The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 December 2013, 02:41 PM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Watch winder help

Hi all,

I know this is a heated topic. For the longest time, I've been holding out on getting a winder. But with 3 watches in rotation that I literally switch back and forth between one or more times per day (i know that might sound silly). The combo of the wear on the crown and crown tube in addition to the watches constantly being under-wound is just getting to me. I've decided to get a 2-3 watch winder and am trying to decide on what to get....

A couple quick questions: Is it imperative to buy one new or is used ok too? Orbita or Wolf and why? Any experience and suggestions here would be much appreciated. (Disclaimer: I don't need to be talked out of it... ;)

Thanks!

p.s. Sorry, in hindsight I think I should have posted this in the open discussion section...

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2013, 10:46 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Hi all,

I know this is a heated topic. For the longest time, I've been holding out on getting a winder. But with 3 watches in rotation that I literally switch back and forth between one or more times per day (i know that might sound silly). The combo of the wear on the crown and crown tube in addition to the watches constantly being under-wound is just getting to me. I've decided to get a 2-3 watch winder and am trying to decide on what to get....

A couple quick questions: Is it imperative to buy one new or is used ok too? Orbita or Wolf and why? Any experience and suggestions here would be much appreciated. (Disclaimer: I don't need to be talked out of it... ;)

Thanks!

p.s. Sorry, in hindsight I think I should have posted this in the open discussion section...
Regarding your crown and crown tube question,just think of the millions of Rolex manual wind plus others with screw down crowns.Now they got wound up daily for decades without any problems that will answer your question.Even a few Alpha $60 manual wind watches I bought for my Grandsons they have screw down crowns and have been wound up almost daily for over 5 years without problems.And things like crowns and crown tubes are mostly replaced at service time anyway on most all Rolex watches as they are just serviceable parts..So its up to you a winder is just purely a convenience nothing more, both Wolf and Obita are good machines.But without the finest winder is free and called wrists myself just cannot see any point in running any movement 24/7 if its not needed to tell time on wrist just let them stop.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 02:43 AM   #3
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Regarding your crown and crown tube question,just think of the millions of Rolex manual wind plus others with screw down crowns.Now they got wound up daily for decades without any problems that will answer your question.Even a few Alpha $60 manual wind watches I bought for my Grandsons they have screw down crowns and have been wound up almost daily for over 5 years without problems.And things like crowns and crown tubes are mostly replaced at service time anyway on most all Rolex watches as they are just serviceable parts..So its up to you a winder is just purely a convenience nothing more, both Wolf and Obita are good machines.But without the finest winder is free and called wrists myself just cannot see any point in running any movement 24/7 if its not needed to tell time on wrist just let them stop.

I see your point re-crown but I what about constantly adding and removing tension on the mainspring... Wouldn't that wear that part out much quicker? I'm sure you have experienced how a fully wound regularly worn watch runs more accurately than an underwound watch...

I'm not sure I see what all the wear talk is about regarding a watch working 24/7... the subtle turn of a quality winder surely can't be more jarring for the movement and rotor than a quick hand motion while wearing the watch.

Anyway, if I don't need to spend the money than I wont... i just feel like my constant time resetting and hand winding is probably more damaging than having a quality winder...

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 28 December 2013, 03:03 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I see your point re-crown but I what about constantly adding and removing tension on the mainspring... Wouldn't that wear that part out much quicker? I'm sure you have experienced how a fully wound regularly worn watch runs more accurately than an underwound watch...

I'm not sure I see what all the wear talk is about regarding a watch working 24/7... the subtle turn of a quality winder surely can't be more jarring for the movement and rotor than a quick hand motion while wearing the watch.

Anyway, if I don't need to spend the money than I wont... i just feel like my constant time resetting and hand winding is probably more damaging than having a quality winder...
Well that happens every day on wrist while wearing a automatic watch is still basically like a manual watch with a auto wind mechanism fitted.And again at service time the mainspring is replaced as part of service the mainspring is not a expensive component and as they have to strip movement down no extra labour charge.I have been winding and wearing Rolex watches auto and manual watches for well over 30 years and never had the need for any winder other than my wrists.I used to have two Rolex OP manual wind my sons have then now both well over 30 years old.Both been wound up almost daily and apart from normal service still running strong and expect they will still running when myself long gone.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well that happens every day on wrist while wearing a automatic watch is still basically like a manual watch with a auto wind mechanism fitted.And again at service time the mainspring is replaced as part of service the mainspring is not a expensive component and as they have to strip movement down no extra labour charge.I have been winding and wearing Rolex watches auto and manual watches for well over 30 years and never had the need for any winder other than my wrists.I used to have two Rolex OP manual wind my sons have then now both well over 30 years old.Both been wound up almost daily and apart from normal service still running strong and expect they will still running when myself long gone.
Thanks Peter good to know... definitely would be nice to save the $$... maybe I'll hold off a little longer

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 29 December 2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

You don't need to try to justify a winder.. a lot of people use them and are very satisfied.. If you feel that it fits your lifestyle, get one..

There is no reason why a new winder would work any better than a used winder if they are both mechanically sound.. All they do is slowly rotate and the weight of the watches counterweight stays static, winding the watch.. easy-peasy..

Both Orbita and Wolf are top brands - you should be happy with either..
Old 29 December 2013, 04:50 PM   #7
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:

...I'm not sure I see what all the wear talk is about regarding a watch working 24/7... the subtle turn of a quality winder surely can't be more jarring for the movement and rotor than a quick hand motion while wearing the watch...
The comparison is not about the amount of wear and tear between a winder versus the wrist. Obviously you don't need a winder if the watch is always on your wrist. The comparison is between having the watch running on a winder versus not running in a drawer. A running watch will incur more wear than one that isn't.

Padi's point is why incur wear and tear on a watch that isn't on your wrist? Let it stop and just wind it next time you put it on. Now, it sounds in your case your watches never stop anyway between wearings so it probably doesn't matter that much, unless you hack the watch when you take it off.

But as Tools said, you don't need to defend it one way or the other. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 29 December 2013, 05:14 PM   #8
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. Good points.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 1 January 2014, 02:04 PM   #9
ssn767

If you feel a watch winder is for you, I recommend looking at a Rotolution model as well as the previously mentioned companies. I have a couple of Orbitas, and they are nice, but I much prefer the Rotolution 4-watch winder I bought from a member here. Really nice winder and very quiet.

http://www.windmywatch.com/rotolution/site/products.php

Although I have multiple winders (more winders than watches that need them), they are more to satisfy my penchant for collecting gadgets than for any other reason. I rarely wear a watch anymore and only start the winder once a month to keep the internals lubricated. Beyond that both the winder and the watches sit unused, but admired for their aesthetics and utility.
ssn767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2014, 04:30 AM   #10
steve53mg
"TRF" Member

i've been using an eilux winder for about 7 years. first on my day/date, and now on my sub. The day/date was accurate to about 2 seconds/day. I rarely wore it during the week, and I only used the crown to reset it about once a month. I like the winder concept; its a nice convenient way to store the watch and its always ready to go. If the watch didn't run for weeks at a time, I suppose that might lengthen the interval between services, but I feel that the lubes in the watch would be more affective if kept moving.
steve53mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2014, 06:00 AM   #11
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
I also have the rotoulation that SSN767 mentioned, it's really beautifully finished, and you can program each winder independently... I have had mine now for about 9 years and never had a problem with it...

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 06:50 AM   #12
arpone

Watch: 16610 16600 118208
I been using Wolf module 2.7 for two years. I'm very happy with this winder, battery last for long and its very quiet. Reccomend it to anyone.
arpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2014, 07:00 AM   #13
Jeffex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub & Daytona
Wolf Design. Great winders
Jeffex is offline   Reply With Quote