The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 June 2018, 11:19 AM   #1
CDub Rolex
"TRF" Member

Luck at Paris PP Salon?

I’m headed to France in a few months ... I plan to stop into Paris PP salon ... what are the odds they would have even one nautilus for me to try on? LOL
CDub Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:21 AM   #2
RollieRoll
Banned

None
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:23 AM   #3
tng11
"TRF" Member

Zero. The Paris Salon does not have display models, and my understanding is their waitlists for SS Nautilus are long closed.

If you can make your way to Geneva (might not be that long of a trip depending on where else you end up in France), they have the whole lineup for you to try on to your heart's content. The service there is absolutely exquisite.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 03:43 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub Rolex View Post
I’m headed to France in a few months ... I plan to stop into Paris PP salon ... what are the odds they would have even one nautilus for me to try on? LOL
none... however the big grey dealers all have them so if you are in london for example there are about 3 or 4 with stores and they all always have at least one and you can try them on. Paris is probably similar although i dont know where the secondary dealers are located.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 04:37 PM   #5
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Japan grey in Shinjuku and Nagano have them all
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 06:02 PM   #6
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
They’ll have them for you to try on but not in SS!

I popped in last year and as you can imagine when asking about the SS range stock was zero however they sat me down and brought out all the equivalent versions in other materials, they didn’t have a 5711 in any form but had a good selection of the complication Nautilus pieces.

Are you planing on stopping off in the UK? I know the Basel demo pieces have been doing the rounds which includes the popular SS models.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 06:08 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
They’ll have them for you to try on but not in SS!

I popped in last year and as you can imagine when asking about the SS range stock was zero however they sat me down and brought out all the equivalent versions in other materials, they didn’t have a 5711 in any form but had a good selection of the complication Nautilus pieces.

Are you planing on stopping off in the UK? I know the Basel demo pieces have been doing the rounds which includes the popular SS models.
not sure about that currently. London salon has zero nautilus or aquanauts in PM or any other metal.

The 5712G is about the only one there is a chance that might be there but AFAIK they operate a WL for that too. crazy

IMO for populars the salon is about the worst stocked places there are. Out of the way AD's and you could get lucky for some of the more moderately popular ones.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 June 2018, 06:28 PM   #8
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
not sure about that currently. London salon has zero nautilus or aquanauts in PM or any other metal.

The 5712G is about the only one there is a chance that might be there but AFAIK they operate a WL for that too. crazy

IMO for populars the salon is about the worst stocked places there are. Out of the way AD's and you could get lucky for some of the more moderately popular ones.
Really when I popped down the other week they sat me down and handed me the Nautilus TT chrono, the gold chrono on leather and the 5164r this was the London Salon so must of been lucky.

As for my Paris Salon experience that was over a year ago now, can’t beleive we are half way through 2018

But agree for major city AD/Salons stock is going to be limited, best options or out of the way AD’s, Grey dealers or of there’s a Basel demo event going on anywhere.

Pragnell’s on Mount St London had the Basel demo models in recently and the had the majority of the SS range (missing white 5711a, 5167a)

Correction: I’m getting my dates mixed up Pragnell’s was a couple of weeks back the salon was about a month now.
Old 21 June 2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Xelorpepsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The staff can a bit rude in this store especially if you don't speak French, but if you show them you know what you are talking about they usually try to help you. I was able to try on the 5712R with the crocodile skin bracelet and the 5980/1AR last year.

As much as I hate to say that, French people especially in this kind of stores are very judgemental. Sales people expect you to be relatively well dressed to even look at you... Coming to the store with a PP (or a premium watch) is a must and would massively facilitate any conversation. A few words in French as well...

Alternatively, you can try the following resellers:
- Montres Modernes & Collection (MMC) - 9, rue Marbeuf, Paris 8
- Romain Rea - 25, rue Marbeuf, Paris 8 (they have 3 stores in Paris)
- Le Collection' Heure - 45, rue Pierre Charon, Paris 8

These are the three most trusted resellers in Paris and have a great selection of PP, AP, etc. There will be no glass of champagne, but you can be pretty sure you will be able to try on at least one or two models you like.

Hope it helps!
Xelorpepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 07:51 PM   #10
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelorpepsi View Post
The staff can a bit rude in this store especially if you don't speak French, but if you show them you know what you are talking about they usually try to help you. I was able to try on the 5712R with the crocodile skin bracelet and the 5980/1AR last year.

As much as I hate to say that, French people especially in this kind of stores are very judgemental. Sales people expect you to be relatively well dressed to even look at you... Coming to the store with a PP (or a premium watch) is a must and would massively facilitate any conversation. A few words in French as well...

These are the three most trusted resellers in Paris and have a great selection of PP, AP, etc. There will be no glass of champagne, but you can be pretty sure you will be able to try on at least one or two models you like.

Hope it helps!

Really?! See my experience was the total opposite!

The Patek salon at Place Vendôme and the Rolex boutique opposite were two of the most welcoming visits I’ve had.
Patek took my wife and I into the shop and said they couldn’t help with SS models but happy to bring out as many of the TT/PM as they could to give me an idea very friendly and we weren’t exactly well dressed and I can’t soeka a word of French.
Likewise Rolex took us downstairs, they did say no pictures but brought out a few of the diamond encrusted masterpiece models for my wife and I.

Have to say overall and compared to NY and London I found Paris so much more friendly.
Old 21 June 2018, 09:00 PM   #11
Xelorpepsi
"TRF" Member

Interesting feedback. Maybe the treatment is different depending on your nationality. It's relatively rare to see a French client being not dressed up if (s)he wants to buy a watch or any other luxury item. On the contrary, never experienced that problem in the US or Asia.

The only place in Paris where the treatment is always bad is the AP store, but that's a different story :)
Old 21 June 2018, 09:00 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Really?! See my experience was the total opposite!

The Patek salon at Place Vendôme and the Rolex boutique opposite were two of the most welcoming visits I’ve had.
Patek took my wife and I into the shop and said they couldn’t help with SS models but happy to bring out as many of the TT/PM as they could to give me an idea very friendly and we weren’t exactly well dressed and I can’t soeka a word of French.
Likewise Rolex took us downstairs, they did say no pictures but brought out a few of the diamond encrusted masterpiece models for my wife and I.

Have to say overall and compared to NY and London I found Paris so much more friendly.
Your French accent must really be coming along.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:00 PM   #13
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really when I popped down the other week they sat me down and handed me the Nautilus TT chrono, the gold chrono on leather and the 5164r this was the London Salon so must of been lucky.

As for my Paris Salon experience that was over a year ago now, can’t beleive we are half way through 2018

But agree for major city AD/Salons stock is going to be limited, best options or out of the way AD’s, Grey dealers or of there’s a Basel demo event going on anywhere.

Pragnell’s on Mount St London had the Basel demo models in recently and the had the majority of the SS range (missing white 5711a, 5167a)

Correction: I’m getting my dates mixed up Pragnell’s was a couple of weeks back the salon was about a month now.
My experience at the London Salon was interesting - me and my friend initially had a pretty cold reception. Granted, we were dressed like bums by European standards. But when we asked to see something, and then got to talking watches with the rep, they really opened up and the service was great from there.

In contrast, we had a very warm and welcoming reception at Wempe and William and Son right off the bat before we even revealed what we were wearing. We didn't bother with anything from the Aurum group.
Old 21 June 2018, 10:22 PM   #14
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
My experience at the London Salon was interesting - me and my friend initially had a pretty cold reception. Granted, we were dressed like bums by European standards. But when we asked to see something, and then got to talking watches with the rep, they really opened up and the service was great from there.

In contrast, we had a very warm and welcoming reception at Wempe and William and Son right off the bat before we even revealed what we were wearing. We didn't bother with anything from the Aurum group.
Funny you should say that as I had similar at the Salon, took a seat to the left of the door in the waiting area with one guy in front of me, the SA came over, I didn’t hear what the guy asked for but he said the list was closed and that’s were that convo ended and the guy left, the SA turned to me so I thought ‘Oh great here we go’ I just said something along the lines of ‘I know all the SS models are in high demand but I just wanted to get a feel of size/look and happy with try out PM pieces! Not sure if that helped or as he clocked my openworked which he commented on before saying how sought after SS PP are but he’d happily show me what they have, plus quite early on we came to realise he used to work with a friend of mine at at another PP AD so that helped as well.

As for Wempe I didn’t get passed the front door being opened! But I know of two very happy clients of theirs so might of just been a combination of my look and their day haha

Must admit though I was in a tracksuit and hoodie

Pragnell’s on Mount street have been great as well.
Old 21 June 2018, 10:35 PM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I guess it depends on the person you are interacting at time of visit and perhaps his or her mood, and how they size you up. Walked pass the Patek Salon at the Platz Vendome when I was staying there but never enter as the double glassed doors and security made it look so unwelcoming.
Old 21 June 2018, 11:35 PM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I have visited the Paris Salon several times and your experience really depends on the salesperson you interact with. There are some cultural aspects to consider when interacting with a native French vs a native English speaker. Also you are forcing a SA to speak his/her non-native language, which is not very easy when trying to develop a rapport with a client.

I would rate the London Salon to be the most pleasant Salon to visit, followed by the Geneva Salon, with the Paris Salon trailing the other two. However if you speak French fluently, you experience may differ significantly.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:40 PM   #17
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Funny you should say that as I had similar at the Salon, took a seat to the left of the door in the waiting area with one guy in front of me, the SA came over, I didn’t hear what the guy asked for but he said the list was closed and that’s were that convo ended and the guy left, the SA turned to me so I thought ‘Oh great here we go’ I just said something along the lines of ‘I know all the SS models are in high demand but I just wanted to get a feel of size/look and happy with try out PM pieces! Not sure if that helped or as he clocked my openworked which he commented on before saying how sought after SS PP are but he’d happily show me what they have, plus quite early on we came to realise he used to work with a friend of mine at at another PP AD so that helped as well.

As for Wempe I didn’t get passed the front door being opened! But I know of two very happy clients of theirs so might of just been a combination of my look and their day haha

Must admit though I was in a tracksuit and hoodie

Pragnell’s on Mount street have been great as well.
I almost didn't get through the front door of Boodles on Sloane Street! But once inside and I started dropping reference numbers, again, they warmed up pretty quickly.

Didn't have time to stop into Pragnell's, but I should do that on my next visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I have visited the Paris Salon several times and your experience really depends on the salesperson you interact with. There are some cultural aspects to consider when interacting with a native French vs a native English speaker. Also you are forcing a SA to speak his/her non-native language, which is not very easy when trying to develop a rapport with a client.

I would rate the London Salon to be the most pleasant Salon to visit, followed by the Geneva Salon, with the Paris Salon trailing the other two. However if you speak French fluently, you experience may differ significantly.
I think the setting and service of the Geneva Salon is unbeatable. Likely that's because I was referred to a rep that clearly was very comfortable speaking English. I have some French skills (thanks Quebecois), but normally not good enough to be discussing watches. I've found in Geneva, every boutique I went into, the reps were all very comfortable speaking in English, in contrast to Paris.
Old 21 June 2018, 11:41 PM   #18
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I guess it depends on the person you are interacting at time of visit and perhaps his or her mood, and how they size you up. Walked pass the Patek Salon at the Platz Vendome when I was staying there but never enter as the double glassed doors and security made it look so unwelcoming.
You needed to show ‘The Passion’
Old 21 June 2018, 11:48 PM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I almost didn't get through the front door of Boodles on Sloane Street! But once inside and I started dropping reference numbers, again, they warmed up pretty quickly.
its still about the only AD in London of any brand i have never been inside. Don't know why, but i haven't
Old 22 June 2018, 12:27 AM   #20
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its still about the only AD in London of any brand i have never been inside. Don't know why, but i haven't
Didn’t know there was one until we walked past it that time
Old 22 June 2018, 01:04 AM   #21
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Arnaud did a post of his visit to the Paris salon a couple of years ago. Can anyone post a link as I can’t find it?
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:08 AM   #22
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
You needed to show ‘The Passion’
Old 22 June 2018, 11:12 AM   #23
CDub Rolex
"TRF" Member

That’s a starting point at least so I know how it fits on my wrist. I have a 205mm wrist and I’m a little concerned it might feel too small.

Taking the VAT refund and lower price MSRP, I might be tempted to grab a rose gold variant!

[lQUOTE=SC11;8695834]They’ll have them for you to try on but not in SS!

Are you planing on stopping off in the UK? I know the Basel demo pieces have been doing the rounds which includes the popular SS models.[/QUOTE]
Old 22 June 2018, 11:15 AM   #24
CDub Rolex
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for the information. I plan to spend one whole day watch shopping in the Place Venom area including Bovet, FP Journe, Vacheron and A Lange! I might need to swap out for at least one of your other shops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelorpepsi View Post

Hope it helps!
Old 22 June 2018, 02:49 PM   #25
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
For non watch shopping at Place Vendome, I’d recommend Charvet for men’s clothing accessories. That shop is amazing.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:52 PM   #26
Donjo
"TRF" Member

I was in the Paris salon last year and basically ignored. I already own the 5712. I asked about the 5711 and the salesman laughed and walked away. Kinda rude, but this has been my experience in Paris. On the other hand, I was contemplating a Rolex Day/Date in Platinum and they bent over backwards to help.
Donjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:15 PM   #27
Xelorpepsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for the information. I plan to spend one whole day watch shopping in the Place Venom area including Bovet, FP Journe, Vacheron and A Lange! I might need to swap out for at least one of your other shops!
Feel free to send me a PM if you need more addresses and/or help for Paris. Very happy to help you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
For non watch shopping at Place Vendome, I’d recommend Charvet for men’s clothing accessories. That shop is amazing.
Charvet is probably the nicest (bespoke) shirt-maker I have ever come across. Prices have massively increased over the past fifteen years, but the quality is absolutely stellar even years after the initial purchase.
Old 22 June 2018, 09:30 PM   #28
CDub Rolex
"TRF" Member

I actually might be able to swing a day trip to Geneva ... worth it? If it is a Saturday, do I have to make an appointment?

Quote:
Zero. The Paris Salon does not have display models, and my understanding is their waitlists for SS Nautilus are long closed.

If you can make your way to Geneva (might not be that long of a trip depending on where else you end up in France), they have the whole lineup for you to try on to your heart's content. The service there is absolutely exquisite.
Old 23 June 2018, 02:38 AM   #29
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So glad I stopped into Geneva while I was there. Tried on just about everything and the associate didn’t have a care in the world. He even pushed me to try on references I wasn’t considering.
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 02:38 AM   #30
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually might be able to swing a day trip to Geneva ... worth it? If it is a Saturday, do I have to make an appointment?
100% worth it
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote