The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 31 January 2018, 10:55 PM   #1
glimmer
Banned

Lange 1 WG or JLC MUT Perpetual SS?

Hi,

I am thinking about getting either of these two watches. Love the JLC Perpetual, specifically the black dial version, but have been recently intrigued by Lange, in particular the Lange 1 either in blue or silver dial in white gold. Difference in price would probably be around 6.5-7k (Pre-Owned) with the Lange being a bit more expensive.

Part of me wants to try out a Perpetual, but at the same time, the beautiful dial design of the Lange 1 is hypnotizing.

Photos below (not mine, borrowed from the web):

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 11:12 PM   #2
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

Jlc really doesn’t do it for me. The downside of lange is that they’re richemont but going jlc is even worse in that regard.

I have a lange 1 and really enjoy it, even though I don’t wear it as much as I should.

rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 11:47 PM   #3
glimmer
Banned

Lange 1 WG or JLC MUT Perpetual SS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfatm3f View Post
Jlc really doesn’t do it for me. The downside of lange is that they’re richemont but going jlc is even worse in that regard.

I have a lange 1 and really enjoy it, even though I don’t wear it as much as I should.

Thanks...nice photo. How does 38.5mm wear on your wrist?

Am also on the fence about WG or YG. I fear the YG may be too flashy for my tastes, but it seems more subdued with the Langes.

Old 1 February 2018, 12:43 AM   #4
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

Mine is rose gold, which I think lange does very tastefully. I have no complaints about the size or fit.

I’d probably get a white metal if I didn’t buy the rose.
Old 1 February 2018, 12:54 AM   #5
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
No wrong choice here.
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 01:30 AM   #6
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
I was really in love with the grand Lange till it was on my hand and just felt too small for me.... But I still love the design especially in rose gold... If you want a perpetual.... For me there is only one.... IWC portugieser perpetual calendar:)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 02:42 AM   #7
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

lange for me. i love reversos, but dont feel much of anything for JLCs other watches
mps354 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 04:14 AM   #8
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
I'd go Lange, between the two. Lange 1 is gorgeous.

I think JLC makes some very nice watches in the 5-12K range that provide good value (relative to ALS). Once I get above that range, I'd rather stretch for a PP/ALS.

If you're considering a Reverso or MUT Moon, and pocketing the difference, that's a more compelling JLC argument for me.
Peterandwatches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 04:50 AM   #9
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
The JLC is a great value in a PC, and I really admire their history. ALS is a much higher quality manufacturer, their movements and finishing are impeccable, the L1 is iconic. Between these two, it’s no contest unless you are lusting for a perpetual calendar and can’t afford one another way. I vote Lange 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 05:57 AM   #10
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Lange no question (for me). Also, perpetuals can be a pain in the ass if not worn regularly or kept on a winder.

If you are unsure on the metal then go WG.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 06:26 AM   #11
glimmer
Banned

Thank you everyone...

Old 1 February 2018, 09:44 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
That JLC PC is very impressive and beautifully executed, but the Lange is just dreamy... head v heart for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 09:53 AM   #13
jpwv
Banned

Perpetuals are fascinating to me, but as one poster said would be a pain in the ass if not worn regularly. I am loving blue dials right now so I would go with the Lange. Others may be able to opine, but I wonder what the staying power of a blue dial will be. I am in the market for a Big Pilot and love the Le Petit Prince, but in the back of my mind I wonder if I will regret a big purchase with a blue dial instead of something more "standard." If that is not a concern for you then I would go Lange blue. The blue against the black strap is so sexy!
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:16 AM   #14
glimmer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv View Post
Perpetuals are fascinating to me, but as one poster said would be a pain in the ass if not worn regularly. I am loving blue dials right now so I would go with the Lange. Others may be able to opine, but I wonder what the staying power of a blue dial will be. I am in the market for a Big Pilot and love the Le Petit Prince, but in the back of my mind I wonder if I will regret a big purchase with a blue dial instead of something more "standard." If that is not a concern for you then I would go Lange blue. The blue against the black strap is so sexy!
What I like about the JLC PC is that you can simply advance the date, days and month by a single button. That being said, I'm not sure if I really have a use for a PC other than to marvel at the dial....same thing with the ALS, it's the dial that really captivates me. I hope there are still some Lange 1 blue dials out there, my second choice would probably be the silver or slate grey dials.

Thanks....
Old 1 February 2018, 10:17 AM   #15
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Lange no question
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:18 AM   #16
glimmer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That JLC PC is very impressive and beautifully executed, but the Lange is just dreamy... head v heart for me.
I feel I am in the same opinion...the JLC is more of a "cerebral" choice, if that makes sense, while the Lange really just captivates.
Old 1 February 2018, 10:22 AM   #17
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The JLC perp for me, beautiful watch
Old 1 February 2018, 10:29 AM   #18
glimmer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfatm3f View Post
Mine is rose gold, which I think lange does very tastefully. I have no complaints about the size or fit.

I’d probably get a white metal if I didn’t buy the rose.
Thanks!
Old 1 February 2018, 10:52 AM   #19
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Silver/white dials from ALS are equally awesome. It won’t be a poor substitute if you can’t find a blue.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 11:08 AM   #20
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Lange 1

Do not have one, but always a favorite of mine.

If you do not wear the perpetual every day, how much time would you have to put into resetting it!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 11:32 AM   #21
macct
"TRF" Member

They are both nice watches and it is all about preference. The Lange 1 is iconic, and the one watch most associated with the brand. IMO, it is relatively small and sits high on the wrist relative to its diameter. The quality is evident and clearly above the JLC. The JLC is also exceptional, being a great value for the complication. It is easy to set and easy to wear. It is light and thin and you can literally forget you are wearing a watch. The MUT case style is also my favorite from JLC and reminds me of Patek case. The main negative is the date can be hard to read, depending on your age and eyes. I personally would opt for the JLC over the Lange 1. While the Lange 1 is iconic, I rather have something from Lange's 1815 series (like the 1815 Annual calendar) versus a Lange 1.
macct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 04:15 AM   #22
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
If you are the kind of guy who thinks to himself 'why bother going to Harvard when Florida State has the exact same books?' then get a JLC.

If you are the kind of guy who tries to get laid by making "friends" with girls (hoping one day they will see his noble and true inner self) rather than just being honest about your intentions and being courageous in your pursuit at the outset, then get a JLC.

If you are the kind of guy who played dungeons and dragons as a kid... or perhaps you still do... then get a JLC.

Otherwise, I think the choice is pretty clear.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 04:38 AM   #23
Soleless Shoes
"TRF" Member

I have 2 ALS pieces and very much really like both. That said, I really like that JLC and of the 2 pieces in the photos, I prefer the JLC.
Soleless Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 05:29 AM   #24
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I really like JLC's MUT perpetual (esp. the WG version) but I prefer the Lange 1.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 05:59 AM   #25
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I’d pick Lange 1, I find that JLC too thin and it’s crown way too small. Though it is half the price of the Lange
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 06:54 AM   #26
glimmer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
If you are the kind of guy who thinks to himself 'why bother going to Harvard when Florida State has the exact same books?' then get a JLC.

If you are the kind of guy who tries to get laid by making "friends" with girls (hoping one day they will see his noble and true inner self) rather than just being honest about your intentions and being courageous in your pursuit at the outset, then get a JLC.

If you are the kind of guy who played dungeons and dragons as a kid... or perhaps you still do... then get a JLC.

!!!
Old 2 February 2018, 07:58 AM   #27
Corey986
"TRF" Member

Honestly, I'm a JLC guy, but unless you are looking at a Jaeger Duometre or are a big Doctor Strange fan who must have a JLC perpetual, get the Lange.
Corey986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 09:53 AM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post

When therapy creeps into your watch hobby...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 10:08 AM   #29
glimmer
Banned

Update: I decided with the Lange 1 ref. 101.027. Should be arriving next week. Thank you everyone for all your thoughts. Here is a photo from the seller:

Old 4 February 2018, 10:24 AM   #30
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

Congrats!