The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 April 2021, 01:59 AM   #61
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berettameier View Post
There was no email invitation for 2 pm. They announced the event on their website as well as on Instagram.
Well there was for me

Dear Mr *****,

I hope this email finds you healthy and hopeful, despite the ongoing global situation. As we enter the second quarter of 2021, I certainly feel optimistic and proud about what is to come for Patek Philippe.

As you know, each year we release an expertly crafted collection of new and innovative models. One of my favorite things to do is meet with you in person and tell you all about them. Although that’s not possible at this point, I am pleased to say that Patek Philippe has found some other ways for you to experience our latest offerings in digital form. Today, as Geneva’s Watches and Wonders show opens online, we launch four new Nautilus models, and I’d like to invite you to discover more about them at patek.com, including a special treat for those of you who are fans of the steel Ref. 5711.

Next week my team and I will have the pleasure of presenting to you from inside the manufacture, showcasing a selection of new 2021 models that reflect Patek Philippe’s technical and aesthetic know-how. For your private invitation to this event, please look out for an email from me on April 12 at 18:00 CET.

I hope you and your loved ones continue to keep safe.

With best wishes,
Signature

Thierry Stern
President
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 02:03 AM   #62
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Correction, I now have the invite
Old 13 April 2021, 06:27 AM   #63
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
I don't understand how they make a steel watch that is only 30m water resistant.

4947/1A
It is a (very nice) ladies watch.

I do not agree with the following part but it is their reasoning: Women prefer a watch which is less fragile because they have an active life (kids, etc).
Years ago, they would require quartz and steel. Now their is more and more demand for mecanic movement, so PP is transitioning their movements (quartz -> mecanic).
Most of the PP steel watch production (in unit) is for women (even if there is a very high demand from the men because we want a PP not only in the office but also during our active life and because we also take care of the kids hehe).
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 08:10 AM   #64
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
beautiful releases from Patek this year.
when they released the nautilus first and kept us in suspense with the 12 Apr ad, i knew they where going to release something good. something anti-nautilus. something in the DNA of Patek and they didn't disappoint.
the thing i was surprised a little with is the pricing of the PC 5236P. to be honest that is way above the PC range and more into the PCC range (5270). i wonder who is going to cannibalise the other watch market (PC or PCC)
Old 13 April 2021, 10:11 AM   #65
ma.st.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
beautiful releases from Patek this year.
when they released the nautilus first and kept us in suspense with the 12 Apr ad, i knew they where going to release something good. something anti-nautilus. something in the DNA of Patek and they didn't disappoint.
the thing i was surprised a little with is the pricing of the PC 5236P. to be honest that is way above the PC range and more into the PCC range (5270). i wonder who is going to cannibalise the other watch market (PC or PCC)
I completely agree on all of the above. I was about $30k lower than the msrp when I guessed to myself after first seeing it. And agree, in my opinion, this was a stellar release from PP with the Calatrava and the PC hitting all the right heritage and modern notes. Well done indeed
ma.st. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 11:29 AM   #66
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I love the PC. Im gonna ask my AD for it to complement my 5235. Its expensive but f*** it.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 11:44 AM   #67
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I’m more than happy with the new models, the new Calatrava looks amazing, they have brought it up to date but have kept the traditional style and I’m looking forward to trying one on, I might consider replacing the 5196 if the fit is right, the green Nautilus looks amazing the colour is just right and hopefully I’ll see one soon, I like the 5236 it is truly amazing but is a bit out of my price range, overall a good year by Patek Philippe in my opinion.
Old 13 April 2021, 12:33 PM   #68
Sothy
"TRF" Member

Is anyone surprised by the lack of yellow gold models? I realize that pink gold is popular in some parts of the world, but so is yellow gold.
Sothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 05:54 PM   #69
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
Is anyone surprised by the lack of yellow gold models? I realize that pink gold is popular in some parts of the world, but so is yellow gold.
Expect yellow gold next year. Also nowadays WG and RG are overwhelmingly preferred to YG, that's just how the sentiment is. Could very well change again in 20 years.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 06:16 PM   #70
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
It is a (very nice) ladies watch.
It's a shame that many people only see it that way and PP haven't done anything to say otherwise. A 38mm stainless complication would be a very understated and nice thing to wear, it fits a niche between the Nautilus/Aqua and the dress watches.

It's funny how things stick, when the Aquanaut came out someone told me it was a funky ladies version of the Nautilus and I thought that was true for quite a while until I saw men wearing them. But even now some twenty something years later I still never even looked at one to buy for myself because in my head it's a ladies watch.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 06:33 PM   #71
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
I think it is difficult to say what was 2020 and what is 2021 - the pattern of the releases is complicated with Covid. I think they changed plans several times. First, they canceled all releases for 2020 and hoped for a physical event in 2021. Then, they released some watches 2020 in September, and the watch brands were sure that a physical event in Geneva will happen in 2021. Finally, we had a digital event in the 3th Covid wave, so I am not sure what was the original plan.

We had 5270J last released in that complicated cycle.
Bosscheto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 09:31 PM   #72
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
It's a shame that many people only see it that way and PP haven't done anything to say otherwise. A 38mm stainless complication would be a very understated and nice thing to wear, it fits a niche between the Nautilus/Aqua and the dress watches.
I don't like the 38mm SS AC but in my book it is certainly not a ladies watch.

What I would have liked is a unisex version of the ladies watch they did release yesterday, no guillauche or diamonds, just a basic 35mm SS two-hander powered by the 240 micro rotor movement. Take my money.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 01:16 AM   #73
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I don't like the 38mm SS AC but in my book it is certainly not a ladies watch.

What I would have liked is a unisex version of the ladies watch they did release yesterday, no guillauche or diamonds, just a basic 35mm SS two-hander powered by the 240 micro rotor movement. Take my money.
OK, if the SS AC case and bracelet was used for a three hander or, better yet, a chronograph with no other complications, I would buy it.
Why Patek continues to stuff their line with ACs and PCs and AC chronographs is beyond me (well, not really, it must be the margins on selling multiple complication watches). Why not a chronograph in a Calatrava case similar to the 5227 or the 5127 in steel or even gold sans the diamond indices.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 05:06 AM   #74
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
OK, if the SS AC case and bracelet was used for a three hander or, better yet, a chronograph with no other complications, I would buy it.
Why Patek continues to stuff their line with ACs and PCs and AC chronographs is beyond me (well, not really, it must be the margins on selling multiple complication watches). Why not a chronograph in a Calatrava case similar to the 5227 or the 5127 in steel or even gold sans the diamond indices.
Historically Patek Philippe has been known for their complicated watches and the dress watch Calatrava.
They made very few SS watches before 1976 when the Nautilus was introduced. Back then people considered SS watches as cheap watches. In many parts of the world, people still have a perception that a watch in SS is cheap. So there are many people who ask why buy a WG or Platinum watch when to most people's eyes, they can't tell it apart from a SS watch. And so Rolex DD always had to be YG and not WG/Plat unless you were a WIS.

Things have changed over the past 20+ years as AP has become more and more a SS Sports watch company and many would like Patek to be the same. But if Patek made 80% SS watches, it wouldn't be the same company as it has been over 175 years and as long as the Sterns own the company, it won't happen.

I believe TS is opening up to making more watches in SS as he has with the Calatrava and the new AC and prvisouly the 5960. Who knows he may introduce a PC or a chrono in SS. But IMHO once you introduce something in SS it is a lot harder to sell something in PM. An example would be Rolex with their SkyDweller.
jon_jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 08:36 AM   #75
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Historically Patek Philippe has been known for their complicated watches and the dress watch Calatrava.
They made very few SS watches before 1976 when the Nautilus was introduced. Back then people considered SS watches as cheap watches. In many parts of the world, people still have a perception that a watch in SS is cheap. So there are many people who ask why buy a WG or Platinum watch when to most people's eyes, they can't tell it apart from a SS watch. And so Rolex DD always had to be YG and not WG/Plat unless you were a WIS.

Things have changed over the past 20+ years as AP has become more and more a SS Sports watch company and many would like Patek to be the same. But if Patek made 80% SS watches, it wouldn't be the same company as it has been over 175 years and as long as the Sterns own the company, it won't happen.

I believe TS is opening up to making more watches in SS as he has with the Calatrava and the new AC and prvisouly the 5960. Who knows he may introduce a PC or a chrono in SS. But IMHO once you introduce something in SS it is a lot harder to sell something in PM. An example would be Rolex with their SkyDweller.
I guess my issue isn't with SS vs. PM, it's the use of the AC and the PC and the moon phase function. I get that these functions are PPs bread and butter but for my own taste a more sporty chronograph in SS or PM would be appreciated. I always felt that the 5960 would have been a terrific success if the Calendar function had been removed and only the time, PR, and chronograph functions (and maybe the date) had remained.
Based on his designs for PP, AP, and Bulgari, Gerald Genta must have felt that less is more since he seems to have eschewed unnecessary functions and, in most cases, I agree.
Old 14 April 2021, 09:13 PM   #76
italiafan
"TRF" Member

I love the AC function. I like a mechanical watch to do more than time alone, and I think the chronograph fxn is almost useless given that I never feel the need to exactly time stuff (and when I boil eggs or cook steak I just say, “Hey Siri, set timer to...”
Love my 5726 and 5205G.
I’m considering the 4947 because it is a steel AC, but I’m not sure about a 38mm watch on my 7.5” wrist.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:39 PM   #77
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
I love the AC function. I like a mechanical watch to do more than time alone, and I think the chronograph fxn is almost useless given that I never feel the need to exactly time stuff (and when I boil eggs or cook steak I just say, “Hey Siri, set timer to...”
Love my 5726 and 5205G.
I’m considering the 4947 because it is a steel AC, but I’m not sure about a 38mm watch on my 7.5” wrist.
That is so funny, I have no use for an AC but, I guess I have OCD, because I time everything: how long was my hike, how long did it take to drive to the trail head. When I lived in NYC I timed how long it took for the M15 local bus to arrive etc.
Truly, different strokes.
Old 14 April 2021, 10:30 PM   #78
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess my issue isn't with SS vs. PM, it's the use of the AC and the PC and the moon phase function. I get that these functions are PPs bread and butter but for my own taste a more sporty chronograph in SS or PM would be appreciated. I always felt that the 5960 would have been a terrific success if the Calendar function had been removed and only the time, PR, and chronograph functions (and maybe the date) had remained.
Based on his designs for PP, AP, and Bulgari, Gerald Genta must have felt that less is more since he seems to have eschewed unnecessary functions and, in most cases, I agree.
AFAIK Patek has/had a patent for the PC and AC. And Patek is well known for their firsts in the watch industry. Certainly AC and PC are not for everyone. But a lot of people are attracted to Patek for their workmanship, history and fine watchmaking.

There are many other watch companies that make chronos in SS and they are a dime a dozen. But very few make double or triple or quadruple complications like Patek.
jon_jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 10:55 PM   #79
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
Love my 5726 and 5205G.
I feel a similar way.

I don't need a stop watch and I find things like GMT redundant because it's quicker to do the math in my head, but I do like the date and I do like the moon phase. The moon phase for tides. It shouldn't really be necessary but for some reason I can never remember where we are in the lunar cycle, perhaps because I'd been so busy in between sails and had my mind on other things, but with a moon phase a quick glance tells me what the moon is doing and I know whether to allow for springs or neaps.

My wrist is a tad over 7.5" and my 5196 looks perfect for a dress watch, and a Nautilus looks perfect, but a round SS sports looking watch might not fly at 38mm.
Old 15 April 2021, 01:38 AM   #80
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
AFAIK Patek has/had a patent for the PC and AC. And Patek is well known for their firsts in the watch industry. Certainly AC and PC are not for everyone. But a lot of people are attracted to Patek for their workmanship, history and fine watchmaking.

There are many other watch companies that make chronos in SS and they are a dime a dozen. But very few make double or triple or quadruple complications like Patek.
Thanks, and thanks to David001. This has been enlightening, I always wondered why anyone would want calendar or moon phase functions and assumed that everyone wanted a chronograph, possibly I was influenced by the hysteria around the Daytona and my own proclivities.
I always found ACs to be interesting, horologically, and there's no doubt that moon phase functions are wonderful and quirky.
Old 15 April 2021, 03:20 PM   #81
David001
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, and thanks to David001. This has been enlightening, I always wondered why anyone would want calendar or moon phase functions and assumed that everyone wanted a chronograph, possibly I was influenced by the hysteria around the Daytona and my own proclivities.
I always found ACs to be interesting, horologically, and there's no doubt that moon phase functions are wonderful and quirky.
It's refreshing that we're all different and want different things.

As a young man I was into motor racing, so a chronograph would have been a good thing to have in the pit lane, perhaps not essential but fun nonetheless.
Similarly with the moon phase for sailing, non essential when I can look tides up instantly on a smart phone, but still nice to have it on my watch.
In an office environment it might be nice to have the day and date at a quick glance.

Combine any (or all) of those with an accurate chronometer and something pleasing to the eye and it can be a nice (and handy) thing to have.
Old 15 April 2021, 09:34 PM   #82
italiafan
"TRF" Member

I need the date since for some reason I can never remember the date and when signing documents I have to glance at the date a dozen times a day! LOL.
The name of the day and month are just mechanical novelties, and I love that the gearing accounts for the whole year except one point at the end of February.
I just like knowing where we are in the lunar cycle, wondering what the light will be like that evening. I too sail but knowing where the moon is has almost no bearing on planning my day sails, I suppose if I were going out for days on end it would be useful.
Chronograph is not something I need, though I do have a Zenith Chronomaster Open XXT with the el primero chronograph (beautiful watch).
GMTand travel time are curious novelties that don’t add any useful information for me.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 09:52 AM   #83
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
It's a shame that many people only see it that way and PP haven't done anything to say otherwise.
It was not a pejorative term from my mouth. :) It "is" a ladies watch because of its reference number.

It is the same with the Nautilus 7118/1A. PP has done everything do "feminise" it (size, waves, shape of the "aiguilles". However the 7118/1A is still super popular among men. :)
When my wife bought one, I had the feeling that the seller was doing everything to ensure that the final wrist for this watch was my wife's and not mine. :)
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 12:51 AM   #84
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The 5326P, 5990/1R, the Calatravas, AC and the 5711 baguette look fabulous in this video.

Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 09:19 PM   #85
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

The new 2021 handcrafts collection is out.

5177G_024_1@2x.jpg

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/rare-handcrafts
Old 16 June 2021, 09:33 PM   #86
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
And that is quite some beauty!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 11:02 PM   #87
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
And that is quite some beauty!
Unbelievable work of art! And they use marquetry to great effect this year. My 2 favourite pieces.

IMG_16062021_210110_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg

IMG_16062021_210100_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg
Old 22 June 2021, 01:13 AM   #88
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Patek just released a 10 min YT video of the rare handcrafts.

Old 22 June 2021, 04:47 AM   #89
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Patek just released a 10 min YT video of the rare handcrafts.

That was great thanks for sharing.
Old 22 June 2021, 04:58 AM   #90
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I don't know what to say about this... Way beyond my level I guess.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote