The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 November 2020, 09:36 AM   #31
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
RIP to one of the World’s soccer greats. I recall watching his games on TV during my school days and I had great admiration for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 November 2020, 09:52 AM   #32
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
will never forget how he blatantly cheated against us in the world cup with the ‘hand of god’ goal and then to rub salt in the wounds scored an incredible bonafide goal afterwards. Will always be a cheat as far as we are concerned in england but he was an incredible footballer overall. Rip diego.
lol.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 09:57 AM   #33
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
From my country Argentina, I say
I don't judge you for what you did with your life, but we love you for what you did with ours.
Eternally grateful for so many joys you gave us in football.
Yes. What a great way to express this.

And the same sentiment is being expressed in Naples today too. You cannot ever understand how one person (or a team) can lift a nation, a city, unless you’ve lived it.

Jack Charlton, as a manager, did it for my country. He lifted an entire country, through his team and his personality. Just as Diego did on the pitch for Argentina and for Naples.

Legend.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 09:59 AM   #34
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I should have been clearer. I had no issue whatsoever with what you said, in any post. And feel that you are 100% right.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:00 AM   #35
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I know about him solely for wearing a Rolex on each wrist, so at least the man had good taste.

Rest in peace.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:01 AM   #36
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Rip
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:15 PM   #37
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Diego Maradona passed away at 60.

So sad. Imo if he didn’t have the off the field
Issues he would’ve been THE ambassador for the sport as oppose to Pele. I believe he’s the best to ever play. He was Messi before Messi was Messi. Short stature and joy stick like ball skills.
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 11:26 PM   #38
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang427 View Post
RIP but not the best ever, Pele was the best period.
Agree. No question. His numbers are way distant from Diego. Problem is the younger crowd never watched any of them so all they have in their minds are Messi and CR.
Old 26 November 2020, 11:59 PM   #39
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
He was Messi before Messi was Messi. Short stature and joy stick like ball skills.
Yes, I agree, great way of putting it. Quite simply Maradona was just a joy to watch playing football.

I am English and saw the "handball goal" I look at it as just one of those things. If Lineker had done the same thing at the other end of the pitch, I am sure there wouldn't be the same amount of indignation from my fellow countrymen, nor me to be honest. His second goal should be the thing that is remembered from that game, it was just magnificent, one of, if not the best goals I have ever seen, worthy of not only winning the game but the tournament.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:16 AM   #40
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
60, and a former world class athlete dies from a heart problem. The article said he was addicted to cocaine, the damage that must have done to his heart. Very sad
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:25 AM   #41
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Yes, I agree, great way of putting it. Quite simply Maradona was just a joy to watch playing football.

I am English and saw the "handball goal" I look at it as just one of those things. If Lineker had done the same thing at the other end of the pitch, I am sure there wouldn't be the same amount of indignation from my fellow countrymen, nor me to be honest. His second goal should be the thing that is remembered from that game, it was just magnificent, one of, if not the best goals I have ever seen, worthy of not only winning the game but the tournament.

Awesome post Dave. Really enjoyed those videos. I think a gentleman must leave the small things aside when an adversary passes away, and should praise their talent above everything else like you're doing here. Congratulations.
Old 27 November 2020, 03:44 PM   #42
Soarer
"TRF" Member

He's a big hero for his country Argentina!
Old 27 November 2020, 03:47 PM   #43
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Video link didn't work.
Old 27 November 2020, 04:19 PM   #44
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
But that's not all you said man. You called a dead guy a cheater. I don't think that's respectful at all. I have no dog on this fight but it says a lot about you.
The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.
Shakespeare.

Rip Deigo.

“Done too soon”.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 09:39 PM   #45
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.
Shakespeare.
All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts.
Shakespeare
Old 27 November 2020, 11:43 PM   #46
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
A sad day for the sporting world. May he rest in peace.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:07 AM   #47
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Asking this as one of the world's least knowledgeable people regarding soccer, so bear with me. Got interested reading through this thread, so I watched the video of the infamous goal and my question is this: Why the outrage at Maradona? He couldn't have reached the ball otherwise so he used his hand. Now, I get that it's against the rules and that the goal should have been disallowed. But the player was just doing what he could, wasn't he? Shouldn't the outrage be directed at the officials who missed the call? In basketball, if a guy scores a basket when he travels, he's not called a 'cheater'. If a reciever is awarded a touchdown when he only got one foot in bounds, he's not called a 'cheater'. Why would Maradona be considered a 'cheater' in this instance? One of the reasons games have officials is to make determinations on whether points are legal or not. Seems to me you can't blame the player for trying.
Old 28 November 2020, 12:15 AM   #48
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Asking this as one of the world's least knowledgeable people regarding soccer, so bear with me. Got interested reading through this thread, so I watched the video of the infamous goal and my question is this: Why the outrage at Maradona? He couldn't have reached the ball otherwise so he used his hand. Now, I get that it's against the rules and that the goal should have been disallowed. But the player was just doing what he could, wasn't he? Shouldn't the outrage be directed at the officials who missed the call? In basketball, if a guy scores a basket when he travels, he's not called a 'cheater'. If a reciever is awarded a touchdown when he only got one foot in bounds, he's not called a 'cheater'. Why would Maradona be considered a 'cheater' in this instance? One of the reasons games have officials is to make determinations on whether points are legal or not. Seems to me you can't blame the player for trying.
That's like saying if a poker player whips an ace out of his sock during the game he isn't a cheater - and if he gets away with it it's purely the dealer's fault and no blame goes to the player.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:40 AM   #49
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

Thanks for that Dave
Old 28 November 2020, 12:42 AM   #50
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's against the rules, Paul. That's the issue but a few minutes later he scored what is considered to be the most beautiful goal of all times. That match occurred on an atmosphere that transcended the game itself so you must consider that as well. Bottom line is what Dave said above. Sums it up for me.
Old 28 November 2020, 12:48 AM   #51
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Brilliant Dave
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:58 AM   #52
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
I’m sure I could give you a run for your money in how little I know about soccer

I believe there is a world of difference between football and what we are used to in USA sports. Our officials (like our advertisers) have a much greater presence in the USA vs soccer. That is to say, in soccer it is a massive field with relatively few officials to keep things 100%. Correct me if I am wrong, I don’t believe soccer makes use of replays/review (certainly not when Diego was playing). Culturally very different than we are used to hear.

Very enjoyable thread to hear from those with greater knowledge and appreciation.
Clearly a brilliant player and loss to the world of sports. RIP
Old 28 November 2020, 02:08 AM   #53
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
That's like saying if a poker player whips an ace out of his sock during the game he isn't a cheater - and if he gets away with it it's purely the dealer's fault and no blame goes to the player.
The analogy's flawed, but I get what you're saying.
Think we just have different definitions for the word 'cheater'.
to you.
Old 28 November 2020, 02:20 AM   #54
daveathall
"TRF" Member

I honestly look at the handball goal as like a "cheeky chappy" sort of thing, he got away with it and good luck to him, if it had been at the other end and one of our players had got away with it, so be it. When one of the greatest footballers of all time does it, there seems to be more outrage, I don't think England has ever been in the position of having one of the greatest players. (I know there will be a whole host of players mentioned now, but none will come close to Pele, Maradona, Messi Ronaldo or Cruyff) I think the best we can manage is one of the best Goalkeepers in Banks, but thats about it.

Truthfully? When I think of Maradona, I think about the brilliant runs and goals he has done, the one handball doesn't sully the memory of a soccer genius.

DAVE

Old 28 November 2020, 03:58 AM   #55
TheVTCGuy
Banned

For a Dorklehead American, can someone explain what he did in the “Hand of God” goal?
Old 28 November 2020, 04:19 AM   #56
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
For a Dorklehead American, can someone explain what he did in the “Hand of God” goal?
You can't use your hands on soccer, Paul. He placed his hand just a little above his head to hit the ball before the keeper and score the goal.
Old 28 November 2020, 04:21 AM   #57
daveathall
"TRF" Member

DAVE

Old 28 November 2020, 04:22 AM   #58
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In a game, he handled the ball over the goal keeper into the goal, it was not seen by the referee, he never admitted it but when asked about it, he said it was "the hand of god." He got away with one, fair nuff in my opinion.

DAVE

Old 28 November 2020, 04:32 AM   #59
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Deliberately punched the ball into the net with his hand (which is not allowed in football).
Then claimed it wasn't him after all - God was guiding his hand
Then he scored another goal which looks brilliant but isn't that good when you realise who the players were who he was gliding past (a knackered Peter Reid etc).
It's one of the great media myths that goal. What Maradona did at Napoli is far greater than that goal and he scored many better individual goals against better opposition, as have many other players.
Still a top 5 GOAT player though.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 06:05 AM   #60
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Oh, thanks, I understand now. So he made it look like he was using his head to direct the ball in to the net when in actuality it was his hand above (or at the side) of his head.

The goal should have been disallowed. It is a shame the refs missed it, (do they have instant replay in soccer?). I can see why you Brits are upset about it and won’t try to change your mind. From an outsider’s view, I would be more upset with the refs, but that’s just MHO. As for him being a tremendous talent, no doubt. As for him being a cheater..? Yeah probably, but hitting a ball with your hand I don’t believe is anywhere near the level of cheating other athletes have done. The Houston Astro’s for example. Stole the pitching signs ( the sign the catcher gave to the pitcher to tell him what kind of pitch to throw) then used an electronic device underneath the batters shirt to signal him what kind of pitch was coming. They won the World Series with that help. Now THAT is cheating!