The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 June 2021, 06:09 PM   #1
happyglands
"TRF" Member

1953 Oyster Perpetual (Ref: 1007)

Hey guys, first post here, sorry if I'm in the wrong section. I’ve been a lurker ever since my mother handed some Rolexes down to me a few months ago, but only now created an account.

So, my mother gave me 3 Oyster Perpetuals that belonged to my grandparents and her. I’ve never been a watch guy, but ever since receiving them I’m becoming more interested and love to read about the history of the watches and see the pictures you post.

The watch that belonged to my grandfather, and which I’m planning to use, is an Oyster Perpetual from 1953 (1007). I have ocasionally worn it, but would like to understand my options here, regarding its service. The watch seems to be a bit erratic: this morning it had lost 2 seconds comparing to yesterday, but now it’s on time again (could this be a sign that it needs to be serviced?). My grandfather wore this everyday until the day he passed away, 25 years ago. Since then, the watch had been stored in a drawer until my mother handed it to me.

I don’t know if the watch has ever been serviced (my mother neither), so I’d like to know your opinion. I’ve read that a vintage Rolex may be a bit troublesome to service, especially because I don’t want them to replace the “outer” parts. They’re a bit scratched but it’s part of its and my grandfather’s history. Do you think I could keep using it until it can keep tracking time to an acceptable accuracy?

Anyway, maybe I'll just enjoy it as it is and save it for some special occasions.

Thanks in advance :)
happyglands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 08:01 PM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Welcome! I hope you realize the depth and complexity of the rabbit hole you're entering into.

They'll need servicing after all that time idle. I'm guessing the watches will be too old for Rolex to accept them for servicing, and anyway you shouldn't send them to Rolex - they'd swap out the vintage parts, which is where any intrinsic value might be.

Find a vintage-sympathetic watchmaker for service and advice. You'll need to give us your location to get suggestions for this.

And post some pics of the watches!
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 08:10 PM   #3
happyglands
"TRF" Member

Hey! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes, that's what I feared :( I'm in Portugal, so it may be a bit hard to get suggestions here, but one can hope!

I wanted to post the pics, but I'm required to have at least 10 posts to do that :D I don't want to spam, but when I get there I'll post the pictures!
Old 18 June 2021, 11:47 PM   #4
donaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 5508
I’ve seen posts about positioning a Rolex in various orientations when not on the wrist to pick up or drop a few seconds a day. Perhaps someone more well versed in such things can add to this.

Great to hear about family heirlooms being cherished by their new owners!
Old 18 June 2021, 11:54 PM   #5
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

I'd also point out that for watches this old (and really even for brand new ones) you shouldn't even think about a difference of "2 seconds". If a 70 year old watch watch +/- 20-30 seconds a day you'd be doing pretty well. Still, given the times you are describing I'm sure they could use a service but you really, really want to make sure you are dealing with a reputable watchmaker who has access to genuine Rolex parts. It would be such a shame to have these things "butchered" after they have been in the family for so long.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 12:29 AM   #6
happyglands
"TRF" Member

Thank you both for the tips

I think I'll try my luck in an AD and see what comes out of it. I. The +-2 seconds don't bother me, I'm just wondering if the oil could be dried out and having the watch run is just ruining its internals.
Old 19 June 2021, 01:53 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyglands View Post

I think I'll try my luck in an AD and see what comes out of it. I. The +-2 seconds don't bother me, I'm just wondering if the oil could be dried out and having the watch run is just ruining its internals.
An AD is probably the last place I would try my luck unless you know something very specific about this particular AD. They are typically just jewelers and who knows where they will send it. Most of the problems we hear about happen when ADs are used as middle-men. If you want to see if Rolex will service it, send it directly to an RSC. Not likely, but worth a try. Otherwise, make the effort to find a reputable watchmaker with a Rolex parts account.
Old 19 June 2021, 02:07 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would expect that in the larger city areas there will be several good watchmakers who could clean and oil your older watch. Continuing to use it in it's neglected state may lead to damage that would be very hard to fix.

As to pictures, anybody can post them as attachments as long as they meet the size requirements of the file type. Use the paperclip icon.

You need post count and time in order to add links to images or other sites.
Old 19 June 2021, 02:44 AM   #9
happyglands
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I'm dumb, didn't notice the paper clip icon

Hm, I'll try to find some info about a good watchmaker where I live.

So here are the pics of the watches, not great but I'm not the most creative guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3382.jpg (230.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3390.jpg (241.3 KB, 109 views)
Old 19 June 2021, 07:44 AM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think I'll try my luck in an AD and see what comes out of it.
Hmm. There's no point asking for the vintage community's advice and then doing completely the opposite.

You need an expert vintage restorer. An AD certainly isn't that.

Take the time to learn about what you have and how it needs to be treated. Don't rush in without the necessary knowledge.
Old 19 June 2021, 09:13 AM   #11
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Agreed. Also, don’t have anyone mess with the engine turned bezel. It is crisp and pristine.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 12:30 PM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Welcome to TRF. The answers you get here over the next few days are likely to raise many questions that could be confusing to an horological newcomer.

Yes they need a complete service if you plan to keep the heirlooms in working order to hand down in your family. Plan on €2,000 for all 4 of them plus any major parts that aren’t covered in the overhaul.

Do not use an AD or RSC unless you want to spend much more and have to argue with them about retaining originality. The one you want to primarily use has issues with the dial and hands from mold or mildew inside. That leads me to believe the movement could have possible corrosion.

I’ve done what you have ahead of you on a 50 y.o. omega - and tried to save a dial but eventually had to refinish it.

Hope for much success in your quest to make these wonderful watches live again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 08:19 PM   #13
happyglands
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys for the help. I'll then avoid an AD. I was thinking of just trying my luck and explicitly tell them not to replace any parts, but it seems that your opinion is unanimous against them :) I have to do a thorough research for watchmakers around my area (which, to be honest, I'm not to hopeful about), as the Rolex community seems almost non-existent here.
Old 19 June 2021, 08:46 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you guys for the help. I'll then avoid an AD. I was thinking of just trying my luck and explicitly tell them not to replace any parts, but it seems that your opinion is unanimous against them :) I have to do a thorough research for watchmakers around my area (which, to be honest, I'm not to hopeful about), as the Rolex community seems almost non-existent here.
Good move. Do the research, figure out what you need and what's available. It's been 25 years - a few more months isn't going to make much difference. You owe it to Gramps.

I'm sure a big city like Lisbon must have a decent watch guy.
Old 19 June 2021, 10:40 PM   #15
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Perhaps you can just try to find an experienced watchmaker who works on vintage watches often. Rolex is not so different from other brands. It can be helpful to connect with collectors in your area to get first-hand recommendations. I don't know about your location, but there are often small clubs or meet-up groups and the internet makes them easier to find these days. Even if you are going to send the watch to a watchmaker elsewhere, it's better to do it yourself than rely on the AD's arbitrary choice. That way you will have personal communication with the person doing the work.
Old 19 June 2021, 10:42 PM   #16
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have to do a thorough research for watchmakers around my area (which, to be honest, I'm not to hopeful about), as the Rolex community seems almost non-existent here.
There are some well-respected watchmakers who specialize in vintage overhauls. You would be undertaking the risk of shipping internationally, of course.

Some browsing in this Vintage Rolex Section will uncover the spectacular work done by them.

I’ll kick it off with one pair of names: Phillip & Bob Ridley

https://ridleywatchmakers.com/

https://watchmakers.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 03:17 AM   #17
Das
"TRF" Member

RSC London will not replace dials or hands etc if you tell them not to. In fact, they recommended to me not to swap out an original brushed dial as they didn't have any left and thought keeping it original was best.
Das is offline   Reply With Quote