The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2018, 04:20 AM   #1
estrangable
"TRF" Member

Possible to ask for AD discount in UK?

Hi All - was thinking of acquiring a complication PP watch - 5205 and will like to check if there is any chance to ask for a AD discount and what will be the typical discount given for PP complication watches... at least i wont look stupid for asking for something unreasonable.

Am currently located in Liverpool UK - any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.
estrangable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 04:45 AM   #2
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrangable View Post
Hi All - was thinking of acquiring a complication PP watch - 5205 and will like to check if there is any chance to ask for a AD discount and what will be the typical discount given for PP complication watches... at least i wont look stupid for asking for something unreasonable.

Am currently located in Liverpool UK - any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Hi there - if you don’t ask, you don’t get. There is nothing unreasonable in asking for a discount as long as you are polite about it and realistic in your expectations. I managed to get a small discount this way on a 5167 in the UK.

I am no expert but the reference you mentioned is not particularly popular relative to the PP sport models so there should be some discount available if you shop around. It would be wise to do your research (chrono24 etc) to understand the residual value of this model as it may make sense to buy this particular reference preowned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 08:40 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
On a WG 5205 I think up to 15% is possible depending on how smooth you are, on the RG maybe 10%.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 10:45 AM   #4
SW1
Banned

Structly speaking an AD in the UK is not allowed to give a discount but it is done. My AD definately doesnt for anyone and any watch! However, ask tbrem to throw in a deployant clasp, extra strap and skme freebies and you will get away with it.
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Sam Philip
Banned

It is easy to negotiate a discount if the AD already has the watch in stock. I have seen both 5205G 010 and 5205R 010 in Boodles (Liverpool) and WOS Manchester. Like Neil mentioned a 15% discount is possible on 5205.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Recommend to ask in the morning of 12 July for maximum potential %

Unless the result goes the other way
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 04:54 PM   #7
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
On a WG 5205 I think up to 15% is possible depending on how smooth you are, on the RG maybe 10%.
Yeah, besides a few pieces most Pateks can be had for discounts. If you (OP) are new to the game don't worry about those few pieces anyways because you are not getting them.

Typically in Taiwan for a walk in the AD gives 10%, VIP 15%, I would start with 15%, 20% if you have a thick face.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:51 PM   #8
SW1
Banned

Let us know how much u got
Old 13 July 2018, 07:00 AM   #9
GM_FFX
"TRF" Member

Anyone knows an AD in Italy that would discount?
GM_FFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 10:51 PM   #10
estrangable
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1 View Post
Let us know how much u got
went to boodles and was quoted 2.5% discount... not 25%....2.5%. According to the salesperson, PP is a highly desirable product esp the complicated watches and will be sold out very quickly, thus no need for discount.
Old 19 July 2018, 12:38 AM   #11
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
went to boodles and was quoted 2.5% discount... not 25%....2.5%. According to the salesperson, PP is a highly desirable product esp the complicated watches and will be sold out very quickly, thus no need for discount.
Tell Jaime you arent some sucker who will pay full list and get a leather wallet in return LOL! That watch has probably sat there from when Brexit first occurred and that watch was 35% off taking into account 2016 pricing, a VAT refund and a weak pound.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 02:07 AM   #12
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Tell Jaime you arent some sucker who will pay full list and get a leather wallet in return LOL! That watch has probably sat there from when Brexit first occurred and that watch was 35% off taking into account 2016 pricing, a VAT refund and a weak pound.

OP is located in Liverpool so may have spoken to either Sam or Jo
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 02:26 AM   #13
estrangable
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post

OP is located in Liverpool so may have spoken to either Sam or Jo
cant remember the name but its a very sweet lady. But i almost fell off the chair when she said 2.5% discount.

I just didnt tell her i have been in town for almost 6 months and the same watch have been at the same spot for the whole period...
Old 19 July 2018, 03:46 AM   #14
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
cant remember the name but its a very sweet lady. But i almost fell off the chair when she said 2.5% discount.

I just didnt tell her i have been in town for almost 6 months and the same watch have been at the same spot for the whole period...
I don’t think how long they have had a piece makes a difference - my preferred AD has a ‘special’ box that doesn’t see the light of day unless a favoured client enquires - they are not in any rush to sell pieces and are audited by Rhone on the prices they achieve, in the main the UK is a very controlled market and all the better for it.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:46 AM   #15
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I don’t think how long they have had a piece makes a difference - my preferred AD has a ‘special’ box that doesn’t see the light of day unless a favoured client enquires - they are not in any rush to sell pieces and are audited by Rhone on the prices they achieve, in the main the UK is a very controlled market and all the better for it.
I think his point was if the lady says they sell out very quickly then why is the watch not sold for 6 months.

On the other hand UK does seemed to be more controlled than others. As far as I know Rhone is the only distributor in the world that will hold on to papers for watches like 5131 for two years before releasing it to the customers.
Old 19 July 2018, 04:49 AM   #16
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I think his point was if the lady says they sell out very quickly then why is the watch not sold for 6 months.

On the other hand UK does seemed to be more controlled than others. As far as I know Rhone is the only distributor in the world that will hold on to papers for watches like 5131 for two years before releasing it to the customers.
I don’t think any sales person would start a conversation on price by saying ‘we’ve had this piece for more than 6 months’.
Old 19 July 2018, 05:36 AM   #17
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t think any sales person would start a conversation on price by saying ‘we’ve had this piece for more than 6 months’.
Well obviously no sales would do that, OP should have called her out, that's what I would do (but would only do so if I am ready to buy on the spot), and see what she says.
Old 19 July 2018, 08:15 AM   #18
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well obviously no sales would do that, OP should have called her out, that's what I would do (but would only do so if I am ready to buy on the spot), and see what she says.
Answer would be - ‘we’ve sold 6 - one a month for the last 6 months’.
Some pieces do sell and get replaced very quickly, my AD sells lots of 24’s - if you were simply window browsing it would look like the same piece in stock. (Not suggesting this is the case for the
OP)
Old 19 July 2018, 12:57 PM   #19
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Answer would be - ‘we’ve sold 6 - one a month for the last 6 months’.
Some pieces do sell and get replaced very quickly, my AD sells lots of 24’s - if you were simply window browsing it would look like the same piece in stock. (Not suggesting this is the case for the
OP)
Lol OP should definitely change AD if that’s what she says.

Yeah I understand some pieces move quickly but 5205 is not one of them.
Old 19 July 2018, 01:07 PM   #20
SW1
Banned

Quote:
Lol OP should definitely change AD if that’s what she says.

Yeah I understand some pieces move quickly but 5205 is not one of them.
5205R-010 is notbeasy to get
Old 19 July 2018, 04:18 PM   #21
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
5205R-010 is notbeasy to get
Not easy as in not easy to find or not easy to get discount or both? OP has found one sitting for a while the only problem is discount.

I will check Taiwan AD this weekend to see if they got any, haven’t been to a AD in a while anyways, might as well take a walk around.
Old 19 July 2018, 11:19 PM   #22
SW1
Banned

Quote:
Not easy as in not easy to find or not easy to get discount or both? OP has found one sitting for a while the only problem is discount.

I will check Taiwan AD this weekend to see if they got any, haven’t been to a AD in a while anyways, might as well take a walk around.
Hard to get. Normally distributed in October each year. My AD gets one. Tbey are much more popular in Far East due to.metal. i visited 7 AD's in Hong Kong, both in Seoul and rounded ot all off in Beijing and tbey had none. So.whilst one might be lying on an obscure shelf somewhere i was always told one swallow doesnt make a summer (hope i spelled tbat correct). The black dial being extremely difficult to make
Old 24 July 2018, 05:21 PM   #23
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hard to get. Normally distributed in October each year. My AD gets one. Tbey are much more popular in Far East due to.metal. i visited 7 AD's in Hong Kong, both in Seoul and rounded ot all off in Beijing and tbey had none. So.whilst one might be lying on an obscure shelf somewhere i was always told one swallow doesnt make a summer (hope i spelled tbat correct). The black dial being extremely difficult to make
There are 3 major ADs in Taipei and I went to two of them today and both have the R in stock (one of them has two G), they both said discount can be had but would not discuss how much unless I am ready to buy on the spot, which is understandable.

Anyways, maybe you want to come to Taiwan if you really desire one.

As for black dial being extremely hard to make, I would not listen those marketing pitches from the manufacture or AD. I am in the manufacturing business and that's what I tell my customers too.