The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 November 2020, 03:21 AM   #1
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Patek 5212A

Hi all,

I normally post in the main Rolex Forum and have had a great year purchasing some fantastic watches (WG Daytona, DD President, GMT BLNR)... but I really wanted to find the old man the perfect watch. After many months of researching and dropping him hints, it's the Patek 5212A that he loves.

I have bought a Patek Calatrava before (5153G-010) but Patek (London) were very clear with me that the waiting list will be years.

So I've decided to go grey and have struck a deal on the watch.

Whilst I love the brown strap, I think he'd like an additional dark strap for evening events. I'm guessing that Patek will not just sell me a strap? I will ask when I receive this but have any of you that have gone grey found another way to source a Patek strap? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Here is a stock photo of the beauty

Current collection: WG OF Daytona 116519LN, Blue Sky Dweller, GMT Master II BLRO and BLNR, YG DayDate 36mm, A lot of OPs/AirKings, Patek Calatrava 5153g and 5212A, IWC Big Pilot, 2 IWC Portugueses, FM Vanguard, Tag Carrera and Ulysse Nardin Marine
motisingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 03:42 AM   #2
Will_L
"TRF" Member

Absolute beauty and you are right thinking that a darker strap would look nice. The way to go would be a Camille Fournet for a high-end, handmade stunner of a strap. If you want details, send me a PM

Many congratulations and wear it in good health!
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 03:48 AM   #3
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
It’s a beautiful watch, although you do need good eyesight for this one.

Maybe patek can sell you a strap for this one , there is a navy blue strap for the 5524 that I think it would look nice on yours , if the the lug-lug size is 41 that is

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 03:59 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's a great piece, congrats, I think dark brown goes well with a white dial. C Fournet or ABP Paris can make you a custom strap.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 04:00 AM   #5
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations

Patek will absolutely sell you a strap. I have mine on a 5172G strap and also a nubuck Camille Fournet- they look similar but the Patek strap doesn’t have a nap.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 04:04 AM   #6
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
If you own the watch, Patek will certainly sell a strap, etc.

Beautiful choice!
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 04:18 AM   #7
Will_L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
It’s a beautiful watch, although you do need good eyesight for this one.

Maybe patek can sell you a strap for this one , there is a navy blue strap for the 5524 that I think it would look nice on yours , if the the lug-lug size is 41 that is

Congrats

The 5524 has a lug width of 21mm and the 5212 has a lug width of 20mm, so that is not going to fit.

You can order a strap from Patek Philippe for 800 bucks or go custom for 300 and have the same quality, I know what I would do
Old 11 November 2020, 04:21 AM   #8
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your help.

I will get the watch in the next few weeks and share the pictures on here.

Cannot wait to give it to my Dad for Xmas after what’s been such an awful year.

Thank you once again
Current collection: WG OF Daytona 116519LN, Blue Sky Dweller, GMT Master II BLRO and BLNR, YG DayDate 36mm, A lot of OPs/AirKings, Patek Calatrava 5153g and 5212A, IWC Big Pilot, 2 IWC Portugueses, FM Vanguard, Tag Carrera and Ulysse Nardin Marine
Old 11 November 2020, 04:22 AM   #9
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Congratulations

Patek will absolutely sell you a strap. I have mine on a 5172G strap and also a nubuck Camille Fournet- they look similar but the Patek strap doesn’t have a nap.

Wow it was your watch I saw on Instagram the other day (I searched for the hashtag)! Congratulations and those straps are lovely.
Old 11 November 2020, 04:42 AM   #10
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_L View Post
The 5524 has a lug width of 21mm and the 5212 has a lug width of 20mm, so that is not going to fit.

You can order a strap from Patek Philippe for 800 bucks or go custom for 300 and have the same quality, I know what I would do

Yeah that’s why I said that it would need to be 41mm, more than anything I want it to give the idea of the color and the kind of strap.

My first Fournier strap I was very happy with ; but the last one , was really the last one ! lol ...take a look below

Don’t know if you can see what I am taking about , because the angle of the pic , but yeah it was short at the lugs.

Sometimes is better to pay the extra money ...I also like the idea that the strap is OEM. So it’s not entirely related to the quality of the strap because I could find someone else but I choose not to.

Just preferences

Albert Einstein
Old 11 November 2020, 04:55 AM   #11
Will_L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Yeah that’s why I said that it would need to be 41mm, more than anything I want it to give the idea of the color and the kind of strap.

My first Fournier strap I was very happy with ; but the last one , was really the last one ! lol ...take a look below

Don’t know if you can see what I am taking about , because the angle of the pic , but yeah it was short at the lugs.

Sometimes is better to pay the extra money ...I also like the idea that the strap is OEM. So it’s not entirely related to the quality of the strap because I could find someone else but I choose not to.

Just preferences

I see what you mean. I haven't had that myself with any strap and it shouldn't have happened with CF. Why not send them a picture and request a replacement ?
Old 11 November 2020, 06:42 AM   #12
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_L View Post
I see what you mean. I haven't had that myself with any strap and it shouldn't have happened with CF. Why not send them a picture and request a replacement ?

That was like 3-4 years ago , that watch is long gone. Lol ... I am down to 1 patek now, ... I just live vicariously through other members now

Albert Einstein
Old 11 November 2020, 10:28 AM   #13
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Congrats! This watch is so beautiful.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 10:40 AM   #14
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Very nice.
Old 11 November 2020, 11:40 PM   #15
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Congratulations! Taking collecting to the next level - something much finer about a dress piece on a strap.

Yes Patek will sell you a strap - as others have said it may also make sense to look at some high end custom straps - Jean Rousseau, Camille Fournet, Atelier du Bracelet Parisien.
Old 12 November 2020, 12:42 AM   #16
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Congratulations! Taking collecting to the next level - something much finer about a dress piece on a strap.

Yes Patek will sell you a strap - as others have said it may also make sense to look at some high end custom straps - Jean Rousseau, Camille Fournet, Atelier du Bracelet Parisien.
I have had several straps made by both Fournet and Rousseau with excellent results.

Beautiful watch indeed.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 12:45 AM   #17
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Beautiful watch and enjoy it in good health. I personally think that the 5212 is one of Patek's unsung heroes.

For the record, I swear by Jean Rousseau straps.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 01:03 AM   #18
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Thank you all and this is so helpful.

I will post pictures of the watch next week and then think about the right strap in 2021! Thank you for all of the recommendations
Old 12 November 2020, 03:40 AM   #19
bharat
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch!
bharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2020, 01:11 AM   #20
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Very cool and unique watch dial. Question - do the day of the week and week of the year indicators change "instantaneously" or gradually over the course of an hour or so?
Old 13 November 2020, 01:58 PM   #21
Neurogeek
"TRF" Member

Congrats and what a beautiful pic you have there!
Ive never changed the strap on my 5212A but i ordered patek aligator strap and WG pins for my 5960/1A (as the SS pin sizes differerntly).
So no prob, once you get the watch, go to any patek AD and i think they ll order the strap for you.
Old 13 November 2020, 02:18 PM   #22
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurogeek View Post
Ive never changed the strap on my 5212A but i ordered patek aligator strap and WG pins for my 5960/1A (as the SS pin sizes differerntly).
So no prob, once you get the watch, go to any patek AD and i think they ll order the strap for you.
Can you let me know the details on WG pins ordered for 5960/1A? I'm interested in using the strap for my 5960/1A as well, but don't know what serial
number for the pin to order from AD. How much did you pay for it anyway? Thanks.
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2020, 03:23 PM   #23
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Very cool and unique watch dial. Question - do the day of the week and week of the year indicators change "instantaneously" or gradually over the course of an hour or so?
Curious about this as well
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2020, 07:42 PM   #24
Will_L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
Curious about this as well
It creeps to the end of the bracket of the current day and and around midnight it flips to the center of the next day
Old 13 November 2020, 10:33 PM   #25
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for your help.

I collect it next Friday
Old 13 November 2020, 10:55 PM   #26
Neurogeek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huydoan View Post
Can you let me know the details on WG pins ordered for 5960/1A? I'm interested in using the strap for my 5960/1A as well, but don't know what serial
number for the pin to order from AD. How much did you pay for it anyway? Thanks.
Not sure abt the serial number. But i am pretty sure we order the pins on 5960G as the SS ones were too small.
i think it was 5-7k USD ish (2 WG pins , WG 5960G buckle, aligator strap).

Since i changed the strap, it has been my favourite watch in my collection. Just my 2c :)
Old 13 November 2020, 10:58 PM   #27
Neurogeek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motisingh View Post
Thank you for your help.

I collect it next Friday
Have fun !! I m sure your dad will appreciate it! It wears fairly light though.
Old 13 November 2020, 11:06 PM   #28
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
Quote:
Not sure abt the serial number. But i am pretty sure we order the pins on 5960G as the SS ones were too small.
i think it was 5-7k USD ish (2 WG pins , WG 5960G buckle, aligator strap).

Since i changed the strap, it has been my favourite watch in my collection. Just my 2c :)

Thank you.

huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 03:26 AM   #29
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Collected the beauty today! Will have to keep it quiet now until Xmas day (I had to take a wrist shot of course)

I’m sure he will be ecstatic when his grandchildren present it to him dressed as elves!

I’ll post pictures when we decide on the replacement strap. Thanks again everyone

Old 18 November 2020, 03:32 AM   #30
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motisingh View Post
Collected the beauty today! Will have to keep it quiet now until Xmas day (I had to take a wrist shot of course)

I’m sure he will be ecstatic when his grandchildren present it to him dressed as elves!

I’ll post pictures when we decide on the replacement strap. Thanks again everyone

Congratulations. Love the date set (week 52 I think though )
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote