The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 July 2020, 11:57 PM   #1
boostafazoom
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on the 38mm ROO 26315ST?

I have the 15202, but I've been in the market for an even sportier one.

My wrist is tiny, and the 39mm is the largest size I can reasonably wear.

I've been seriously considering the 26315ST panda dial, but the following cons have been holding me back:
- 40 hour power reserve is really poor, I'm surprised it's even this low with new releases
- Does the bracelet taper in too much? Would be great to see how current owners feel on this
- non see-through caseback
- misaligned date

Current owners - would really appreciate your thoughts / opinions. Other alternatives and suggestions are also welcome.
boostafazoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 12:08 AM   #2
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I’ve had the 39mm ROC and now have the 26315st. The 38mm fits my wrist better than the 39mm. The issues you mentioned like 40hr PR, date location and solid case back don’t bother me cause these are characteristics of all ROCs. The bracelet taper is noticeable but still proportional to watch head. I got used to it and doesn’t bother me.

It’s a really nice and sporty RO.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 01:02 AM   #3
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostafazoom View Post
I have the 15202, but I've been in the market for an even sportier one.

My wrist is tiny, and the 39mm is the largest size I can reasonably wear.

I've been seriously considering the 26315ST panda dial, but the following cons have been holding me back:
- 40 hour power reserve is really poor, I'm surprised it's even this low with new releases
- Does the bracelet taper in too much? Would be great to see how current owners feel on this
- non see-through caseback
- misaligned date

Current owners - would really appreciate your thoughts / opinions. Other alternatives and suggestions are also welcome.
I have the 26315ST panda (blue subdials) and it's one of my favorite watches. It's absolutely perfect for those of us with small wrists. My wrist is 6.5" and mostly flat, so a bit bigger than you, but I think you're in the category where this watch is such a perfect choice. It's sporty, perfect for business and personal casual, and is really well-proportioned.

Let me address your concerns:

- 40 hour power reserve: Yes, it's low by modern standards. But never has it impacted me. However, I do use winders. Buy a nice winder for $300 to $500 and this problem is solved. Or, simply wind it every day.

- I don't think the bracelet tapers too much at all. I would say, I don't think this watch is for anybody with a 7" wrist or larger. The 41mm models are much better suited to those individuals.

- Yes, I'd "prefer" a sapphire caseback, but I don't wear the watch backwards and quite frankly the movement for AP chronos is nice, but rarely am I going to sit and stare at it. If I want to stare at a movement, it's most likely going to be an ALS, Journe, or Patek. Furthermore, a sapphire caseback is probably going to add some heft to the watch.

- Misaligned date: Admittedly this is the least favorite thing on this watch, but I think it's easy to get over. There are so many other plusses I don't let this ruin my overall view. If I was designing it, I'd probably just drop the date altogether.

Hope this helps!
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 01:06 AM   #4
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I have the 26315ST panda (blue subdials) and it's one of my favorite watches. It's absolutely perfect for those of us with small wrists. My wrist is 6.5" and mostly flat, so a bit bigger than you, but I think you're in the category where this watch is such a perfect choice. It's sporty, perfect for business and personal casual, and is really well-proportioned.

Let me address your concerns:

- 40 hour power reserve: Yes, it's low by modern standards. But never has it impacted me. However, I do use winders. Buy a nice winder for $300 to $500 and this problem is solved. Or, simply wind it every day.

- I don't think the bracelet tapers too much at all. I would say, I don't think this watch is for anybody with a 7" wrist or larger. The 41mm models are much better suited to those individuals.

- Yes, I'd "prefer" a sapphire caseback, but I don't wear the watch backwards and quite frankly the movement for AP chronos is nice, but rarely am I going to sit and stare at it. If I want to stare at a movement, it's most likely going to be an ALS, Journe, or Patek. Furthermore, a sapphire caseback is probably going to add some heft to the watch.

- Misaligned date: Admittedly this is the least favorite thing on this watch, but I think it's easy to get over. There are so many other plusses I don't let this ruin my overall view. If I was designing it, I'd probably just drop the date altogether.

Hope this helps!

+1

I also have the same model.

To add: to me, the date is a complete non-issue from an owner/wearer perspective. When the watch is on the wrist, the stunning dial and the bracelet is what I see.
Old 28 July 2020, 01:09 AM   #5
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Just picked up a 26315or and it’s perfect for my smaller wrist. I also have a 15450 and it wears bigger than that.

PR doesn’t bother me because I will only wear on special occasions and I don’t care about see through case backs given I’ve been wearing rolex for so long.

Some comparison pics for size purposes. The watch is pretty close to Daytona size.

AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 01:50 AM   #6
Sho-nuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP │ ALS
Quote:
Furthermore, a sapphire caseback is probably going to add some heft to the watch.
I would have thought a sapphire caseback would result in less heft, since the sapphire part is replacing a solid piece of steel.
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
Just picked up a 26315or and it’s perfect for my smaller wrist. I also have a 15450 and it wears bigger than that.

PR doesn’t bother me because I will only wear on special occasions and I don’t care about see through case backs given I’ve been wearing rolex for so long.

Some comparison pics for size purposes. The watch is pretty close to Daytona size.

Nice pics!
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 11:32 AM   #8
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho-nuff View Post
I would have thought a sapphire caseback would result in less heft, since the sapphire part is replacing a solid piece of steel.
Someone smarter than me can answer this, but this is rather typical with sapphire casebacks. I think the difference is negligible and may have to do with the natural thickness of crystal. But as I said, I'd rely on somebody much more knowledgeable than me to provide the true reasons this is often the case.
Old 28 July 2020, 10:50 PM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

It’s the best for <7
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 05:56 PM   #10
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post

Beautiful pairs, they all go so well together. I hope AP expands the 38 mils with some more gold models.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 09:18 PM   #11
Vipes
"TRF" Member

i have a feeling AP is clearing out the F.Piguet chrono movements and newer chronos will have their new in-house movement. Think the 38mm chronos will be short lived.
Old 2 August 2020, 07:06 AM   #12
Mini2
"TRF" Member

I love that rose 38mm
Is there any discount in the UK available for that piece
Thanks
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 07:53 AM   #13
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
i have a feeling AP is clearing out the F.Piguet chrono movements and newer chronos will have their new in-house movement. Think the 38mm chronos will be short lived.
I'm curious why you think this? The 37/38mm models have become incredibly hot and I think it would be a mistake to discontinue options in this size range.

I feel people are realizing that when it comes to the Royal Oak, it wears a good 2mm larger than the stated size.
Old 2 August 2020, 04:19 PM   #14
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
I'm curious why you think this? The 37/38mm models have become incredibly hot and I think it would be a mistake to discontinue options in this size range.

I feel people are realizing that when it comes to the Royal Oak, it wears a good 2mm larger than the stated size.
...because they found a new and random non-common size @ 38 to throw in a bunch of f piguets, perhaps left over or over produced waiting for new homes until the new in house chronos start kicking in which will no doubt start happening in the near future. The 38 mil is gorgeous though.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 09:39 PM   #15
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
...because they found a new and random non-common size @ 38 to throw in a bunch of f piguets, perhaps left over or over produced waiting for new homes until the new in house chronos start kicking in which will no doubt start happening in the near future. The 38 mil is gorgeous though.
Yup. Can’t keep changing dial color on the 41mm ROC with the same movement. I think AP is getting rid of the old movements and the new ROC will be redesigned with new movement. Just like what AP did with the 15500. Also, FB promised an in house chrono movement a few years ago. All just a guess on my part.