The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 14 February 2018, 03:41 PM   #1
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Does anybody knows how long was the PAM233 Dot produced before the AM/PM dial?

Does anybody knows how long was the PAM233 Dot produced before the AM/PM dial came out? And why did Panerai changed the design?
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 07:42 AM   #2
UTL1098
"TRF" Member

The 233 dot dial was introduced in 2006 as an "I" series through 2008 "K" series. Some argue that the dot dial was changed to the am/pm indicator midway through the 2009 "L" series, but I haven't seen one.

Not certain as to the reason for the change, but I know the early dot dials had issues with the power reserve indicator. Apparently, the opening for the "fang" indicator was too narrow and if fully wound, the fang would get stuck in the "full" position. So Panerai widened the opening to extend beyond the markers.
UTL1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:20 AM   #3
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTL1098 View Post
The 233 dot dial was introduced in 2006 as an "I" series through 2008 "K" series. Some argue that the dot dial was changed to the am/pm indicator midway through the 2009 "L" series, but I haven't seen one.

Not certain as to the reason for the change, but I know the early dot dials had issues with the power reserve indicator. Apparently, the opening for the "fang" indicator was too narrow and if fully wound, the fang would get stuck in the "full" position. So Panerai widened the opening to extend beyond the markers.
Thanks for the info. I own a dot and was wondering...as the dot was the primary factor for my purchase. I never understood the am-pm design switch...
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 04:11 PM   #4
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
I also have the dot, and it's been back for repairs in its early days due to similar reasons I suspect. Panerai did not not admit anything, but fixed it for free.

I have realised through this and my Tudor Heritahe Chrono, do not be an early adopter of new movements. It was a K series.

Runs well now.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote