The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 October 2016, 01:28 AM   #1
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
ROO vs Aquanaut

As my daily watch I currently have a Steel AP Royal Oak Offshore which I am looking to 'trade in' for something a little more fancy, I want a bit of rose gold in my daily watch!

The obvious upgrade would be a 44mm rose gold Offshore, but I think it is just a little too much, though I absolutely love how it looks on it's own, not sure when I wear it...

That leaves me looking today at the PP store and admiring the Rose Gold Aquanaut, 5164R.

Whilst the ROO 44mm and 5164R are very different in style, I have somehow narrowed it down to these two! They both have rubber straps, rose gold, useful complications and are just beautiful watches. The PP is a slimmer design, so less likely to get knocked than the bulky ROO, but has a more easily scratched rose gold bezel, compared to the ROO's ceramic.

The price of both is similar as I plan on buying brand new from my local AD, neither brand would offer discounts on list price.

Any thoughts on either of these watches - particularly as a daily watch? I already own a 5205R (black dial) which is a fantastic watch but I only use on evenings out due to it's dressier style.

Is the new aquanaut well regarded, as the 44mm ROO is, perhaps an important consideration for future value if I were to resell in a few years time (not that I plan to).

Thanks for any advice.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 02:04 AM   #2
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
I'd suggest a Piaget Polo 45, it's a watch I've owned myself for almost a year and genuinely I've found it is versatile enough for casual and formal as well as being very functional with the second timezone and flyback chrono.

youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 02:34 AM   #3
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
You can always take a look at the Rolex Yacht-Master 40mm 116655. It comes on a rubber strap. Have you considered a RO in RG either on a bracelet or a strap. Do you like the 44mm size? If you want a smaller size take a look at my options. I like the 5164R but for the price i just think there are better options out there.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 02:43 AM   #4
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
ROO vs Aquanaut

The 5164 is stunning and would be my choice if I was trading an AP. This or the 5990 that adds a chrono.

Of course, the all gold RO chronograph is spectacular as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 October 2016, 02:52 AM   #5
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Between these two I'd go ROO as I'm not a fan of the Aqua unless its the plain dial...too busy for me. If you want strap and don't have to go rubber, what about 5980r or 5712r? I love the Naut on strap and you'd be within your price range...relatively
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 02:53 AM   #6
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofrolex View Post
for the price i just think there are better options out there.
+1
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 03:44 AM   #7
justdate
"TRF" Member

The 116655 is a nice idea in theory, rose gold, rubber strap, good every day wearability, but when I tried it on it just didn't do anything for me, didn't feel all that special.

The Nautilus Chronograph full Rose Gold is amazing, the AD had one in stock today and I absolutely loved it. But it is a lot more money and very flashy, so not for me this time round. The non-chrono Nautilus is too thin for my tastes, and the leather strap Nautilus and steel/bi-metal Chronographs would just leave me wishing they were full YG, not a satisfying purchase.

I'm not much of a fan of leather straps on my daily watch, doesn't tend to suit me. So it has to either be metal or rubber.

So that being the case, I'm struggling to see a better option than one of these two. I'm definitely leaning towards the Aquanaut as I like that is the more 'grown up' / 'mature' style. But still open to ideas.
Old 22 October 2016, 03:56 AM   #8
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

You can always look at full bracelet pieces from rolex such as a RG Daytona, YG sub, DD40. Im just trying to get as much value watch for the price.

I have a feeling a RG sub/GMT style watch will come out for rolex in basel 2017. Maybe a RG GMT. And if were all lucky a Rolex Platinum GMT or Sub.

Old 22 October 2016, 03:58 AM   #9
martinr
"TRF" Member

5164R by a country mile. RG 44 ROO would be too heavy for everyday all day.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 03:59 AM   #10
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have a ROO and the RB2 and a 5164...they are so incredibly different.

Just go with the one that feels better!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 05:29 AM   #11
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
I like the idea of a 5980r as another consideration.
Old 22 October 2016, 05:53 AM   #12
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I like the idea of a 5980r as another consideration.
Best sports PP but like OP said its very expensive.

Old 22 October 2016, 05:58 AM   #13
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
Best sports PP but like OP said its very expensive.

I think he tried on the /1r, which is much more given the bracelet.
Old 22 October 2016, 06:07 AM   #14
justdate
"TRF" Member

Yes I tried the 5980R with gold bracelet, so quite an expensive watch. I am not sure if they have the leather strap version at the AD for me to compare side by side but will go back and check tomorrow. I will also try the date only Nautiulus which is in full rose gold as that's an almost identical price to the RG aquanaut so an interesting comparison.
Old 22 October 2016, 07:30 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As my avatar shows I have a RG Nautilus and RG 44 and they cover me for different occasions and moods, and I love them both immensely, however if you want just one for everyday on a strap then the 5164r is a great choice, slim, elegant and the RG and brown combo is stunning, altho as you say the 5711 1R is much better bang for your buck.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 07:33 AM   #16
JapRs
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatek
Aquanaut for me. Very very comfy
JapRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 07:37 AM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
As my daily watch I currently have a Steel AP Royal Oak Offshore which I am looking to 'trade in' for something a little more fancy, I want a bit of rose gold in my daily watch!

Thanks for any advice.
Aquanaut... Is many things but "fancy" is not what comes to my mind.
Old 22 October 2016, 08:09 AM   #18
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
Yes I tried the 5980R with gold bracelet, so quite an expensive watch. I am not sure if they have the leather strap version at the AD for me to compare side by side but will go back and check tomorrow. I will also try the date only Nautiulus which is in full rose gold as that's an almost identical price to the RG aquanaut so an interesting comparison.
I think the 5711/1r is the most beautiful of the three options, but I'm not sure I could wear a full rose gold watch - if you can, then get that. So I would probably go for the 5164r. I really like the AP too and it would be a fantastic watch, but I personally think the look of the 5164 will age better.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 08:14 AM   #19
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
I'd suggest a Piaget Polo 45, it's a watch I've owned myself for almost a year and genuinely I've found it is versatile enough for casual and formal as well as being very functional with the second timezone and flyback chrono.

I wouldn't put Piaget in the same league as Patek or AP. No disrespect but I don't think this should be a consideration.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 08:54 AM   #20
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
^^ +1 on above LOL. That was kinda out of left field.

I currently HAVE a 5167R and it's very comfortable, so while i have not tried the 5164R , I am sure it is also that. Plus the full rose case is sublime. Really shows off the contrast between the brushed and polished finishing. And it is not too over the top like a full rose bracelet for everyday wear.
(having said that I think the 5711/1R is the best looking full rose gold in this price range - actually pondering it myself, but not for daily wear).
I tried on the 44 AP RG and both too heavy and too big for my wrist. If you are looking for comfort, Aquanaut is the easy choice here. However I DO love how the AP "looks" and if it was more comfortable on my wrist, I probably would have bought it.
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 10:01 AM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I love both Aquanauts in RG and have the 5167R, I considered for a long time between the AP 44RG and it, but the AP was just a little too much, too big, though at 6.9 I can sport it, and too bling, plus not a chrono fan, so got the 5167R and am very happy, the 5164R is awesome but IMO overpriced for what it is, don't think it will retain value as well as the 5167R, in any case 3 great watches only you can decide
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 10:06 AM   #22
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I love both Aquanauts in RG and have the 5167R, I considered for a long time between the AP 44RG and it, but the AP was just a little too much, too big, though at 6.9 I can sport it, and too bling, plus not a chrono fan, so got the 5167R and am very happy, the 5164R is awesome but IMO overpriced for what it is, don't think it will retain value as well as the 5167R, in any case 3 great watches only you can decide
+1. That RG aqua is special and if you want rubber and looking to under the radar there is nothing better
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 10:25 AM   #23
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Patek for me.

No discount? Maybe on Patek being new but unless somethings changed the AP should definitely be discounted.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 11:33 PM   #24
justdate
"TRF" Member

So after visiting again, the aquanaut didn't make sense, I just feel it's expensive for what it is and on the wrist it's a little similar to my black and rose gold 5205R.

That makes the 5711/1R the obvious choice, a beautiful watch. Should I expect to pay list price or is any discount achievable from a U.K. AD?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0824.jpg (82.0 KB, 385 views)
Old 22 October 2016, 11:44 PM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

It's a beauty, isn't it? I think you can get possibly 5-10% off from an AD here, try the smaller town ADs, but prices have tightened on most brands post Brexit.

Old 23 October 2016, 12:04 AM   #26
justdate
"TRF" Member

Yes this currency weakening does change things a bit, I do wonder if there really will be a UK price increase to rebalance Uk prices vs RoW.

Before making the purchase I would really like to try the 44mm ROO one more time, but live on the coast a good couple of hours from London so hard to arrange.

Great pic of your Nautilis. Do you have a pic of it side by the ROO 44mm? I'd love to see it if you do.
Old 23 October 2016, 12:13 AM   #27
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I love the 5711R and think it is the right choice!

Old 23 October 2016, 02:10 AM   #28
cervantes
"TRF" Member

5711 in RG is beautiful if you dig the look. 5164 RG is also real nice.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 07:03 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I love the 5711R and think it is the right choice!

I have this pic but the PP is raised in the cushion to level them out a bit more for a flat shot, in reality the ROO is quite a lot bigger.

We did just have a 10% price rise a couple of months ago which is why you might be able to get that back now, before that even 5% was tough, it might still be tho. I just had a look on chrono24 and they are all selling for way above retail, one renowned jeweller who I nearly bought my ROO from has it at £7K over retail! The times are insane, maybe retail is a good deal now, like popular Rolexes.

Old 23 October 2016, 07:26 AM   #30
Tz1983
"TRF" Member

5711 owner here in SS. The R is a personal grail watch and would encourage you aim there but have you looked at brequets marines in RG? While I like the aquanaut I'd stick with the nautilus if buying PP for a number of reasons. I personally don't love the new yacht master and would chose the classic brequet dials especially if you are looking for a blend of sporty and formal.

Tz1983 is offline   Reply With Quote