The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 January 2019, 01:18 AM   #1
robert.h.wade
"TRF" Member

114270 Explorer - First Explorer - Documentation Question

Hi all,

New member to the community following my latest purchase. Its an 114270 Explorer purchased second hand from Ebay.

I am really pleased with it, although I don't have original box & papers. Is there a way I can send it to Rolex and have papers created for it? I am a stickler for documentation and feel this would certainly safeguard any future sale should I decide to part with it.

Thank you for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190101_155013.jpg (213.2 KB, 327 views)
robert.h.wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 01:21 AM   #2
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
The answer is “no”.
Rolex will no recreate a warranty card (papers) and send you the goodies that came with it when new. If you have it serviced by Rolex, they will send a receipt and documentation from that, but it will be different than when it was purchased.
The term “papers” is misleading....it’s a warranty card.
If this stuff means a lot to you, you should have probably purchased one with all the goodies...that model is easy to find.
In my opinion, the goodies are unnecessary for a common daily wearer, so just enjoy.
Old 3 January 2019, 02:00 AM   #3
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Most cost effective way is to send it to Rolex for an insurance evaluation. It won’t be “papers” in the traditional sense. The original warranty documents are a key part of the provenance of a watch which is why they command a premium, especially in the vintage market. The insurance evaluation would only help from a proof of authenticity standpoint, which is another thing altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 02:38 AM   #4
Joergen
"TRF" Member

You will never get a certificate card for the watch, but you will get papers for the watch if you send it to Rolex. An easier way would be to go to a place which appraises and certifies the authenticity of your timepiece, at least it's better than nothing:)
Joergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 03:27 AM   #5
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
As stated you can piece together basically everything from a set besides the original warranty paper/card (depending on the era) and hang tag with serial number. Closest thing you can do is have it serviced by RSC and you'll get a service card.

For the rest of the stuff check some of the box and papers listings for the same watch from the same serial range and see what originally came with it.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 05:35 AM   #6
robert.h.wade
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the response all!

Much appreciated.

When the novelty of wearing it has worn off I will take it to Bournemouth AD and get it sent off for service.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
robert.h.wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
Most cost effective way is to send it to Rolex for an insurance evaluation. It won’t be “papers” in the traditional sense. The original warranty documents are a key part of the provenance of a watch which is why they command a premium, especially in the vintage market. The insurance evaluation would only help from a proof of authenticity standpoint, which is another thing altogether.

Any idea what Rolex charges for that? An alternative would be an appraisal from a local jeweler.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:56 PM   #8
BT1985
"TRF" Member

It’s $150 last time I checked.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 01:02 PM   #9
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Sorry, but I have to ask. Why did you buy it without box and papers? Chances are there is something fishy going on when these things are missing from such recent watch.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 01:06 PM   #10
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Sorry, but I have to ask. Why did you buy it without box and papers? Chances are there is something fishy going on when these things are missing from such recent watch.
Nothing fishy at all. Maybe the original owner just wanted a watch and didn't care for the junk that came with it. Maybe they misplaced it? Majority of people just want a Rolex and aren't collectors and don't care for booklets and boxes and calendar cards.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 01:10 PM   #11
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
Nothing fishy at all. Maybe the original owner just wanted a watch and didn't care for the junk that came with it. Maybe they misplaced it? Majority of people just want a Rolex and aren't collectors and don't care for booklets and boxes and calendar cards.
Agreed, and if the warranty is expired I'm sure lots of people would think why keep that stuff? As long as it's genuine no big deal.
Old 15 January 2019, 01:12 PM   #12
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
It’s $150 last time I checked.

OK, I found a local jeweler that appraised my DJ for under $100, nice report write up.
Old 15 January 2019, 01:37 PM   #13
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Well, I guess chances are that everything is fine. Please let us know what happens.

Congratulations on your nice watch, that is a great Rolex.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote