The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 13 April 2010, 02:27 AM   #1
jets
"TRF" Member

Icon19 A observation/comparison of the Deepsea and Submariner LV with photos

There are plenty of threads reviewing both these watches and I don’t want to beat a dead horse. To get it out of the way; you can’t go wrong with either watch. Plain and simple. Just the other day a friend noticed my SDDS and commented with "Ah, I see the Rolex...a classic." There are however, some things worth noting and that is what this thread is about. Here is what I’d like to share after one month with the Deepsea as a daily wearer.

When I first got into these watches the Sea Dweller 4000 sort of puzzled me because it was so similar to the submariner. I thought it was sort of silly at first but one quickly understands the difference and why they both exist. Finally though, the Deepsea Dweller or SDDS is watch of its own and it really shows. The similarity is there but that is where it ends in terms of sharing proportions and bezels really.

Bracelet. The first thing you will note when you wear the watch is how well built and solid the bracelet is. You can shake your hand vigorously and barely hear and parts rattle. I cannot say the same for the sub’s bracelet. My divers extension has been removed and with the clasp centered on my wrist it feels just as comfortable as the sub. I have read that some are avoiding this practice so that the bracelet does not get scratched by the edge of the clasp. I used to agree but have concluded that it is nonsense for two reasons. The first is that even if it does get a bit scratched you will never see it unless you blatantly look for it under your wrist. Second of all, it can be brushed to its former glory in ten seconds by any watchmaker. The beauty of the glidelock clasp is that as the wrist expands in warmer weather the bracelet can be quickly expanded in tiny 1.8mm increments to get some breathing room for the wrist. Once it gets cooler and the wrist contracts in size slightly it’s vital that it be adjusted back again or the weight of the SDDS’s head will invariably ‘flop’ around and get on ones nerves. I have to point that although the sub lacks this feature I don’t think it matters. This is because it weighs so much less than the SDDS. Once it is properly fitted any extra slack on the bracelet does not make it difficult to wear or become a nuisance thanks to the micro-adjustment pins on the clasp.

In terms of everyday wear I prefer wearing the SDDS. This is for a number of reasons that may be positives or negatives depending on your point of view. I always know when the SDDS is on my wrist and it does not weigh too much at all. There have been moments of brief panic in the past wearing my sub. I found myself thinking... “Did I forget to put on the sub this morning, and if I did not forget it did I lose it?” Then I’d quickly shake my wrist and there it was...light as a feather. The Deepsea is surprisingly comfortable to and I am 6 feet tall and weigh 230 pounds. I do hit more door frames wearing it but it is actually funny when it happens because I never find a mark on it. It’s a little tank. It’s nice to have the wrist presence without having to worry about scratching the bezel as I used to when wearing the sub.

Bezel. The only negative I have with the SDDS is the bezel. I think they could have done such a better job designing it and I am actually embarrassed for Rolex in this regard. Heck, on the PloFrof there is a button to lock the bezel rotation. When rotating the bezel on the sub it feels precise, solid. It can be felt in the tips of your fingers as it turns and I have to tell you that the crisp sound it makes whist clicking along is like music to my ears. In the year wearing the submariner it has never brushed up against something and rotated accidentally or moved without my intending it to do so. With regret this is not the case with the SDDS. Almost once a day I look down at the watch and the bezel has moved again. The spring used is just too bloody weak and I even went so far as to ask the AD’s watchmaker if it could be remedied. No such luck. It’s seems like if you look at it the wrong way it will rotate...with the sub the bezel needs to be gripped a bit to move and that is a good thing. In comparison the SDDS’s bezel has a more subtle click and glide sort of feel to the bezel rotation. With that gripe aside the new ceramic looks like black polished glass and is very durable. The engraved markings on the bezel are better for legibility in sun or glare because they are not printed on the surface like on the sub. Still though, the subs black bezel is just beautiful and adds cohesion to the look watch not present on the SDDS. When I glance over at the LV with a newly installed black bezel the shine of stainless steel seems to flow so well. From the six o’clock side of the bracelet through the shiny numbers and markings and onward through the bezel to the 12 o’clock side of the case. It all seems to fit so perfectly. The markings on the subs bezel even appear to ‘pop’ more too. The SDDS has a more muted and reserved sort of look to it somehow but it has its own charm when reflections are seen in the glass-like appearance of the black bezel. Finally, I have to admit that when I wore the sub after a month of wearing the Deepsea the cyclops is clearly something I have taken for granted. It truly is amazing how much those numbers can jump out at you when reading the date. My eyesight is still better than average so I am not too concerned with this aspect of the comparison even though it is worth noting.

Lume. How could I forget the Lume??? Most people say it has blue lume but it really is more like turquoise. I find that it takes a bit more time to charge it but once it's charge the vibrant bluish glow is a welcome change from all of the freekin green luminova we're subjected to. I find that the chromalight lasts a bit longer than luminova. It's a nice touch that distinguishes what you're wearing when you glance down at it in the dark.

In the end I am very happy that I do not have to choose between these two mechanical marvels as I own both. I do have to say that if I bought the Deepsea first I think that I would probably not buy the 11610LV. When the new SS ceramic sub arrives I fear that I am screwed.

As a side note I have to really point out something I found very interesting about the bezel swap on the LV. After wearing it with a black bezel the watch appears larger to me and feels as though it has more wrist presence. It looks really great without the green bezel even though I thought it looked amazing to me in the past with the green. What is funny about the photos below is how large the sub appears to be compared to the Deepsea when really it is not!

Here are the comparison shots:

Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 02:37 AM   #2
cdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubLV, 1665 Rail
Great shots and good information!! I am curious, do you have any thoughts on the difference in lume?
cdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 02:57 AM   #3
jets
"TRF" Member

Added Lume section ;)
Old 13 April 2010, 03:02 AM   #4
multimedia
"TRF" Member

What a fantastic post!

Cheers,
Joe
Old 13 April 2010, 03:17 AM   #5
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

You are right jets, the Sub LV holds its own against the Deep Sea size wise in your photos. I still prefer the old style sub lugs, just flows better into the bracelet.
Old 25 April 2010, 10:55 AM   #6
RSubSS

Watch: Submariner
That DSSD is so nice, i would love to have one of them at some point. I think i might feel "wierd" wearing it though, its such a serious diving watch in my opinion that a daily wear would mess with my head lol. I say that now, but i be the minute i wear it i would think different....
RSubSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2010, 11:12 AM   #7
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Mario, fabulous comparison pics!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Great 10/10 thread and a good comparison.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice comparative review and pics Mario

Cheers
Old 4 May 2010, 12:45 AM   #10
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice post, thank you !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 06:53 AM   #11
jets
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I really wanted to start a worthwhile thread ;)
Old 9 May 2010, 04:15 PM   #12
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Thank you for the incredibly thoughtful perspective.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 06:27 AM   #13
SDDS
"TRF" Member

great thanx for sharing
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2010, 10:31 PM   #14
David Maddern
"TRF" Member

right
David Maddern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 12:42 PM   #15
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Fantastic review. Helped me in deciding.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 12:54 AM   #16
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Icon14

a very interesting thread subject. thank you.
Old 25 November 2011, 11:43 AM   #17
RASC
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX AIR KING
Nice review!!!
RASC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Well done.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2011, 09:42 AM   #19
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Those photos really help. Thanks.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2011, 01:59 AM   #20
daytonafreak

Very good
daytonafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2011, 06:13 AM   #21
balak
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610,pam 111
Awesome review!!!
balak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 10:56 AM   #22
hamiltmk
"TRF" Member

Great review. Good stuff
hamiltmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2011, 10:44 PM   #23
Daniel Tan

Watch: DSSD DJ EXPII PAM
This is totally true! If u never try to put the SDDS on ur wrist & u will never ever discover how amazing it bring u the most special "Feel" that u have never used to feel like in others Rolex model...
Daniel Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2012, 12:00 AM   #24
FX44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Great post. I have a sub and the seed is planted to get a DSSD.

Thanks for the pics and comparison.
FX44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2012, 04:25 AM   #25
wjk_glynn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
...As a side note I have to really point out something I found very interesting about the bezel swap on the LV. After wearing it with a black bezel the watch appears larger to me and feels as though it has more wrist presence.
I switched my LV's green insert for a black one yesterday, and I had the exact same reaction.

Karl.
wjk_glynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2012, 05:16 AM   #26
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I agree that DSSD has a presence more prominent than the Sub. I keep my Sub on bracelet and the DSSD on Isofrane.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote