The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 October 2020, 10:52 AM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Battle of the 50th: Snoopy vs. Apollo 11

Say what you will about Buzz's tush, but I must say, the Snoopy is a big miss when comparing the two recent 50th's.

Obviously my own biased opinion, but one looks classy and clean (as clean as a chrono can look), the other just...cartoony with all the blue; hands, indices and strap included. Similar price points, yet one is limited and one is not. One comes on an amazing bracelet, and the other on a fabric strap.

Omega, you never cease to amaze me...in a bad way. I'm not knocking the Snoopy connection, because I think that is very cool. It's the watch itself that gives me pause.

Loving my Apollo 11 50th though. Don't hate me, Omega family!

Old 7 October 2020, 10:56 AM   #2
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

Both are nice. I’m probably biased as well, but prefer the new Snoopy to compliment my collection. Plus, I like the snoopy details, look, and case back complication better .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5D144E58-F1E7-4D9D-858B-7D4D9D03E704.jpeg (172.8 KB, 975 views)
DTNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 10:58 AM   #3
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNSS View Post
Both are nice. I’m probably biased as well, but prefer the new Snoopy to compliment my collection. Plus, I like the snoopy details, look, and case back complication better .
We can definitely agree to disagree!

That's the great thing about watch collecting as a whole - what fits in my collection won't necessarily fit in everyone else's; I like that we can look at it from different perspectives. Glad that the Snoopy is the one that fits into your collection!
Old 7 October 2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Trog
Banned

When I first saw the new Snoops, I thought is was a joke....I have yet to change my mind.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 11:04 AM   #5
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

Btw, that’s not me wearing it in pic. I wish. I have to wait 3-6 months
DTNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 11:54 AM   #6
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Prefer the Snoopy. It’s cleaner, bolder, and somehow also more classic. My collection is also missing something blue. Thinking about this as a birth year watch for my incoming son in Q1 2021. I could see myself showing him the case back complication one day (and him hopefully liking it).
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 12:01 PM   #7
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Say what you will about Buzz's tush, but I must say, the Snoopy is a big miss when comparing the two recent 50th's.

Obviously my own biased opinion, but one looks classy and clean (as clean as a chrono can look), the other just...cartoony with all the blue; hands, indices and strap included. Similar price points, yet one is limited and one is not. One comes on an amazing bracelet, and the other on a fabric strap.

Omega, you never cease to amaze me...in a bad way. I'm not knocking the Snoopy connection, because I think that is very cool. It's the watch itself that gives me pause.

Actually, my opinion is the exact opposite. I never really was interested in any speedy but the new one is pretty spectacular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 12:23 PM   #8
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

I think the two watches are just completely different and hard to compare. I know they’re both 50th editions, but again just so different.

I had the chance to get an Apollo 11 - but I just don’t like the gold accents and buzz’s butt at all. So the watch design is just a no go for me. Also for some reason, Buzz Aldrin and Apollo 11 just never resonated with me that much. Maybe because he wasn’t actually the first person on the moon and it seems more like manufactured marketing. Maybe it was how Buzz Aldrin was portrayed in First Man. I don’t know.

Snoppy on the other hand. Apollo 13 mission becoming a life saving endeavor, the technical issues that occurred during the mission, and most importantly the critical role that the Speedmaster played. I’m actually not a “Snoopy” comic fan at all, but I just love what Snoopy stands for. It’s straight from NASA, and it’s whimsical and fun but at the same time can be very serious as it represents flight safety for something as technical as NASA. The engineer (and probably nerd) in me just loves it.
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 03:54 PM   #9
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
The snoopy is not for me - I’m not a huge fan of white and silver watches but it’s nice. I’ll stick with my Apollo 11 which works better for me.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 04:29 PM   #10
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I am on the other end of the spectrum for this watch. Put a deposit down yesterday. Will share pics when I have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 04:50 PM   #11
Watchamatician
"TRF" Member

I disagree OP, I think the Snoopy is cleaner and more daring. It's something genuinely special, particularly with that caseback. Blue is kind of cliche, but it works well with the silver dial.

I love the bracelet on the Apollo11, but aside from that, not feeling it. The gold definitely isn't to my taste.

Having said all that, I haven't seen the snoopy in the flesh.
Watchamatician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 05:09 PM   #12
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Snoopy is pretty cool! Especially with the case back
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 05:11 PM   #13
rolex01
"TRF" Member

I love everything about the execution on the new blue panda snoppy and only love is the bracelet on Apollo 11.
rolex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 05:47 PM   #14
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
It’s awesome how everyone has their opinions on this.

Both are great watches with a lot of history behind (no pun intended) each one. As far as history goes I love the role that the Speedmaster played in the Apollo 13 mission.

Aesthetically they are very different as well. The 11 is bold and classy. The 13 is a little more fun and flashy. Just my opinion of course. I already have a black speedmaster with gold accents, the Tokyo 2020ne. I love how the blue and silver look in the photos.

I’m over the moon with the caseback of the Snoopy. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

I generally like watches with straps and I really like the look of this strap. But if you ever want to switch it with a bracelet...

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 07:13 PM   #15
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
It’s awesome how everyone has their opinions on this.

Both are great watches with a lot of history behind (no pun intended) each one. As far as history goes I love the role that the Speedmaster played in the Apollo 13 mission.

Aesthetically they are very different as well. The 11 is bold and classy. The 13 is a little more fun and flashy. Just my opinion of course. I already have a black speedmaster with gold accents, the Tokyo 2020ne. I love how the blue and silver look in the photos.

I’m over the moon with the caseback of the Snoopy. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

I generally like watches with straps and I really like the look of this strap. But if you ever want to switch it with a bracelet...

Very nice. I am not a big bracelet fan but I would try the right one for sure

Wish they made the watch and strap in Ti!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 09:19 PM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Oh I much prefer the Snoopy over the Apollo 11. The 11 was a big miss as far as I am concerned. I really wanted to love this watch. I was born in 1969 so there was another reason I really wanted it. But that 9 subdial is just hideous and I still don't really dig the gold accents.

The Snoopy has its problems too, but the watch is much more striking and pleasing to the eye than the Apollo 11. They managed to make the Silver Snoopy both historical as a 50th anniversary piece and fun with the animated case back. The blue and white just work better than the mix of black, grey and gold on the Apollo.

Between these two I'm definitely going with Snoopy.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 09:30 PM   #17
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I fell in love w this latest snoopy when they released it few days back, that blue just pops on with them silver dial along with the very creative case back. I added my name to a local AD so will see when I get the call, now I’m thinking I might sell off my PAM111 to keep it at a total of 6 watches. Lol.
Old 7 October 2020, 10:58 PM   #18
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Both make me gag.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 11:04 PM   #19
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Battle of the 50th: Snoopy vs. Apollo 11

Our watch hobby should be fun as well and Snoopy does that, playful all the way front and back, love it!!

Don’t get me wrong, I have the 11 50th as well and it’s an amazing piece

This seems pretty unique to me though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 11:08 PM   #20
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Both make me gag.
Kick this man OUT!!
Old 7 October 2020, 11:09 PM   #21
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Well the comparison is apples to oranges. A very sporty watch to one that isn't any where near as sporty. And that's for starters. Therefore IMO it's not fair to make such a comparison.

At least put the 50-Snoopy on a SS bracelet. Then we could start having that discussion.

I wish Omega would've offered it with BOTH bracelets (canvas & SS). Would've been the smart thing to do.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 11:18 PM   #22
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
Well the comparison is apples to oranges. A very sporty watch to one that isn't any where near as sporty. And that's for starters. Therefore IMO it's not fair to make such a comparison.

At least put the 50-Snoopy on a SS bracelet. Then we could start having that discussion.

I wish Omega would've offered it with BOTH bracelets (canvas & SS). Would've been the smart thing to do.
I don't disagree with you there, especially at the price point.
Old 7 October 2020, 11:18 PM   #23
Easy E

Quote:
Kick this man OUT!!
No, no it's cool. I'll take my little hesalite speedy and show myself out. I mean if ya'll want to dig on the gagomatic 6000 collection, who am I to judge? I'm headed back to the Rolex section where I'll be more appreciated.
Old 7 October 2020, 11:27 PM   #24
JParm

Quote:
No, no it's cool. I'll take my little hesalite speedy and show myself out. I mean if ya'll want to dig on the gagomatic 6000 collection, who am I to judge? I'm headed back to the Rolex section where I'll be more appreciated.
Haha - I kid, I kid.

I'm not much of an Omega guy, but do find a few of their pieces worthwhile.
Old 7 October 2020, 11:27 PM   #25
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My guess is JPeezy was having a little fun. Let's all lighten up here.
Old 7 October 2020, 11:33 PM   #26
Easy E

Quote:
Haha - I kid, I kid.

I'm not much of an Omega guy, but do find a few of their pieces worthwhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
My guess is JPeezy was having a little fun. Let's all lighten up here.
I totally got his where he was coming from. It's all good, I too was just joking around.
Old 8 October 2020, 12:22 AM   #27
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I totally got his where he was coming from. It's all good, I too was just joking around.
Old 8 October 2020, 12:25 AM   #28
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Stupid question for everyone. Of course we may never know the answer.

But why did Omega choose a canvas bracelet instead of SS? The smarta$$ answer is bc Omega did this so that many buyers will plunk down the $850 for the SS bracelet. That's too easy of answer, I think.
Old 8 October 2020, 12:33 AM   #29
NYFatboy99
Banned

Watch: Daydate
Quote:

I'm just all about Rolex but this Omega here is simply stunning...
NYFatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 12:33 AM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Prefer the 50th as does my wife. You get a strap and bracelet, plus some really nice extras too such as the Lunar Lander, mission patches, etc. There is also a golden pin, and golden pen, and golden Astronaut statues :)

Hopefully ADs include (or at a minimum have in stock) the bracelet for the Snoopy, as it really is amazingly comfortable. Is OMEGA going to include Snoopy dolls with astronaut outfits or ????

Speedmaster_Face_Lander.jpg

Speedmaster_Moonwatch_Wrist.jpg

Speedmaster_Watch_Box.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote