The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 June 2019, 11:49 PM   #1
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Patek Perpetual Calendars

Just sharing this.

Visited the Salon in London 3 days ago. Since there are of course no Nautilus or Aquanaut anywhere in sight, so end up checking out the perpetual calendars. Amid all the Nautilus / Aquanaut craze, all 4 versions of them ( 5320G and all 3 versions of 5327 G/J/R ) were available and just sitting in the display shelves, unwanted and unloved. Pity.. because they actually looks really nice irl. The 5327 in particular, the dial pops and it wears much larger than the size suggest.

The 5320G has a very interesting case. The same case design was adopted in the 5172G as well, ie the step lugs, and a double layer polished case. My gripe with this reference is the stringe hands and the smaller than normal movement.

It even comes with it's own winder as an extra.

One interesting feature as I was told regarding PP perpetual calendars is that if one overshoot the date, it can be easily adjusted back. Unlike perpetual calendars with single crown operation that has to be sent back to factory for reset if that happens.
Old 19 June 2019, 12:05 AM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

One interesting feature as I was told regarding PP perpetual calendars is that if one overshoot the date, it can be easily adjusted back. Unlike perpetual calendars with single crown operation that has to be sent back to factory for reset if that happens.
Some beauties there for sure.

Can't speak for all perpetual calendars that use a single crown but all the ones I've owned (3) can be set backwards and forwards to your hearts content (across dates, days, months and years) - I've always understood pusher adjustment is much more of a limiting system both for going backwards and for being watertight.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 12:51 AM   #3
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I loved the 5320g when I tried it on last year. I may consider getting this piece if it falls below 60k on the secondary market.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 01:01 AM   #4
Aquaman
Banned

If I was ever lucky enough to own a perpetual calender, it would have to be the 5320

Ive seen a few on my travels recently, but I agree with the post above, wait until the prices drop
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 01:03 AM   #5
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I love the 5320G. Might get it this year...debating it.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 01:06 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Nice, they come with 5 year warranty i hope. Had a Patek 3970rg perpetual, but now the old-school pushers seem relics compared to Rolex Sky-Dweller. Just be very, very careful using pushers on these old designs. As I've said before, Patek desperately needs two to three modern base movements to stay relevant.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 01:08 AM   #7
Sam Philip
Banned

I have seen all versions of 5327s in dealer windows but I have not seen many 5230Gs
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 01:32 AM   #8
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Beautiful :)
Old 19 June 2019, 01:35 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Nice, they come with 5 year warranty i hope. Had a Patek 3970rg perpetual, but now the old-school pushers seem relics compared to Rolex Sky-Dweller. Just be very, very careful using pushers on these old designs. As I've said before, Patek desperately needs two to three modern base movements to stay relevant.
I am pretty sure you know patek does not offer a 5 year warranty and comparing a skydweller to a patek perpetual calendar is downright foolish.
Old 19 June 2019, 01:44 AM   #10
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
SkyDweller isn't a perpetual calendar.
Old 19 June 2019, 01:57 AM   #11
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:

Still skipping and repeating.
Old 19 June 2019, 02:05 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Of course you gentlemen are right, Patek needs to show their 'superiority' with a perpetual like the SkyD and of course at least equal the 5 year warranty that ensures they stand behind their craftsmanship. I'm rooting for Patek, truly am as had a good collection of them. Yet so far they have nothing to offer. Patek truly needs new leadership, because once the old man left the company went to shite imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 19 June 2019, 02:06 AM   #13
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have always liked the 5327 blue. Hopefully I can get it one day.

I reckon the 5327P will come in a black dial?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 04:25 AM   #14
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Of course you gentlemen are right, Patek needs to show their 'superiority' with a perpetual like the SkyD and of course at least equal the 5 year warranty that ensures they stand behind their craftsmanship. I'm rooting for Patek, truly am as had a good collection of them. Yet so far they have nothing to offer. Patek truly needs new leadership, because once the old man left the company went to shite imho.
For fear of repeating myself (but since you have I will) the SkyDweller is an annual calendar not a Perpetual. Rolex’s use of the word ‘perpetual’ is more than a little misleading - a fact I’m sure you know but have chosen to ignore in this thread.
Old 19 June 2019, 04:44 AM   #15
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
For fear of repeating myself (but since you have I will) the SkyDweller is an annual calendar not a Perpetual. Rolex’s use of the word ‘perpetual’ is more than a little misleading - a fact I’m sure you know but have chosen to ignore in this thread.
Not ignoring, i said 'like' the SkyD, Patek can add perpetual and eliminate the old-school pushers. C'mon Patek, show some innovation that's useful. So again, they need at least two new base movements. Let's see what they offer at next Spring's big show. If they do yet another nothingburger event with redials and recasings....

So yes, i get it, perpetual versus annual. BTW my first Patek was a 5035rg when they first came out. See, that was innovative for them. Now they need to change away from pushers into something more modern. Perhaps a new Worldtime with easily interchangeable outer wheel or ??? And yes, 5 year warranty to help buyers feel confident in these times of what seems to be higher defect rates and long service times.

Bring back the old man, or someone new who can bring Patek back to the quality and creativity they were at one time considered leaders. Jmho.

Old 19 June 2019, 07:41 AM   #16
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Steven... please dont think I am trying to bust your balls. This is an open forum so everyone’s opinion should hold the same weight but do you currently own any Pateks? I know you mentioned having many in the past but it seems like any chance you get to crap on the brand you certainly take. I was under the impression you switched completely to Rolex. Any current models you hope to add from PP?

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 08:40 AM   #17
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
SkyDweller isn't a perpetual calendar.
I been pushing my 3970 all day for years - the Lemania caliber is good enough for spaceflight and i’ve had no issues. Or MAYBE i’ve Been lucky - need to think about this
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 11:04 AM   #18
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and it wears much larger than the size suggest.
This is the one thing I don't like about most of Patek's current dress watches... Other than that, there's much to love.
Old 19 June 2019, 06:16 PM   #19
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I have seen all versions of 5327s in dealer windows but I have not seen many 5230Gs
i see them all over the place. certainly not a scarce watch.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 12:18 AM   #20
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
This is the one thing I don't like about most of Patek's current dress watches... Other than that, there's much to love.
Same thoughts. And the 5327 is gorgeous.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 02:09 AM   #21
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Some beauties there for sure.

Can't speak for all perpetual calendars that use a single crown but all the ones I've owned (3) can be set backwards and forwards to your hearts content (across dates, days, months and years) - I've always understood pusher adjustment is much more of a limiting system both for going backwards and for being watertight.
Thanks for the correction. So far I know perpetual calendars comes in two ways to adjust, either via crown or via pushers. If I recall correct, single crown adjustment like IWC perpetual, one cannot move backwards so if overshoot, then it's gone case, which might mean better the pushers operation. I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
If I was ever lucky enough to own a perpetual calender, it would have to be the 5320

Ive seen a few on my travels recently, but I agree with the post above, wait until the prices drop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I love the 5320G. Might get it this year...debating it.
5320G in the flesh is quite impressive. I was also surprised it looks this good compared to pics. My biggest gripe is the caseback. The movement looks really small relative to the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i see them all over the place. certainly not a scarce watch.
Yes, that's why I said pity, because they are nice watches but obviously not doing that great relative to PP sports model which is why they are easy to find. Regardless, I can still forsee myself getting one down the road but probably not anytime soon.
Old 20 June 2019, 02:34 AM   #22
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. So far I know perpetual calendars comes in two ways to adjust, either via crown or via pushers. If I recall correct, single crown adjustment like IWC perpetual, one cannot move backwards so if overshoot, then it's gone case, which might mean better the pushers operation. I might be wrong.

5320G in the flesh is quite impressive. I was also surprised it looks this good compared to pics. My biggest gripe is the caseback. The movement looks really small relative to the case.

Yes, that's why I said pity, because they are nice watches but obviously not doing that great relative to PP sports model which is why they are easy to find. Regardless, I can still forsee myself getting one down the road but probably not anytime soon.
have just seen this

https://www.instagram.com/p/By5bslKHCPd/

but agreed its a beautiful piece which i regularly try on , but cant pull the trigger at retail
Old 20 June 2019, 02:49 AM   #23
ttk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I totally agree with the sentiment that PP should step up its game in terms of innovation that will allow them to move away from the pushers (regardless of AC or PC). I think it’s a fair point that we haven’t seen innovation like Rolex’s Ring Command from Patek in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 02:50 AM   #24
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
have just seen this

https://www.instagram.com/p/By5bslKHCPd/

but agreed its a beautiful piece which i regularly try on , but cant pull the trigger at retail
It is a nice watch but I wouldn't but from Blowers. Their prices are quite high
Old 20 June 2019, 02:52 AM   #25
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
It is a nice watch but I wouldn't but from Blowers. Their prices are quite high
its a beautiful piece

i was just pointing out pre owned prices, i think give it another year or 2, nearer the 50k mark

Old 20 June 2019, 03:00 AM   #26
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
its a beautiful piece

i was just pointing out pre owned prices, i think give it another year or 2, nearer the 50k mark

It has been on catalogue for bit more than 2 years, I don't think Patek has flooded the market like they did with the 5327s so the secondary prices are still strong compared to 5327s. I also think it will be available below £ 50000 in the pre-owned market in the next year or two.
Old 20 June 2019, 03:05 AM   #27
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
It has been on catalogue for bit more than 2 years, I don't think Patek has flooded the market like they did with the 5327s so the secondary prices are still strong compared to 5327s. I also think it will be available below £ 50000 in the pre-owned market in the next year or two.

i dont think they have also, ive seen 2 in the last months on my travels, and also 1 has came out of a safe , instead of being in the window which was offered to me

and under 50k would be fab and id be all over it

Old 20 June 2019, 04:22 AM   #28
dom007
"TRF" Member

Watch: on the dark side
Quote:
...Patek desperately needs two to three modern base movements to stay relevant.
It is always interesting to see how someone takes so much time, day after day, to post his opinion about an irrelevant watch brand in this forum.

I personally invest my time actually only for things which are relevant for me...
dom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 04:35 AM   #29
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i dont think they have also, ive seen 2 in the last months on my travels, and also 1 has came out of a safe , instead of being in the window which was offered to me

and under 50k would be fab and id be all over it

rome today, AD Hausmann. two 5320's, one in via del corso, the other one in via del babuino, both in the shop window. also any other PC that you can think of and a regulator 5325G. of course, no nautis, no aquas.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 04:37 AM   #30
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
rome today, AD Hausmann. two 5320's, one in via del corso, the other one in via del babuino, both in the shop window. also any other PC that you can think of and a regulator 5325G. of course, no nautis, no aquas.
so i can see discounts down the line then, well lets hope so