The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 February 2018, 05:29 AM   #1
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Followilng NigelUK’s lead... New to Me!

Hello Forum Members!

Just bought my very first Panerai (PAM00512) and received delivery this past Tuesday. Absolutely in love with the watch for all the reasons Nigel UK has written in his posts. I’ve included a few pictures below.

Being new to Panerai, I was wondering if forum members could help me out with answers a few questions...

1) I have the original box, manuals, hang tags, and warrantee form with the watch which was purchased in January 2016 here in the US. What I find curious is that the watch is a early Q series example (<100 out of 2000) and has a rubber strap and deployment buckle. Does anyone know if the rubber strap is the original that came with the 512? I looked on the Panerai site and they do not sell this strap for the 1940 Radimir nor have I seen any pcitures I have seen so far.

2) Another curious item is the deployment buckle. Per the serial number and the Panerai labeling, it looks like a factory item to me. Has anyone seen this deployment buckle before?

mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 09:25 PM   #2
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Hey sorry my friend, I've only just noticed your post ... the photos don't work so can't comment unfortunately. Photobucket is basically out of action. Upload direct but re-size your photos to something like 800x600

With regards to your questions . .

* As far as I am aware the 512 only ever came with the black croc strap with white stitch. It's not unusual for some people to prefer a deployant style clasp as opposed to buckle, and seek out genuine OEM strap and deployant to suit. I believe there are 22mm deployant clasp and OEM rubber straps available used but quite rare. Not sure Panerai currently manufacture them ?

* You really need to get the photos working !

Hopefully you have purchased this Panerai from a reputable dealer of trusted seller and you should have no problems. I would just look to source a genuine 20mm Tang buckle and OEM strap.
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 06:21 AM   #3
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
Hey sorry my friend, I've only just noticed your post ... the photos don't work so can't comment unfortunately. Photobucket is basically out of action. Upload direct but re-size your photos to something like 800x600

With regards to your questions . .

* As far as I am aware the 512 only ever came with the black croc strap with white stitch. It's not unusual for some people to prefer a deployant style clasp as opposed to buckle, and seek out genuine OEM strap and deployant to suit. I believe there are 22mm deployant clasp and OEM rubber straps available used but quite rare. Not sure Panerai currently manufacture them ?

* You really need to get the photos working !

Hopefully you have purchased this Panerai from a reputable dealer of trusted seller and you should have no problems. I would just look to source a genuine 20mm Tang buckle and OEM strap.
Thank you for the response! I just finished reading about Photobucket and they sure pissed off the user community!

I purchased the 512 from a VERY reputable dealer here in the US. The best I can tell is that the strap and deployment buckle are original Panerai, but you guys can take a look at tell me what you think.

It did take a bit to get the pictures working but here they are...

Old 12 February 2018, 06:30 AM   #4
nick c
Banned

Beauty congrats
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 06:35 AM   #5
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Beauty congrats
Thanks Nick! First one and I have been wearing it since last Tuesday.
Old 12 February 2018, 06:39 AM   #6
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Markings on Buckle...

The quality on the buckle is outstanding... hard to believe it is not from Panerai but have not seen this one anywhere. The watch itself states it is among the first 75 mode so an early example of a 512.

Old 12 February 2018, 08:23 AM   #7
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Looks great
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 09:12 AM   #8
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy91 View Post
Looks great
Thank Tommy! Appreciate it
Old 13 February 2018, 03:09 AM   #9
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I think that deployant is a reference : PAV00632

Someone has paid big bucks to for that deployant & rubber. Maybe £400 sterling !!

It' difficult to be 100% conclusive, but I agree with you, it certainly looks good to me. The rubber looks fine too. Normally the rubber keeper has rough edges due to poor manufacture and you will find fake ones pick up lots of bits of fluff but can see in the photos yours hasn't.

I'm sure it's all ok and you purchased from reputable dealer, so just enjoy it. Looks great !
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:48 AM   #10
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
I think that deployant is a reference : PAV00632

Someone has paid big bucks to for that deployant & rubber. Maybe £400 sterling !!

It' difficult to be 100% conclusive, but I agree with you, it certainly looks good to me. The rubber looks fine too. Normally the rubber keeper has rough edges due to poor manufacture and you will find fake ones pick up lots of bits of fluff but can see in the photos yours hasn't.

I'm sure it's all ok and you purchased from reputable dealer, so just enjoy it. Looks great !
Nigel, thank you for the information. Very interesting...I took a look at the reference and the deployment buckle does look different unless the one I have is an early example. I've been looking for a 512 for a long time and this was the only example where I have found this configuration. I'm really wondering if it came that way from the factory; otherwise, I think you are spot on with someone paying some serious money for that setup. No matter, I really like the setup and will keep it as is until I get the urge for a leather strap.

Anyway, loving my purchase and thank you for the well wishes!
Old 15 February 2018, 07:14 PM   #11
Marba
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515
That’s the watchbox item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 09:58 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others