The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 30 July 2020, 12:42 AM   #1
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
London AP house visit

Got a chance to visit AP house in London yesterday, here are some pics.

All starts out at a very inconspicuous doorway on Bond St. with just a gold plaque, easily missed (which I did first time around!)

And proceeded to lobby which I had to wait 40 mins cause my appointment SA running over with another client

Finally made it in and was seated in an area with sofas and greeted by SA and drinks

Really like the relaxed atmosphere and continue to discuss some references with my SA and he then came back to produce these stunning pieces. 15500st blue dial and 15450st ruthenium.

Wanted to try both these for sizes as my wrist is small at about 6.25 inches. But for me the 41mm fit so much better than the 37mm, maybe doesn’t show as well in the photos but in person definitely.

But the blue dial was absolutely stunning and so mesmerizing with the grand tappasserie, didn't want to take it off!

So the discussion then went downhill in that he mentions there is multiple year wait on the blue dial and around 1 year for black and grey 15500st. Heart sank as really wanted my first AP from AP but I’m impatient and don’t want wait that long so grey dealer may be only option...

My partner also tried on the new release 34mm RO 77350st which she loved.

She also tried the 37mm for oversize look but think the 34mm suits much better

Also a Offshore navy I tried. Not into the offshores as much as I used to be so will definitely be chasing for a RO going forward!

On a separate note, I did plan to see a 15400st in a grey dealer on the trip (created a separate thread asking for condition check). But got an email from them the morning I arrived that the watch has just been sold, talk about bad timing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 12:49 AM   #2
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Thanks for sharing - awesome though that you got to try them on and it seems they were ready to offer you a spot on the list...
Watchflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 12:56 AM   #3
supernova
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Thanks for sharing - awesome though that you got to try them on and it seems they were ready to offer you a spot on the list...
Yes, I filled out my details to get onto the "list", but where I get inserted is another question. I'm guessing near the bottom since I don't have a history with them..
Old 30 July 2020, 12:56 AM   #4
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

In my experience with Patek and AP boutiques, the real waiting time is shorter than that quoted, often by some considerable margin. Might be worth getting on the list and giving it 6 months before making the grey market plunge, if you can hold on. Worth just keeping in touch with them over the period.
Old 30 July 2020, 01:19 AM   #5
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Nice that you got to try on all of those references! When I visited the boutique in Paris, after many friendly email exchanges I was rather abruptly told in person being upfront via email that I was visiting from the US that they would not sell to me, as they will only sell to locals. Not a great experience, and they could have made that position clear before I wasted my time.

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 01:39 AM   #6
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I like the 77350st.

Did you try it on yourself? I like the 34mm size. I don't like the price though, 18k CHF what the hell...
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 01:49 AM   #7
supernova
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I like the 77350st.

Did you try it on yourself? I like the 34mm size. I don't like the price though, 18k CHF what the hell...
I didn't try the 34mm as I already felt the 37mm was too small for my liking. I can't see the 34mm looking nice on any male sized wrist tbh, definitely targeted more for female wrists and introducing the automatic movement to smaller sizes as I believe the 33mm is only available in Quartz movement.
Old 30 July 2020, 01:53 AM   #8
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
I didn't try the 34mm as I already felt the 37mm was too small for my liking. I can't see the 34mm looking nice on any male sized wrist tbh, definitely targeted more for female wrists.
I think the 37mm looks so much better on you than the 41mm. The 41mm dial looks too big.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 02:08 AM   #9
supernova
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I think the 37mm looks so much better on you than the 41mm. The 41mm dial looks too big.
Looking at the photos, the 37mm might look better but in person on the wrist, definitely the 41mm and moving around. The SA also agreed the 41mm was much better fit for sporty look.

So even for others considering 41mm v 37mm, definitely need to go try in person as pics definitely can't show it well enough.
Old 30 July 2020, 02:16 AM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

do the AP houses (like the PP Salon in Geneva) have grail watches like the concept or tourbillion or CE pieces available to try on ? Cool concept with the relaxed atmosphere but if I can just try on a 15500 with a coffee seems not too exciting.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 02:20 AM   #11
supernova
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
do the AP houses (like the PP Salon in Geneva) have grail watches like the concept or tourbillion or CE pieces available to try on ? Cool concept with the relaxed atmosphere but if I can just try on a 15500 with a coffee seems not too exciting.
For me, I just provided a wishlist of pieces during appointment booking and they will try their best to accommodate on the day, but obviously no promises.

Blue 15500 was exciting to me and they did say was lucky to try on as they are generally very rare these days even to have one in the store to show. (could be marketing jabber though!)
Old 30 July 2020, 02:49 AM   #12
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For me, I just provided a wishlist of pieces during appointment booking and they will try their best to accommodate on the day, but obviously no promises.

Blue 15500 was exciting to me and they did say was lucky to try on as they are generally very rare these days even to have one in the store to show. (could be marketing jabber though!)
Understood, PP Salon in Geneva apparently has all watches available but without movement for some of them but at least clients can try them on and see how it looks on their wrist. Would be curious if AP offers the same?
Old 30 July 2020, 03:15 AM   #13
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I think size is totally a personal preference. For me I prefer bigger than smaller. 37mm seems too small for my 6.5" wrist and 41mm seems a bit too big, I preferred 41mm more than 37mm.

Most of AP boutiques will sell only to local people or face to face. If you can be on the wait list and when it's your turn, can they mail the watch to you if you're from out of town.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 03:42 AM   #14
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
I think size is totally a personal preference. For me I prefer bigger than smaller. 37mm seems too small for my 6.5" wrist and 41mm seems a bit too big, I preferred 41mm more than 37mm.

Most of AP boutiques will sell only to local people or face to face. If you can be on the wait list and when it's your turn, can they mail the watch to you if you're from out of town.
Ya it’s 100% up to the person

The 15500 was too big for me. I have the same size wrist as you and I don’t wear anything above 40mm. looking at it in mirror seemed fine but looking down at it seemed too large and heavy, AP associate agreed as well.
Sadly the 15202 is only a dream these days so just have to go w our gut

I do think the 15450 looks better on you OP, but always get what YOU like
Old 30 July 2020, 05:07 AM   #15
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Wearing my blue 15450 and really love the size on my 6” wrist. And the shade of blue is just awesome.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 07:28 AM   #16
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post

Yes they do.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 09:02 AM   #17
60sec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500, AP RO
Quote:
Looking at the photos, the 37mm might look better but in person on the wrist, definitely the 41mm and moving around. The SA also agreed the 41mm was much better fit for sporty look.

So even for others considering 41mm v 37mm, definitely need to go try in person as pics definitely can't show it well enough.

Both look great on you! I have the same size wrist (6.25”) and prefer the 41mm, as I do on you.

Any mention of wait time for the silver 15500?

60sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 12:26 AM   #18
supernova
"TRF" Member

Actually didn't ask about silver 15500 as I'm not a fan of light coloured dials, gave my wish list of blue -> black -> grey.

There was email followup on estimated time frames with my SA,

Blue dial is "multiple" year wait
Black and grey is "up to" a year or more

Would assume the silver would be similar to black/grey.
Old 31 July 2020, 01:49 AM   #19
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
How about 15202 ?
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 04:36 AM   #20
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Yes they do.

thanks - cant wait to go then ! that would make it amazing!
Old 31 July 2020, 05:05 AM   #21
doramas
Banned

I like the 15450 better on your wrist
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote