The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 November 2020, 05:22 AM   #1
colpol
"TRF" Member

Pam00683

Hello

My first dip into this sub forum. Was 99.9% sure my next purchase would be an Omega Speedmaster professional. Been reluctant to pull the trigger until this pandemic cools down which given me the chance to look at other brands models while been under lockdown

Nothing new really stuck out until I saw a couple of reviews of the panerai submersible 00683. Really got my attention

Just wondered if anyone bought one recently? Pictures ? Thoughts ? Buying experience ?

The main line dealers in Scotland are showing mrrp as £8500 but the watch seems readily available at not much over £7k. What’s the depreciation hit on a watch like this ? I know someone who took a 50% hit on a planet ocean a few years back & keen to avoid anything like that. I know if you buy the Speedmaster at discount - you’ve pretty much avoided a hard hit if somewhere down the line wanted to move it on

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9129E14B-626D-4632-95BD-6D0163B6DD8A.jpeg (94.7 KB, 357 views)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 05:46 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Panerai watches that are 44mm and above (case size) do better in the market.
So in this case I would recommend Pam 1305 , which I had before. And it’s a great watch.

Let’s face it , usually people that likes Panerai likes big watches (and Panerai historically is about big watches) . And for those who either their wrist is too small or don’t like the size, Panerai has made smaller cases from 38-42 , I believe. But when you go to those sizes your market also gets smaller
Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 08:08 AM   #3
colpol
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback.

47 just too big for me. Biggest watch tried to date was the 45 planet ocean & wasn’t comfortable with the size

Maybe need to wait till this current lockdown in UK ends & try the watch on over a few visits
Old 26 November 2020, 03:12 AM   #4
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

47 just too big for me. Biggest watch tried to date was the 45 planet ocean & wasn’t comfortable with the size

Maybe need to wait till this current lockdown in UK ends & try the watch on over a few visits
absolutely you need to try it, specially if it is your first panerai. You might be surprised that they can be comfortable regardless of the size.
The 47m size can be an issue on the Luminors because the crown guard can impinge on your outer wrist. That's why I loved to wear the 557 (destro). I Might get it back someday

Cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 02:39 AM   #5
Bucky
"TRF" Member

I went a while back to try the 683 on and also went to try the 1389. The 1389 if you look at it just as a wrist shot looks massive and the 683 looks right but then when you look at a full mirror shot the 683 just looked too small and the 1389 overall looked better. Yes it is a big watch but it is a Panerai so is known for being larger wearing then a Rolex. Of course if you have spaghetti arms then maybe the 47mm is too big but if you can pull off a 47mm go with that one. I still have not pulled the trigger on the 1389 but know that is the one for me and not the 683
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 02:54 AM   #6
Bucky
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=690128
Old 29 November 2020, 02:56 AM   #7
Bucky
"TRF" Member

Click on the link and this thread will show you photos of the 683 and the 1389 and show you what I mean about wrist shots and full body photos
Old 29 November 2020, 02:57 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

How large is your wrist?

Jorge is right, you really do need to try them on. There’s no doubt they are large watches however, they really do wear differently than their published sizes would suggest.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 11:53 PM   #9
colpol
"TRF" Member

I’ve never measured my wrist before ;.)

Just back from my lunchtime walk - few degrees above freezing so my wrist cold is just over 7.5 inches. In the summer the SMP can go tight so maybe pushes 8 in summer. My smp is 41 & not sure I’d want to go bigger/ hence reason for looking at 42 & no higher

I was looking through the what you wearing today thread & there’s a lot of pics in there that the watch lugs hanging off the wrist. That might be fine for some but not my style / just looks wrong in my book.

Defo need to make a few visits in new year to confirm/ compare but 99% certain I wouldn’t go higher than the 42
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5940F9AD-0CBC-457C-8D8D-772BDA0895A0.jpeg (99.2 KB, 221 views)
Old 1 December 2020, 12:39 AM   #10
turpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC MasterCalendar
Pam00683

Quote:
99% certain I wouldn’t go higher than the 42
Ahahahaaaa! If I had a penny for every time I’ve heard - or even personally thought - that, and then seen it get overturned the minute a Panerai hits that person’s (my own included) wrist, I’d have enough pennies to make my pockets jingle when I walk.

I was exactly the same way; a few years ago, I balked at the thought of a 42mm Planet Ocean, as ‘watches just shouldn’t ever be bigger than 40mm’.

My go-to watch today? 47mm wire-lug Radiomir.

I’m not saying that you won’t find a 42mm Panerai that you like - but I am saying that you should try on 44mm, and even 47mm, options when you get the chance. Also, don’t forget to look at yourself in a larger mirror, from further away, as the standard ‘hold wrist in front of face’ perspective makes every watch look way bigger than it actually is.

Happy hunting!
turpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 09:20 AM   #11
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpe View Post
Ahahahaaaa! If I had a penny for every time I’ve heard - or even personally thought - that, and then seen it get overturned the minute a Panerai hits that person’s (my own included) wrist, I’d have enough pennies to make my pockets jingle when I walk.

I was exactly the same way; a few years ago, I balked at the thought of a 42mm Planet Ocean, as ‘watches just shouldn’t ever be bigger than 40mm’.

My go-to watch today? 47mm wire-lug Radiomir.

I’m not saying that you won’t find a 42mm Panerai that you like - but I am saying that you should try on 44mm, and even 47mm, options when you get the chance. Also, don’t forget to look at yourself in a larger mirror, from further away, as the standard ‘hold wrist in front of face’ perspective makes every watch look way bigger than it actually is.

Happy hunting!
How big is your wrist? I've been thinking about a 47mm wire lug Radiomir, whose lug to lug is shorter than my previously owned 44mm Luminor, but I think the former looks a bit like a 'clock' on my smaller wrist.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 09:23 AM   #12
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:

Just back from my lunchtime walk - few degrees above freezing so my wrist cold is just over 7.5 inches. In the summer the SMP can go tight so maybe pushes 8 in summer. My smp is 41 & not sure I’d want to go bigger/ hence reason for looking at 42 & no higher

I was looking through the what you wearing today thread & there’s a lot of pics in there that the watch lugs hanging off the wrist. That might be fine for some but not my style / just looks wrong in my book.

Defo need to make a few visits in new year to confirm/ compare but 99% certain I wouldn’t go higher than the 42

At 7.5" you can definitely wear a 47mm, and that would be my recommendation if you want to minimize depreciation on this piece.

If I was in your shoes, I would be getting the 1305 and not look back. Ti watch with the lightweight feel with brushed case and bezel.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 10:24 AM   #13
turpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC MasterCalendar
Pam00683

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
How big is your wrist? I've been thinking about a 47mm wire lug Radiomir, whose lug to lug is shorter than my previously owned 44mm Luminor, but I think the former looks a bit like a 'clock' on my smaller wrist.
According to my highly scientific ‘wrap shoelace around wrist and then measure it’ technique, I’m pretty much bang-on at 7”.

Here’s a photo* of my 47mm 424 on one wrist, and my 44mm 634 on the other, in case it helps:

*photo credit: my ‘didn’t even ask why the hell I asked her to do this’ wife.
turpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 12:09 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

I’d definitely have a look at 47’s. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how they look and feel on your wrist. I have a 47 mm Radiomir 690 and it wears very well on my 7” wrist.

Good luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 05:06 AM   #15
Sandlapper1960
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
Regarding the 683, 42mm Sub. I have a 7.75 Inch wrist and I own a 973, which is the steel bezel version of the 42mm Submersible. Having owned and worn 42mm Planet Oceans, 43mm IWC's and a 43mm Omega Aqua Terra, the 42mm Sub does not wear small!!
Also, the 22 /20 mm strap on the 42mm is not as chunky. In my opinion, the thick bezel on the submersible makes it wear more like a 44mm Luminor. Either way, 47mm or 42mm it's all about what you like and feel comfortable with !!

Regards
Sandlapper1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 05:29 AM   #16
stockae92
"TRF" Member

My "issue" with the 683 is that .. while the 389 / 1389 is anti-mag, the 683 is not.

The ceramic bezel is still nice, but its missing that little something extra like 305 vs 389.

anyway, i think 42mm sub is great. For people with smaller wrist size, 42mm works well, and should work with NATO style strap too. I can't kinda pull of NATO for 44mm luminor, but I think a 42mm case would work better.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote