The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 31 March 2022, 05:06 PM   #1
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DateJust 16013
TT DJ 16013 - Takes a Licking and Keeps on Ticking . . . with Style

In February 1987 I bought a new TT DateJust 16013 from an AD in So California. The list price was $2,800. After a discount and adding two extra links, I paid $2,390. A few weeks ago, my AD sent it to the RSC for servicing. It's been serviced three times before (1992, 1998 and 2009). It's pretty much been an everyday watch since I bought it, and I've always been a little rough with it.

The first two times it was serviced there were no additional parts needed. In 2009, in addition to the servicing, the watch required a new bracelet and other parts totaling $2,586. A week ago, the RSC advised that in addition to servicing, the watch requires a new case and case back which totals $1,670.

So, not counting routine servicing, I have $6,646 invested in the watch (purchase price $2,390 + 2009 parts $2,586 + 2022 parts $1,670). When the watch gets back from the RSC in few more weeks it'll look like new and all for $6,646 over 35 years. Now that's a pretty good deal. Especially since a new TT DJ retails at $12,000.

Here's a photo of in its the original box after the 2009 servicing:

Denver Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 07:59 PM   #2
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
I think its terrible to spend that much $ thru the years just on maintenance for a $2800 Dj. You don't have a 2022 DJ you still 1987 model that is worth not much more than you payed in 87
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 02:00 AM   #3
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Yeah there’s no way I’m letting Rolex gouge me like that, there’s other more affordable and frankly extremely high quality reconditioning services available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 02:56 AM   #4
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
I say good for you. One of the reasons things don't seem to last as long today is because people don't maintain them.

There's something to be said for maintaining something for more than 35 years. I think the thing that gets lost on some people is that it isn't always about what its worth to others, more so what its worth to you, and maintaining things and keeping them nice. BTW, I turn 39 tomorrow, and my birth year 16013 says hi.

Wear it in good health, and enjoy.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 01:22 AM   #5
ainterian
"TRF" Member

What in the world would require it to need a new case and case back? Severe oxidation? Damaged threads?
ainterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 05:08 AM   #6
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainterian View Post
What in the world would require it to need a new case and case back? Severe oxidation? Damaged threads?
Yeah I am wondering the same thing. Why would it need a new case? Especially if its been serviced regularly (seals should be ok).

It also looks like they also replaced your dial at some point. It has the modern luminova "SWISS MADE" instead of the original "T SWISS MADE T" Tritium dial. What prompted the dial replacement?

With a replacement dial and replacement case, this is effectively not the same watch anymore.
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 06:05 AM   #7
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseRat View Post
Yeah I am wondering the same thing. Why would it need a new case? Especially if its been serviced regularly (seals should be ok).

It also looks like they also replaced your dial at some point. It has the modern luminova "SWISS MADE" instead of the original "T SWISS MADE T" Tritium dial. What prompted the dial replacement?

With a replacement dial and replacement case, this is effectively not the same watch anymore.
It's been an every-day watch since it bought it. It was not serviced regularly. I had an aftermarket mineral crystal installed shortly after I bought it, I was pretty rough on the acrylic. Later I dropped it and the mineral crystal shattered. So, I had it replaced, but the dial and hands had been scratched, at least when viewed with a 10x loupe.

In 2009, 11 years after the last regular servicing back in 1998, it was serviced at the RSC in Lititz, Pa. The mineral crystal was replaced with an acrylic one. The dial and all hands were discolored and scratched (replaced), the bracelet was worn beyond repair (replaced - credit for gold value of old bracelet), the case lugs were worn and the case/case-back were corroded, dinged, and scratched (I was advised they could "save it, but next time . . .").

Now, 12 1/2 years later, I have it back to the RSC for servicing. Not surprisingly, the case was corroded again and I was told it needed to be replaced. So now, except for the 3035 movement and bezel, the other major components of the watch are not original. However, my Rolex is going to look great as it always does after servicing. It should be noted that notwithstanding all that it's been through, the 3035 movement has always been very accurate.

Old 16 April 2022, 06:33 AM   #8
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Cool story. Any pictures of how beat up it was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dick View Post
In February 1987 I bought a new TT DateJust 16013 from an AD in So California. The list price was $2,800. After a discount and adding two extra links, I paid $2,390.

So, not counting routine servicing, I have $6,646 invested in the watch (purchase price $2,390 + 2009 parts $2,586 + 2022 parts $1,670).
$2,390 in 1987 is worth $6,030.20 in 2022. Don't forget that.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 05:34 AM   #9
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Cool story. Any pictures of how beat up it was?

$2,390 in 1987 is worth $6,030.20 in 2022. Don't forget that.
Yeah . . . but I've used it (and enjoyed it) for 35 years, so . . .

Old 30 April 2022, 11:13 PM   #10
carwash66
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Quote:
That outweighs the costs, by far. Being on your wrist for 35 years is priceless. Also, wearing and not obsessing over the next hot reference is refreshing to see. Continue to enjoy in good health!
Old 2 May 2022, 08:36 PM   #11
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Indeed. You have used the heck out of it my friend. And I applaud you.

IMOP, you are wearing your DJ as intended by Rolex. And you have a ton of memories. Outstanding!

And thank you for your service.
Old 2 May 2022, 08:42 PM   #12
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurphy View Post
Yeah there’s no way I’m letting Rolex gouge me like that, there’s other more affordable and frankly extremely high quality reconditioning services available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$1,670 for RSC service and new case and case back. How is that gouging?
Old 2 May 2022, 08:57 PM   #13
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
I think its terrible to spend that much $ thru the years just on maintenance for a $2800 Dj. You don't have a 2022 DJ you still 1987 model that is worth not much more than you payed in 87
Terrible? Surely you jest.

For OP it is a watch. A watch he wanted to buy because he liked it. And wanted to use for its' intended purpose - wearing.

Not an investment. And from that perspective, he has gotten a heck of a lot more out his Rolex than the safe queen keepers and investors.

Rolex was marketed as a robust watch of quality that you could walk into an AD in any county and get repaired. A watch for life. That is the legend that built Rolex. Not instagram flavors of the week or flippers who are out to make a buck.