The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 June 2018, 10:49 PM   #1
AJDay
"TRF" Member

What would you do?

I had my birth year 16800 serviced by a local AD that has in-house Rolex-trained watchmakers. They lost my bezel pearl and put a tiny scratch on the matte dial. They have been extremely apologetic and accommodating, and found a tritium 16610 bezel insert that was a close match to my original (pearl closer to white than mine, but not too bad). After looking for a long time for a replacement matte dial, they have agreed to just cut me a check.

In reality, the scratch really isn’t very noticeable with the naked eye, only looking closely in the right light and at the right angle, and my dial wasn’t perfect to begin with (had some spotting that is also hard to see with the naked eye). I also think the hands are luminova service replacements. My case is in honest / polished condition. That being said, knowing the scratch is there bothers me.

The compensation from them won’t quite pay for a replacement matte dial, but they also didn’t charge me for the service.

So my options are:

1) keep the watch as-is and try to enjoy it
2) source a better matte dial, tritium hands, and bezel insert to improve the condition and aesthetic. Then try to sell the damaged matte dial (gotta be worth something?) and luminous hands.

Here’s a close-up of the scratch and spotting, and then a wrist shot which is what it really looks like to the naked eye:

What would you do?
AJDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 01:20 AM   #2
mag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Zenith,Tudor
My choice would be 1), it s a tool-watch and shows signs of a hard and sometimes painful life. So, enjoy your watch :-)
mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 01:35 AM   #3
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

#1 I’d live with it... personally i don’t think it’s bad at all.

Also sounds like the dealer did the honorable thing and owned their mistake.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 01:59 AM   #4
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that this has happened. Your AD sounds like they definitely stepped up and took care of you though. I know how things like this can bother you, just knowing they are there. I'm kinda the same way. However, this scratch on the dial is pretty faint and not noticeable to the naked eye in your second pic. Since your dial wasn't perfect anyway with the spotting you had mentioned, I would just leave it alone and enjoy it as it is.

I think the mental thing and knowing that it's there is the toughest part to overcome. If you can get past that, you'll be okay. (I know....easier said than done sometimes!) However, I'm thinking that you're already partway there as you're already asking us on which direction to take. If you were not partially okay with it, I think that you wouldn't even have asked us our thoughts?

You have a beautiful watch with a few battle scars on it already. I would just chalk this up to just another one in the history of your timepiece. There will surely be more in the future as you use it, and I would just keep enjoying it as they come. This is what using a watch is all about! If we wanted to keep our watches in perfect condition, I'm thinking most of us would have ours displayed in a glass case, locked up at home! Now wouldn't that be a real shame?
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 02:15 AM   #5
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

I would probably replace the hands before anything, they are the most jarring thing for me.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 02:51 AM   #6
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Unacceptable. I’ll b so pissed if it happens to me. How could they b so disrespectful to a vintage watch. Can u imagine if it’s a red sub or a comex dial that was scratched like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 03:32 AM   #7
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Try to enjoy it. Looks good!

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 04:24 AM   #8
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Totally unacceptable. That’s a huge scratch in the first picture.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 04:42 AM   #9
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I agree that this was not acceptable, especially when taking the watch to an AD vs some Joe Shmoe watch repair. Not only 1 incident with the watch during this "stay" but TWO?? I would think that they would fire the in-house watchmaker that did this. However, it really sounds like the AD did deeply regret it and did all that they could to remedy the situation. I'm thinking that IF they could go back in time and prevent the incidents, they would. Short of that, the damage is now done and what else could the AD do to make this right after the fact? I am curious.....What would you guys be willing to accept as compensation for this if it happened to you?
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 05:40 AM   #10
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
I would probably replace the hands before anything, they are the most jarring thing for me.

The hands don’t bother me that much in person because the color is pretty close to the hour markers. For a while I thought maybe they were original and just aged differently, but I think the UV lights shows them as luminova?

They glow green and fade very quickly (down to basically nothing within a minute or so)

All that being said, I don’t have much money invested in this watch compared to today’s prices, so I’m tempted to put a little money in and bring up the quality a bit... that’s really my dilemma.
Old 24 June 2018, 05:46 AM   #11
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
Unacceptable. I’ll b so pissed if it happens to me. How could they b so disrespectful to a vintage watch. Can u imagine if it’s a red sub or a comex dial that was scratched like that?

Agreed. This is ridiculous. The watchmaker they used would not be Rolex trained and make all of those errors. Matte dials in particular require especially careful handling because they are so easily scratched. Might be easier to just sell as is and source a better example.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 05:56 AM   #12
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Agreed. This is ridiculous. The watchmaker they used would not be Rolex trained and make all of those errors. Matte dials in particular require especially careful handling because they are so easily scratched. Might be easier to just sell as is and source a better example.

I guess I’ve had time to get over the initial anger. I feel like people are human and make mistakes. They’re mindset is like RSC where they were thinking they would just replace the dial and bezel insert with new... We take for granted that not everyone appreciates the vintage watches for what they are.

I definitely wouldn’t bring a more valuable vintage watch to them (especially since I’ve discovered Phillip Ridley), but I’m not upset with them and they’ve been extremely apologetic and accommodative about it.
Old 24 June 2018, 06:23 AM   #13
Pacha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660,16713,16570
Enjoy your watch, I'm sure it will acquire a few small scratches during it's lifetime and these just add character.
Old 24 June 2018, 07:07 AM   #14
Sherbie
"TRF" Member

Why not ask them to source you a second replacement dial?

Then you have the choice - you could put the replacement dial in the watch, and know that you have the original ( and now unfortunately scratched) dial in storage, ready to be used if you fancy bringing it back to original spec if required

At least this way you come out financially slightly ahead - it seems to me they still owe you ( and they must be insured for this type of mistake anyway)

Best of luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sherbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 07:14 AM   #15
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbie View Post
Why not ask them to source you a second replacement dial?

Then you have the choice - you could put the replacement dial in the watch, and know that you have the original ( and now unfortunately scratched) dial in storage, ready to be used if you fancy bringing it back to original spec if required

At least this way you come out financially slightly ahead - it seems to me they still owe you ( and they must be insured for this type of mistake anyway)

Best of luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They weren’t quite getting the difference between a matte dial and newer service dial at first and had a hard time finding one.

I suggested they cut me a check; it’s almost enough to get a matte dial, but I have the option. They also didn’t charge for the service, so I’m coming out okay.
Old 24 June 2018, 07:32 AM   #16
Ignace Worang
"TRF" Member

I would enjoy while asking for a spot in the waiting list for Daytona or Pepsi :-)
Ignace Worang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 09:38 PM   #17
Xantiagib
"TRF" Member

if you're keeping the watch forever your eyesight will not notice the scratch as you get older...
Xantiagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 10:16 PM   #18
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry that it happened and you seem to be dealing with it well. I would source a replacement dial and have it swapped. I would keep the original and have the total package should I ever want to move on.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 10:10 PM   #19
JPMickB83
"TRF" Member

Regarding the hands, I have a 1991 16610 with very similar looking hands and I have the same situation - no glow from pip/Dial but hands still have lume. My hands also have the same tarnished appearance as yours.

My hands are actually a slightly darker creme color than the dial, which I also can’t figure out, since they’re likely replacements. What would cause tarnishing on supposedly gold hands and result in darker lume? I was concerned about water being the culprit, but a watchmaker cracked the back and said the movement looked good (albeit a little dry).

Outside of the hands, my watch is in incredible (what appears to be unpolished) condition. I don’t want to risk damage during overhaul and probably can’t find good (matching) tritium hands, but the appearance of the hands irk me.

JPMickB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 03:41 AM   #20
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMickB83 View Post
Regarding the hands, I have a 1991 16610 with very similar looking hands and I have the same situation - no glow from pip/Dial but hands still have lume. My hands also have the same tarnished appearance as yours.
I was speaking to Phillip Ridley about my watch and he said it could be that my hands were re-lumed with Luminova - specifically because of the darker spot on the hour hand under UV light... Maybe yours were re-lumed at some point?
Old 27 June 2018, 03:56 AM   #21
JPMickB83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDay View Post
I was speaking to Phillip Ridley about my watch and he said it could be that my hands were re-lumed with Luminova - specifically because of the darker spot on the hour hand under UV light... Maybe yours were re-lumed at some point?

A re-lume is possible, but my guess is if that’s the case then it wasn’t done by an RSC, since the watch appears to have never been polished (and I think it’s a pretty recent trend to avoid polishing during service). It also doesn’t appear to have been worn very much, so I can’t imagine the owner going through the trouble of a relume. My hope is that the tritium Dial and pearl will age to the same color and everything will match. May take a few years though, haha.

Old 27 June 2018, 05:53 AM   #22
Woody
"TRF" Member

If it was mine I would just bite the bullet and sell the watch......that scratch would always bother me (I know what i am like!!). I would then put the money towards sourcing a replacement.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 06:49 AM   #23
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
If it was mine I would just bite the bullet and sell the watch......that scratch would always bother me (I know what i am like!!). I would then put the money towards sourcing a replacement.
Thanks all for the input.

I've decided to replace the dial and hands and get an insert that shows a little more age. The primary reasons are that the watch is freshly serviced and, even with the new parts, my total investment in the watch is well enough below current market value that I think it makes more sense financially. I'm sure I'll end up with a watch that I enjoy.
Old 27 June 2018, 07:21 AM   #24
saskmh
"TRF" Member

I would wear it. The scratch is not that bad.

If you do decide to source another dial I'll buy that one from you ;)
Old 27 June 2018, 07:26 AM   #25
JPMickB83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDay View Post
Thanks all for the input.

I've decided to replace the dial and hands and get an insert that shows a little more age. The primary reasons are that the watch is freshly serviced and, even with the new parts, my total investment in the watch is well enough below current market value that I think it makes more sense financially. I'm sure I'll end up with a watch that I enjoy.

Good for you AJ. Watches are oddly personal and evoke strange, irrational emotional responses, so making sure you’re happy with the watch and look forward to reaching for it in the morning is definitely most important.

To “remedy” my situation I was able to get a small refund from the seller, since I think there was some misrepresentation (albeit unintentional).

Old 6 August 2018, 03:25 AM   #26
AJDay
"TRF" Member

Resurrecting this for an update.

The AD cut me a check and I bought a nice matte dial from Kirill Yuzh (LunarOyster), then traded my old damaged dial and hands for a set of tritium hands that match the dial pretty well and a faded insert. I now have two black inserts with tritium pearls to choose from and the slightly faded one.

I’m happy with how it came out:

Old 7 August 2018, 04:44 AM   #27
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Killer watch, glad the guy made it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 09:06 AM   #28
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Bravo! While I didn't chime in on the first go-around with this thread, I was thinking you should get a new dial, hands and insert... Looks great!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 10:19 AM   #29
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
Try to enjoy it. Looks good!
How does a scratch across the dial and a missing pearl “look good”??
That’s absurd.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:36 AM   #30
ar2151
"TRF" Member

Think you made a good choice, it looks great! Sorry that happened, but think you got a pretty watch out of it. Hopefully that AD will owe you from now on ;)
ar2151 is offline   Reply With Quote