The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 July 2023, 04:28 AM   #31
Pdg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
That is very surprising. Did you fill out a client card in one of your visits? Once you fill it out, you would get emails notifying you of the monthly aperitif which is usually the first Tuesday of the month and you just need to RSVP.

Did you really sign up for an event and showed up on the date you signed up but nothing was there?

My experience at the boutique has always been superb even months/year before I got my first allocation. I think most of the people here concur to that experience. But it does take more than one or two casual visit to get any allocations though. I never feel that I was “begging” for a watch; more so they can know you better as a collector.
What I mean is that I reached out (they never reach out to me and never received an email) and my SA told me to come in because they had some exhibition pieces to look at. We made an appointment, I show up and he tells me they actually sent it back. Then said he’d call me when he gets it back and never did.

I’ve been in several times, always emailing, checking in and making appointments. I’ve brought my family (including my young child) to the boutique chat watches, I’ve brought watch friends, I’ve brought my own watch collection (including independents like a Voutilainen to talk watches). And I never get an email from the boutique. I filled out a client card, etc. I don’t think I’m an a**, I’ve also only requested a CS and have been collecting watches for 20+ years (ever since I was a child). I find it all a pretty bad experience. They are always nice, but they never follow through.
Pdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 04:43 AM   #32
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdg View Post
What I mean is that I reached out (they never reach out to me and never received an email) and my SA told me to come in because they had some exhibition pieces to look at. We made an appointment, I show up and he tells me they actually sent it back. Then said he’d call me when he gets it back and never did.

I’ve been in several times, always emailing, checking in and making appointments. I’ve brought my family (including my young child) to the boutique chat watches, I’ve brought watch friends, I’ve brought my own watch collection (including independents like a Voutilainen to talk watches). And I never get an email from the boutique. I filled out a client card, etc. I don’t think I’m an a**, I’ve also only requested a CS and have been collecting watches for 20+ years (ever since I was a child). I find it all a pretty bad experience. They are always nice, but they never follow through.
So sorry to hear that. I work with the LA Boutique and pretty much doing exactly what you have been doing. My experience there has always been 5 stars. Maybe you need a new SA. :-)
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 04:53 AM   #33
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdg View Post

I am Willing to bet I know who your SA is.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 04:55 AM   #34
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
Maybe you should help him.
Old 22 July 2023, 05:50 AM   #35
Pdg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
Nailed it
Pdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 08:18 AM   #36
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe you should help him.
Always happy to pay it forward. Much like you have!
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 03:04 PM   #37
watchcollectornyc
"TRF" Member

I've been reluctant to talk about my time spent with the New York City boutique, but I believe it's worth sharing. My story began when I was living near the Madison Avenue boutique, prior to their relocation. Every so often, I'd pop in for a quick visit.

Summer 2020 marked a significant turning point. Just before the wave of that season's auctions that threw a spotlight on the brand, I decided it was the right moment to make my first purchase. My enthusiasm for the brand had been kindled over years of visiting their boutiques, making the purchase an especially exciting moment for me. I was fortunate enough to find the exact watch I had my eye on in stock, and so, I made my purchase.

Unlike the experiences shared by others, there were no gifts or tokens of appreciation (wine, whiskey, accessories, etc) . In any case, I shrugged this off as insignificant. Also, due to the COVID pandemic, all monthly events had been suspended. In the meantime, I maintained contact with my Sales Associate and visited the store every couple of months. We had already started discussing other watches on my wishlist (RQ, CO, etc.), and the boutique seemed optimistic about acquiring them over the next couple of years. I was asked several times about my wishlist with me having in writing them suggesting an RQ was a realistic watch to be delivered the next year.

In due time, in-person events were reinstated, and I eagerly attended any that I was invited to. These occasions allowed me to network with like-minded individuals, many of whom I am still in touch with today. About a year later, I was thrilled to receive an invitation to a Madison boutique event, where the man behind the brand, FP himself, was set to make an appearance.

However, upon my arrival, I discovered that there had been an exclusive event the previous evening. This had been the occasion to inaugurate their new Soho location, a groundbreaking celebration, attended by VIPs, esteemed clients, and other friends of the brand. The event I was attending, on the other hand, appeared to be more for those on the interest list - a fact that many in this thread have pointed out. Although puzzled, I decided to enjoy the evening without dwelling on it.

Then, the invitations abruptly stopped. Later, I discovered that my SA had left the boutique and, oddly, no one had taken over my account. After reaching out to the boutique manager, who I'd met on a few occasions, we had a pleasant phone conversation about an updated watch I was interested in. To my surprise, he told me it would take a few more years to get it, even though it had already been two years since my first purchase, and several of the watches I was queued for had yet to materialize. It was as though he was treating me as a new customer instead of an existing one, and my previous purchase was made directly with him. We agreed to keep in touch and ended the call.

A few months later, an invitation for the grand opening of the Soho boutique arrived in my inbox. I promptly RSVPed, only to receive a disappointing response two days later informing me that they were at capacity and could not accommodate me. A friend of mine received the same email, leaving us both somewhat annoyed.

Since then, I've come to the realization that they no longer value me as a customer. This prompted my shift towards Patek Philippe, where I have since amassed a collection I'm thrilled with and acquired all the watches I've ever desired. I'm still puzzled by the treatment I received from FPJ, especially considering that I was a local customer who had supported and bought from the brand prior to their rise in popularity. It's unfortunate that after my SA left, I felt excluded and sidelined. In the end, this situation pushed me towards PP - a journey that has proved incredibly rewarding.

As of now, I've stopped visiting FPJ boutiques. It's become clear that they are seeking a specific kind of collector or perhaps investor. I often wonder if others have had similar treatment from this boutique. I know the staff has been turned over quite extensively over the past year or two.
watchcollectornyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 05:37 AM   #38
mchen42
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear that. I have wonderful experience in LA boutique. I start my collecting in 2019 so I think I am a "small guy" but they still treat me very well. If you still want a FPJourne watch, probably change a boutique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcollectornyc View Post
I've been reluctant to talk about my time spent with the New York City boutique, but I believe it's worth sharing. My story began when I was living near the Madison Avenue boutique, prior to their relocation. Every so often, I'd pop in for a quick visit.

Summer 2020 marked a significant turning point. Just before the wave of that season's auctions that threw a spotlight on the brand, I decided it was the right moment to make my first purchase. My enthusiasm for the brand had been kindled over years of visiting their boutiques, making the purchase an especially exciting moment for me. I was fortunate enough to find the exact watch I had my eye on in stock, and so, I made my purchase.

Unlike the experiences shared by others, there were no gifts or tokens of appreciation (wine, whiskey, accessories, etc) . In any case, I shrugged this off as insignificant. Also, due to the COVID pandemic, all monthly events had been suspended. In the meantime, I maintained contact with my Sales Associate and visited the store every couple of months. We had already started discussing other watches on my wishlist (RQ, CO, etc.), and the boutique seemed optimistic about acquiring them over the next couple of years. I was asked several times about my wishlist with me having in writing them suggesting an RQ was a realistic watch to be delivered the next year.

In due time, in-person events were reinstated, and I eagerly attended any that I was invited to. These occasions allowed me to network with like-minded individuals, many of whom I am still in touch with today. About a year later, I was thrilled to receive an invitation to a Madison boutique event, where the man behind the brand, FP himself, was set to make an appearance.

However, upon my arrival, I discovered that there had been an exclusive event the previous evening. This had been the occasion to inaugurate their new Soho location, a groundbreaking celebration, attended by VIPs, esteemed clients, and other friends of the brand. The event I was attending, on the other hand, appeared to be more for those on the interest list - a fact that many in this thread have pointed out. Although puzzled, I decided to enjoy the evening without dwelling on it.

Then, the invitations abruptly stopped. Later, I discovered that my SA had left the boutique and, oddly, no one had taken over my account. After reaching out to the boutique manager, who I'd met on a few occasions, we had a pleasant phone conversation about an updated watch I was interested in. To my surprise, he told me it would take a few more years to get it, even though it had already been two years since my first purchase, and several of the watches I was queued for had yet to materialize. It was as though he was treating me as a new customer instead of an existing one, and my previous purchase was made directly with him. We agreed to keep in touch and ended the call.

A few months later, an invitation for the grand opening of the Soho boutique arrived in my inbox. I promptly RSVPed, only to receive a disappointing response two days later informing me that they were at capacity and could not accommodate me. A friend of mine received the same email, leaving us both somewhat annoyed.

Since then, I've come to the realization that they no longer value me as a customer. This prompted my shift towards Patek Philippe, where I have since amassed a collection I'm thrilled with and acquired all the watches I've ever desired. I'm still puzzled by the treatment I received from FPJ, especially considering that I was a local customer who had supported and bought from the brand prior to their rise in popularity. It's unfortunate that after my SA left, I felt excluded and sidelined. In the end, this situation pushed me towards PP - a journey that has proved incredibly rewarding.

As of now, I've stopped visiting FPJ boutiques. It's become clear that they are seeking a specific kind of collector or perhaps investor. I often wonder if others have had similar treatment from this boutique. I know the staff has been turned over quite extensively over the past year or two.
mchen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2023, 10:46 AM   #39
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Yeah the FPJourne boutique is a mystery to me. I was fortunate enough to be allocated a FP CO Black Label back in May of 2022 after maybe a 3-4 year wait but even that process was highly confusing. I’ve only ever been invited to like 1 event and they rarely reach out to me…Just when I think they forgot about me, they would send me chocolates or treats. Very hard to decipher “where I stand” there…Either way, they have never been “disrespectful” or made any false promises so in that sense I guess they are better than many other ADs.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 08:54 AM   #40
llngoc
"TRF" Member

"Small guy"? You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchen42 View Post
So sorry to hear that. I have wonderful experience in LA boutique. I start my collecting in 2019 so I think I am a "small guy" but they still treat me very well. If you still want a FPJourne watch, probably change a boutique?
Old 24 July 2023, 08:57 AM   #41
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Yes, the boutique is always a mystery. But as you said, the boutique staff never promised anything but only advise me to keep in touch and be patient.

BTW, is the BL CO your first FPJ piece? It is interested how it just popped up. But I guess you are not complaining. This is on the top of my wishlist and am hoping to get allocation soon. It is to my eyes the best BL reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Yeah the FPJourne boutique is a mystery to me. I was fortunate enough to be allocated a FP CO Black Label back in May of 2022 after maybe a 3-4 year wait but even that process was highly confusing. I’ve only ever been invited to like 1 event and they rarely reach out to me…Just when I think they forgot about me, they would send me chocolates or treats. Very hard to decipher “where I stand” there…Either way, they have never been “disrespectful” or made any false promises so in that sense I guess they are better than many other ADs.
Old 24 July 2023, 09:31 AM   #42
mchen42
"TRF" Member

Yes, I am. lol

Quote:
"Small guy"? You?
mchen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 10:25 AM   #43
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, the boutique is always a mystery. But as you said, the boutique staff never promised anything but only advise me to keep in touch and be patient.

BTW, is the BL CO your first FPJ piece? It is interested how it just popped up. But I guess you are not complaining. This is on the top of my wishlist and am hoping to get allocation soon. It is to my eyes the best BL reference.
You cannot get a BL as a 1st FPJ. You need to buy minimum 2 complicated watches and 1 other before you can even apply to wait for 5 years now. It was my 3rd FPJ back when I applied, but the conditions have become stricter now. Journe himself must approve it.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

Old 24 July 2023, 10:39 AM   #44
llngoc
"TRF" Member

One can always be hopeful.

I think it used to be if you have own one piece you are qualified but things definitely have become harder.

I will definitely report back if I get any good news!

Quote:
You cannot get a BL as a 1st FPJ. You need to buy minimum 2 complicated watches and 1 other before you can even apply to wait for 5 years now. It was my 3rd FPJ back when I applied, but the conditions have become stricter now. Journe himself must approve it.
Old 24 July 2023, 12:32 PM   #45
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I am sorry to hear of your experience. The only thing I didn’t see you do (not suggesting you do but since we are sharing pointers for others) was stop by to chat and/or have a coffee or drink every few weeks or so. I found that moved me up the events list. Showing your face and getting them to know you can only help.. I’ve found that to be true of my boutique here in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcollectornyc View Post

Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 05:45 PM   #46
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One can always be hopeful.

I think it used to be if you have own one piece you are qualified but things definitely have become harder.

I will definitely report back if I get any good news!
Sorry but it’s not about being optimistic, it’s the official policy now. It changed a few years back, you are correct it used to be 1, now it’s 3. But even with 3 is not guaranteed. But hopefully you can get it as your 4th!! Best of luck!

Old 24 July 2023, 06:32 PM   #47
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry but it’s not about being optimistic, it’s the official policy now. It changed a few years back, you are correct it used to be 1, now it’s 3. But even with 3 is not guaranteed. But hopefully you can get it as your 4th!! Best of luck!
Thanks! 🤞
Old 25 July 2023, 10:11 AM   #48
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but since it is about waitlist, may I ask if its possible for a new client to get a simple 48mm Elegante? Preferably with the white dial rather than the black.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 10:19 AM   #49
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but since it is about waitlist, may I ask if its possible for a new client to get a simple 48mm Elegante? Preferably with the white dial rather than the black.
that's one of the most requested pieces, so I doubt it. 40mm or diamond ones more likely.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 10:43 AM   #50
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
that's one of the most requested pieces, so I doubt it. 40mm or diamond ones more likely.
Ahhhh. Oh well. I might consider the 40mm but need to see it in person. Because the 40mm is lug to lug just unsure if it’s going to be too small. Thanks anyway.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 11:21 AM   #51
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ahhhh. Oh well. I might consider the 40mm but need to see it in person. Because the 40mm is lug to lug just unsure if it’s going to be too small. Thanks anyway.
My wife has a 40mm and it is definitely for small wrist. She has 14cm wrist and the watch looks just right on her.
Old 25 July 2023, 01:33 PM   #52
crod
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ OPTIMUM
Quote:
When I got my Black Label CO, my SA at the boutique said that an application was needed and they did it for me, he asked for the Journe models I had and also their serial numbers and also the brand and model of other watches I had so he could add them, the demand for the BL's models has grown a lot and also since some examples started showing up for sale at dealers aka Watchbox etc they want to be more selective. Thats why they have been changing the rules and also the price, a couple of years back they only charged you a couple of $K for a BL model compared to the non BL model. Now the difference if more than 20% for example in the CO the NON BL Plat model is $129.5K and the BL is $158.4K!!!

All BL allocations are approved by FPJ himself.
Old 25 July 2023, 01:45 PM   #53
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
When I got my Black Label CO, my SA at the boutique said that an application was needed and they did it for me, he asked for the Journe models I had and also their serial numbers and also the brand and model of other watches I had so he could add them, the demand for the BL's models has grown a lot and also since some examples started showing up for sale at dealers aka Watchbox etc they want to be more selective. Thats why they have been changing the rules and also the price, a couple of years back they only charged you a couple of $K for a BL model compared to the non BL model. Now the difference if more than 20% for example in the CO the NON BL Plat model is $129.5K and the BL is $158.4K!!!

All BL allocations are approved by FPJ himself.

I was stunned when I found out the BL minute repeater was like 10% more expensive than the sapphire dial. I guess it is harder to paint a dial black than making it in smoked sapphire. Or my other theory is that Mr Journe’s per hour labor cost is high so for him to review the application personally would add some $$$.
Old 25 July 2023, 10:57 PM   #54
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The 48mm wears closer to a 40mm watch. The actual case dimensions not including the lugs is about 38x39mm. I don’t have the dimensions of the 40mm but it wears closer to a 31mm watch, so definitely more suited to a lady’s wrist.

As far as getting a 48 as a first piece, I doubt it. It is Journe’s most affordable watch, so there is a big demand for it. A few years ago the waitlist reached 4 years and they were not taking names down anymore. Not sure of the situation today, but even if they put you on the list, it will take a few years to get one.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 02:28 AM   #55
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
I've been to the NY Boutique at least 3 times so far, filled out a client card, and have been invited to zero events. I usually call ahead and make an appointment and stop by when I'm in NY in between appointments for their espresso and chat about watches. I pretty much have zero expectations of being allocated a watch in the near future. But, if one did come upon my short list I would buy it. In the meantime still hunting for other watches
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 04:13 AM   #56
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Okay, newbie question here. I do not own an FP Journe. I wouldn't even know where to start.

At least with Rolex, Patek, etc., there is an understanding that you have to be a repeat customer. Buy something on the low-end, some jewelry here, jewelry there, and maybe you will get access to a higher-end model.

But with FP Journe, where would you start? Do you have to buy an Elegant first?

There is a LA boutique, so I guess I can go, but then what? What's the entry level buy-in? Is there one?
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 04:17 AM   #57
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Okay, newbie question here. I do not own an FP Journe. I wouldn't even know where to start.

At least with Rolex, Patek, etc., there is an understanding that you have to be a repeat customer. Buy something on the low-end, some jewelry here, jewelry there, and maybe you will get access to a higher-end model.

There is a LA boutique, so I guess I can go, but then what? What's the entry level buy-in? Is there one?

You have to go to the boutique. Express interest. Return several times and repeat. Go to events. Then get lucky.

There are no FPJ watches that they are trying to move or that sell under msrp. Everything is pretty much desirable. Most people start with a CS or Lune, octa sport etc.
Old 26 July 2023, 04:28 AM   #58
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post

Good news is that there is no expectation of “bundling”. Just show your interest in the brand and be patient. Imagine the staff at the boutique get 1000s of inquiries from new customers and they try to screen for “casual” inquires and worse, flippers.

Go in and show your interest and your collection in other independents should help. As for first piece, there is no real criteria. Ask for the ones you love and not one which is easier to get just to build a “relationship”. There are pieces like 48mm elegante or Chronometre Bleu which I do not think they are taking names anymore. But the staff there would know better than me. :-)
Old 26 July 2023, 06:18 AM   #59
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Ive been on the list here in Dubai for the past 3 years with confirmation that I would never get my watch
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 08:30 AM   #60
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post
Ive been on the list here in Dubai for the past 3 years with confirmation that I would never get my watch
Not sure I should laugh or cry.....both?

Okay, so essentially, unless my name was George Clooney, I may never get an FP from the boutique.

In an interesting way, if they are no longer taking names for the Bleu, then is this a case where the higher end model may actually be the only chance to get an FP via boutique than the "lower end" model?
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote