The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 5 June 2019, 11:48 AM   #181
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
The last thing I want is someone's ass on the dial of my watch.

This is a missed opportunity from Omega. Huge miss.
This helps......Thanks.
srleadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 09:03 AM   #182
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srleadjb View Post
Cool! Would love to hear more.....What are you not sold on? What did you like? Does it look better in person than the photo's? ...
I have to say (like many others) seeing it in the flesh brought an (even more) positive light to the reference. The aspects that I was on the fence about (grey dial-center, the seconds subdial image, the caseback ) are no longer show-stoppers.

Grey dial - I'm still not sure why they choose to go with three-colors (black / grey / gold) I think black & gold would have been more than enough. Having said that, the grey works.

Buzz - the saving grace is the fact that they did the graphic in matching moonshine gold so it blends in with the color scheme nicely. Just imagine if they had done it in a separate color (or worse, multi colors... argh).

Caseback - I went out of my way to source a 3572.50 so that I could admire the movement and enjoy the Hesalite... so here we have a brand new movement and Omega chose to hide it behind what I thought was some kind of paint job on sapphire. Now that I've seen it, I can say that it looks really impressive - it must be a 3D finish because the writing looks as if it's an inlay... don't know how to better describe it. So while it's still not my preferred choice, I have to admit it looks really good.

Sapphire crystal - I once had a discussion with the OB manager (most awesome fella) about the grey-ring effect of the contemporary moonwatch and he insisted that on some Speedmaster models, Omega has used a different sapphire crystal where the effect is much less pronounced. Well I'm pleased to say that this is the case with the 50th. Viewed head-on, there is very little grey-ring effect and more than acceptable. Nothing they do will replace the warmness of hesalite, but as far as (Omega) sapphire crystals go, this one works.

In a nutshell...

...aside from my occasional desire to Pshop an all-black dial... I have gained a much better appreciation for this reference. Except for the price tag. €9.1K. That's quite a hike from a classic Speedmaster. Even the all-sapphire version is €5.5K. So granted, we're talking about an upgraded movement. I'll toss in €2K for that. €7.5K. "There's gold in them hills" ... not much, though. Whatever ... + €500. So €8K is still justifiable, IMO. €9.1K?

Snoopy went for €6.2K... . Ditto for the 45th. The ceramic-cased Apollo 8 goes for €9.2K, The 9300-powered ceramic DSOM, €10.2K.
So... maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on the price and tbh, if I had the same instantaneous-love-affair as I had when I saw the Speedy Tuesday, I guess I would be less concerned... .

I have some time now to contemplate the 50th - who knows which way I'll go - heck, who knows if there will be one available should I decide to go for it. I'm just your average SpeedyTuesday guy, no more, no less...

p.s. - AWESOME bracelet It tapers down 1mm too much vs. our beloved 1171s but other than that, wooooow

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 09:22 AM   #183
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
I have to say (like many others) seeing it in the flesh brought an (even more) positive light to the reference. The aspects that I was on the fence about (grey dial-center, the seconds subdial image, the caseback ) are no longer show-stoppers.

Grey dial - I'm still not sure why they choose to go with three-colors (black / grey / gold) I think black & gold would have been more than enough. Having said that, the grey works.

Buzz - the saving grace is the fact that they did the graphic in matching moonshine gold so it blends in with the color scheme nicely. Just imagine if they had done it in a separate color (or worse, multi colors... argh).

Caseback - I went out of my way to source a 3572.50 so that I could admire the movement and enjoy the Hesalite... so here we have a brand new movement and Omega chose to hide it behind what I thought was some kind of paint job on sapphire. Now that I've seen it, I can say that it looks really impressive - it must be a 3D finish because the writing looks as if it's an inlay... don't know how to better describe it. So while it's still not my preferred choice, I have to admit it looks really good.

Sapphire crystal - I once had a discussion with the OB manager (most awesome fella) about the grey-ring effect of the contemporary moonwatch and he insisted that on some Speedmaster models, Omega has used a different sapphire crystal where the effect is much less pronounced. Well I'm pleased to say that this is the case with the 50th. Viewed head-on, there is very little grey-ring effect and more than acceptable. Nothing they do will replace the warmness of hesalite, but as far as (Omega) sapphire crystals go, this one works.

In a nutshell...

...aside from my occasional desire to Pshop an all-black dial... I have gained a much better appreciation for this reference. Except for the price tag. €9.1K. That's quite a hike from a classic Speedmaster. Even the all-sapphire version is €5.5K. So granted, we're talking about an upgraded movement. I'll toss in €2K for that. €7.5K. "There's gold in them hills" ... not much, though. Whatever ... + €500. So €8K is still justifiable, IMO. €9.1K?

Snoopy went for €6.2K... . Ditto for the 45th. The ceramic-cased Apollo 8 goes for €9.2K, The 9300-powered ceramic DSOM, €10.2K.

So... maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on the price and tbh, if I had the same instantaneous-love-affair as I had when I saw the Speedy Tuesday, I guess I would be less concerned... .

I have some time now to contemplate the 50th - who knows which way I'll go - heck, who knows if there will be one available should I decide to go for it. I'm just your average SpeedyTuesday guy, no more, no less...

p.s. - AWESOME bracelet It tapers down 1mm too much vs. our beloved 1171s but other than that, wooooow

Great info. Thank you very much.
Old 6 June 2019, 10:38 AM   #184
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quick n dirty - I wanted to see what an all black dial would look like...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 10 June 2019, 01:27 AM   #185
F83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
My contact at the Boutique just texted me. She stated only 75 pieces for the US. I questioned her on that, seems ridiculously low. But when you take into account all the countries it has to go to it's not that ridiculous but still very very low in my opinion. Maybe she's trying to influence me to come in and pay the balance faster.
Mine said the same thing. It’s weird but I think it may be true. At least for the Boutiques.
F83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 02:35 AM   #186
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

I was at my Omega Boutique in Los Angeles yesterday and the manager told me 700 pieces are allotted to the US. That’s 10% and seems like a more reasonable number.
Old 10 June 2019, 07:06 AM   #187
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was at my Omega Boutique in Los Angeles yesterday and the manager told me 700 pieces are allotted to the US. That’s 10% and seems like a more reasonable number.
I was told, 600 for boutiques, and 400 for ADs.
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 09:39 AM   #188
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
The biggest issue is the quote on the back....
"One small step for a man.....,"

Armstrong actually said...
"One small step for man...."

There's been debate for years that he meant to say A man....
But didn't!
How omega can print that misquote is beyond me. Butt shot of Aldrin is the deal breaker too!

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 09:47 AM   #189
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucengineer View Post
How omega can print that misquote is beyond me. Butt shot of Aldrin is the deal breaker too!

According to computer analysis, he did say “a”. I’m quit sure Omega did their research before deciding on this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5398560.stm
Old 10 June 2019, 11:16 AM   #190
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
According to computer analysis, he did say “a”. I’m quit sure Omega did their research before deciding on this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5398560.stm

I found it hilarious that just a few weeks after omega released this with the quote that includes “a” LEGO released a set that doesn’t include it. https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/31/1...set-space-moon
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 11:51 AM   #191
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

I have the LEGO set and you are right.

BUT it actually makes sense to me, from a marketing standpoint, that LEGO would go with what people remember. It’s a toy set and I doubt many people buying it would understand why it’s different than how we all remember it. They would just assume it’s a misquote as many people on here have about the watch.

However, Omega is making a high end luxury item that costs a 100 times more and I think the expectation should be for it to be historically correct. It adds to the story and I applaud them for doing it.

I imagine both LEGO and Omega had many discussions about this before deciding.

Old 10 June 2019, 12:05 PM   #192
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
I have the LEGO set and you are right.

BUT it actually makes sense to me, from a marketing standpoint, that LEGO would go with what people remember. It’s a toy set and I doubt many people buying it would understand why it’s different than how we all remember it. They would just assume it’s a misquote as many people on here have about the watch.

However, Omega is making a high end luxury item that costs a 100 times more and I think the expectation should be for it to be historically correct. It adds to the story and I applaud them for doing it.

I imagine both LEGO and Omega had many discussions about this before deciding.

Fair point! Really cool that you got it, it looks great!!
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 06:27 PM   #193
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks.

For me, the grey makes sense, though, as a nod to the moon. It also further differentiates it.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 06:51 PM   #194
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Price is high, $10K...
Old 10 June 2019, 09:55 PM   #195
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The point (to me anyway) is that Armstrong INTENDED the quote to include "...for a man..." The fact that he flubbed the line, which he later admitted, should not change the quote. I'm totally fine with the quote as stated on the Omega and I'm pretty sure Neil would appreciate it too. After all, without the "a" the quote doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:35 PM   #196
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
...For me, the grey makes sense, though, as a nod to the moon. It also further differentiates it.
...seems to be the consensus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Price is high, $10K...
Agree... a few K less and it would be a no-brainer... sigh
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 10 June 2019, 11:36 PM   #197
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice work. Could you possible do the grey dial, but replace the 9 subdial with the standard subdial? I would really like to see what this watch would have looked like without the buzz-butt
Old 11 June 2019, 04:08 AM   #198
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Nice work. Could you possible do...
Thx
Unfortunately I don't have the skillz for your request (I could probably manage it, but a pro could manage it in a tenth of the time).

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 11 June 2019, 04:16 AM   #199
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thx
Unfortunately I don't have the skillz for your request (I could probably manage it, but a pro could manage it in a tenth of the time).

Don't sell yourself short, I bet you could do it

What if you just copy the 3 subdial and place over the 9?

I don't have photoshop so that suggestion is the best I can offer
Old 13 June 2019, 09:12 PM   #200
lexflana
Banned

Beautiful watch!
lexflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 05:30 AM   #201
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

i kind of like the grey as it ties everything in with the bracelet. on strap, an all black dial may be better.
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:53 AM   #202
russ86
"TRF" Member

I wanted to get it in the Omega boutique on 5th ave, my friend literally stopped me from purchasing it, his rational once they came out I can buy it for a bit better price. Your thoughts?
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 04:14 PM   #203
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan1987 View Post
I wanted to get it in the Omega boutique on 5th ave, my friend literally stopped me from purchasing it, his rational once they came out I can buy it for a bit better price. Your thoughts?

According to my OB, it’s sold out. Are they still offering you one?

If so, why not put down the deposit and decide once it comes in?
Old 14 June 2019, 09:23 PM   #204
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would be surprised if they still say they can source you one as many here have been told they are all allocated (and needed 100% deposit to secure the piece). Did you speak to them recently and get offered a piece, or just a spot on a wait list?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 14 June 2019, 09:45 PM   #205
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Îf he / you are implying a discount price from the Boutique, I think you can forget that.

If instead you mean that the price could drop on the secondary market, well that's a gamble... . There are enough LEs that didn't hold their price, but there are a few that have done extremely well (Snoopy, 35th Apollo 11th Panda, "seahorse" 50th Speedmaster, ...).

Bottom line - if you love it, bus it now.
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 16 June 2019, 09:46 AM   #206
Passinthru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Find a new friend! :-)

"A bit better price"? How much is it worth to not spend the money now and possibly lose the opportunity. Of course, it may be too late now......or not. Who knows? Your friend is a gambler, are you? I am not. I went to my local boutique last July and had them start the list with me first on it. Then I talked to two of my friends....we are now 1, 2 and 3 on the list. This March I paid all three full deposits the split second I got the call from my OB and we have been confirmed by Omega as being on the list to receive a watch. My friends have since reimbursed me. They thanked me for taking the initiative and for temporarily fronting them the money. They didn't stop me. I didn't stop them. I do hope your friend is right and you can get your watch for a bit better price and if not a better price, at least get the watch. As for me and my friends, we are all planning on keeping our watches and are very excited. So even if it can be eventually obtained for "a bit better price" we will be OK with that.
Passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 07:17 AM   #207
russ86
"TRF" Member

5th ave boutique that had stock last week and other 9 boutiques that I called today are sold out officially. I guess I should have left a 100% deposit and decide to get it or not when the watch comes in the store. Oh well. If any of the members here purchased one and for some reason wants to sell let me know.
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 11:28 AM   #208
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
5th ave boutique that had stock last week ...
That would be quite surprising - I have yet to see a single owner post theirs on IG, the forums or FB...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 23 June 2019, 11:59 AM   #209
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That would be quite surprising - I have yet to see a single owner post theirs on IG, the forums or FB...

I think he meant “spots” to order, not “stock.”
Old 23 June 2019, 04:37 PM   #210
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

Anyone from Australia getting one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chromosome is offline   Reply With Quote