The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2017, 11:09 PM   #61
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
of course! Rolex came out with this watch to commemorate his achievement. Cameron couldn't possibly wear a watch that was meant to do that. It's like asking the Cubs to wear the World Series Champ ring before they won.
Thats not correct at all. The dive had years of engineering design and pre planning. The event was calculated and equipment made- including a very thick black dialed Deep Sea watch. And reading between the lines, that was a last minute afterthought as well. If you believe it only took a few weeks to make it where we've previously been led to believe with the Depp Sea marketing it took ages to design because of the pressures involved.

https://www.rolex.com/science-and-ex...challenge.html

Someone or a team winning an event is a possibility with preparation done but the outcome is still up for the other side to succeed.

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2017, 11:12 PM   #62
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Because this the SD43 just hard to beat. For me the shape of the D Blue was just out of proportion and felt awkward. While the blue face drew me in initially, the novelty wore off quickly and just seemed burdensome when on, and I'm used to big 43-44 watches.

Superb pic. Thank you.

www.cheetah.org
Old 5 November 2017, 11:37 PM   #63
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
Thats not correct at all. The dive had years of engineering design and pre planning. The event was calculated and equipment made- including a very thick black dialed Deep Sea watch. And reading between the lines, that was a last minute afterthought as well. If you believe it only took a few weeks to make it where we've previously been led to believe with the Depp Sea marketing it took ages to design because of the pressures involved.

Someone or a team winning an event is a possibility with preparation done but the outcome is still up for the other side to succeed.
Tony-GB

You did not understand what I was saying at all. I understand the Black dial DSSD was built and design before the dive. It wasn't designed for that dive at all. I am not talking about the design of the watch at all. I am talking about the D-BLUE dial. When did Rolex come out with the D-blue watch? When did the dive happened? Are you telling me that ROLEX was pre-selling those watches before James Cameron even made the dive?
No way.

For example. 991 porsche came out in 2013. This special Mexican edition came out 2017. Same car, subtle changes. To celebrate something special. Just like the watch. http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/11/...Trump-7736459/
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 12:17 AM   #64
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Tony-GB

You did not understand what I was saying at all. I understand the Black dial DSSD was built and design before the dive. It wasn't designed for that dive at all. I am not talking about the design of the watch at all. I am talking about the D-BLUE dial. When did Rolex come out with the D-blue watch? When did the dive happened? Are you telling me that ROLEX was pre-selling those watches before James Cameron even made the dive?
No way.

For example. 991 porsche came out in 2013. This special Mexican edition came out 2017. Same car, subtle changes. To celebrate something special. Just like the watch. http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/11/...Trump-7736459/
Thanks for the reply.

www.cheetah.org
Old 6 November 2017, 02:29 AM   #65
XZACM102
"TRF" Member

It was easy decision for me. I bought D-Blue because of:
1. The story

2. The dial

3.The ingenieering
XZACM102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 02:30 AM   #66
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZACM1001 View Post
It was easy decision for me. I bought D-Blue because of:
1. The story

2. The dial

3.The ingenieering
Love the pics. What a watch and what a story.
I just Home they discontinue it soon lol
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 03:28 AM   #67
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

SD43 for me, it's a beautiful watch with new movement. Imo it's an 50th anv watch and will follow the 50th anv sub. It will go well with my 50th anv Sub too. Going back in time, would you get that 50th Anv Sub brand new from an AD for less $5K MSRP? Here your chance to get a brandnew SD 50th anv in your name at the AD
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 07:05 AM   #68
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
Both are great. I chose the SD43 because of the proportions of the case and bracelet and how well it wore compared to the DSSD. I didn't find the DSSD that comfortable.

Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 07:54 AM   #69
dberman3
"TRF" Member

SD43 for me for the same reasons already mentioned in previous posts... I really like the proportions of the watch and it’s a very comfortable watch to wear. That said, I took off the divers link (we live in FL and I gave up diving w a suit after getting certified in a blizzard in Syracuse in ‘88) and the watch is soooo much more comfortable now. It’s just a great watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dberman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 11:01 AM   #70
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
New movement and better overall balance and feel swings it for the SD43 for me.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 11:22 AM   #71
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
43 for sure!
Sublovin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 09:19 PM   #72
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Both great watches.
Whichever wears better.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 09:40 PM   #73
efti
Banned

Watch: Batman,SubC & LMPO
DSSD is not comfortable for my 7,25'' wrist, too tall and too thick with "thin" bracelet... SD43 is the way to go if you ask me!
efti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 11:48 PM   #74
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

FWIW, even James Cameron only wears a 16610 every day.

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 12:03 AM   #75
GfromMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
I would pick SD43.
GfromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 12:09 AM   #76
arizonapaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: All 3 Sea-Dwellers
Touch choice, but if it's just one the sd43.
I have both and it's a tough decision at times.
If they have the red writing for just one year then it's really a slam dunk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rolex TT Sub-
Rolex SD4000
Omega Ploprof 1200 m
Panerai 510
Panerai 785 set-NIB
Rolex Airking
arizonapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 05:53 PM   #77
binarycache
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The SD43 for wear-ability and comfort. The DSSD is just too darn thick, though it probably looks cooler!
binarycache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:31 PM   #78
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
In our part of the world, the SD43 costs around US$2k more than the DSSD Dblue.

I've tried on both. If money were no object, I would go for the SD43. It's thinner, lighter and it's a commemorative anniversary piece. So win, win and win.
Godfather111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 03:51 PM   #79
Geobb43
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 , 116610LV,
Deep sea James Cameron looks special. SD 50 anniversary is just a bigger size sub.
Geobb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 04:11 PM   #80
Spartan1
"TRF" Member

While D-Blue is a rarely seen novelty, which has become somewhat of anomaly to the Rolex family of timepieces, the SD43 will go down as a well engineered marvel with classic pedigree.
Spartan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 02:56 PM   #81
jrt8711
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600,116500ln
I will choose SD43, more comfortable & balance.
jrt8711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 10:35 PM   #82
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Having my fair share of ludicrously thick extreme divers, I wanted something more slender and easier on the eye and the wrist. The SD43 to me personally is the closest thing to perfection and the most beautiful Rolex diver ever made, with the 14060M a close second.

I don’t particularly like the ring lock of the DeepBlue and I'm not a fan of the colour gradation and the vivid green lettering either. But really what bothers me the most is how it came to life, the afterthought as Tony-GB pointed out. No one would buy the black DSSD so Rolex came up with a new dial and tied it to the James Cameron dive to try and make the DSSD more appealing. Fabricated association IMHO and a redial on a large scale. I have much more respect towards the DSSD for that reason and find the Deepblue dial a marketing gimmick. No disrespect to those who like it and/or own it. Whether it's the DSSD or the Deepblue, we're still talking about a fantastic technical achievement, the highest in the Rolex professional range available to the general public.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 12:59 AM   #83
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
I am coming up on bonus time at work. I want to add another Rolex and I have narrowed it down to these two watches. Right now I am leaning towards the James Cameron D-Blue. Please offer you thoughts on one vs the other and why. Thanks in advance.

D-Blue SD vs SD43 50th Anniversary

Ok go...

Cheers,
Bryant

Hi I have tried both on and personally I preferred the D-Blue, they are both comfortable in my option it’s all down to your own personal taste. Whether you like the latest specification or the unique bezel design of the Deep Sea. Whichever you pick they are great watches. Happy hunting
Ad11wrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 10:11 PM   #84
Birder
"TRF" Member

I bought D-blue last week after waiting for it for more than a year. You wont believe how beautiful the dial is unless you see it in different lighting conditions to appreciate the depth of its colors. I also tried on SD43 but wasnt convicnced as I didnt find it too dramatically different than my all black GMT. I have little 6.75" wrists and thought that DSSD D-Blue may not suit my lil wrists. I wore it and instantantly fell in love with that beautiful dial, and now wearing it each day for how amazing it is!
Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 11:29 PM   #85
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
The "D-Blue" is a marketing exercise to reinvent a slow seller. It's an afterthought. The black dial was used to go down the Mariana Trench and it was a black dial Cameron wore.

Isn’t the Explorer the same thing, a marketing exercise? Mountains to the top first, Explorer was not (in my best Yoda voice). All joking aside, the DBlue has my money between it and this SD... Now make is a vintage SD and then my choice could very well change.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:23 AM   #86
Clay
Banned

I have never owned either...But I find it interesting that no one seems to mind the fact that they put a "Cyclops" on a Sea Dweller...

Pure sacrilege in my humble opinion...

And I am surprised that there is no mention of the original Black dialed Deepsea...Which would be my personal preference...

Am I out in the cold here...???

Well...I am going to an AD today to try these rascals on and see for myself...

Wish me luck...

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:33 AM   #87
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I have the D-Blue so I’m a little biased and that would get my vote.

Otherwise, BMW M3 or M5? The cost difference is academic at that price; you want the extra metal for a few bucks more?

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 01:28 AM   #88
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Having owned both for quite a while now I can say with 100% certainty that if I was forced to choose, the D-Blue is the one.
I do love everything about the 126600 but the D-Blue just feels and looks more special. Yes, over engineered, thick, big, disproportionate bracelet, blah, blah, blah... It all works just perfect for me. The things some complain about are actually the things that draw me to the DSSD.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 06:57 AM   #89
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Having owned both for quite a while now I can say with 100% certainty that if I was forced to choose, the D-Blue is the one.
I do love everything about the 126600 but the D-Blue just feels and looks more special. Yes, over engineered, thick, big, disproportionate bracelet, blah, blah, blah... It all works just perfect for me. The things some complain about are actually the things that draw me to the DSSD.
Agree the D-Blue is spectacular
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 07:07 AM   #90
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I own a regular Deep Sea so I’m a bit biased. The SD 43 just looks like a Sub with a bezel that’s a bit too big. Now, I have not seen the SD 43 in person so that opinion could change but I have seen the Deep Blue and it left me drooling just a little. I’d have to vote for the Deep Blue now and the SD 43 later because...you want one of those too!
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote