The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 February 2018, 02:03 PM   #1
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Hong Kong AP lounge

After all this talk of AP’s new distribution model, i suppose it should have come as no surprise to receive this note from AP today.

Has anybody been to the lounge yet? And, if so, what was the experience like?

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Check it out and let us know
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 12:29 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The one here ain't no great shakes so keep your expectations low, but maybe a custom built one will be better.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 12:31 AM   #4
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Didn't they already have a boutique at IFC?
Old 15 February 2018, 01:44 AM   #5
multimedia
"TRF" Member

21F at H Queen's? Hmmm, well at least it will only be "us" the locals who will go there... Joke a side, why on earth would they chose to put it up there? Sure, it's a nice building, with all its art galleries, etc. But it's not like many visitors to HK will know about this place/stroll in there.

Or am I missing something? Is this a permanent address for them now, or just something they'll have there short term?

I visited the boutique on Queens/Pedder earlier today. Also walked by the one in IFC. As usual, not many (if any) people in there...

Cheers,
Joe
Old 15 February 2018, 10:17 AM   #6
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
It is very nice indeed and a great spot for a small dinner and cocktail party. I like the concept and the whole point is that you don’t get walk in traffic. Formal launch party on 26th I think although sadly I am travelling at the time.
Old 15 February 2018, 03:00 PM   #7
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
Check it out and let us know
I managed to do so

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The one here ain't no great shakes so keep your expectations low, but maybe a custom built one will be better.
Based on what has been written here about the one in London, the HK Lounge is far better executed.

I agree with Roger - it is very nice. And i now get the role that Lounges can play in the objective of AP engaging more directly with its customers as it will allow for various private events to be arranged with a minimum of fuss - from very private dinners to cocktail events for maybe 40 people at a time.

In summary, it is a destination, not a space you would stumble upon. It provides a pleasant, private, comfortable environment to view a piece and will I expect be extensively used for private events.

The space is around 3000 sq ft with a ~12 person dining table and a large sofa / seating area. There is plenty of space for a cocktail event. The decor is understated and elegant and the space itself is lovely with high (~10ft) ceilings and a nice small balcony area.

Interestingly, there is only 1 main display case which had maybe 6 pieces on display - plus a couple of other automated display units with pieces on rotation, but these where not for trying on.
Old 15 February 2018, 03:14 PM   #8
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
In summary, it is a destination, not a space you would stumble upon. It provides a pleasant, private, comfortable environment to view a piece and will I expect be extensively used for private events.

The space is around 3000 sq ft with a ~12 person dining table and a large sofa / seating area. There is plenty of space for a cocktail event. The decor is understated and elegant and the space itself is lovely with high (~10ft) ceilings and a nice small balcony area.
Thank you very much for sharing. I will definitely try to go and check it out as well.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 15 February 2018, 03:17 PM   #9
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Thank you very much for sharing. I will definitely try to go and check it out as well.

Cheers,
Joe
Well worth doing so...just don’t expect to see many watches!
Old 15 February 2018, 07:36 PM   #10
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
I managed to do so

Based on what has been written here about the one in London, the HK Lounge is far better executed.

I agree with Roger - it is very nice. And i now get the role that Lounges can play in the objective of AP engaging more directly with its customers as it will allow for various private events to be arranged with a minimum of fuss - from very private dinners to cocktail events for maybe 40 people at a time.

Interestingly, there is only 1 main display case which had maybe 6 pieces on display - plus a couple of other automated display units with pieces on rotation, but these where not for trying on.
That sounds amazing!

The entire London space is bigger than most will think, so if it is done well it could be good. That said I don't like the building its in, but there we go.

I know others disagree but I'm all for the lounge idea, as I would 100% much prefer to go into a more private and exclusive environment than to some high street outlet, with tyre kickers coming in and out. I don't mean to sound snobby but that doesn't add to the buying experience at all, not in the AP world.

I find it hard to believe that given the lounge is well executed owners of APs would not prefer it. I get the argument that fewer people will 'discover' the brand by not chancing upon it, but really doubt that would play much of a role in the brand's fortunes. AP aren't dumb and would've taken this into account and no doubt have other publicity elements up their sleeve.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 01:55 AM   #11
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
That sounds amazing!

The entire London space is bigger than most will think, so if it is done well it could be good. That said I don't like the building its in, but there we go.

I know others disagree but I'm all for the lounge idea, as I would 100% much prefer to go into a more private and exclusive environment than to some high street outlet, with tyre kickers coming in and out. I don't mean to sound snobby but that doesn't add to the buying experience at all, not in the AP world.

I find it hard to believe that given the lounge is well executed owners of APs would not prefer it. I get the argument that fewer people will 'discover' the brand by not chancing upon it, but really doubt that would play much of a role in the brand's fortunes. AP aren't dumb and would've taken this into account and no doubt have other publicity elements up their sleeve.
...just don’t expect to see many watches when you are there! (Though I’d hope that changes)

But as a place to hang out after you “got the call” for a piece you had been waiting for, it would be great. And I’m sure that those who spring for a couple of LE tourbs each year will have some fabulous dinners there.

It’s a great space and, given that amount of rent most brands waste for empty, under-stocked prime retail space, I actually think that AP is ahead of the curve with this concept and will end up creating a more engaging customer experience for less money.
Old 16 February 2018, 03:18 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Sounds very good, I thought a properly built one would be a sky lounge/Leonardo's yacht in the air, with cocktails on tap and a jacuzzi area and a mahogany poker table and a... I should really be designing this thing.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote