The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 June 2021, 07:37 PM   #1
ROA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
5196R at retail or preowned?

Would you purchase a 5196R at retail now? Or would you patiently wait for a full set mint preowned piece (>15-20% less?), or a bnib from chrono24 (10% less?). I have looked at previous posts and it seems in the last 5 yrs or so the consensus is to buy used. Wondering if this has changed? Have made up my mind on the 5196. No short to medium term plans of buying hard to get pcs. Not considering the 6119, 5227, 5119 or the previous iterations. Would be grateful if you can briefly explain your choice. For those who purchased from ADs, what was the main driver? Thanks a lot!
ROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Do u need ur name on the warranty card? If yes, AD. If no, grey.

I went with an AD for my not hard to get piece as i wanted my name on the card when it eventually gets passed to my son and hopefully grandson
Old 16 June 2021, 12:37 AM   #3
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
AD only
Old 16 June 2021, 01:48 AM   #4
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
5196R at retail or preowned?

Easy choice for me. If I am looking for a hard to get piece I am willing to pay a little extra to my AD if they will help me in acquiring that hard to get piece.

If you have absolutely no intention of acquiring anything else such as an aquanaut, nautilus or any hard to get pieces, save some money and go preowned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 01:59 AM   #5
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
As some of the other members mentioned, is the name on the paper more important to you or getting the best price on the watch?

Value wise, the 5196 will always be cheaper on the secondary market be it BNIB or used. If there are no extra factors like AD relationships for future pieces, name on the paper, etc. it would be smarter to save the cash.

I also doubt buying a lonely 5196 is going to move the needle on securing some of the more sought after pieces.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 02:55 AM   #6
Robine
Banned

5196s are creeping up to AD prices even if preowned.

Same goes for Neptunes, quartz PPs and other "collectibles".

Asking prices, that is.
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 05:19 AM   #7
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
To have a piece of mind, go with AD and negotiate a discount.
i like the yellow gold piece....it ages well
Old 16 June 2021, 07:39 AM   #8
ROA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
Do u need ur name on the warranty card? If yes, AD. If no, grey.

I went with an AD for my not hard to get piece as i wanted my name on the card when it eventually gets passed to my son and hopefully grandson
Thanks, makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
AD only
Thanks. I assume this is to have your name on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Easy choice for me. If I am looking for a hard to get piece I am willing to pay a little extra to my AD if they will help me in acquiring that hard to get piece.

If you have absolutely no intention of acquiring anything else such as an aquanaut, nautilus or any hard to get pieces, save some money and go preowned.

Yes, no intentions of acquiring the hard to get pieces. Hopefully I can find an excellent pre-owned example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
As some of the other members mentioned, is the name on the paper more important to you or getting the best price on the watch?

Value wise, the 5196 will always be cheaper on the secondary market be it BNIB or used. If there are no extra factors like AD relationships for future pieces, name on the paper, etc. it would be smarter to save the cash.

I also doubt buying a lonely 5196 is going to move the needle on securing some of the more sought after pieces.
I agree, the 5196 won’t get you anywhere close to a sought after piece. Am leaning towards BNIB or preowned from a trusted seller for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robine View Post
5196s are creeping up to AD prices even if preowned.

Same goes for Neptunes, quartz PPs and other "collectibles".

Asking prices, that is.
I noticed as well that asking prices especially for BNIB are slowly rising. But as some members have shared, might be smarter to save some $ in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
To have a piece of mind, go with AD and negotiate a discount.
i like the yellow gold piece....it ages well
Torn between J and R but the R wins by a small margin. Unfortunately discounts on the Calatrava at the AD i contacted is a measly 2.5%…
Old 16 June 2021, 02:01 PM   #9
Robine
Banned

R is fashionable right now, Y is timeless.
Old 17 June 2021, 12:11 AM   #10
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post

Yes, no intentions of acquiring the hard to get pieces. Hopefully I can find an excellent pre-owned example.
Not just name, peace of mind and getting a brand new watch.

Also I noted you have no intentions of acquiring hard to get pieces. Hmmm you might go pre-owned market but with Patek you do want some hard pieces later on :) Pateks are addictive
Old 17 June 2021, 12:11 AM   #11
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

R for sure.
Rose Gold
Old 17 June 2021, 01:38 AM   #12
ROA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not just name, peace of mind and getting a brand new watch.

Also I noted you have no intentions of acquiring hard to get pieces. Hmmm you might go pre-owned market but with Patek you do want some hard pieces later on :) Pateks are addictive
Thanks. Hopefully I do not get addicted Agree that the experience of getting a brand new watch (plus name and full warranty) is joyful and this is mainly causing the dilemma. Based on chrono24, the 5196R is strangely moving up (thus narrowing down price difference vs AD). Am almost convinced to go the AD route after all…
Old 17 June 2021, 01:48 AM   #13
ROA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmmm am not sure that R is just fashionable right now, otherwise that is already such a long time being in fashion. Believe it will remain a staple.

Quote:
R for sure.
Rose Gold
Am with you on this. Both are beautiful but imo the R is the subtler and more elegant of the two.
Old 17 June 2021, 03:45 AM   #14
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Have you tried on the 5196R at the local AD? Do you like how it looks on your wrist? Are you ok with a manual wind watch? Are you ok with not having a display caseback?

General considerations of buying at AD vs pre-owned: does the pre-owned come with box and paper? How much price difference is there? When was the original sale date of the pre-owned watch and does it have any warranty leftover? With condition, has it been serviced or polished? If serviced, who serviced it and when? There are a lot more variables with buying pre-owned. If it is only a couple thousand $/€/£, sometimes piece of mind getting from an AD is worth it.

I own the 5196P amongst other Calatravas and other Patek watches. It is a nice classic Calatrava with the seconds subdial at the 6 o'clock position. Whichever way you decide to go, enjoy your new upcoming watch
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 06:08 AM   #15
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Have you tried on the 5196R at the local AD? Do you like how it looks on your wrist? Are you ok with a manual wind watch? Are you ok with not having a display caseback?

General considerations of buying at AD vs pre-owned: does the pre-owned come with box and paper? How much price difference is there? When was the original sale date of the pre-owned watch and does it have any warranty leftover? With condition, has it been serviced or polished? If serviced, who serviced it and when? There are a lot more variables with buying pre-owned. If it is only a couple thousand $/€/£, sometimes piece of mind getting from an AD is worth it.

I own the 5196P amongst other Calatravas and other Patek watches. It is a nice classic Calatrava with the seconds subdial at the 6 o'clock position. Whichever way you decide to go, enjoy your new upcoming watch
Thanks for sharing. Good info!
Old 17 June 2021, 06:29 AM   #16
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Am with you on this. Both are beautiful but imo the R is the subtler and more elegant of the two.
Agree and prefer its silver dial over the opaline of the J. I don't mind a solid case back and despite the small movement I prefer the 5196 over the new 6119. Personally I might go 5096J as the 5196R wore a little large on my 6.6 inch wrists for a simple dress watch (ended up going 3998P many years ago).
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 02:01 PM   #17
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I would go AD just for peace of mind. Yes, there are plenty of trusted sellers where you can save a few thousand (Davod SW) has one now.
But for the amount you are spending, for me, it’s worth knowing it is straight from Patek.
Maybe you have no intention of buying anything hot now, but what if something you like comes out later. At least you’ll have a relationship.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 02:42 PM   #18
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

AD only
lovewatches1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:55 PM   #19
Becweb
Banned

AD only for me as well, especially if you are not planning on purchasing a multitude of watches down the line.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 07:08 PM   #20
ROA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you tried on the 5196R at the local AD? Do you like how it looks on your wrist?

General considerations of buying at AD vs pre-owned: does the pre-owned come with box and paper? How much price difference is there? When was the original sale With condition, has it been serviced or polished?
Yes, tried it on and R suits me better. Did a bit of research as well and thanks for the detailed reminders, I appreciate it Was hoping to find a newer example (maybe less than 3 years?) or even BNIB from trusted sellers. Looking at chrono24, BNIB price is not too much of a difference. For older preowned 2015 and below, price difference is quite substantial (25%+). Congrats on your P!
Old 17 June 2021, 07:10 PM   #21
ROA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Agree and prefer its silver dial over the opaline of the J. I don't mind a solid case back and despite the small movement I prefer the 5196 over the new 6119. Personally I might go 5096J as the 5196R wore a little large on my 6.6 inch wrists for a simple dress watch (ended up going 3998P many years ago).
100% my thoughts! I love the more subtle dial color. Fwiw, we have the same wrist size and the 5196 is just nice. Give it another chance and try it on…
Old 17 June 2021, 07:18 PM   #22
ROA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
I would go AD just for peace of mind. Yes, there are plenty of trusted sellers where you can save a few thousand (Davod SW) has one now.
But for the amount you are spending, for me, it’s worth knowing it is straight from Patek.
Maybe you have no intention of buying anything hot now, but what if something you like comes out later. At least you’ll have a relationship.
With an older example, price diff can run to 5k +/-. That is a lot of cash savings (or a new Tudor chrono lol). It will of course come with some worry as @jon_jon has pointed out. Thanks for sharing your views.
Old 17 June 2021, 10:39 PM   #23
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With an older example, price diff can run to 5k +/-. That is a lot of cash savings (or a new Tudor chrono lol). It will of course come with some worry as @jon_jon has pointed out. Thanks for sharing your views.
If there is a 5k price difference, another consideration is to purchase pre-owned and send it to Patek for a service. You will wait a few months for the service depending on where it is serviced, but standard service on a manual wind watch should be less than 1k unless it needs a lot of parts replacement.

After a Patek service, you should get a 2 year service warranty.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 11:02 PM   #24
ROA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If there is a 5k price difference, another consideration is to purchase pre-owned and send it to Patek for a service. You will wait a few months for the service depending on where it is serviced, but standard service on a manual wind watch should be less than 1k unless it needs a lot of parts replacement.

After a Patek service, you should get a 2 year service warranty.
That was what I was thinking too. Not a bad proposition as long as it is from a trusted seller.
Old 17 June 2021, 11:14 PM   #25
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
To me, if you save less than 5%, I would go with the boutique/AD for a peace of mind and have some relationship with them.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 11:41 PM   #26
ROA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
To me, if you save less than 5%, I would go with the boutique/AD for a peace of mind and have some relationship with them.
Yes. 5% is a good threshold particularly for BNIB. Challenge is in finding it though as they don’t come by so often.
Old 18 June 2021, 09:25 AM   #27
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I might be wrong but aren't these trading around 17-19k USD? How does that compare to MSRP (I don't follow MSRP as CAD prices always throws it off for me with currency exchanges involved)?

I agree with the 5% +/- would be my threshold.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 02:43 PM   #28
Robine
Banned

The spread has become very narrow.

Will the 5196 become the next 5711?
Old 19 June 2021, 12:44 PM   #29
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Thanks, makes sense

I agree, the 5196 won’t get you anywhere close to a sought after piece. Am leaning towards BNIB or preowned from a trusted seller for now.

I noticed as well that asking prices especially for BNIB are slowly rising. But as some members have shared, might be smarter to save some $ in this case.

Torn between J and R but the R wins by a small margin. Unfortunately discounts on the Calatrava at the AD i contacted is a measly 2.5%…

2.5% sounds not much of a discount, are there other ADs near by?

Old 19 June 2021, 01:11 PM   #30
ROA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I might be wrong but aren't these trading around 17-19k USD? How does that compare to MSRP (I don't follow MSRP as CAD prices always throws it off for me with currency exchanges involved)?

I agree with the 5% +/- would be my threshold.
MSRP is USD24.6K. 5% for BNIB or still under warranty sounds reasonable. For older examples, your estimation above is correct so >20%

Quote:
The spread has become very narrow.

Will the 5196 become the next 5711?
Spread for BNIB is narrow. But pretty wide for older examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
2.5% sounds not much of a discount, are there other ADs near by?

Exactly. Unfortunately none, which is why am taking my time to find a preowned piece. Hopefully NOS or less than 3yrs perhaps.