The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 13 February 2018, 08:24 AM   #1
Corey986
"TRF" Member

So I just checked out a Grand Seiko for the 1st time in person.

I have to say the spring drive is mesmerizing. They didn’t have the snowflake in but I tried on the same watch with a different dial.

My impressions on quality... it is not as good as some people say. Maybe I’m spoiled that my only stainless steel watch bands are on my Nautilus and Milgauss but, the band and clasp felt a little too cheap.

However the hands seemed as good in quality as my patek or JLC to the naked eye. Maybe under a loupe you’d see the difference easily. Then again this watch cost a lot less than both so it’s like comparing a Volkswagen Jetta to a Mercedes E class and saying the leather steering wheel on the Jetta seems as good as the Mercedes one, both are nice leather with chrome and switches.

Anyway this has not turned me off of considering a snowflake when they get one in. I’m just making my comments because there are people here who keep saying that if a Grand Seiko didn’t say Seiko it would sell for a similar amount of a Patek. Sorry but it won’t, but it’s still an awesome value for a quality watch.

Cheers,
Corey
Corey986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:41 AM   #2
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve always felt the clasps where the weak part of GS

The bulkiness and Rachet on the diver is weak. And the one you refer to on the snowflake, I have same view as you
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:42 AM   #3
christo4
"TRF" Member

It was a Grand Seiko diver (SBGA 029?) that got me infected with the watch-bug in 2013 and I loved it. I was passionately a believer in the miracle precision of Spring Drive and the distinction between (inexpensive) quartz and quartz regulation/"braking" (as I recall).

Just be aware that I could not find ANYBODY in the US who would/could service it, except for maybe swapping the bezel. Even then, as I recall, Seiko was not keen on making the parts available. Maybe I was not fully informed. Maybe there is support out there thru this forum. Anyway, I would maybe consider a more traditional "HI-BEAT" ...in the hopes that a good independent watchmaker could service (much more of) it.

Good Luck!
christo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:44 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey986 View Post
I have to say the spring drive is mesmerizing. They didn’t have the snowflake in but I tried on the same watch with a different dial.

My impressions on quality... it is not as good as some people say. Maybe I’m spoiled that my only stainless steel watch bands are on my Nautilus and Milgauss but, the band and clasp felt a little too cheap.

However the hands seemed as good in quality as my patek or JLC to the naked eye. Maybe under a loupe you’d see the difference easily. Then again this watch cost a lot less than both so it’s like comparing a Volkswagen Jetta to a Mercedes E class and saying the leather steering wheel on the Jetta seems as good as the Mercedes one, both are nice leather with chrome and switches.

Anyway this has not turned me off of considering a snowflake when they get one in. I’m just making my comments because there are people here who keep saying that if a Grand Seiko didn’t say Seiko it would sell for a similar amount of a Patek. Sorry but it won’t, but it’s still an awesome value for a quality watch.

Cheers,
Corey
Grand Seiko is the most loupe-friendly watch brand I know of. Much more so than Rolex, sadly. The QC is outstanding by comparison.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:56 AM   #5
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Their boutique is full to the brim with everything in knightsbridge , quite nice to see a full range and the staff are very welcoming .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 10:57 AM   #6
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo4 View Post
Just be aware that I could not find ANYBODY in the US who would/could service it, except for maybe swapping the bezel. Even then, as I recall, Seiko was not keen on making the parts available. Maybe I was not fully informed. Maybe there is support out there thru this forum. Anyway, I would maybe consider a more traditional "HI-BEAT" ...in the hopes that a good independent watchmaker could service (much more of) it.
Seiko US will service GS models, and have been for the past 2 years or so, now that some of their watchmakers have been trained in Japan.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

No doubt well crafted but the design is just not for me. Just too... blocky and busy. The Eichi is probably the only Seiko I would consider, and that’s only when watch money is no object.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 02:19 AM   #8
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Cheers,
Corey
If you tried on the Snowflake model with a different dial, it was probably titanium. It is going to feel "cheaper" than a stainless steel watch. The metal is much lighter, but it is significantly harder.

Take a look at some other GS models. The fit and finish is as good (and I think better) than anything Rolex. I've owned four Pateks, and I don't see that Pateks are superior to GS.

yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 02:24 AM   #9
Corey986
"TRF" Member

Could be. I just assumed it was SS. I don’t own any titanium watches only a titanium dive knife.

Well they took my name and number to call when they have the snowflake back in so I can try it on.
Corey986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 03:49 AM   #10
K2Luxury
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, FPJ + LF
If anyone wants to learn about "Grand Seiko" and see the best vintage pieces around, one address only, better than wikipedia :

www.thegrandseikoguy.com
K2Luxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 10:00 AM   #11
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
If you tried on the Snowflake model with a different dial, it was probably titanium. It is going to feel "cheaper" than a stainless steel watch. The metal is much lighter, but it is significantly harder.

Take a look at some other GS models. The fit and finish is as good (and I think better) than anything Rolex. I've owned four Pateks, and I don't see that Pateks are superior to GS.

This. You probably weren’t looking at SS. GS finishing blows a lot of other brands out of the water. Here is my new SBGW253.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 February 2018, 11:14 AM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
This. You probably weren’t looking at SS. GS finishing blows a lot of other brands out of the water. Here is my new SBGW253.

x2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GREAT GS MACRO.JPG (254.7 KB, 692 views)
Old 15 February 2018, 12:50 PM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:

Cheers,
Corey
I would think GS finishing compares favorably to JLC. labor in Japan is half the cost of labor in Switzerland, so they have a natural advantage in finishing/price.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 02:37 PM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Where they really shine is dial, indices and hands. In those regards GS stands up to Patek all FN day. You could argue they are superior and I would not counter.

In regards to movement finishing, case design, thickness and case aesthetics..
many brands have them covered.

Of course price is relevant as well.

My
Old 15 February 2018, 04:27 PM   #15
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Where they really shine is dial, indices and hands. In those regards GS stands up to Patek all FN day. You could argue they are superior and I would not counter.

In regards to movement finishing, case design, thickness and case aesthetics..
many brands have them covered.

Of course price is relevant as well.

My
All true. Though the 9F quartz movement is very nicely finished and allows for my DD case to be only 9.9mm and not ugly at all (and priced well below $2k if bought at the right kind of store )

On a side note, the current Japanese Grand Seiko catalogue features 13 Spring Drives, 15 Automatics and 25 Quartz (9F) models (not including the ladies options).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adfafdaf.jpg (78.9 KB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg GS Off Wrist.jpg (231.1 KB, 640 views)
Old 15 February 2018, 06:17 PM   #16
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Could be. I just assumed it was SS. I don’t own any titanium watches only a titanium dive knife.

Well they took my name and number to call when they have the snowflake back in so I can try it on.
Titanium does feel cheap imho as well, but bring out the loupe and I am pretty sure GS can compete with the big brands easily
Old 16 February 2018, 02:12 AM   #17
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Titanium does feel cheap imho as well, but bring out the loupe and I am pretty sure GS can compete with the big brands easily
I absolutely despair when I read such remarks.
I suppose they're to be expected when the only indicator of a watch's quality is directly related to its weight (and thereby cost, especially PMs, which are heavier materials).
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 05:55 AM   #18
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
I suppose they're to be expected when the only indicator of a watch's quality is directly related to its weight (and thereby cost, especially PMs, which are heavier materials).
it's like stereo equipment where the assumption is heavier=better. Some tube amps I've seen use heavy cases instead of putting beefy transformers. where the weight should be just to make it seem like it's a quality piece.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 04:38 PM   #19
rolehex

I visited the Grand Seiko Boutique in Beverly Hills this last weekend and tried on the many different models they had there. (and there were a lot) I love this brand and its on my "to do list"

PS was told that Spring Drive can be repaired in New Jersey.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 04:41 PM   #20
rolehex

Quote:

Love this combination...where do you find that band?
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 06:56 PM   #21
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Quote:

That combo is amazing!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 09:47 PM   #22
farscott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Grand Seiko is the most loupe-friendly watch brand I know of. Much more so than Rolex, sadly. The QC is outstanding by comparison.
Totally agree with this. I can spend hours with a loupe and a Grand Seiko dial and hands. The attention to detail and the execution of those details are amazing. Some of the movement components are also made with manufacturing processes lifted from the semiconductor industry, notably photolithography and MEMS, that allow for impressive execution.

I have to admit that I find the Grand Seiko bracelet and clasp designs to be lacking, and the case designs are not my favorite. But the execution of those designs is immaculate.
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2018, 09:59 PM   #23
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
Love this combination...where do you find that band?

Thanks! B and R Bands. Great straps and inexpensive. I also like Colareb bands. Look them up!

Old 17 February 2018, 01:21 AM   #24
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
I know it has nothing to do with the quality, but a titanium watch is just not for me. Each his own
Old 17 February 2018, 05:32 AM   #25
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Double post.
Old 17 February 2018, 05:56 AM   #26
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I agree with others who posit that it felt cheap due to its being titanium, and therefore light in weight. Also, the titanium bracelets use pins rather than screws, which may have also contributed to the perception of cheapness.

I have a Snowflake and absolutely love it. It’s definitely a step above Rolex in terms of finishing quality - and that goes for the case, dial, handset, etc.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 11:59 AM   #27
Whineboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Credor GCLP993
If you are susceptible to their charms, GSs are quite addictive. There's a cold, icy beauty to them (some tell me it's a Japanese aesthetic).
Whineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 12:29 PM   #28
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Used to be into these. It was brief and expensive love affair, lovely watches.
Old 17 February 2018, 12:54 PM   #29
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I agree with others who posit that it felt cheap due to its being titanium, and therefore light in weight. Also, the titanium bracelets use pins rather than screws, which may have also contributed to the perception of cheapness.

I have a Snowflake and absolutely love it. It’s definitely a step above Rolex in terms of finishing quality - and that goes for the case, dial, handset, etc.

yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:31 PM   #30
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I was pretty impressed with the snowflake.
Quality seemed to be as good as my Rolex.
I was rather impressed with it, or specifically the weight of it- it felt like I had nothing on the wrist
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote