The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 8 March 2020, 10:54 AM   #1051
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Those are interesting articles.

The WSJ is a useful primer for anyone wanting a good overview.

The NYT leaves open a question. That is, all cultures eat wild creatures of some sort; why don’t bats in other parts of the world transfer novel coronaviruses to intermediate hosts? (except for camels in the Middle East).

Here in US, deer, waterfowl, antelope and other wild animals are hunted, processed and eaten. They live in regions with plenty of bats. Why haven’t those sources of wild meat become intermediate hosts?

Same is true in the rest of the Americas, Europe, Africa and Australia.

It’s a curiosity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 8 March 2020, 11:09 AM   #1052
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,

It is a curiosity. Maybe the answer is more simple than we realize, that there are certain animals, wild or otherwise, that are meant to be eaten by humans and some that are not.

I predict that very soon we will have the data/science to back up which animals humans can eat and which we cannot. Until we can scientifically prove it, then it remains “cultural” or religious preference. It’s just a matter of time as we crack genetic codes, use data science, powerful machine learning algorithms, which can presumably create a risk score for every type of creature that someone somewhere wants to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2020, 02:02 PM   #1053
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Yup, Italy locking down 16 million including their baseline industrial region until April (1-month) is surely media hype. Come on guys. They're doing this for reasons we don't understand yet. Rumors of revised 4% death rate and R0 of 3.5 to 6 is pretty alarming. Who the hell really knows what is going on but we are going to see this repeating all over the world. The media isn't driving lawmaker design making.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 8 March 2020, 02:14 PM   #1054
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
My 76 year old dad with massive heart issues and bigger respiratory issues is out and about.

I just called to say hello. He and my mother are out with a group getting dinner. Sounded packed.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 8 March 2020, 02:19 PM   #1055
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
My 76 year old dad with massive heart issues and bigger respiratory issues is out and about.

I just called to say hello. He and my mother are out with a group getting dinner. Sounded packed.
It seems we need to protect our elders and its going to be up to us to help with that. I'm also concerned about my mum who is 70. It's going to be months (or less?) before its that wide spread. Hell, this thing could just literally die out overnight. I'm seriously more concerned about the economical impact though. I don't want bread lines and government handouts.

PS we went out to dinner and it was awesome. Not as upbeat as Jersey because we have cases here in SF, I think 12 now lol.

Old 8 March 2020, 02:22 PM   #1056
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Yup, Italy locking down 16 million including their baseline industrial region until April (1-month) is surely media hype. Come on guys. They're doing this for reasons we don't understand yet. Rumors of revised 4% death rate and R0 of 3.5 to 6 is pretty alarming. Who the hell really knows what is going on but we are going to see this repeating all over the world. The media isn't driving lawmaker design making.
Sadly, that’s a useless gesture.

If one person still has it after the lockdown, the spread will happen all over again.

Unless the brains involved come up with a vaccine this virus isn’t going to go away. If one person has it, it’ll spread again.

Imo, best bet is let it run its course while finding the cure.

Old 8 March 2020, 02:24 PM   #1057
77T

The FIS Alpine Ski World Cup Finals were canceled - scheduled for March 16-22 at Corrina d’Ampezzo, in Northern Italy. So many have contracted COVID-19 there that it is surprising.

For those that aren’t ski oriented, it’s like the Super Bowl of international skiing.

Old 8 March 2020, 02:25 PM   #1058
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It seems we need to protect our elders and its going to be up to us to help with that. I'm also concerned about my mum who is 70. It's going to be months (or less?) before its that wide spread. Hell, this thing could just literally die out overnight. I'm seriously more concerned about the economical impact though. I don't want bread lines and government handouts.

PS we went out to dinner and it was awesome. Not as upbeat as Jersey because we have cases here in SF, I think 12 now lol.
Agree completely.

It’s the economic fallout that will really determine how bad this is.

Crazy times.

And fwiw, I went to a buddies bday party in the city tonight. Easiest and and out I’ve ever had. Cuomo declared state of emergency today. Seeing the ripple effects here too.

Old 8 March 2020, 02:26 PM   #1059
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Still unable to cure the flu right?

I wonder if this has a cure.

Old 8 March 2020, 02:29 PM   #1060
Laszlo

Quote:
Sadly, that’s a useless gesture.

If one person still has it after the lockdown, the spread will happen all over again.

Unless the brains involved come up with a vaccine this virus isn’t going to go away. If one person has it, it’ll spread again.

Imo, best bet is let it run its course while finding the cure.
Agree but these lawmakers know this. They have the best minds in the world behind the math. It would have been easy to blend this into the seasonal flu stats. No questions asked. It's fairly obvious this is deeper. Who knows. But there's something amiss. It doesn't add up. The funny thing is last month I said the same thing. Just let it run its course. It makes complete sense. If it's just the flu or cold as they say. Burning currency surely doesn't sound good.

Old 8 March 2020, 02:32 PM   #1061
77T

Quote:
Still unable to cure the flu right?

I wonder if this has a cure.

I don’t think a cure is in the cards, but a vaccine for this new coronavirus will help the most vulnerable.

They do develop vaccines that fight the flu - and if flu didn’t mutate, you’d not see it anymore.

Had Polio, Smallpox, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Tetanus, etc been able to mutate, we’d be in a similar spot with those diseases.

The thing that’s amazing here in US, only 30-40% get flu shots each year.

Old 8 March 2020, 03:45 PM   #1062
Laszlo

Another note that crossed my mind is doctors on the front line are reporting up on the autopsies and seeing the incredible damage this virus is causing. The lawmakers are reacting to the data. Not the fear.

Old 8 March 2020, 04:02 PM   #1063
77T

Good point about the lung damage caused to the ones who succumbed.

But some recent research, if accurate, notes that even asymptomatic people testing positive still get lung damage.

From the study...
“In new research developments, a team from Wuhan, China, reports that even asymptomatic patients with COVID-19 pneumonia have abnormal lung findings on computed tomography (CT), and a group from Beijing noted that viral loads from infected patients appear to peak 5 to 6 days after symptom onset.”

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...-loads-patient

Old 8 March 2020, 04:15 PM   #1064
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

But some recent research, if accurate, notes that even asymptomatic people testing positive still get lung damage.

From the study...
“In new research developments, a team from Wuhan, China, reports that even asymptomatic patients with COVID-19 pneumonia have abnormal lung findings on computed tomography (CT), and a group from Beijing noted that viral loads from infected patients appear to peak 5 to 6 days after symptom onset.”

How can a patient with viral pneumonia caused by this virus be classed as asymptomatic?

Old 8 March 2020, 04:17 PM   #1065
Laszlo

Quote:

From the study...

Yes, this is true along with neurological damage... that you and I had discussed previously. Although most narratives have been around the elderly, those who have recovered, young and old can have long term ailments and damage to the heart, lung, kidney and brain.

Old 8 March 2020, 04:18 PM   #1066
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
I work for one of the largest consulting firms in the world, we make our money by traveling to client sites and providing advice, on-site. We just suspended all international and domestic (US) travel “unless critical” in which case would still require many levels of approval. This will definitely adversely affect our business and our clients who are companies and governments around the world.

They also told us we cannot attend any meeting that has 50 or more people, anywhere, internal or external. All group training cancelled too.

50 people with this virus could pass a temperature screening test during the first few days of their infection?

This is the big problem.

Old 8 March 2020, 04:20 PM   #1067
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
How can a patient with viral pneumonia caused by this virus be classed as asymptomatic?

That is because many have what is typically called “walking pneumonia”.

So they appear asymptomatic but have the disease.

Old 8 March 2020, 04:29 PM   #1068
77T

Quote:
50 people with this virus could pass a temperature screening test during the first few days of their infection?

This is the big problem.

Well anyone in the early stages of even the flu won’t have a temperature. In the flu that’s rather quicker onset than this new virus.

Old 8 March 2020, 04:31 PM   #1069
Andad

Caused by the coronavirus.

Causes:

Viruses that can lead to pneumonia include:

Influenza (flu) A and B viruses are the most common causes in adults.

Respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, is more common in infants and children than in adults.

Others include coronaviruses, rhinoviruses, parainfluenza viruses, and adenoviruses, which can also cause pinkeye.

Old 8 March 2020, 04:33 PM   #1070
Andad

Quote:
Well anyone in the early stages of even the flu won’t have a temperature. In the flu that’s rather quicker onset than this new virus.

My point.

Old 8 March 2020, 04:35 PM   #1071
77T

Quote:
My point.

ok - misunderstood that...

Old 8 March 2020, 04:37 PM   #1072
Laszlo

When I read more about the lung damage including dead tissue shedding inside the lung at rates that actually clogged oxygen and blood flow within days I summed this up as being pretty serious. Let alone that recent BBC video in Iran that showed one local hospital with mountains of body bags with accusations of covering up the real death rate. That was real and just one small hospital. I'm sorry but something is terribly wrong.

Old 8 March 2020, 05:01 PM   #1073
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I'm at a volleyball tournament with thousands of people. Not worried.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Great, after 14 days you’ll be able to confirm that was a good decision.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 8 March 2020, 05:03 PM   #1074
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
I work for one of the largest consulting firms in the world, we make our money by traveling to client sites and providing advice, on-site. We just suspended all international and domestic (US) travel “unless critical” in which case would still require many levels of approval. This will definitely adversely affect our business and our clients who are companies and governments around the world.

They also told us we cannot attend any meeting that has 50 or more people, anywhere, internal or external. All group training cancelled too.

I was offered a job in early Feb by one of the largest consulting firms and then was told to wait for 6 months to see what happens with the virus...

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 8 March 2020, 08:24 PM   #1075
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
16million people quarantined in Italy...

https://youtu.be/xNy6lhznMD0
Old 8 March 2020, 10:21 PM   #1076
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
My wifes parents and sisters live in southern Italy, in Calabria and they are going absolutely ape $hit with stocking their houses with everything. They have shut down the airport in the south Lamezia Terme to not allow any flights from up north, but apparently this is not enough as millions from the northern regions like Milan, Turin are fleeing the "infected" part of Italy and staying in the southern parts only to bring and spread the virus in the south.....the southerners are pissed. This virus is going to destroy Italy from their biggest source of income....tourism. All factories are shut down, Fiat, Ferrari etc.
Old 8 March 2020, 10:24 PM   #1077
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1

I need to tap out of this thread, getting me seriously concerned now

Another 2 cases here, appreciate its very small numbers but guess where they just came back from?! That’s right Northern Italy, stop letting people walk straight back in! Our government is ridiculous, telling us to be cautious and then letting infected people walk back in to spread the virus.

Old 8 March 2020, 10:37 PM   #1078
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Great, after 14 days you’ll be able to confirm that was a good decision.

Will do

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2020, 11:36 PM   #1079
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
As a certified hypochondriac just reading this thread is causing me to have Corona symptoms.
Old 8 March 2020, 11:50 PM   #1080
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:

This is the big problem.

It’s been going down. Started with unlimited, then “small conferences”, now anywhere with 50 people is banned which is most metropolitan restaurants, shopping areas, and obviously conference rooms.

Closed Thread