The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What to get first?
Get the A7 body first 0 0%
Get the 35mm f2.8 lens first 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 February 2018, 04:55 AM   #1
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
Photography Recommendations needed

Hey guys,

I'll keep this one short, or at least I'll try.

So recently I've decided to start a new project, a blog about quality lifestyle (I'll launch it this week and will let you know) from the perspective of someone who appreciates and focuses on simplicity and minimalism. So this project will be very photo heavy and I've decided to step up my photography gear. 35mm is my go to and ideal FL, so no worries about that. Currently I have an A6000 + a 20mm f2.8 pancake lens and it's time to upgrade.

So I want a FF mirrorless with a 35mm lens, easy, Sony A7rII + 35mm f2.8 Zeiss.

But I decided I want to make 1 purchase now and the other later, so which should I get first? The body and use my current lens and then upgrade the lens or get the lens now and upgrade the body?

Thanks!

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 05:16 AM   #2
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Professional photog here. a6000 is plenty for all but a tiny handful of photographers. That you think you need FF A7 mirrorless when you have an excellent mirrorless already speaks to the power of marketing. I've made $$ using the Sony APS-C body. Why do you think you need an A7?
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 05:35 AM   #3
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdc View Post
Professional photog here. a6000 is plenty for all but a tiny handful of photographers. That you think you need FF A7 mirrorless when you have an excellent mirrorless already speaks to the power of marketing. I've made $$ using the Sony APS-C body. Why do you think you need an A7?
I know the a6000 is a great capable camera and I've considered adding a 24mm f1.8 Zeiss ($USD1000), but I feel in the long term is best to invest in a system that would hold better than a6000. A7 provides great quality and a very discrete and compact setup, which I would need for traveling and moving around, I'll be doing some street photography, I thought of the Ricoh GR and Fuji X100F which nail the street photos but they kind of lack on the Product photography department, such as watches, pens, etc. I feel the A7 is the correct move for the long term.

Last edited by dr35mm; 20 February 2018 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 20 February 2018, 05:36 AM   #4
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Sounds like a fun project. Might be a dumb question but do you need FF resolution for a blog?

I'm a big fan of the A7RIII but IMO it would be overkill for a blog. If FF35mm equivalent is your sweet spot an X100F or T would be a nice compact solution.

I'm looking forward to your blog whichever way you choose. GL!
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 05:48 AM   #5
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post
Sounds like a fun project. Might be a dumb question but do you need FF resolution for a blog?

I'm a big fan of the A7RIII but IMO it would be overkill for a blog. If FF35mm equivalent is your sweet spot an X100F or T would be a nice compact solution.

I'm looking forward to your blog whichever way you choose. GL!
Thanks for the input, Im going FF because I feel it's the best move for the future, instead of investing money on a system that won't age as good.

Regarding the Fuji, I did consider it but I'm also interested in shooting products, like watches, cars, food, etc and it lacks a bit usage in this department, if not, I would go Fuji x100F no doubt about it.

Old 20 February 2018, 05:55 AM   #6
lig
"TRF" Member

Makes sense to me. If product photography is going to be a focus (sorry :D ) then an ILC would be a better choice. I wouldn't discount the current generation of APS-C cameras though. I'm all in on the Fuji system and have no regrets. Just about to flip one of my X-Pro2s for an X-H1.

The lens selection in just a few short years is fantastic.

If money is an object getting the good stuff for a Sony FF lens like the GM series is going to be spendy and in most cases have a real world size penalty vs. a crop sensor.
Old 20 February 2018, 06:14 AM   #7
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Makes sense to me. If product photography is going to be a focus (sorry :D ) then an ILC would be a better choice. I wouldn't discount the current generation of APS-C cameras though. I'm all in on the Fuji system and have no regrets. Just about to flip one of my X-Pro2s for an X-H1.

The lens selection in just a few short years is fantastic.

If money is an object getting the good stuff for a Sony FF lens like the GM series is going to be spendy and in most cases have a real world size penalty vs. a crop sensor.
Although now that you mentioned the X100F, I think I discarded that camera pretty fast. I've heard wonders about it. Because at the end of the day, I'm only interested in 35mm not having an arsenal of lenses.

Truth is my ideal camera would be the RX1R II or a Leica Q, but as of now, I can't justify the prices.

Fuji is a great system.

Old 20 February 2018, 06:16 AM   #8
ecdc
"TRF" Member

If it's a business, get the least expensive product that will hit your $$ targets, so you maximize profits. I have been published all over the world with Sony APS-C body images. No one can tell the difference between it and an A7 at anything smaller than movie poster size. If you're starting a hobby and just want an A7, then by all means, go for it and enjoy! But the A6000 is a versatile, strong camera. In all honesty, you're throwing money away if you get an A7 instead. Especially for web pictures.
I'd say learn lighting and set-up with your a6000 before you spend money on a new camera system. It'll make more of a difference.
But regardless, good luck on the new venture. I hope it brings you joy and (if it's more than a hobby) profit, too.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 06:45 AM   #9
run23
"TRF" Member

Photography Recommendations needed

Don’t necessarily discount APS-C sensors as you can get pro level (whatever that means) quality out of them. A good friend of mine just did a shoot for Food and Wine Magazine and the majority of the published shots were done with the A6000 and (I think) a Zeiss 1.8 32mm, which is a lens you can get for around $700.

Personally I’d go with the lens first.

But it sounds like you really want full frame. You need to enjoy your equipment so nothing wrong with that, just don’t put too much stock in gear improving your shots. We live in a golden age of camera gear where even an iPhone can get you fanrastic quality in good light. I have a Canon 5D and Leica M with (among other lenses) a 50mm Summilux (my favorite lens ever), and some of my favorite shots are still from an iPhone and the original Fuji x100 from like 2010/2011. In general the minute differences in gear are overrated— just make sure you have the right tool for the job.

Looking forward to seeing the blog. Post a link when you’re up and running!
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 07:34 AM   #10
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
Don’t necessarily discount APS-C sensors as you can get pro level (whatever that means) quality out of them. A good friend of mine just did a shoot for Food and Wine Magazine and the majority of the published shots were done with the A6000 and (I think) a Zeiss 1.8 32mm, which is a lens you can get for around $700.

Personally I’d go with the lens first.

But it sounds like you really want full frame. You need to enjoy your equipment so nothing wrong with that, just don’t put too much stock in gear improving your shots. We live in a golden age of camera gear where even an iPhone can get you fanrastic quality in good light. I have a Canon 5D and Leica M with (among other lenses) a 50mm Summilux (my favorite lens ever), and some of my favorite shots are still from an iPhone and the original Fuji x100 from like 2010/2011. In general the minute differences in gear are overrated— just make sure you have the right tool for the job.

Looking forward to seeing the blog. Post a link when you’re up and running!

Thanks for the valuable insights! I agree, gear is just part of the equation.

I'll do my first post this week which btw is related to watches.

Old 20 February 2018, 08:05 AM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

As an aside, the Leica Q can be had pre-owned for a thousand less than msrp (if that gets closer to your budget cap). Selling your existing gear could even get you closer to your ideal choice.

Whether FF or crop, it is the lens, plus the nut behind the lens, that makes the shot remarkable.

So...to be budget friendly I’d say the lens for the A6000 for now.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 08:15 AM   #12
lig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
Although now that you mentioned the X100F, I think I discarded that camera pretty fast. I've heard wonders about it. Because at the end of the day, I'm only interested in 35mm not having an arsenal of lenses.

Truth is my ideal camera would be the RX1R II or a Leica Q, but as of now, I can't justify the prices.

Fuji is a great system.
The Q is indeed lustworthy. Never shot the RX1 or R If the Q were a 35mm and not a 28 I might not be able to resist but I honestly like the Fuji JPEGs better.

RAW of course is a different story from the Leica but I don’t feel the need to go beyond JPEGs very often anymore with the Fujis.
Old 20 February 2018, 08:27 AM   #13
run23
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'll do my first post this week which btw is related to watches.

Awesome!
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 03:56 PM   #14
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Sony A7 is an amazing choice. Body first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 02:40 AM   #15
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quick change of plans.

After much thinking last night, I decided to go with the Fuji X100F. The main reasons are:

1) Great size for traveling and moving around
2) Great lens and sensor, makes no real sense to purchase an A7 just to own 1 lens.
3) Better Ergonomics, Viewfinder is brilliant and I enjoy the Leica Like Controls (Aperture and Shutter Speed).

Thank you everyone for the valuable inputs!

Old 21 February 2018, 02:45 AM   #16
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quick change of plans.

After much thinking last night, I decided to go with the Fuji X100F. The main reasons are:

2) Great lens and sensor, makes no real sense to purchase an A7 just to own 1 lens.
3) Better Ergonomics, Viewfinder is brilliant and I enjoy the Leica Like Controls (Aperture and Shutter Speed).

Before you buy, check out images captured on the RX1 cameras. Much more modern sensor in vII, but same lens across the range. It's one of the best all-rounder 35mm lenses ever made in my opinion. Similar sharpness to the Sony 35/2.8 lens, but much nicer out of focus rendering and transitions from in focus to out of focus. Images just pop and appear so natural. You can get a used original RX1 for under $1000 easily. The lens on the Fuji X100 is unchanged for years and in my opinion it's weakest asset. The rendering isn't particularly special. From an ergonomic and control standpoint, however, the X100F is better than the Sony RX1 cameras. Good luck with whatever you get.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 02:55 AM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Quick change of plans.

Congrats on the new camera; surprised me going from a FF multilens choice to a fixed lens one. Good luck with the blog!!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 03:02 AM   #18
lig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quick change of plans.

Congratulations! The macro isn’t as bad as it is made out to be. You’ll need to stop down a bit b it it’ll be fine.

People literally will ask you if you are shooting film and are waaaay more likely to pose for you with the X100vs. an ILC.

Built in flash, leaf shutter, respectable high ISO performance, wide and tele converters that do not degrade IQ, nice direct controls, decent camera remote app and OVF/EVF - you are going to love it.

Yah... I’m a fanboi.
Old 21 February 2018, 03:06 AM   #19
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congratulations! The macro isn’t as bad as it is made out to be. You’ll need to stop down a bit b it it’ll be fine.

People literally will ask you if you are shooting film and are waaaay more likely to pose for you with the X100vs. an ILC.

Built in flash, leaf shutter, respectable high ISO performance, wide and tele converters that do not degrade IQ, nice direct controls, decent camera remote app and OVF/EVF - you are going to love it.

Yah... I’m a fanboi.
I can tell!

I've heard nothing but wonders about that camera, can't wait to get my hands on the all black and take it to an upcoming trip to Hong Kong and Beijing. I think it's the perfect choice for moving around light.

Old 21 February 2018, 03:06 AM   #20
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Before you buy, check out images captured on the RX1 cameras. Much more modern sensor in vII, but same lens across the range. It's one of the best all-rounder 35mm lenses ever made in my opinion. Similar sharpness to the Sony 35/2.8 lens, but much nicer out of focus rendering and transitions from in focus to out of focus. Images just pop and appear so natural. You can get a used original RX1 for under $1000 easily. The lens on the Fuji X100 is unchanged for years and in my opinion it's weakest asset. The rendering isn't particularly special. From an ergonomic and control standpoint, however, the X100F is better than the Sony RX1 cameras. Good luck with whatever you get.
Thanks!

Old 21 February 2018, 03:07 AM   #21
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Congrats on the new camera; surprised me going from a FF multilens choice to a fixed lens one. Good luck with the blog!!!!
Thanks!

Truth is I'm better off with a fixed camera than owning a ILC with only one lens.