The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 January 2018, 04:44 AM   #1
Marcel10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Waiting list..
What would you guys do?!?

well this is an interesting way for me end the year..... I'm on a wait list for a Sub C which is awesome, they told me it should be here with in 3-4 months this was a month ago.

but I have a problem now, a mint box and papers Day Date 18238 yellow gold/champagne dial came up for sale from a friend of a friend. He wants 15k Canadian....

If I buy the DD I won't be able to get the Sub...

I'm really stuck the DayDate is a grail watch of mine, I always said when I retire I'll get one.

I've only tried on a DD40 and it fit me perfect I've never tried on the 36MM DD, my next step is to go meet up, try it on and see how I like it.

little info on me:

I'm turning 30 this year
Getting married
just bought a house
I work as a school counsellor not a very high paying job lol

I'll add it took me months to pick the Sub over a TT DJ41 champagne dial, anything yellow gold sings to me. I went with the Sub just because I feel it will age better then the DJ, its a tank, I can wear it 24/7 and not be scared to take it anywhere.BUT The DD is a classic, the price seems very low compared to others on the market and if it wears bigger then the new 36mm DateJust, I feel I'll have tough choice to make.

what would you guys do?

Sorry for rambling on guys!
Marcel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 04:46 AM   #2
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
I bought my first DD (a 19018N OQ) and couldn't be happier.

My sights were originally set on a bluesy but honestly, having made the purchase now I wouldn't have it any other way!
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 04:53 AM   #3
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
You have a long way to go for retirement!!!! The Sub you decided on will go up in value over the next 20 years where the 18238 will not (probably as the 118238 is more desirable at the moment). Additionally you will get a lot of wear out of the Sub.

His price is too high as well.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 05:06 AM   #4
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I would try it on, but it’s smaller than the DD 40 and you’ll notice that. Now, having said that, I used to own a TT Datejust (36 mm) and found that the small feeling went away within a few minutes of putting it on. Unfortunately I had other larger watches so the smaller size bothered me and I reluctantly sold it. If this is going to be your one and only and your wrist is 7” or less I don’t think the smaller size will be an issue. Honestly, I think you’d be happier with the Sub but only you will know for sure. I think 30 is a little early for a retirement Watch!
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 05:06 AM   #5
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

Get the Sub now. Can get your daily for years to come. Get the DD40 on your 40th bday. BE happy!
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 05:09 AM   #6
Naples09
"TRF" Member

I’d wait for the sub. DD will be there in the future.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 05:10 AM   #7
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I would never buy a Rolex that I'd be afraid to wear doing quite literally anything, so I'd wait.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 05:13 AM   #8
Marcel10
"TRF" Member

I figured that would be the vote of the forum. I just needed the reassurance lol.

I wish my sub would just get there already!!!
Old 1 January 2018, 05:57 AM   #9
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Submariner all the way.
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 06:37 AM   #10
Zedder
"TRF" Member

If you are in London, Ontario...there is a new Sub C (no date) in the case in Kitchener...no wait required. I tried it on yesterday....I can put you in touch with the store owner if you like.

BTW...I own a DJ 36 and a Sub date. I wear the Sub much more than the DJ, but the DJ is a very comfortable watch to wear.
Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 06:40 AM   #11
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

100% get the sub. Fits your lifestyle much better, is new and will be with you for years and really make it your own. Only way I'd get a DD now is if you were in love with a mint condition single quick or some obsolete feature that will only become more rare in the future. Otherwise the preowned market will always be there for you. Best of luck.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 06:59 AM   #12
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
You have a long way to go for retirement!!!! The Sub you decided on will go up in value over the next 20 years where the 18238 will not (probably as the 118238 is more desirable at the moment). Additionally you will get a lot of wear out of the Sub.

His price is too high as well.
What he said!!!
Old 3 January 2018, 02:40 AM   #13
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel10 View Post
well this is an interesting way for me end the year..... I'm on a wait list for a Sub C which is awesome, they told me it should be here with in 3-4 months this was a month ago.

but I have a problem now, a mint box and papers Day Date 18238 yellow gold/champagne dial came up for sale from a friend of a friend. He wants 15k Canadian....

If I buy the DD I won't be able to get the Sub...

I'm really stuck the DayDate is a grail watch of mine, I always said when I retire I'll get one.

I've only tried on a DD40 and it fit me perfect I've never tried on the 36MM DD, my next step is to go meet up, try it on and see how I like it.

little info on me:

I'm turning 30 this year
Getting married
just bought a house

I'll add it took me months to pick the Sub over a TT DJ41 champagne dial, anything yellow gold sings to me. I went with the Sub just because I feel it will age better then the DJ, its a tank, I can wear it 24/7 and not be scared to take it anywhere.BUT The DD is a classic, the price seems very low compared to others on the market and if it wears bigger then the new 36mm DateJust, I feel I'll have tough choice to make.

what would you guys do?

Sorry for rambling on guys!
Marcel, this is a wind up, right?

There’s a tiny chance it’s genuine, and if so - I apologise.
However, my dad thought me not to buy an expensive retirement watch just before getting married, after just having bought a house, when the income’s not that great and having more life ahead of me rather than behind me with regards to retirement.
Does that make sense?
Re the watches mentioned, 18238 sings better than Caruso.
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 03:10 AM   #14
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
little info on me:

I'm turning 30 this year
Getting married
just bought a house
Is this a real question? If one of your high school students came to you for counseling re a plan they had for post-graduation, and this coming summer they were going to:

Turn 18
Get married
Buy a house
Start a not a very high-paying job, and
Shell out between $8,000 and $15,000 buying a unnecessary luxury watch (but not sure which one).

As a professional counselor, how would you assess that plan they had for themselves and what would you advise them to do?
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 03:13 AM   #15
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:

little info on me:

I'm turning 30 this year
Getting married
just bought a house

what would you guys do?
Sell my house, not get married, & move to Vegas
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 03:15 AM   #16
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
In all seriousness, the Sub is the most practical luxury watch in the world, in my humble opinion of course. You made the decision you wanted the Sub, don't get impatient and get something else.

I'd bet you could find a quality seller on this board in Canada who can sell you one ASAP.

I'd either wait until I get the call for my watch, keep searching ADs, or contact some sellers here (after doing your DD on them).

Good luck!
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 04:27 AM   #17
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/PAM
Based on the info listed, if I was in this situation I would be more inclined to pick up a Tudor Black Bay or Omega SMP Ceramic and put aside the extra money towards the costs associated with getting married/ purchasing a house.
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 04:48 AM   #18
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
If the Prez if your grail go for a Prez!! HOWEVER, your friend is way over priced. For that kind of money you could get the newer heavy model.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 04:50 AM   #19
vincenzowl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
What would you guys do?!?

I would get the sub for now. When you’re retired and old and no longer think a sub fits your age, flip it for a DD. I’d rather be an old man wear a DD than a sub. That’s just me.
vincenzowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 04:50 AM   #20
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Easy guys be careful not to judge. He mentioned his job perhaps not for the money aspect but for the idea of wearing a Rolex. He might be getting married to a heart surgeon or have a trust fund that would choke a horse.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 05:01 AM   #21
Marcel10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
Easy guys be careful not to judge. He mentioned his job perhaps not for the money aspect but for the idea of wearing a Rolex. He might be getting married to a heart surgeon or have a trust fund that would choke a horse.
!!! I'll make sure to show my wifey that comment. I wish that was the case, trust me we both wish we could go back in time and pick careers based on money but this not an option. The DD will be my retirement watch for sure.
Old 3 January 2018, 05:43 AM   #22
The Sub-lime One
"TRF" Member

The Day-Date is a grail of mine too, possibly my end game.

You’re only 30, and based on your words I’d get the Sub for now. Brand spanking new, make some memories and if the day date scratch continues to persist then scratch it when it’s time to cross that road.
The Sub-lime One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 06:07 AM   #23
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Stick to your game plan...get the sub now (or whenever it comes in) and shoot for a DD when you get closer to retirement.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 06:17 AM   #24
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
If it’s already in your head, you’re going to be thinking about the gold DD every day you wear your Sub. You’ll be thinking about how to trade up or add one. When kids come, you’ll have other financial priorities and regret the watch you could have had back when you were single/just married, but passed on.

I’m not commenting on whether your friend’s watch is a good deal or not... I’ll leave that to the Canadians. But when it comes to buying a watch you really want that will tide you over for the next 10-20 years, you could do a whole lot worse than a DD. I have two, and used one of them as a daily/only for almost 2 years at one point when I thought I’d never want another watch.

Get a DD and quit this forum. It will aid your financial discipline and contentment greatly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 06:20 AM   #25
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
You’re young to be considering a yellow gold DD over an SS Sub...get the Submariner as it’s future price valuation will rocket and when you get older you’ll be able to sell it and get your day date.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 09:03 AM   #26
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
If you are in London, Ontario...there is a new Sub C (no date) in the case in Kitchener...no wait required. I tried it on yesterday....I can put you in touch with the store owner if you like.

BTW...I own a DJ 36 and a Sub date. I wear the Sub much more than the DJ, but the DJ is a very comfortable watch to wear.
Must be in Canada, I was thinking a school counsellor in La La London has bought a house by 30 is impossible Go for the sub now and keep saving and buy the DD in time.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 09:05 AM   #27
rodo
"TRF" Member

15k cad is a bit steep for a 18238. I sold my 118238 (watch only) locally (Canada) for not much more
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 11:26 AM   #28
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
15K is way too high for 18238. More like $9-11k USD depending on year and condition. Recommend get the sub for now. Good luck.
chieftd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 11:32 AM   #29
Spartan1
"TRF" Member

Go with your gut, but my 2 cents says the Sub C will prove to be timeless and more versatile, my friend.
Spartan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 11:51 AM   #30
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

The DD is the ultimate Rolex.

But with your commitments and current age, (been there myself as most here likely have), I’d hazard a guess the Sub will give you more daily satisfaction and blend in better with your young family life style than the DD will right now.

Another DD will come along and you’ve still got your whole life ahead of you. Don’t fret too much about that DD right now.

That would be my advise.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote