The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2018, 03:44 AM   #1
nfld
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Aqua Terra
2016 Aqua Terra...purchase help pls

Hi all...I'd appreciate some feedback. I was in to a local watch AD, they sell Rolex and Omega. They have a 2016 Aqua Terra in 41.5 and 38.5 and they have been sitting there, in the display case, for a nice while now. I have been looking at getting a Rolex's but I was wondering if I decided to buy the 2016 Aqua Terra , as I do like it's look, what do you think would be a reasonable discount on a watch like this that has been sitting in the display case for over a year?

Actauuly the AD rep seemed to indicate, in our chat, that the Omega's were moving very slowly!

Thanks for all replies
nfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 03:52 AM   #2
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
My guess ... Boutiques won't go over 15% discount since that is the manufacturer authorized discount (or so they say). Save a bunch of money and sales tax and buy used or Jomashop .. I was looking at a Planet Ocean at a Omega store ... $8200 ... In stock on Jomashop for $5195 ... no tax .. free ship.
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 06:37 AM   #3
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfld View Post
Hi all...I'd appreciate some feedback. I was in to a local watch AD, they sell Rolex and Omega. They have a 2016 Aqua Terra in 41.5 and 38.5 and they have been sitting there, in the display case, for a nice while now. I have been looking at getting a Rolex's but I was wondering if I decided to buy the 2016 Aqua Terra , as I do like it's look, what do you think would be a reasonable discount on a watch like this that has been sitting in the display case for over a year?

Actauuly the AD rep seemed to indicate, in our chat, that the Omega's were moving very slowly!

Thanks for all replies
Perhaps check out the on-line sellers. That will at least give you a benchmark to aim at, then figure whether buying from an AD is worth a premium to you and how much.

That model is superseded, but a lot of folk prefer it to the 2017 version (me included) so I don't know if there's any room to negotiate on that basis. I'd guess that quite a lot of watches of the more expensive brands sit around for quite a while, either on display or in store.

It's a very nice watch - I have the 38.5mm version and it gets a lot more wear than my Explorer 1. The date change is a bit of a pain though (although it's a good trade-off if you change timezones a lot).

Performance-wise, both on the wrist and looked at on a timing machine, there's nothing to choose. Both are within COSC standards by a large margin and within their respective manufacturer claims.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 07:59 AM   #4
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
You should be able to get 20% off with a cash deal for one of those watches. The 8500 movement is a very good movement. You’ll be happy if you purchase one. You may find a good deal on one online as well.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 12:21 AM   #5
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I can get 20% at my AD no problem.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 01:12 AM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I would seek at least 20% off, and I would begin by seeking to purchase at 30% off. In early 2015 I purchased an Aqua Terra and a Speedmaster Pro at the same time from a dealer in the US who discounted both watches 25%.

The Aqua Terra is a fantastic watch that offers excellent value for the dollar. The in-house Caliber 8500/8900 movement is super-precise and stable. The watch is strikingly handsome and versatile.

I enjoy mine quite a lot!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 11:51 AM   #7
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Great watch. Got a 38.5 8500 movement for a steal - around 2700 on grey market (old version). Got 2k for it when I sold it. No matter the discount for AD, you’ll take a solid loss if you decide to flip for the Rolex one day. For Omega I go grey market or forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote