The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2020, 05:46 AM   #61
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I recommend either of these, why, because I own them. The black dial is a Neptune, rare, and the Calatrava based on the 1930’s original model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2020, 09:48 PM   #62
bogdoc
"TRF" Member

5227j
bogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 02:58 AM   #63
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd57 View Post
Curveball- wanted a Patek dress watch but already had Langes, an FPJ, a UJ and a day-date. And other Pateks (5164R, 5070R, 5905P) None of the Calatravas added much - then I found this.

Highly recommend the 5124J - love mine due to it’s curved case, fitted movement, applied indices and art deco look.

I have just added a 5116G and highly recommend it due to it’s enamel dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 04:09 AM   #64
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'm paying a visit to my local AD next week. They have a NOS 5296G-010 for me to try on.

I don't know what kind of discount to expect on a discontinued NOS piece. Might even need a service, who knows. I like the simplicity of a white gold Calatrava flying under the radar. I also value the practicality of the auto movement and date complication.

Simple, classic, conservative with a modern touch. Such a cool watch to me.

(picture from member timewarped80)qdUpRO8.jpg
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 05:14 AM   #65
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I'm paying a visit to my local AD next week. They have a NOS 5296G-010 for me to try on.

I don't know what kind of discount to expect on a discontinued NOS piece. Might even need a service, who knows. I like the simplicity of a white gold Calatrava flying under the radar. I also value the practicality of the auto movement and date complication.

(picture from member timewarped80)Attachment 1132977
This is the one I previously had and sold. I really regret selling it. Very nice.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 07:31 AM   #66
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It is a nice watch but I did not fall in love when I tried it on many years ago. It felt quite large on my smallish wrists and dare I say a little bland as well. Since I fell for a 3998P which is fairly similar but 34mm instead of 38mm, much less real estate on the dial.

My AD also had a NOS 5296G-010 in his shop window when I visited last year. Not sure if it was discoed because they didn't exactly fly off the shelf or if Patek just wanted to make more money from people having to get the pricier 5227.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 07:42 AM   #67
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
It is a nice watch but I did not fall in love when I tried it on many years ago. It felt quite large on my smallish wrists and dare I say a little bland as well. Since I fell for a 3998P which is fairly similar but 34mm instead of 38mm, much less real estate on the dial.

My AD also had a NOS 5296G-010 in his shop window when I visited last year. Not sure if it was discoed because they didn't exactly fly off the shelf or if Patek just wanted to make more money from people having to get the pricier 5227.
I don't really know why they discontinued it either. Maybe because it was their entry level PM automatic model. Sitting between the more traditional manual 5196 and the modern 5227, to me it was the sweet spot.

I tend to like "boring" models that end up being discontinued. I see timeless elegance in them. Same story with my YM 116622 pt dial, game over 9 months after I bought mine. And a few others. Sooner or later almost everything gets chopped though, bar the super iconic pieces.
Old 10 May 2020, 11:37 AM   #68
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I have a Patek Calatrava 5119j (yellow gold). No longer made. Bought it two or three years ago. Not hard to obtain when I bought it. May be harder now that it is discontinued. Super watch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful watch. I can not figure out why Patek does not make this in a 38 or 39mm size.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 07:32 AM   #69
R.bartlett
Banned

Good day chaps.

Ok so I was heading towards another Rolex and was ready to pull the trigger on a new OP41 I was there in the zone to buy . However something pinged and I've just suddenly have a complete change of heart.. Casting around for many years avoided PP as just not really me. But seeing a couple now I'm thinking hmm maybe just maybe.

So my number 1 choice would be..Calatrava Weekly Calendar 5212A-001. simply a stunning watch. Ticks absolutely every box for me ...except price.
I can afford it, but at this stage I can't justify it so whilst it breaks my heart I have to be realistic.

So in my budget
5296G-001 Mens White Gold 38mm is number 1

Reference number 6000G-001 (although I really would need to see the face colour first tbh)

white gold or Steel (don't like gold coloured watches and ideally a white face with date as a minimum. sporty end of the market , full dress watches are not for me.

My concern is that here on a small island I have no chance of seeing any let alone trying one on.

How do these compare size wise to the/my exp II. I don't want to go smaller on the wrist..

Thanks for any indulgence on this one..(and sorry to lower the tone of the reference pic below )

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (33.1 KB, 244 views)
R.bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 07:47 AM   #70
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.bartlett View Post
Good day chaps.

Ok so I was heading towards another Rolex and was ready to pull the trigger on a new OP41 I was there in the zone to buy . However something pinged and I've just suddenly have a complete change of heart.. Casting around for many years avoided PP as just not really me. But seeing a couple now I'm thinking hmm maybe just maybe.

So my number 1 choice would be..Calatrava Weekly Calendar 5212A-001. simply a stunning watch. Ticks absolutely every box for me ...except price.

I can afford it, but at this stage I can't justify it so whilst it breaks my heart I have to be realistic.

So in my budget

5296G-001 Mens White Gold 38mm is number 1

Reference number 6000G-001 (although I really would need to see the face colour first tbh)

white gold or Steel (don't like gold coloured watches and ideally a white face with date as a minimum. sporty end of the market , full dress watches are not for me.

My concern is that here on a small island I have no chance of seeing any let alone trying one on.

How do these compare size wise to the/my exp II. I don't want to go smaller on the wrist..

Thanks for any indulgence on this one..

Richard
Hi Richard. I tried a 5296G last year at a local AD. It felt kind of small on my 7.2in/18cm wrist, but this is to be expected from a dress watch. I decided to go for a VC Patrimony 40mm instead although the Calatrava is for sure a great looking piece. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I don't have an Exp II but I'm used to wearing 41-44mm divers. Going from one size to the other requires some mental adjustment but you get there eventually. Good luck! Victor
Old 24 June 2021, 11:24 AM   #71
amgdriver63
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex WG 42mm YM
I just traded my 5227 wg for a calatrava pilot travel time. I still highly reccomend the 5227 if a thin dress watch is your thing. In a perfect world I would have kept both. Take a hard look at both of these. My 2 top pics in the Calatrava line. Happy hunting
amgdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 03:17 PM   #72
R.bartlett
Banned

Quote:
Hi Richard. I tried a 5296G last year at a local AD. It felt kind of small on my 7.2in/18cm wrist, but this is to be expected from a dress watch. I decided to go for a VC Patrimony 40mm instead although the Calatrava is for sure a great looking piece. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I don't have an Exp II but I'm used to wearing 41-44mm divers. Going from one size to the other requires some mental adjustment but you get there eventually. Good luck! Victor
Hi Victor
Thanks for the advice.

My local AD is on the next island gran Canaria and as we've just been put back to tier 3 traveling is even worse so going to the shop in the near future could prove tricky however I was hoping to sort something by next month big 6zero but not going to happen.. heyho first world problems

The size is a major concern and it seems a lot of PPs are more dress size than sports but I really don't think I'd get comfortable dropping down much if any .

Hmmm
R.bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 03:41 PM   #73
w220
"TRF" Member

Quote:

(picture from member timewarped80)Attachment 1132977

Hope you didn't buy that one in the picture, because that's a fake! Look at the position of the date window.
w220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 04:39 PM   #74
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i was able to acquire the 5120g japanese exclusive. i chose this over the...forgot the ref but it was with date, dauphine hands, central seconds

the caliber 240 was so special even though it had no seconds or date. and it handled like a large watch.

i dont regret the decision
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 09:14 PM   #75
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w220 View Post
Hope you didn't buy that one in the picture, because that's a fake! Look at the position of the date window.
Thanks for that. No, this was a random picture from the web.