 2201.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks
It would have been better for him to post that himself IMHO. Not criticizing your post - just better for him to say it.

As for UPS taking this long - I have some disbelief.

As I mentioned in a previous post months ago, I selected to hold off on additional comments until everything is concluded or resolved. UPS indicated to me in August that they were close to reaching a determination and closing out the claim. I still haven't received final word. Of course I will update this thread once I know more. In the meantime, I'm trying to avoid monitoring the thread as its very upsetting and frustrating.
william21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 11:07 AM   #491
77T

Bought Rolex but received Empty Box--HELP

Will
I know the two threads have become convoluted and understand - the person I was actually referencing was the OP of this thread - helo008. I should have been more clear in my post, sorry.

Wasn’t aimed at you.

Old 25 September 2018, 08:09 AM   #492
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Wow ... what a thread.

A few thing stood out to me:

1. Buyer says he didn't want to do f2f because his car was in the shop that entire week. then he says he had to take someone to the airport the morning the watch was being delivered. he says his round trip from the airport took 1hr 18 min. Assuming he lives in Emeryville, a round trip to SFO is unlikely to happen in that time frame using mass transit. OAK is closer, but still somewhat of a stretch in that time when you're dropping someone off and using public transit.

2. he buys a new watch a couple of days later and posts a picture wearing said new watch in his car, which was reportedly still in the shop due to additional work needed.

obviously, this doesn't prove anything and i am not making accusations, but this is what stood out to me from what OP has posted throughout this thread.

On the seller side, I did not see whether the watch was packaged in front of him while at the UPS store, or whether they took it in the back or to a different counter where it was (even briefly) out of his sight. The fact that the watch was swiped with the cuff suggests this was an opportunistic act executed quickly, if the watch was indeed in the box to begin with.

Also, when an item is shipped through a UPS store, using UPS store postage (i.e. you pay for the postage at the store), the UPS Store location is always used as the return address. The way it was explained to me is that the store collects the postage from the customer, but on the back end the store account is billed by UPS. therefore, the UPS Store is technically the shipper in these cases, hence they are listed as the return address. I had this exact thing happen when i shipped a watch i sold to a buyer while i was traveling for work and it made me ship the watch USPS instead, since it would've been a major hassle for me to retrieve the watch if any issues came up with the buyer accepting the shipment.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 06:54 AM   #493
southtexas

Still no news?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 09:40 AM   #494
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Always go USPS REGISTERED.
Item is signed for at each exchange of hands and is locked in a cage(s) during transit.
Boxes have to be in brown wrapper, sealed on all edges with brown tape, and there are ink-stamps placed all over the box that will show any tampering effort.
REGISTERED is preferred for high-dollar items.
Very difficult for anything to disappear under those restrictive shipping and accountability conditions.
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 10:27 AM   #495
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Still no news?
Small claims case (filed by buyer) hearing this month so there may be a resolution soon.

Stricks me as a little premature when UPS have yet to finalize their investigation
Old 7 October 2018, 11:36 PM   #496
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Small claims case (filed by buyer) hearing this month so there may be a resolution soon.

Stricks me as a little premature when UPS have yet to finalize their investigation
I wouldn't be waiting months or years for the seller to refund. I think both sides agree that something went wrong with the shipper, so waiting indefinitely for the seller to make the buyer whole is unreasonable. Judge Wapner will resolve it, then both parties can move on.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 12:17 AM   #497
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I wouldn't be waiting months or years for the seller to refund. I think both sides agree that something went wrong with the shipper, so waiting indefinitely for the seller to make the buyer whole is unreasonable. Judge Wapner will resolve it, then both parties can move on.
Its a messy situation for sure which lays bare the risks involved when shipping valuable items. I find it hard to believe buyer will have any success based on the info here.
Old 17 October 2018, 11:38 PM   #498
Alex21
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
To Op, i feel sorry for you! Hope you will fix this soon.

Your story inspired me to find a solution for this problem
As first-time seller myself, i figured out about a solution to confort buyer and clear my name from any lost.
The solution will be that I video record with my cellphone the whole transaction at the shipping carrier. This means I will clearly tape the box opened showing the watch inside and the shipping employee holding it before packing it for shipping.
This solution could also discourage any buyer claiming he never got the watch as well+this video could be a proof of claim to shipping carrier for the lost of the package content. So works for every way.

What do you guys think?
Alex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 12:27 AM   #499
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Always go USPS REGISTERED.
Item is signed for at each exchange of hands and is locked in a cage(s) during transit.
Boxes have to be in brown wrapper, sealed on all edges with brown tape, and there are ink-stamps placed all over the box that will show any tampering effort.
REGISTERED is preferred for high-dollar items.
Very difficult for anything to disappear under those restrictive shipping and accountability conditions.

USPS Registered mail is also SLOW! Most sellers/buyers want overnight so people can inspect quickly and move on. I shipped Registered mail to Dallas RSC and it took more than a week to arrive from Denver.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 01:13 AM   #500
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
USPS Registered mail is also SLOW! Most sellers/buyers want overnight so people can inspect quickly and move on. I shipped Registered mail to Dallas RSC and it took more than a week to arrive from Denver.
I've shipped registered in the same state, Georgia....300 miles away. Packages take 5-7 days. Then my customers are calling me wondering where their stuff is. lol. Not my problem. They requested registered.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 03:27 AM   #501
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
I've shipped registered in the same state, Georgia....300 miles away. Packages take 5-7 days. Then my customers are calling me wondering where their stuff is. lol. Not my problem. They requested registered.
Actually, it is the seller problem. The seller needs to insured and make sure it reaches the buyer. If the package is lost, then the buyer has no course of action since it's the seller who ship it.

If you take no responsibility, then you should disclose that information in your for sale ad.

I know I wouldn't buy from a seller who does not insured or take no responsibility if something goes wrong.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 03:39 AM   #502
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
Actually, it is the seller problem. The seller needs to insured and make sure it reaches the buyer. If the package is lost, then the buyer has no course of action since it's the seller who ship it.

If you take no responsibility, then you should disclose that information in your for sale ad.

I know I wouldn't buy from a seller who does not insured or take no responsibility if something goes wrong.

Sorry, I didn't clarify. But, I meant the wait time wasn't my problem.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 05:07 AM   #503
function12
"TRF" Member

Has there been a final outcome of this mystery??
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2018, 05:08 AM   #504
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Was supposed to have gone to Small Claims in October according to the seller
Old 5 November 2018, 10:13 AM   #505
disbthai
"TRF" Member

Yikes makes feel upset to my stomach when I read this kinda story.
disbthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 01:52 PM   #506
MinMay
Banned

There is stress when selling a watch privately...."nothing easy".
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 09:05 PM   #507
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Wow. What a sad story.
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:17 AM   #508
william21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO 2201.50
Here is the latest update. In October, UPS contacted me to inform me that they were processing the claim to cover the missing/stolen watch. They did not share whether they formed a conclusion on what might have exactly happened. Unfortunately, I still had to appear at a small claims court proceeding and I informed the judge of the recent development. The judge agreed to table the matter to allow for the processing of the UPS check. I have since received payment, issued a refund to the buyer, which has been accepted and deposited. He shared that he would be dismissing the suit. Unfortunately, I am still very suspect as to what went down and wish I had done more due diligence and vetting. Needless to say, I learned a lot and am thankful that UPS honored their insurance policy. I appreciate the interest from the TRF community and hope members gleaned some lessons learned for future reference.
william21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:18 AM   #509
Any4xx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william21 View Post
Here is the latest update. In October, UPS contacted me to inform me that they were processing the claim to cover the missing/stolen watch. They did not share whether they formed a conclusion on what might have exactly happened. Unfortunately, I still had to appear at a small claims court proceeding and I informed the judge of the recent development. The judge agreed to table the matter to allow for the processing of the UPS check. I have since received payment, issued a refund to the buyer, which has been accepted and deposited. He shared that he would be dismissing the suit. Unfortunately, I am still very suspect as to what went down and wish I had done more due diligence and vetting. Needless to say, I learned a lot and am thankful that UPS honored their insurance policy. I appreciate the interest from the TRF community and hope members gleaned some lessons learned for future reference.
Tense, but satisfactory ending. Sad that UPS dragged it out for so long though.
Any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:34 AM   #510
shabaang
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by william21 View Post
I didn't read the thread, what are the lessons learned here so that others can be careful?
shabaang is offline   Reply With Quote