The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2020, 11:51 AM   #1
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Buy Used

Question for the forum.

Anyone here ever hear about someone buying a used Rolex with full box and papers from someone else who wasn't the original owner and the watch turned up stolen?

If I can get the serial number, can I call Rolex and verify the watch is clean?

Editing my post:

Reason I ask is, I'm on the verge of making my very first used purchase. I've always EVER bought new. SO, I have some concerns and asking for some tips.

The guy I'm thinking of buying from is not the original owner. The warrantee card is filled out under a different name and the watch was purchased new 1 year ago.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 11:52 AM   #2
avidflyer
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

100 percent plausible
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 11:53 AM   #3
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
I have seen threads about it
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:01 PM   #4
MSchu
Banned

It's a thing.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:05 PM   #5
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Anything is possible.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:32 PM   #6
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I want to but my wife won’t let me
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:41 PM   #7
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
If I ask for the serial number on the watch, can I call Rolex and confirm the status of the watch?????
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:44 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s quite possible.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:50 PM   #9
djgallo
Banned

Not yet...have you?
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:06 PM   #10
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Yes, it is possible. I would call a RSC with the serial number and go from there. Buying from a trusted seller here on TRF would probably be the safest way to buy used IMO.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:16 PM   #11
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I think if you buy form a trusted member like a davidsw , timepiece gentlemen , Takayu, just Rolex etc you would be fine. I have never heard of them selling a stolen watch and if so I bet they would fix it.
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:30 PM   #12
MSchu
Banned

I do see blitz of listings for secondary market rolexs by newer accounts with under 500 posts in the for sale section... and that scares me.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:54 PM   #13
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Had that happen to a friend. Bought a stolen watch from a reputable grey. Didn't find out about it until years later when it went in for service. I do believe that the grey dealer genuinely didn't know but it's also unrealistic that they would run every watch to see if it's stolen or if they can even do that I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 03:14 PM   #14
Bob_Loblaw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
If I ask for the serial number on the watch, can I call Rolex and confirm the status of the watch?????
I cannot answer your question one way or the other. Paul Thorpe has recently (Jan 12, 2020) published a YouTube video titled "Reinstate the Official Rolex Lost & Stolen register". This is an attempt on his part to encourage Rolex to make it possible to do what you ask. The implication, then, is that getting the information you wish from Rolex is not currently possible. That does not mean you can't call Rolex with a serial number and ask whether or not that number represents a stolen watch. My personal, uninformed opinion is that they will not provide that information to just anyone off the street.
Bob_Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 04:59 PM   #15
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I always struggle buying secondhand - my bank account can see the benefits - but my head just can't make the same leap (or maybe its my heart).

Whenever I do the math, I always return to three key points (not necessarily to do with watches, nor in this order): Warranty, Stolen/Fake, (Mis)treatment concerns.

Of course, if you are buying something extremely difficult to get new, or indeed, you can no longer buy new, then the equation changes.

I'm also very glad for those who are more than happy to buy secondhand - it means I can move on all my out of warranty, mistreated, fake stuff at a good price!
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 05:52 PM   #16
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Quote:
Question for the forum.

Anyone here ever hear about someone buying a used Rolex with full box and papers from someone else who wasn't the original owner and the watch turned up stolen?

Editing my post:

Reason I ask is, I'm on the verge of making my very first used purchase. I've always EVER bought new. SO, I have some concerns and asking for some tips.

The guy I'm thinking of buying from is not the original owner. The warrantee card is filled out under a different name and the watch was purchased new 1 year ago.
You should meet the seller at an AD and pay to have the watch verified. They will do it for you for a small fee.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 06:51 PM   #17
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Buy Used

It’s tricky, entirely possible.

If you are used to dealing and have some people due diligence skills helps but no guarantee.

If the watch is relatively new, miss B+P and is sold from Spain (infamous for watch thefts) I’d be hesitant. But buying from someone that seems reasonable, have a descent LinkedIn profile and have an explanation where he bought the watch etc. I have sold a few watches to the later category very successfully but always said no to young guys with suspect social media profiles.

Basically I make the judgment if the person would risk reputational damage over a watch.

Depending on the laws of your country you may even be allowed to keep the goods if it turns out stolen and you have made reasonable due diligence to ensure it was not.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 07:58 PM   #18
nevergiveup
Banned

In the USA if have done it.
Before I bought it I called rcs and stated simply I'm buying a used watch from a private seller can I give you serial number to see the service history of the watch. They did and reported back the service history of this particular watch. Also used this method another time. Seller stated the watch I wanted to buy was never serviced it was a new watch year old. So I called Dallas rsc ask them to check if the watch was in their system? They checked and reported they have never had the watch in. According to them this for the U.S only not world wide. Fyi I called both NY and Dallas to double check each time. I like private seekers over grey cut out he middle man so it's cheaper. But you have to put in more homework to research the watch !!!!!!

Last edited by nevergiveup; 15 January 2020 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: additional info
nevergiveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 10:57 PM   #19
cloudplay
Banned

Quote:
I don't know if Rolex will be helpful, but have you tried to contact the previous owner/grey dealer from who "the guy" bought the watch? May sound odd, but I have done that on occasion for used car purchases.

If the previous owner is the original buyer on the warranty card that should (mostly) solve the problem. If the watch had multiple prior private sales within a year, I might start wondering.
cloudplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 11:26 PM   #20
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Anything is possible including that it might not be stolen.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #21
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
OP, be sure to update thread after you call and let us know if you bought it.

I'll bet that 98% of all stolen Rolexes are not reported back to an RSC.

When I buy (and often when I sell) I verify that they are who they say they are, copies of driver's license, actual address, etc. I have no problem providing the same to potential buyers when I decide to sell something. It's fine to be anonymous posting on a web forum, but when you're selling something that costs thousands, be it a car or a watch, you want to know everything you can about who you are doing business with.

Natch it's no guarantee - the seller could legitimately not know that they have a stolen watch. It's part of the reason that used watches sell for less than new. Usually, anyway.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 11:57 PM   #22
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Anything is possible but the first thing I learned here on the forum was buy the seller NOT the watch. It was the best advice I ever learned here.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:04 AM   #23
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Very unlikely taht a thief will steal and sell the complete set with box and papers .

Still do the checks
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:07 AM   #24
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

As some have said; anything is possible. I would be more suspicious if it had no papers though.

Talking from personal experience. I have had three Rolex's stolen from me; amongst others(the box and papers were not with them). They were put in Rolex's stolen database for the U.S. I was informed from Rolex NYC that it does not go throughout the world. I'm not sure if its because each countries Rolex headquarters is like a separate entity from Geneva or you just can't fix stupid. Either way, I am waiting for that day when I get a phone call about my ss Daytona, 50th Sub and Datejust.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:47 AM   #25
supacarrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
My understanding is that no owner identification is taken at time of purchase from an AD. At time of service at a Rolex RSC there is a name associated with a serial number.

If your Rolex has not been through the RSC, then Rolex is unlikely to have any record of the watch ownership to my understanding.

Fun fact: There was a murder famously solved because the man's Rolex had been through the RSC before he was killed. (https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...r-mystery.html)
supacarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:35 AM   #26
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
I could see 4 different scenarios mainly in which a watch will come with complete boxes and papers perfectly matched to a stolen watch

1. Stole it directly from someone's safe or house with watch inside
2. Committed insurance fraud after selling it
3. Stole/Mug the whole set pretending to buy it in a face to face meeting
4. Seller reported it stolen just to be an ass
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 02:47 AM   #27
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
I could see 4 different scenarios mainly in which a watch will come with complete boxes and papers perfectly matched to a stolen watch

1. Stole it directly from someone's safe or house with watch inside
2. Committed insurance fraud after selling it
3. Stole/Mug the whole set pretending to buy it in a face to face meeting
4. Seller reported it stolen just to be an ass
I agree with this, stolen watches don't usually have box and papers. Having said that, everything can be faked, verified dealers have sold fakes, and stolen merchandise, not because they intended to, but where is the data base listing of stolen serial numbers?
Old 16 January 2020, 02:48 AM   #28
Gold Crown
Banned

Watch: 6265 18K Daytona
Quote:
Question for the forum.

Editing my post:

Rolex will not give you that information.
Gold Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 07:03 AM   #29
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Never buy from a private person you don't know. Pay the extra and buy from a trusted seller. They stand behind their products
Old 16 January 2020, 09:38 AM   #30
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
All they can tell you is what they have. It could still be stollen, just not reported.