The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 October 2018, 04:58 AM   #1
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Experiences over things

I keep on reading that experiences are valued more than items these days by many.

Not to cast too broad of an assumption, but many on TRF are probably in the fortunate enough position to be able to manage both.

That said, I’ve never quite been one who agrees with this. All things being equal, and given the choice between spending money on a holiday/ one off event, or purchasing something which will last a couple of decades then the choice is easily for the item for me.

Perhaps it has more to do with the increasingly disposable nature of society where objects are bought and replaced every couple of years as they break or become obsolete.

Another reason why I value this hobby, the permanence of something with you through thick and thin, for many many years.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:00 AM   #2
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
What’s wrong with experiences WITH things
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:01 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I prefer things. They give me great experiences.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:02 AM   #4
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
What’s wrong with experiences WITH things

Yes indeed ! The best way of course and luckily for many here it’s possible. Hence all the exotic location wrist shots we see

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 22 October 2018, 05:03 AM   #5
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

With you on this one !

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 22 October 2018, 05:04 AM   #6
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Obviously it's a false division, and the saying is really meant to warn against focusing so much on things that you lose out on valuable experiences.

I tend to be very thing-oriented, myself, but every now and then I'll splurge uncharacteristically on an experience, and I always end up thinking it was worth every penny. Stronger relationships and new perspectives come directly from experiences, and those are sorta things in their own way.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:20 AM   #7
Cryten
"TRF" Member

You can't take any of those things with you.

One day when you're old and facing the Grim Reaper, you won't be thinking "I'm so glad I bought that Rolex Daytona" but you might be glad you climbed Machu Picchu before your body gave out.

Climbing Machu Picchu wearing your Rolex Daytona would be the only exception to this .
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:20 AM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
Obviously it's a false division, and the saying is really meant to warn against focusing so much on things that you lose out on valuable experiences.

I tend to be very thing-oriented, myself, but every now and then I'll splurge uncharacteristically on an experience, and I always end up thinking it was worth every penny. Stronger relationships and new perspectives come directly from experiences, and those are sorta things in their own way.

The explanation I read is that for many ‘millennials’ big ticket stuff like a house etc. seem so far out of reach, there is no point in saving for them. Rather spend the money on a weekend away, spa break, nights out...the ROI coming from social media likes.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 22 October 2018, 05:25 AM   #9
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I use to like to travel; however, with all the hassles/inconveniences associated with flying prefer to find my “experience” elsewhere. Truly believe there’s “no place like home”.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:26 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post

Depending on one’s personal thoughts on what comes next, experiences don’t travel across the Styx either. Photos can of course be handed down as treasured belongings though. Makes me think of previous civilisations such as the Vikings, Egyptians etc. who placed a huge emphasis on being laid to rest with their accumulated wealth for the afterlife.

But yes I do 100% agree being somewhere amazing, in good health, with wonderful people and something sublime on ones wrist is as close to perfect as can be.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 22 October 2018, 05:27 AM   #11
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I use to like to travel; however, with all the hassles/inconveniences associated with flying prefer to find my “experience” elsewhere. Truly believe there’s “no place like home”.

Cheers to that !

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 22 October 2018, 05:28 AM   #12
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Cheers to that !
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:48 AM   #13
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...the ROI coming from social media likes.
I think you hit the nail on the head for the millennial generation. Posting instagram photos of their fake life to impress strangers they've never met and never will seems more important than actual life.

In that case I'd take the watch every time......but not to post pictures online in some vacuous attempt to get validation from strangers.
Old 22 October 2018, 05:52 AM   #14
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Depending on one’s personal thoughts on what comes next, experiences don’t travel across the Styx either. Photos can of course be handed down as treasured belongings though. Makes me think of previous civilisations such as the Vikings, Egyptians etc. who placed a huge emphasis on being laid to rest with their accumulated wealth for the afterlife.

But yes I do 100% agree being somewhere amazing, in good health, with wonderful people and something sublime on ones wrist is as close to perfect as can be.
The only things you take with you are your deeds. Good and bad, the scale of eternal justice awaits.

I buy well crafted things that last a really long time. I also do things with great memories. I couldn't care less about likes on social media, but leaving a trail of positive experiences with others is very satisfying.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:52 AM   #15
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head for the millennial generation. Posting instagram photos of their fake life to impress strangers they've never met and never will seems more important than actual life.

In that case I'd take the watch every time......but not to post pictures online in some vacuous attempt to get validation from strangers.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 22 October 2018, 06:50 AM   #16
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Some of each but experiences don’t have to all be extravagant trips. A day trip into the mountains with my wife, or weekend in a cool city, or just a nice dinner in a place we haven’t been too can create great memories and experiences too.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:59 AM   #17
Brew
"TRF" Member

I think this will depend upon your circumstances and your priorities, all of which likely change with time. Ask a kid, and you'll get one answer. Ask a 50+ year old who recently was diagnosed with some sort of nasty or other, and you'll likely find someone with different priorities.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:24 AM   #18
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Experiences fulfill me over many many years, as do the memories they create. Things are usually much more short-term for me - though nothing wrong with them.
Old 22 October 2018, 07:38 AM   #19
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I’ve picked vacations over things pretty often.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:48 AM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

One day when you're old and facing the Grim Reaper, you won't be thinking "I'm so glad I bought that Rolex Daytona" but you might be glad you climbed Machu Picchu before your body gave out.

Climbing Machu Picchu wearing your Rolex Daytona would be the only exception to this .
You can’t take experiences with you either.

When you are done, you are done. You take nothing with you.

Old 22 October 2018, 08:27 AM   #21
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can’t take experiences with you either.

When you are done, you are done. You take nothing with you.
Are you sure about that?

No one knows if we take our experiences with us, but we do know your stuff stays behind (and will likely be sold by ungrateful children)
Old 22 October 2018, 08:48 AM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Are you sure about that?

No one knows if we take our experiences with us, but we do know your stuff stays behind (and will likely be sold by ungrateful children)
Lmao. Good one.

And no, of course I’m not sure.

But I can tell you I don’t even enjoy travel anymore. I very much enjoy being at home. I just got back from paradise in Tulum Mexico. And it was amazing.

After three days, I wanted my routine back.

I get tons of enjoyment out of my watches and cars. Out of my stuff. And we are moving to a new home. I’m quite certain I’ll get tons of enjoyment out of that too.

I’m quite certain that I’ve realized things do make me happier than experiences. Or maybe it’s just the experience I have enjoying my things.

Old 24 October 2018, 05:43 AM   #23
encarter13
"TRF" Member

To put this into context - I am not young, but not old. I am right on the edge of being a Millennial. I had a weekend away with some friends this past weekend. Everyone was between 29-32 years old.

We had this same conversation sitting by the campfire. I had a friend who does really well, yet his wife will not let him buy the $2000 guitar he wants or the $4000 shuffleboard table he would like for his mancave as she sees these things as stuff. She sees the guitar as weekend in Asheville. The $4000 shuffleboard table could be a trip to the beach.

He explained that playing the guitar creates experiences and memories, just like a trip would. However, the trip is over in a few days and the guitar he can play for a lifetime.

Same thing for the shuffleboard....the memories, conversations, good times, etc that he could create with his friends will last him a lifetime.

The conversation then turned to me and my watches. I explained that I get pleasure from wearing a nice watch. It is a experience to wear it, wind it, clean it, etc. More importantly, my watches should last generations. The watches are both stuff/things, but every day wearing one is an experience.

In the end, she doesn't get it.

Personally, I think everyone needs balance. Balance between saving and spending. Balance between stuff and experiences. Balance between work and life.....I strive to ride that fine line, but it is easy to sway one way or the other.

(FYI - I have a second theory that she does get it and is just a selfish person that would rather her husband spend money on taking her places than buy things he wants....)
Old 24 October 2018, 05:48 AM   #24
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Well said by my friend Seth
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 05:52 AM   #25
Daveh3196
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers
I feel pretty lucky in the fact that while my wife also loves travel and life experiences, she is the first one to look at a new car or watch that I am interested in and say “you should get that”. Relationships need a balance and your friends wife doesn’t seem to have reached the point where she can see this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daveh3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 06:15 AM   #26
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
I've come to have a different perspective since I had kids.
Used to cherish things over experiences.
Then I realized after both my parents passed over the course of 5 years that after I came into all their worldly possessions that I paid more attention to all the great memories we shared.
I remember summers at the cottage and the trips we took. I remember all the little things.
So in turn I spend at least a rolex per year going away on vacations as a family. They'll remember the weeks we spent in Florida for Christmas.
They'll remember the weeks in Hilton Head in the summer.
Guess they'll have my wife's and my stuff too including our Rolex watches to remember us by but like me.....I hope they cherish those times.
Memories are the cushions of life as they say.......
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 07:02 AM   #27
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I spend a lot on holidays. Makes me happy.
Old 24 October 2018, 07:11 AM   #28
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Lmao. Good one.

And no, of course I’m not sure.

But I can tell you I don’t even enjoy travel anymore. I very much enjoy being at home. I just got back from paradise in Tulum Mexico. And it was amazing.

After three days, I wanted my routine back.

I get tons of enjoyment out of my watches and cars. Out of my stuff. And we are moving to a new home. I’m quite certain I’ll get tons of enjoyment out of that too.

I’m quite certain that I’ve realized things do make me happier than experiences. Or maybe it’s just the experience I have enjoying my things.
Well get in that new Mercedes and head down to Asheville for a long weekend with us!! You'll love the Blue Ridge parkway in that car. Just remember, it's a federal highway so speeding tickets are federal not state.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 07:15 AM   #29
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
A nice dinner at home and a movie with the wife is a great experience. Still travel more than I want to, but I tend to enjoy my local experiences as much as any.

Some things bring me much enjoyment. Cars being one.

I have friends who try to "buy" experiences just to say they did it. Historically if I fall into that trap, I end up saying wish I would have stayed home....just a homebody I guess.

A couple we hang out with did a jungle trip and got ate alive by insects and ate all kinds of weird ****. Both got sick from the water. They were trying to get us to join them. I was like NO WAY! Not spending 10K to "rough it". Rather buy another watch...
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 08:10 AM   #30
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Experiences >>>> things.

That's my experience, anyway.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote