The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 October 2016, 02:26 AM   #1
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member

Buying an unsealed watch

To the knowledgeable PP lovers-

I'm purchasing my first Patek and have a question.
Is there a difference in purchasing a double sealed piece versus one that is already opened and available for trying on?

Is there potential for a discount on a piece in the showcase versus a sealed safe queen?

To clarify I'm buying from a PP AD.

Thanks in advance.
Dr.Teatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 02:35 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Teatime View Post
To the knowledgeable PP lovers-

I'm purchasing my first Patek and have a question.
Is there a difference in purchasing a double sealed piece versus one that is already opened and available for trying on?

Is there potential for a discount on a piece in the showcase versus a sealed safe queen?

To clarify I'm buying from a PP AD.

Thanks in advance.
I think it depends on the watch you are buying and also your personality - as to how OCD you are.

Many collectors keep certain watches as a safe queen and never wear the watch. Others roate their collection and wear them regularly.

Some want a watch to never see daylight before it is taken out of the plastic wrapper whereas others will gladly buy a watch that has been on display at an AD for months, meaning that most likely a dozen or so people would have tried it on before your purchase.

In general, I feel ADs who have slow selling pieces that are sitting around are motivated to work with the price of the watch compared to in-demand watches that people are on a waiting list for.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 02:51 AM   #3
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
No difference in discount. Like BJ stated, slower sellers are most likely in the showcase and more sought after pieces may be sitting in the safe (5167, 5711/1a, 5712, and more expensive pieces like 5270) If you are buying a watch in the showcase just be sure to examine it to make sure it has no scratches on it from customers constantly handling it and trying it on. More often than not an AD will put a cellophane wrap around the head of the watch to prevent any damage from customers trying it on. Congrats in advance on getting your first Patek! Which model do you have your sights set on?

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 03:31 AM   #4
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I have never worried about getting the watch double sealed. In fact the only watch I ever bought that was still in the Shipping container was my 5575G. If they are new and not damaged I will buy it since I wear them.

Rolex watches usually still have the protective plastic still in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 October 2016, 03:41 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

You should get a 15% discount, perhaps more depending on model. Check Chrono24 for prices. I find it very informative to call other dealers saying you have one for sale to see what the difference is between new and what it is sold for in like-new condition.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 04:12 AM   #6
imcarnuts
"TRF" Member

Never cared. ADs have to have pieces on display. Application pieces or pieces that you are on a waiting list for are a different story. IMHO they should be double sealed. As much for the pomp & circumstance as anything.
imcarnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 04:12 AM   #7
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
You should get a 15% discount, perhaps more depending on model. Check Chrono24 for prices. I find it very informative to call other dealers saying you have one for sale to see what the difference is between new and what it is sold for in like-new condition.
If I understand your post correctly to suggest that there is a 15% discount for "unsealed" Pateks, then I would disagree. Or at least this is contrary to my experience.

Discounts, if any, relate to the demand for a particularly piece. Factory sealed or not. My experience is limited to AD's though, so I can't comment on how the grey market operates.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 05:38 AM   #8
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Which model do you have your sights set on?
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a 5712 1/A.
My AD has one that is opened- of course wrapped in a cellophane piece. I think I'll pull the trigger- getting a very good deal- just wondering if the opened nature leads to a bargaining point. Of course, I don't want to overstep boundaries and break etiquette.
Old 23 October 2016, 06:49 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Tony64, since I travel 15% is minimum due to getting VAT back and some dealers understand this. Agree it depends on model, such as enamel rarities. A smart shopper can wait for the right timing and deal, and thus opened unsealed should be same as Euro buy in my eyes. Sure he could probably save a lot more getting a dealer one that someone else is selling as new. It might reduce the warranty a bit, yet good deals even from AD can be had from an educated buyer.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 23 October 2016, 06:50 AM   #10
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My AD has one that is opened- of course wrapped in a cellophane piece. I think I'll pull the trigger- getting a very good deal- just wondering if the opened nature leads to a bargaining point. Of course, I don't want to overstep boundaries and break etiquette.
Excellent Choice! The fact that it is opened won't give you any bargaining power IMO on price but it is great that you are getting a good deal as I am sure you know the 5712/1a is a popular piece. Looking forward to seeing some wrist shots

Old 23 October 2016, 10:18 PM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like there are many for sale worldwide, plenty of them on Chrono24

http://www.chrono24.com/en/search/in...ccessoryTypes=

i find the site a great resource to see the true **ASKING** price of timepieces. You may get a better deal by bargaining, so contact a few sellers with your offer. And yes, with Pateks they generally do come with full box, papers, etc like new with AD stamp / warrantee and all.

Old 2 November 2016, 08:55 AM   #12
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Looks like there are many for sale worldwide, plenty of them on Chrono24

http://www.chrono24.com/en/search/in...ccessoryTypes=

i find the site a great resource to see the true **ASKING** price of timepieces. You may get a better deal by bargaining, so contact a few sellers with your offer. And yes, with Pateks they generally do come with full box, papers, etc like new with AD stamp / warrantee and all.
x2

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 09:05 AM   #13
de66
"TRF" Member

No big worries.
Offial ADs are officially not allowed to sell double sealed and are instructed to unseal the watch before the customers eyes.

Many sellers offering double sealed will post pics with numbers made unreadable "to avoid abuse by scammers"

The more truthful reason?
Patek knows through the numbers on the shipping boxes (first if the double seals) exactly to which AD that specific watch was delivered.

I do not know or have seen any watch sold by any of the Patek Salons sold in double sealed fashion.

So no, there is no major difference (so no special bargaining advantage) and I wouldnt pay a single cent more for it.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Quote:
Go for it if you are getting a good deal. Asking for a discount couldn't hurt, you never know until you ask!
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2016, 02:12 AM   #15
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Never hurts to ask for a discount as it's not double-sealed.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2016, 03:11 AM   #16
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I am a bit OCD when comes to expensive watch purchase and the more expensive it is, the more I will ask my AD for the watch to come in a brand-new untouched condition and in case of Patek, double sealed and in the shipping box.

Sometimes watches on display have been handled and tried many times by customers and I am just not comfortable with that thought. For PP, since almost all the desirable models are never on display and need to order/ put on waiting list, I guess it should be more often than not comes in double-sealed box.
Old 4 November 2016, 03:16 AM   #17
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the comments.
I hope to post some wrist shots soon.
Old 4 November 2016, 03:47 AM   #18
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I am a bit OCD when comes to expensive watch purchase and the more expensive it is, the more I will ask my AD for the watch to come in a brand-new untouched condition and in case of Patek, double sealed and in the shipping box.

Sometimes watches on display have been handled and tried many times by customers and I am just not comfortable with that thought. For PP, since almost all the desirable models are never on display and need to order/ put on waiting list, I guess it should be more often than not comes in double-sealed box.
I agree Ben but in the US as others have stated ADs are instructed to dispose of the cardboard box the watch comes in. It seems that ADs in Europe are much more likely to give you all of the boxes it came in. I was fortunate with my 3940g-029 that it was single sealed and I was able to keep the cardboard jacket and everything it came with. Way too many people in this day and age just like to go into a store to try on expensive pieces with no intention of buying all for the sake of putting a pic up on Instagram or other social media outlets.

Old 4 November 2016, 04:26 AM   #19
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I agree Ben but in the US as others have stated ADs are instructed to dispose of the cardboard box the watch comes in. It seems that ADs in Europe are much more likely to give you all of the boxes it came in. I was fortunate with my 3940g-029 that it was single sealed and I was able to keep the cardboard jacket and everything it came with. Way too many people in this day and age just like to go into a store to try on expensive pieces with no intention of buying all for the sake of putting a pic up on Instagram or other social media outlets.

I never will tire of seeing pictures of that beautiful watch!
Old 4 November 2016, 07:06 PM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

Same for me...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote